Does anyone have any insights into the "You have a lucky face" thing?

stephen tracy

I've never actually stopped to find out what occurs after, but plenty of times in BKK I've been confronted by Sikh men telling I have a "very lucky face".  I have always replied something along the lines of "well why am I so unlucky?", and moved on.  Does anyone out there have any insights or commentary on this?  I'm very curious.  What do they do, tell you your fortune in return for cash basically?  And why is it only Sikhs that seem to do it?  I've recently been submitting pieces to someone's Bangkok travel website, and they asked me to do something on this but I honestly don't know where it leads as I've never actually indulged them.  Thanks in advance. 

If you send 10 K on my bank account, I'll tell you a lot more nice things.

I'll send you my bank details in a message. 

It's just a way to get your attention, no idea what will happen when you wake up later on. maybe sitting on a flying carpet down to Mexico? 

Edited by lostinisaan

They use that line to start a conversation with you.      Then it usually leads to him wanting to tell you your future  for a couple hundred baht.      Next time one of them approaches you play along with him for a few minutes and you will get the story first hand.      And yes it's always a Sikh gentleman as I guess the turban kind of gives off the fortune teller vibe.      A variation of this scam is run by the Filipino's around town.      They will approach you and ask you where you bought your shoes, or ask you where you're from and when you tell them Omaha or wherever  they quickly reply that they have a cousin, always a female, that lives there,  or they will tell you that they work at the hotel where you are staying.     Their scam is once they get you in a conversation they try to get you to come along with them to play cards where your  likely hood of winning is pretty low.      All good fun!

Edited by Spaniel

Those crooks are actually quite good at what they do, if you let yourself get sucked into a conversation with them (or, perhaps it's only the really stupid foreigners who stop and talk to them)...

Years ago, when I would sit and work all day in the Starbucks on the corner of Sukh and soi 5 (when it was actually right on the corner, and pleasant to sit in), I would sometimes see the "lucky man" guy and his assistant move on to the next level of their scam by bringing their marks inside Starbucks for a conversation at a table upstairs.  One time, I got the employees to kick them out by pointing out that they were sitting there not having made a purchase.  Another time, I witnessed a foreigner, who had apparently been previously scammed for a rather large sum of money by these guys, recognize them in Starbucks with their fresh marks.  He then went out and came back with the police, who took the "lucky man" guys away.  

This was about 11 years ago; I imagine the "lucky man" guy from those days has now passed the torch on to another.

Good   sensible intelligent and interesting  topic on TV  at  last .

My personal  perspective , i  have a face like a smacked  bottom , .

however , that said said  i am in receipt  of 3 pensions ,

daily   i am informed i am handsome , by thai ladies ,

Oriental  Gentlemen  ,  take care, watch your backside .555

If you want a real story to tell you play the game with him...but NEVER ever take a drink/food because it will be drugged.

You'll go play cards somewhere, they let you win a few times and after that you loose. They'll take your creditcard and cash the heck out of it and later dump you somewhere and you won't remember anything (if you took their food/drink).

This scam is so old and ALWAYS done by foreigners to Thailand...somehow the police won't stop this gang....it's very old now.

Thanks fruitman, just been looking around online at other people who've experienced the the luck face guys and I can only assume that they basically distract you some how and switch the paper where they write down your replies with the original scrunched up bit of paper they give you at the beginning.  Can't think how else it could be done.  Bit of subtle distraction I suppose. 

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

Thanks fruitman, just been looking around online at other people who've experienced the the luck face guys and I can only assume that they basically distract you some how and switch the paper where they write down your replies with the original scrunched up bit of paper they give you at the beginning.  Can't think how else it could be done.  Bit of subtle distraction I suppose. 

They have you write on a soft surface such a magazine so it leaves an impression.

Treat them like you would any dangerous animal and avoid them. 

Edited by BudRight

I just wonder how it's done.  I get the sleight of hand bit with the papers, but I've heard of some people saying that before they did the "think of a number between 1 and 100, what's your favourite colour etc" they actually were able to tell people things like the name of their mother and other stuff like that.

I just wonder how it's done.  I get the sleight of hand bit with the papers, but I've heard of some people saying that before they did the "think of a number between 1 and 100, what's your favourite colour etc" they actually were able to tell people things like the name of their mother and other stuff like that.

