Russian diver dies after car bursts into flames in Wichit

webfact

Russian diver dies after car bursts into flames in Wichit

Eakkapop Thongtub

1477225976_1-org.jpg

The car burst into flames on Khao Kad Rd earlier today. Police believe the driver died instantly. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Russian national, 27, died instantly when the car he was driving caught on fire on Khao Kad Rd in Wichit earlier today.

Wichit Municipality officials were notified that a car had caught on fire on Khao Kad Rd at 3.10pm today (Oct 23).

At the scene, police and rescue workers found a badly damaged Toyota SUV with a dead body inside. The deceased was later identified as a 27-year-old Russian national, who worked as a diving instructor for a local dive centre. Diving equipment was also found in the car which was destroyed by fire.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-diver-dies-after-car-bursts-into-flames-in-wichit-59571.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-24

That's a shame, driving down the road and Boom, there goes the LPG tank and your life.  The young guy was just 27 years old.

Are there any sort of checks that these LPG tanks and installers have to have before being allowed on the road?...............Serious question

1 hour ago, Pomthai said:

An exploding LPG tank doesn't squash the roof down neither does a fire. Obviously some key details missing from this story.

Perhaps the crushed roof is a hint that something else has happened?

It has to be said....

yes.... these installations are rigorously tested.... in other parts of the world.

you can even install blast containment,

but this is Thailand.... and it looks more like a roll over, doesn't it!.

Obviously the car rolled and ended up in the upright position while the driver was more than likely knocked unconscious during the roll, while the vehicle caught on fire at some point and the driver could not escape the vehicle.

Sad

RIP

1 hour ago, johng said:

Yes there are checks on LPG installations and further 5 yearly checks.

The OP says diving equipment was found in the car I think those gas canisters are about 300 PSI much higher than for LPG

Yes higher pressure for diving tanks, but air and mixed diving gasses such as Trimix are not inflammable.

(don't burn for Americans).

If the valve in an air tank was open it could fan the flames into an inferno, but not cause a fire and no reason to suspect that also happened.

RIP to a diver.

I hope he died instantly from the crash not the fire.

23 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Yes higher pressure for diving tanks, but air and mixed diving gasses such as Trimix are not inflammable.

(don't burn for Americans).

If the valve in an air tank was open it could fan the flames into an inferno, but not cause a fire and no reason to suspect that also happened.

RIP to a diver.

I hope he died instantly from the crash not the fire.

Tri mix is a mix of inert gases used for welding, Last I checked oxygen is needed for life under water. Oxygen would make a big fire if mixed with LPG. There may be a Tri mix for diving but it would be primarily Oxygen, Nothing can burn without it. It is fairly common to have disastrous fires when an Oxygen bottle gets broken.

21 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Tri mix is a mix of inert gases used for welding, Last I checked oxygen is needed for life under water. Oxygen would make a big fire if mixed with LPG. There may be a Tri mix for diving but it would be primarily Oxygen, Nothing can burn without it. It is fairly common to have disastrous fires when an Oxygen bottle gets broken.

You are getting mixed up with your gasses.

I said "Trimix" not Tri-mix.

Standard modern SCUBA diving gas "Trimix 10/70" or Trimix 10/70/20, consists of 10% oxygen, 70% helium, 20% nitrogen. It most certainly is not inflammable.

It is not so common as simple compressed air and is most often used by commercial divers or those attempting to kill themselves by setting ridiculous depth records. 

No that's no fair, it is more common with the sport diving fraternity now, but its much more expensive than compressed air.

Oxygen is very flammable, but oxygen rebreathers are almost never used for sport diving because of the very limited depth they can be used for. Mostly used by navy divers for clearing mines, sneaking in to plant mines, etc. as they do not have the tell-tail trail of bubbles that you get from a SCUBA set.

If your not a diver, Google/Wiki is your friend before you post.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Don't you just love it a guy dies and before he's cold multiple theories emerge out of nowhere. What's next!!!!! A hit ordered by his Thai wife/girlfriend.

But, but, but.............................

I concur with your comments- some people have very boring lives!

The Gazette offers a much better reason for this incident and photos show vehicle on it's side.

after the NVG-powered jeep he was driving crashed and burst into flames on Khao Khad Road in Wichit.

Locals ran to help after the van slid off the wet road and crashed into a rocky embankment at about 3pm but were beaten back by the flames

Fire fighters took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

6 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Standard modern SCUBA diving gas "Trimix 10/70" or Trimix 10/70/20, consists of 10% oxygen, 70% helium, 20% nitrogen. It most certainly is not inflammable.

It is not so common as simple compressed air and is most often used by commercial divers or those attempting to kill themselves by setting ridiculous depth records. 

No that's no fair, it is more common with the sport diving fraternity now, but its much more expensive than compressed air.

Oxygen is very flammable, but oxygen rebreathers are almost never used for sport diving because of the very limited depth they can be used for. Mostly used by navy divers for clearing mines, sneaking in to plant mines, etc. as they do not have the tell-tail trail of bubbles that you get from a SCUBA set.

The 10% Oxygen would explode into a fire bail if mixed with a flammable gas in an accident. I did not know they used that mix for diving though.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The 10% Oxygen would explode into a fire bail if mixed with a flammable gas in an accident. I did not know they used that mix for diving though.

True enough as a stand alone statement, but helium and Nitrogen are inert so the entire Trimix mix is not flammable.

Check it out for diving, it has a long history.

35 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Rebreathers not used for sport diving ???

What is the depth limit on modern rebreathers ??

31 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

The Gazette offers a much better reason for this incident and photos show vehicle on it's side.

after the NVG-powered jeep he was driving crashed and burst into flames on Khao Khad Road in Wichit.

Locals ran to help after the van slid off the wet road and crashed into a rocky embankment at about 3pm but were beaten back by the flames

Fire fighters took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

From the same article'

>>“He appears to have lost control and the NVG tanks exploded in the crash,” said Lt Patcharee.

26 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Rebreathers not used for sport diving ???

What is the depth limit on modern rebreathers ??

yes, good question, showing my age, the old “Closed Circuit Oxygen Rebreathers” have many restrictions on depth and time.

eg The US Navy restrictions on oxygen rebreather use are:

• Normal working limit 25 feet (7.6 m) for 240 minutes.
  • Maximum working limit 50 feet (15 m) for 10 minutes.

But modern mixed gas (eg Timix) rebreathers have totally different depth and time restrictions.

Best to check out with the experts if you are thinking of diving on Mixed Gas rebreathers and take a properly certified “Mixed Gas” diving course before venturing under.

I have done a lot of dives (BSAC Instructor) but not very recently and never on mixed gas. I don’t suppose I will get the chance now.

Of course you can get rebreathers for firemen, rescue workers etc., so if you are really interested check the Web.

Wiki is not bad  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebreather

...welcome to Thailand....not.....

....and I hope they investigate.....

...the 'fire' could have been 'something else'.....

....or to cover up something else....

...at least they cannot claim suicide this time.....

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Don't you just love it a guy dies and before he's cold multiple theories emerge out of nowhere. What's next!!!!! A hit ordered by his Thai wife/girlfriend.

"Don't you just love it, a guy dies and before he's COLD...."

deepindoodoo, a faux pas, I hope

On 24/10/2016 at 2:26 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Well, my initial thoughts did go towards a Samsung phone causing an on board fire, which then caused the crash.

Would that be a a theory "out of nowhere?" 

Archived