May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

38 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The FTSE isn't the big marker. The current expansion in manufacturing, financial markets, employment, etc, are.

Expansion?

Current UK growth is a laughable 0.5% which is worse than last year & projected growth(based on current trends) for later this year predicts further shrinkage to 0.3%.

So tell me Khun Han, is shrinking growth a big marker on the health of an economy or not?

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Because everything is now cut price. Even thesaurus manufacturers are ramping up because they get more profit from every export sale. HOWEVER imported components and material will be more expensive. Is this the way to build a great economy? Like Vietnam? UK needs to be knowledge based with the best brains selling the best products. But that's just me

Post-Brexit Britain chit-chat has gone through the European role models which it is supposedly going to follow: Norway and Switzerland the two mostly mentioned but jettisoned once the detail exposed. So now the latest one seized upon is not European at all. No, its not Vietnam. As mentioned on Bloomberg TV, step forward Singapore. That should entertain the anti-globalist wing of the Hard Brexiteers.

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Because everything is now cut price. Even thesaurus manufacturers are ramping up because they get more profit from every export sale. HOWEVER imported components and material will be more expensive. Is this the way to build a great economy? Like Vietnam? UK needs to be knowledge based with the best brains selling the best products. But that's just me

Nope, wrong. It's the home market which is driving economic expansion. If you kept up to date, you would be aware of the fact that exports aren't doing as well as was expected with a weak Sterling.

3 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Expansion?

Current UK growth is a laughable 0.5% which is worse than last year & projected growth(based on current trends) for later this year predicts further shrinkage to 0.3%.

So tell me Khun Han, is shrinking growth a big marker on the health of an economy or not?

It's not laughable when put into the context of how the rest of Europe is doing. Only Germany is performing better.

36 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It's not laughable when put into the context of how the rest of Europe is doing. Only Germany is performing better.

This is a thread about Brexit and how it effects the UK economy.

But, I understand why you avoided answering my question and attempted to change the subject with an off-topic, invalid comparison.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onthesoi said:

This is a thread about Brexit and how it effects the UK economy.

But, I understand why you avoided answering my question and attempted to change the subject with an off-topic, invalid comparison.

The UK economy is performing fine in a challenging world economic climate.

Your second sentence is ridiculous and utterly pathetic :sad:.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The UK economy is performing fine in a challenging world economic climate.

Once again ...the world economic climate has nothing to do with this thread or the pounds recent devaluation.

Once again ...I understand why you want to veer away from the subject at hand with another off topic comment.

Once again ...you are living in fantasy world where the UK economy is doing fine, even Nigel Farage doesn't believe that!

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Once again ...the world economic climate has nothing to do with this thread or the pounds recent devaluation.

Once again ...I understand why you want to veer away from the subject at hand with another off topic comment.

Once again ...you are living in fantasy world where the UK economy is doing fine, even Nigel Farage doesn't believe that!

Doncha just love onthesoi's ham-handed attempts to railroad the discussions into a direction that suits him? It's playground time again :laugh:.

6 minutes ago, Richard W said:
15 hours ago, Grouse said:

Finally, having discounted EU soft power as a force for good, I see now you are going for NATO. Have you noticed the lack of European wars for the last 70 years?

The Serbians won't have noticed a lack.

Nor will the Ukrainians. this is a nonsense diversion created by remainers. Why on earth would any first world European country go to war with another first world European country in this day and age? Germany used to do it long ago. But Germany realised that the way forward is economic dominance, and takeover through the backdoor of EU politics.

10 hours ago, onthesoi said:

e2a@ Grouse beat me to it!

Around 70% of the FTSE 100 firms earn their revenues in dollars. Among them are the largest on the London exchange: oil majors BP and Shell; the mining companies BHP Billiton and Anglo American; and banks such as HSBC. As the value of dollars rises versus the pound, the profits of these companies increase. They become more valuable and the stock market goes up as a consequence.

You can plainly see this in the graphic posted by SheungWan :

pound and ftse.jpg

Also, there is another dynamic at play, the UK is currently in a temporary limbo period where it's cheap for other countries to import UK products because of the weak pound, but there is a lag/delay in increased production costs(as a result of the weak pound), increased production costs which have not yet kicked in, they will as production inflation is as much guaranteed as the sun rising tomorrow.

Imagine a high street shop that's doing badly due to a lack of customers through the door, so every time you walk by the shop window you can see the shop is empty with staff standing around doing nothing, the shop is finally forced to close and in the last week of business it cuts prices to clear it's remaining stock. ......you then walk past window, see that the shop is filled with paying customers which makes you wonder why it has to close down if it's doing so well?

The FTSE 250 is also doing well. So that's your theory out of the window.

This post will only appeal to brexiters, I know. But one thing I've noticed recently is the increasingly aggresssive and shrill posts by remainers in recent days. Their highly selective attempts at presenting a doom and gloom scenario for the UK's economy are becoming almost cartoon-like. Desperate times ahead for remainers, as the UK's economy continues to be a world force, and the rearguard action by the globalists falls on rocky ground.

46 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The FTSE 250 is also doing well. So that's your theory out of the window.

FTSE 250 expressed in dollars down since Brexit vote at the end of 2016.

