BRIT (pensioners) and EXCHANGE RATES

mercman24

Before the Brexit vote and the collapse of the £ I had an adequate income from two UK pensions paid directly into Thai bank accounts, with enough left each month to fund a few luxuries.  Now though I have to watch expenditure very carefully as there is very little margin for emergencies.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, DipStick said:

Look harder people, I asked a very simple question. Should I buy sterling now from my five different currency accounts.. I do not want to hear buy gold, buy wxhorese, invest in Thai rice.. Please if you cannot answer shut the <deleted> up. Stop this posturing that is ruining this forum , which is almost dead 

Maybe exchange it for a personality.

7 hours ago, Estrada said:

It seems that this is the case. I found the majority of my British friends here, said they were voting for Brexit and I warned that the GB Pound would fall by 20%. They said that they were still voting for Brexit and that the fall in the GBP would just last 1 to 3 weeks then it would recover. Very few of these friends now admit to having voted for Brexit as, like myself, are losing 24% since the proposal to hold the Brexit referendum was made. Only one Brexiteer now admits to the severe financial fall out of Brexit, but he says it is "Worth it to avoid Sharia Law!" The problem is going to get worse, as the pound has at least another 10% to fall if article 50 is invoked.

Its not if its invoked , its when , we voted to leave , its cost us money ,,so be it , just glad we got out in a nice shiny lifeboat , not hanging onto one of the deckchairs .

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

I was a bit the same but just had my UK state pension transferred to my UK bank account, usually go over for a few weeks each year.

My home expenses are also fairly low, no dependent children and no vehicle. Really glad now that when I got married in 2008 took the plunge and built rather than rent a home.

Yeah feel sorry for those ones ' oldgit ' mentioned,  the only ones l know who couldn't stay was because no more work in schools which has been sad as well as the long and hard work of getting their wives to UK .

l not know of any UK pensioners going back l'm the only English one in my village.

And the holier than now who thinks brexit is the cause why isn't the Euro higher than the £,  I still believe brexit was good for UK and should of happen sooner. 

My guess is it will be a long time before the exchange £ = baht picks up if ever.

What could effect me for a while is Thailand making an increase in showing money for yearly extensions.

l came when they put marriage from l think was 250k to 400k but l believe 250k guys were grandfathered not sure, l got retirement extension at the time.

I have no desire to return to the UK at all,  even though l have a daughter who can get me return tickets for £140 once a year.

22 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

The OP's attitude is admirable.

However, others on this forum in a similar boat are another thing altogether.

There are a few threads on this subject doing the rounds and many have taken to howling about what they believe is deliberate manipulation of the THB's value by everyone from the central bank and the junta to a secretive cabal of Thai-Chinese billionaires and banks keen to spirit their money away in foreign lands in case it all "kicks off" in light of recent events.

From what I've read, it seems to be the very ones who welcomed Brexit who are doing the majority of the conspiracy mongering.

They're also the ones who've ratcheted up their negativity towards Thailand and Thais, a fact which partially confirms a pet theory that much of the "happiness" many foreigners claim to enjoy in Thailand is based on nothing more than a silly sense of financial superiority they have over the majority of the locals.

In essence, in the past, they felt relatively wealthy and they liked it.

Now, certainly in the case of the Brits, that's evaporating and they don't like it.

I assume that you are speaking for yourself and not for the majority of Brits on the forum.

I voted for Brexit and no, I am not happy at not getting as much as I did even at the beginning of this year.

Yes I am tightening my belt and with a bit of luck I may even lose some weight as well.

I have to admit that among my farang friends of various nationalities I haven't found any that think they have a  sense of financial superiority they have over the majority of the locals, nor do they have a sense of negativity towards the Thai people. Perhaps it may be due to the fact that most of us have made good marriages and some good businesses here but may be that is due to my choice of friends.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I assume that you are speaking for yourself and not for the majority of Brits on the forum.

I voted for Brexit and no, I am not happy at not getting as much as I did even at the beginning of this year.

Yes I am tightening my belt and with a bit of luck I may even lose some weight as well.

I have to admit that among my farang friends of various nationalities I haven't found any that think they have a  sense of financial superiority they have over the majority of the locals, nor do they have a sense of negativity towards the Thai people. Perhaps it may be due to the fact that most of us have made good marriages and some good businesses here but may be that is due to my choice of friends.

Speaking for myself in what regard?

17 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Much of the country's wealth is directly linked to real estate market lunacy and, despite the Bank of England's efforts to keep the plates spinning, Armageddon is inevitable.

No worries Bruce Willis is on his way, cheer up.  :biggrin:  :thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Speaking for myself in what regard?

That is the older Brexiteers who are doing the whining and moaning.

From what I have seen on this thread it is not us but on several other threads it is the Bremainers who are doing about 90% of the complaining.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

From what I have seen on this thread it is not us but on several other threads it is the Bremainers who are doing about 90% of the complaining.

