Ministry urges exporters to buy more jasmine rice to push up price

rooster59

3 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

No It didn't. Rice has a long shelf life, the longer you store it its quality will decrease a little; Thai rice is considered the best in the world. So who has got a new 35Billion Baht Yacht on order?  :stoner:

Rice has a long shelf life if stored properly. PT didn't do that due to, as previously mentioned, corruption and ineptitude. 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Rice has a long shelf life if stored properly. PT didn't do that due to, as previously mentioned, corruption and ineptitude. 

Are a true believer, and you actually witnessed this or read it from selected TV news clips? True there was corruption in the tangled web, but it didn't all go on the new yacht. If not properly stored wouldn't they have the same problem this year? Someone is telling fibs to get someone in trouble. Bpunky, can't believe everything in The Nation, as this is very political and u need to be careful saying things at the moment.

On 23-10-2016 at 7:49 AM, soalbundy said:

Yeah lower it, my mother -in-law has just harvested her rice, after paying for the combine harvester man, paid of the last installment for fertilizer she was left with two thousand Baht,she was lucky, she got 6 Baht a kilo,others i know only got 5 Baht,that's less than it cost them to grow and harvest it. Better to do as my wife did, only grow enough for your own use and harvest it by hand

Sorry.. but if you let others do the work you will always end up with less. The more work you do yourself the more margin you have. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Are a true believer, and you actually witnessed this or read it from selected TV news clips? True there was corruption in the tangled web, but it didn't all go on the new yacht. If not properly stored wouldn't they have the same problem this year? Someone is telling fibs to get someone in trouble. Bpunky, can't believe everything in The Nation, as this is very political and u need to be careful saying things at the moment.

Your a true PTP believer.. many pictures of rotting rice out there.. the reason why it does not rot now and did before is because of the rice program there was so much more rice harvested (less this year too because of flooding) that they did not have the right storage. There is good storage but it was not enough for the huge extra influx. YL ruined it all and has to pay the price. 

1 hour ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Not me who is being selective in what they choose to believe. 

The rice rotted. 

The scheme was a piece of economic stupidity. 

It was riddled with corruption and ineptitude. 

PT was responsible. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Sorry.. but if you let others do the work you will always end up with less. The more work you do yourself the more margin you have. 

at 67 she can't do the harvest cutting by herself, i tried to help but after 20 minuets i had to give up, the heat and humidity almost had me fainting (you are standing in water) It is a problem faced by most farmers now as the young see no future in it and are moving to the city. It is however cheaper to use the combine harvester than to pay 5 to 8 people to cut by hand, pay them,feed them and supply alcoholic drinks to keep them happy. At our last harvest we employed 10 people to hand cut 100 rai, it worked out about 40% more expensive than paying for the combine harvester which was also about 20 times faster. You would have to be superman to cut that much by yourself.

Brokers work with a pencil , they just handle numbers on pages . You find buyers first and then find sellers hook them together

making the deal  so you control of goods and control of money, taking a good cut. Sometimes the market is driven by the sellers

but I believe it is now driven by the buyers. 

On 22/10/2559 at 1:29 PM, Maverell said:

So exporters have to buy more rice to keep the price up ?  What do the exporters do if they cannot sell it ? I just cannot understand the logic. The natural laws of supply and demand do not seem to enter into it.

They could eat it or do as the government and let it rot away.

On 23/10/2559 at 7:49 AM, soalbundy said:

Yeah lower it, my mother -in-law has just harvested her rice, after paying for the combine harvester man, paid of the last installment for fertilizer she was left with two thousand Baht,she was lucky, she got 6 Baht a kilo,others i know only got 5 Baht,that's less than it cost them to grow and harvest it. Better to do as my wife did, only grow enough for your own use and harvest it by hand

That strategy might actually work to increase prices. Take enough supply off the market and price will eventually go up, unless of course Cambodia, Vietnam and India fill in the gab. Kind of similar to the situation Saudi Arabia and OPEC is in at the moment.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That strategy might actually work to increase prices. Take enough supply off the market and price will eventually go up, unless of course Cambodia, Vietnam and India fill in the gab. Kind of similar to the situation Saudi Arabia and OPEC is in at the moment.

