May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

12 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

there u go,

Merkel dishing out rebates to UK much to the chagrin of the newer/poorer EU states in central/Eastern Europe

mebbee the lass i UKs best friend . . . .

You have to be careful I posted that I admired the Germans for their economic success and was immediately pounced on,

"You have described yourself completely. Your admiration for the Germans is now in print." Apparently in Brexit World that is now a crime.

Just now, pitrevie said:

You have to be careful I posted that I admired the Germans for their economic success and was immediately pounced on,

"You have described yourself completely. Your admiration for the Germans is now in print." Apparently in Brexit World that is now a crime.

I think he'd be happier if you expressed your admiration for Greece.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So, are you saying that the rest of the EU was against the free trade treaty with Canada and Merkel somehow managed to give a rebate to the province  over every other nation's objections? It's clear that you don't have a clue about how the EU works.

And what makes it even clearer is how contradictory and foolish your statement is. One little province forces Germany to make concessions but Germany is all powerful? Such nonsense.

I think he was being sarcastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I like to think that if The UK took the position to be shafted and the EU states were behind all lined up, France will be  the one in front of the que and egging everyone else on . Germany and a few others would feign a headache and pass up the opportunity.

I think I know what you mean.

The German politicians and electorate (IMO) tend to be realists, and consequently more concerned about EU damage control, than 'punishment'.  Or at least 'punishment' beyond that necessary to keep the electorate of other paying countries worried about the consequences of voting to leave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

there u go,

Merkel dishing out rebates to UK much to the chagrin of the newer/poorer EU states in central/Eastern Europe

mebbee the lass i UKs best friend . . . .

Merkel has no power to 'dish out rebates', she isn't the EU

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Quite right but if you read posts by Khun Han you would think she was running the EU. I think this poster was making that point albeit with a dose of sarcasm.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Merkel is not officially the EU chief but she has far too much influence, along with the German banks and major corporations.

Juncker doesn't call Ghostbusters when there's a panic - he calls his Aunty Kasi - he was her candidate for EU commission president, after all.

Why did they call it Deutschland anyway?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpinx said:

https://www.ft.com/content/65e5c4ee-2ffc-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a?mhq5j=e1

Yanis Yarofakis  former greek finance minister 's book is worth reading.  He doesn't miss the Greeks and their corruption or tax evasion stuff etc, but his memoirs of trying to sort the problem out are a good example of how the EU actually works...

In the midst of the crisis the Greek Finance Minister cut a deal with the Chinese,  led and initiated by the Chinese Ambassador under instructions from Beijing - the deal was that the Chinese would buy 2 Billion Euros of Bonds from Greece - because the Chinese had just bought the main port and were keen to keep the economy going, but a couple of days later the Ambassador came back and profusely apologised and said that a “call” had been received from Germany. Merkel  runs the Union.

Quite a powerful woman that Merkel not only does she run the EU but apparently she can also dictate to the Chinese government. 

• Like 2

The constant anti-Germany diatribe is just one part of the Conspiracy Theorist storyline. The rest of it is even uglier. As for the anti-authoritarian rant, don't for one moment take this even slightly seriously. These guys just love authoritarianism, but only of a particular type. They are all lined up in support of Putin and were all waving the flag for the French National Front, so when you hear them prattle on don't forget the smelly whiff that accompanies their nonsense.

Edited by SheungWan

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with Germany having the most clout in the EU. They pay the most and because of them the Euro is as stable as it is, so they should have .  It's just this fantasy that the EU spew out that every member state is on an equal footing that makes me laugh. ? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with Germany having the most clout in the EU. They pay the most and because of them the Euro is as stable as it is, so they should have .  It's just this fantasy that the EU spew out that every member state is on an equal footing that makes me laugh. ? 

Watch the video by Professor Michael Dougan and he makes that very point. Very little gets passed in the EU without the agreement of the Big 3, Britain France and Germany. However as we have seen even a small province in Belgium can upset the apple cart and force adjustments so it isn't all one way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pitrevie said:

I think he was being sarcastic.

Thank you sir. I see at least one member of the "opposition" understands humour. A characteristic sadly lacking in today's world.

5 hours ago, Khun Han said:

All the signed-for, binding policies expire in 2020 apart from the pensions contributions. Why do you remainers keep going on about non-existent commitments? Do you actually want us to pay money that we don't owe in order to keep the EU solvent? If you don't, why do you keep going on about these non-existent commitments?

You act as if problems do not exist!

A post in violation of the "fair use" policy has been removed from this thread.

From the Forum Rules:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

2 hours ago, jpinx said:

https://www.ft.com/content/65e5c4ee-2ffc-11e7-9555-23ef563ecf9a?mhq5j=e1

Yanis Yarofakis  former greek finance minister 's book is worth reading.  He doesn't miss the Greeks and their corruption or tax evasion stuff etc, but his memoirs of trying to sort the problem out are a good example of how the EU actually works...