(Additional Note: As at Jan 16 2017 FTSE 250 was 15% down in USD since Brexit vote)

ftse 250 usd.jpg

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

FTSE 250 expressed in dollars down since Brexit vote at the end of 2016.

ftse 250 usd.jpg

But expressing the FTSE 250 in Dollars is a nonsense, as you surely know. It's a marker for the second tier marquee businesses, which operate mainly in the UK. Like I said, remainers are getting ever-more shrill and selective with their info. Time is short for the rearguard remain campaign. Their cute little set up will be shafted once brexit takes pace.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

But expressing the FTSE 250 in Dollars is a nonsense, as you surely know. It's a marker for the second tier marquee businesses, which operate mainly in the UK. Like I said, remainers are getting ever-more shrill and selective with their info. Time is short for the rearguard remain campaign. Their cute little set up will be shafted once brexit takes pace.

Expressing FTSE 250 in dollars shows that the index advance is primarily due to the drop in sterling.

ftse 250 usd2.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Expressing FTSE 250 in dollars shows that the index advance is primarily due to the drop in sterling.

ftse 250 usd2.jpg

Now you're just being plain silly. The FTSE 250 is doing well because the companies that are marked in it are doing well. And the reason why they are doing well is because their business dealings in the domestic market are doing well, and it has sod-all to do with ANY international exchange rates or ANY international markers.

16 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But expressing the FTSE 250 in Dollars is a nonsense, as you surely know. It's a marker for the second tier marquee businesses, which operate mainly in the UK.

That is not accurate, at least 50% of revinues from the FTSE 250 comes from overseas, for the FTSE 100 it's 75% from overseas.

Desperately clutching at straws now Khun Han, saying any old nonsense in an attempt to show the UK as doing well.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

That is not accurate, at least 50% of revinues from the FTSE 250 comes from overseas, for the FTSE 100 it's 75% from overseas.

Desperately clutching at straws now Khun Han, saying any old nonsense in an attempt to show the UK as doing well.

"at least"

Do you have some evidence for that? As opposed to the almost universally held view that the FTSE 250 is a marker for how well the domestic market is doing?

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

"at least"

It means not less than ;)

12 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Do you have some evidence for that? As opposed to the almost universally held view that the FTSE 250 is a marker for how well the domestic market is doing?

Universal view held by who?  They must be idiots when 50% of FTSE250 revenues are from overseas, if anything the FTSE250 is kept buoyant with foreign money....or dollars.

Lets look at the 'Top 10 -  FTSE350' companies who have the highest percentage of revenues in sterling.

The table is fairly self explanatory,

Red box on the left shows the percentage of company revenue in sterling.

Red box on the right shows what happened to their share price since the Brexit vote. 

Minus is bad. Plus is good.

Capture.JPG

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Universal view held by who?  They must be idiots when 50% of FTSE250 revenues are from overseas, if anything the FTSE250 is kept buoyant with foreign money....or dollars.

Lets look at the 'Top 10 -  FTSE350' companies who have the highest percentage of revenues in sterling.

Red box on the left shows the percentage of total revenue which is sterling.

Red box on the right shows what happened to their share price since the Brexit vote.  Minus is bad. Plus is good.

Capture.JPG

Ten companies out of three hundred and fifty listed. Why am I not surprised by your tactics? You're boring.

" It means not less than ;) "

Play with words, playground play. boring.

Edited by Khun Han

13 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Red box on the left shows the percentage of company revenue in sterling.

Red box on the right shows what happened to their share price since the Brexit vote. 

Minus is bad. Plus is good.

Capture.JPG

Michael Hunter writing in the FT refers to the FTSE 250 constituents getting approximately 50% of their income from overseas sources as opposed to 20% from the FTSE 100 according to analysis by Credit Suisse. This might be compared to the forum hard brexiteer 'universally held view' of geezers in a provincial pub. Its a close call which analysis to go with. :cheesy:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Michael Hunter writing in the FT refers to the FTSE 250 constituents getting approximately 50% of their income from overseas sources as opposed to 20% from the FTSE 100 according to analysis by Credit Suisse. This might be compared to the forum hard brexiteer 'universally held view' of geezers in a provincial pub. Its a close call which analysis to go with. :cheesy:

So, is the UK economy doing well because of the alleged fire sale of exports, or is it doing well because of a booming domestic market? On second thoughts, don't bother. Prevarication time here we come.

29 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Correction: that of course should read for the FTSE 250 50% of their income from UK sources as opposed to 20% from the FTSE 100. So, FTSE 100: 80% overseas income, 20% UK income. FTSE 250: 50% overseas income, 50% UK income. For those who are interested in the actual data expressed in GBP/Euro/USD terms (which of course investors would be) data can be found here: http://www.ftse.com/products/indices/uk

The FTSE 250 - representing 50% UK business - has risen since july/august 2016, so That means UK business is down the pan? 

For every statistical proof there can always be found a disproof within the same statistics. The reality is that the FTSE and the FX rates are going where the self-interest of the traders push them.  Remember the libor fiasco?  That mentality is endemic and is part of the economy, but it must be recognised for what it does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

This post will only appeal to brexiters, I know. But one thing I've noticed recently is the increasingly aggresssive and shrill posts by remainers in recent days. Their highly selective attempts at presenting a doom and gloom scenario for the UK's economy are becoming almost cartoon-like. Desperate times ahead for remainers, as the UK's economy continues to be a world force, and the rearguard action by the globalists falls on rocky ground.

Apologies Khun Han but I dont understand

' Desperate times ahead for remainers, as the UK's economy continues to be a world force, and the rearguard action by the globalists falls on rocky ground'

If the UK is going to be a global leader in free trade , then are they not globalists ?