I think for the most part they are just "lucky guessors" .       Sure, they might tell you your mothers name, favorite color etc but for the 500 people before you they probably guessed wrong.        Think of the Nigerian scam letters.     Some crook in Lagos probably sends out  50,000 letters and he knows 99.99% will get tossed in the trash.     But he only needs one sucker to reply to make some money.   Same with the Sikh guy.     Most people will tell him to piss off but the 1 or 2 per day that don't is where he makes his money.       Another favorite scam is the down and outers and their sad stories.     Seems all of them have  just been robbed and they are now waiting for that overseas transfer from home to arrive so they need a few dollars  until it does.     If you take the time to question any of these creeps their stories fall apart pretty quick.     Lots of con artists in Bangkok and the ones in suits are probably the worse.

Edited by Spaniel

37 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

I think for the most part they are just "lucky guessors" .       Sure, they might tell you your mothers name, favorite color etc but for the 500 people before you they probably guessed wrong.        Think of the Nigerian scam letters.     Some crook in Lagos probably sends out  50,000 letters and he knows 99.99% will get tossed in the trash.     But he only needs one sucker to reply to make some money.   Same with the Sikh guy.     Most people will tell him to piss off but the 1 or 2 per day that don't is where he makes his money.       Another favorite scam is the down and outers and their sad stories.     Seems all of them have  just been robbed and they are now waiting for that overseas transfer from home to arrive so they need a few dollars  until it does.     If you take the time to question any of these creeps their stories fall apart pretty quick.     Lots of con artists in Bangkok and the ones in suits are probably the worse.

Lucky guesses? Not likely. This is simple mentalism tricks. Entertaining for those not aware of how they do it. And it's all harmless fun

Edited by Time Traveller

I stopped and talked to one of these guys 25-26 years ago. Whatever the scam is they've been doing it a long time. He was able to tell me some things about myself that were strangely accurate and it kind of freaked me out a bit, so I told him in no uncertain terms that I need to go immediately. Ever since, as soon as I hear the "lucky man" or "lucky face" line, I tell them to eff off.

13 hours ago, Spaniel said:

They use that line to start a conversation with you.      Then it usually leads to him wanting to tell you your future  for a couple hundred baht.      Next time one of them approaches you play along with him for a few minutes and you will get the story first hand.      And yes it's always a Sikh gentleman as I guess the turban kind of gives off the fortune teller vibe.      A variation of this scam is run by the Filipino's around town.      They will approach you and ask you where you bought your shoes, or ask you where you're from and when you tell them Omaha or wherever  they quickly reply that they have a cousin, always a female, that lives there,  or they will tell you that they work at the hotel where you are staying.     Their scam is once they get you in a conversation they try to get you to come along with them to play cards where your  likely hood of winning is pretty low.      All good fun!

On certain days the Siam area are full of these filo scammers, there are different variations but they'll all want you to go back somewhere with them.

One time I was curious on sukhumvit around soi 5 and so played along. 

As mentioned they try to charge you for a fortune telling. It is a scam but these guys have legitimate skills.

Showed me pics of family back home and played the old guilt trip but most of us are pretty immune these days.

I didn't play ball but I am a betting man and the guy told me if he could guess my mother's first name I would pay him whatever I had in my pocket at the time (5k bht) and get a fortune reading thrown in.

He wrote the name on the paper and folded it up, didn't ask me a single question or have any idea what my name is so my curiosity was raging, he placed the folded paper in my hand. There it was in my hand my mother's Chinese first name in karaoke.

Lucky guess?.. my mother is Chinese I am half white but look totally white and have an English accent. My mother does not go by her real name she uses a Nick name even on facebook similar to Thais. I was not on social media at the time nor had my wallet or Id. 

I happily payed up and left totally entertained for the day.

I knew it was a scam and I could have left at any point I never felt threatened. But it was entertaining and I played the odds and lost.

I don't agree with there methods but am still impressed by it.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Also a long time ago (maybe 10 years) on Sukhumvit between soi 5 and 7 some guy approached me, he said "You're a lucky man", I looked up and replied "I know" before walking on.

They're just con men, ignore them.

not then  followed  by "bend  over"?