In the midst of the crisis the Greek Finance Minister cut a deal with the Chinese,  led and initiated by the Chinese Ambassador under instructions from Beijing - the deal was that the Chinese would buy 2 Billion Euros of Bonds from Greece - because the Chinese had just bought the main port and were keen to keep the economy going, but a couple of days later the Ambassador came back and profusely apologised and said that a “call” had been received from Germany. Merkel  runs the Union.

Apart from going around in a hip leather jacket and motorbike, pretty useless as finance minister. His only strategy was to try and drag things out as he was betting on EU split and capitulation to paying off the Greek government. In the end it was Syriza who folded and the PM sacked Yarofakis. Another Greek minister who had nothing except the usual begging bowl at the end of his arm.

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

A post in violation of the "fair use" policy has been removed from this thread.

From the Forum Rules:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Apologies...........I wasn't aware

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

You act as if problems do not exist!

The problems are being created by the EU negotiating team.

They are asking, nay demanding an extortionate amount of money for projects that are not due to start until after 2020 and have nothing to do with the UK and from which the UK will see no benefit.If you want to see the list, it is on many sites just Google it.

And you guys think the EU is being fair. Amazing.

57 minutes ago, Flustered said:

The problems are being created by the EU negotiating team.

They are asking, nay demanding an extortionate amount of money for projects that are not due to start until after 2020 and have nothing to do with the UK and from which the UK will see no benefit.If you want to see the list, it is on many sites just Google it.

And you guys think the EU is being fair. Amazing.

I was really just referring to the sheer logistics of leaving the EU. 

If you want to get a feel for the scale just look at one area, namely, Euratom.  There is a very good podcast on BBC 5live.  Brexitcast.

Regarding negotiations: eh! you were the one who reckoned it was possible to get a good deal :shock1: 

Give it 5 years and trying to find someone who admits to voting Leave will be like trying to find an Iraq war supporter (probably harder as the Iraq war was rather more popular than leaving the EU). I am beginning to suspect that the government already knows that Brexit is dead in the water but haven't yet worked out how they are going to break the news to the rest of us. Clue - the first sign will getting an extension to the leave date .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/13/conservative-mps-talks-labour-signing-uk-free-movement-brexit/

Edited by beautifulthailand99

10 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Give it 5 years and trying to find someone who admits to voting Leave will be like trying to find an Iraq war supporter (probably harder as the Iraq war was rather more popular than leaving the EU). I am beginning to suspect that the government already knows that Brexit is dead in the water but haven't yet worked out how they are going to break the news to the rest of us. Clue - the first sign will getting an extension to the leave date .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/13/conservative-mps-talks-labour-signing-uk-free-movement-brexit/

I would focus more on the next two years and how this is going to play out with both the Conservative and Labour Parties not having a united and disciplined group of MPs.

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I would focus more on the next two years and how this is going to play out with both the Conservative and Labour Parties not having a united and disciplined group of MPs.

A soft Brexit which will be a Remain in all but name will be the goal of the combined opposition. All they need is half a dozen Remainer tories to jump ship and it's game on. I think we will find the Liam Fox headbanging cliff jumping gang outgunned and outmanouvred pretty quickly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

A soft Brexit which will be a Remain in all but name will be the goal of the combined opposition. All they need is half a dozen Remainer tories to jump ship and it's game on. I think we will find the Liam Fox headbanging cliff jumping gang outgunned and outmanouvred pretty quickly. 

Not so sure.  Labour leadership wants out (surprisingly).  Corbyn sees EU as essentially right wing, and obstructive to goals such as nationalisation.

Also, there really isn't anything like soft Brexit that satisfies sovereignty and border control.

Unfortunately, a bunch of nuts voted out, and to them that means independence as USA, or Australia, or Bongo Bongo Land might have it.  They won.

Edited by mommysboy

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

So, are you saying that the rest of the EU was against the free trade treaty with Canada and Merkel somehow managed to give a rebate to the province  over every other nation's objections? It's clear that you don't have a clue about how the EU works.

And what makes it even clearer is how contradictory and foolish your statement is. One little province forces Germany to make concessions but Germany is all powerful? Such nonsense.

foolish?

ever heard of hitting balls not players, but mebbee you don't play

the post you quoted re merkel/friend/rebate etc etc, was ment as a joke, following the prev. post that mentioned

all powerful Germany, (I did not mention all powerful Germany)

any way I missed out the headline; THIS IS A JOKE,

but that is no reason to shift from hitting balls rather than players (not a joke)

foolish?

the post you quoted re merkel/friend/rebate etc etc, was ment as a joke, following the prev. post that mentioned

but that is no reason to shift from hitting balls rather than players (not a joke)

foolish?

foolish?