Chinese tourist drowns at Patong Beach

webfact

Chinese tourist drowns at Patong Beach

Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- A Chinese man on holiday in Phuket with his wife died yesterday (Oct 25) after he was pulled unconscious from strong surf at Patong Beach.

Chinese tourist Gang Liv, 31, was pronounced dead at Patong Hospital after he was pulled unconscious from strong surf at Patong Beach yesterday (Oct 25). Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

Lt Col Weerapong Rakkhito of the Patong Police told The Phuket News was notified at 4:22pm that lifeguards were rescuing a tourist who had succumbed to strong waves about 300 metres south of Bangla Rd.

The man, later identified as 31-year-old Chinese national Gang Liv, was found unconscious in the water after he was swept away by strong wave, Col Weerapong said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-drowns-at-patong-beach-59591.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-26

I am a good swimmer, ex lifeguard, swim and dive team, have scubads, and all that stuff.  However at 59 I am NOT a strong swimmer. I am not able to swim a mile as I did in the boy scouts, or spring a couple of laps.  I won't drown as I don't panic, know my basic life saving steps, can float, tread water, etc.   When I was at karon beach last year literally at this exact same time the surf had very strong undertows, and short breakers.  Standing there it was easy to get knocked down.  I had fun with it. At times the waves were enough to body surf a bit.  I don't inhale water, I instinctively kind of shunt my nose, etc.  I don't mind being underwater.  The current would sweep me out a few yards.  No big deal.  Get on top of things and swim back or diagonally.  No rush, no hurry.  But as others have said, if not prepared for a good dunking, panic can set in, and bad things happen fast.  Swallow some water, over react, etc.  I could tell I was getting a bit tired though.  I am not in swimming shape. Not fat, not overweight, just not in condition.  You got to be realistic about your abilities

Probably did not care to take notice of lifeguards on beach or choose to ignore warning signs erected by lifeguards. Sadly he paid the ultimate price.

I have watched many of these tourists on Patong Beach, scary stuff!

Condolences to family and friends.

26 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...again....where were the 'lifeguards' before.....???

...jeez...

...they really have no shame...and should hold a different title....

Looking at your posts I would say you're the one who has no shame.

I grew up at the Great Lakes and can swim good. when the waves were big it was a blast swimming. Here in Rayong I was at the beach only up to my knees and the pull of the waves was incredible strong. Can see why someone could get into trouble very quickly here.

RIP young man.

On 26/10/2016 at 10:04 PM, lvr181 said:

Probably did not care to take notice of lifeguards on beach or choose to ignore warning signs erected by lifeguards. Sadly he paid the ultimate price.

I have watched many of these tourists on Patong Beach, scary stuff!

Condolences to family and friends.

Perhaps the lifeguards should take a leaf out of the jet ski rental guy's book and get really aggressive  assertive with these tourists who insist on swimming in dangerous conditions, alas, unfortunately, there is no money in it for them to do so, hence, they they care too much.