ebay purchase Global Shipping Program (United States)

steve2112

hi, i need to buy something from USA on ebay and it ships with the global shipping program. its a marine engine part, cost is $1250, shipping $118 and they charge import duties at checkout of $275.

my question is, will i get hit for any additional charges when it arrives in Thailand?

thanks, steve

At one time the Ebay GSP was a nightmare with several reports of the carrier double-dipping duties :(

It does now seem to be sorted, I bit the bullet earlier in the year (item shipped from the UK) and it arrived just fine with no additional costs.

Personally, I would rather manage the import duties / tax myself but many sellers refuse to deal outside the GSP.

Of course, as with all these things YMMV.

thanks, yep the seller automatically adds the $275 but that's not a bad fee for a $1250 part i think, i worry it could be more if i deal with it myself. 

so you think there will not be any extra charges when it arrives then. i wonder if there is any recourse to the GSP if i do get hit with something

16 hours ago, steve2112 said:

thanks, yep the seller automatically adds the $275 but that's not a bad fee for a $1250 part i think, i worry it could be more if i deal with it myself. 

so you think there will not be any extra charges when it arrives then. i wonder if there is any recourse to the GSP if i do get hit with something

No - there will be no additional charges.

The GSP has both pros and cons, but the pros win in the end for me insofar as shipments are delivered right to my door - no extra trips to a post office required.

18 hours ago, steve2112 said:

As others have said, it seems to work ok now :)

At least one of the members who reported an issue with DHL double-dipping got his money back eventually.