I see a lot of people interested in and talking about the mechanics of it all, very few seem to be actually complaining.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I didn't mention their ages although I suppose if they're on pensions, they'd obviously be older.

Why would "Bremainers" be complaining? Brexit is a very divisive issue and there's bound to be heated discussion but it tends to be those who voted to leave who are concocting the conspiracy theories about the THB being "too strong" when it is the pound that it is too weak.

Not a day goes by without someone complaining because the Bank of Thailand hasn't weakened the baht when, according to them, the country is on its knees economically. 555

I think 3% (or thereabouts) growth is pretty decent compared with the UK which will be lucky if it grows 1.5% in 2016.

23 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

The OP's attitude is admirable.

However, others on this forum in a similar boat are another thing altogether.

There are a few threads on this subject doing the rounds and many have taken to howling about what they believe is deliberate manipulation of the THB's value by everyone from the central bank and the junta to a secretive cabal of Thai-Chinese billionaires and banks keen to spirit their money away in foreign lands in case it all "kicks off" in light of recent events.

From what I've read, it seems to be the very ones who welcomed Brexit who are doing the majority of the conspiracy mongering.

They're also the ones who've ratcheted up their negativity towards Thailand and Thais, a fact which partially confirms a pet theory that much of the "happiness" many foreigners claim to enjoy in Thailand is based on nothing more than a silly sense of financial superiority they have over the majority of the locals.

In essence, in the past, they felt relatively wealthy and they liked it.

Now, certainly in the case of the Brits, that's evaporating and they don't like it.

What a load of tripe. You are practically perfect in every way I suppose. Love to see you fall on your face.

8 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

"Must OF"???

Perhaps if you'd got an education, your pension might be able to weather the current GBP/THB exchange rate.

It ain't posted at ya only about ya and  ' must of ' that's what cockneys say and write who cares about grammar as long as it's understood.

I too have been affected by the fall in the pound.  I am calculating on a low of 40baht/pound if it drops that low i can still live here.  Returning to the UK is not an option - it is still too expensive compared to Thailand.

Will ride out the storm - I reckon in about a year the situation will start to recover.

My American friend remember the time of $1=£1 and I remember the Euro = £1 so been there before.

19 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

You've been drinking too much of the Kool-aid

The UK economy is far, FAR from "sound".

Like every other major Western economy with, perhaps, the exception of Germany, Britain is awash with debt; household and public sector.

Manufacturing accounts for less than 12% of GDP and, more worryingly, its service economy is over-dependent on a City of London that's shown itself to be particularly vulnerable to financial shocks.

Much of the country's wealth is directly linked to real estate market lunacy and, despite the Bank of England's efforts to keep the plates spinning, Armageddon is inevitable.

What's with your fetish for manufacturing? Surely the UK is a much wealthier nation, with a higher standard of living and per capita GDP than 100 years ago, when manufacturing made up a much greater percentage of the country's output...so the two are hardly corollated. Maybe you think the country should go back to its agricultural past, when I guess, by your logic, it was even richer.

19 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

No

It's the time to buy gold.

It's up nearly 40% this year alone in sterling terms.

After being flat or down for the past half-decade...hardly a ringing endorsement. And if what you say is correct, it's likely 90% of the upward swing has already taken place...showing once again that T-V is not necessarily the best place for investment advice.

35 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I too have been affected by the fall in the pound.  I am calculating on a low of 40baht/pound if it drops that low i can still live here.  Returning to the UK is not an option - it is still too expensive compared to Thailand.

Will ride out the storm - I reckon in about a year the situation will start to recover.

My American friend remember the time of $1=£1 and I remember the Euro = £1 so been there before.

Well l have and did a check out too,  really just to see how low bht - £ could go before it affected me,  l guess many did cause of their situation and a sensible thing to do.

l wouldn't bank on any time limit though there's a lot more things going on in the world to worry about if you want to me thinks.  

29 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

What's with your fetish for manufacturing? Surely the UK is a much wealthier nation, with a higher standard of living and per capita GDP than 100 years ago, when manufacturing made up a much greater percentage of the country's output...so the two are hardly corollated. Maybe you think the country should go back to its agricultural past, when I guess, by your logic, it was even richer.

Well it's not a much wealthier nation, is it?

It's notional wealth wrapped up in the illusion of real estate price inflation.

Most people simply can't sell up and move overnight, can they?

Britain's modern day wealth was, and still is, built on the unchecked proliferation of credit and fantasy real estate values.

The Germans - who have real wealth - have done pretty well out of selling stuff to the rest of the world (25% of GDP) and they've done it without emulating our obsession with owning property.

44 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

After being flat or down for the past half-decade...hardly a ringing endorsement. And if what you say is correct, it's likely 90% of the upward swing has already taken place...showing once again that T-V is not necessarily the best place for investment advice.

Let's wait and see, shall we?