Yes i would like to see that but nobody knows the price that will be offered before they plant and many are in debt to the banks or the village fund so they hope for a reasonable profit to pay off some of the debt incurred from the last bad harvest.The rice pledging scheme helped many where i am to be debt free but i don't think that the powers that be like that,indebted slaves are easier to control

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Your a true PTP believer.. many pictures of rotting rice out there.. the reason why it does not rot now and did before is because of the rice program there was so much more rice harvested (less this year too because of flooding) that they did not have the right storage. There is good storage but it was not enough for the huge extra influx. YL ruined it all and has to pay the price. 

Rob I only believe what is in front of me. I haven't seen the comparative figures in for crops? Storage hasn't changed. What I am getting at is that there would have been considerable rice left in storage, so with the new harvest did it put pressure on current storage facilities? I don't believe the Thai storage system has changed over the last few years. But there is a case for getting even with Mr and Mrs T, which is the reason for the current state of affairs. Now I can believe in that. Your a smart accountant Rob, nothing against you but have a think of it.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not me who is being selective in what they choose to believe. 

The rice rotted. 

The scheme was a piece of economic stupidity. 

It was riddled with corruption and ineptitude. 

PT was responsible. 

Politics is responsible together with control. I believe that.:shock1:

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

at 67 she can't do the harvest cutting by herself, i tried to help but after 20 minuets i had to give up, the heat and humidity almost had me fainting (you are standing in water) It is a problem faced by most farmers now as the young see no future in it and are moving to the city. It is however cheaper to use the combine harvester than to pay 5 to 8 people to cut by hand, pay them,feed them and supply alcoholic drinks to keep them happy. At our last harvest we employed 10 people to hand cut 100 rai, it worked out about 40% more expensive than paying for the combine harvester which was also about 20 times faster. You would have to be superman to cut that much by yourself.

I am just saying that the more you let other people do the less you keep yourself. Then don't complain about the margin that is left. I got clients who do the same thing. They outsource almost all the work and then complain they make little money (not rice harvesting but IT related). 

One should relate the income to how much work was put in of course. But I just wonder how much money was won on all the rice and how much time was invested ? Just curious if its more then the 300 bt a day as a minimum wage. 

I do not think there is much future in rice (if small scale). But you had 100 rai... i assume that is a lot .. or not (idiot here about rice). 40.000 sq meters (not really huge but I thought it was more then most farmers had)

I would not be able to do the rice stuff myself.. I worked in the tulips in the Netherlands bend over hurting my back.. i swore that I would study more and never ever do that again.  Quite honest here.. i hated working in the soil but did it when younger to make some extra money. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am just saying that the more you let other people do the less you keep yourself. Then don't complain about the margin that is left. I got clients who do the same thing. They outsource almost all the work and then complain they make little money (not rice harvesting but IT related). 

One should relate the income to how much work was put in of course. But I just wonder how much money was won on all the rice and how much time was invested ? Just curious if its more then the 300 bt a day as a minimum wage. 

I do not think there is much future in rice (if small scale). But you had 100 rai... i assume that is a lot .. or not (idiot here about rice). 40.000 sq meters (not really huge but I thought it was more then most farmers had)

I would not be able to do the rice stuff myself.. I worked in the tulips in the Netherlands bend over hurting my back.. i swore that I would study more and never ever do that again.  Quite honest here.. i hated working in the soil but did it when younger to make some extra money. 

100 Rai is 160.000 m²

1 minute ago, Anthony5 said:

100 Rai is 160.000 m²

I thought a rai was 20 x 20 meters  so its more then that  my mistake. I now see its 40 x 40... that makes quite a difference. Not sure why I thought 20 x 20. 

Thanks for the headsup.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:51 AM, tbthailand said:

maybe the government should set a minimum selling price and stockpile the excess? :whistling:

You might recall that the last time that was tried India and Vietnam jumped in to fill the shortfall which resulted in Thailand losing its position at the top of the rice producing countries.