New requirements for Non Immi O visa - Perth Consulate

I have read the topic here with interest.  I stayed in Thailand for around 18 months a few years ago before returning to the UK.

Now of course rules and requirements have changed, so can I just try and get a summary?

My Thai wife and I plan to go back to Thailand next September for one year, during which time we will build a small house for her parents - we will rent a house whilst this is being built.

Now.....what is the best / easiest way to stay for one year?

1) to get a 90day visa before I arrive(?) and:

a) extend at local immigration (with all their varying requirements) or

B) is it really possible to  exit /re-enter the country (via Nong Khai Friendship bridge?) every three months? How long do they allow you back in for?  How many times can that be done?    (I ask this because last time, after the regime change I went across the bridge but was refused entry back into Thailand as it was the second time I had done it - after much pleading I was given a two week entry and had to go back to the Thai Embassy in Laos to get a 'proper' visa.....)

I would add that I am in my sixties, reasonable income and savings.

2) any other solution?btw what is "an updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry"

Edited by gprit
Added information

3 minutes ago, gprit said:

I have read the topic here with interest.  I stayed in Thailand for around 18 months a few years ago before returning to the UK.

Now of course rules and requirements have changed, so can I just try and get a summary?

My Thai wife and I plan to go back to Thailand next September for one year, during which time we will build a small house for her parents - we will rent a house whilst this is being built.

Now.....what is the best / easiest way to stay for one year?

1) to get a 90day visa before I arrive(?) and:

a) extend at local immigration (with all their varying requirements) or

b ) is it really possible to  exit /re-enter the country (via Nong Khai Friendship bridge?) every three months? How long do they allow you back in for?  How many times can that be done?    (I ask this because last time, after the regime change I went across the bridge but was refused entry back into Thailand as it was the second time I had done it - after much pleading I was given a two week entry and had to go back to the Thai Embassy in Laos to get a 'proper' visa.....)

2) any other solution?btw what is "an updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry"

1. a. Get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage. Then apply for a one year  extension of stay based upon marriage. No need to leave the country unless you want to but it requires a re-entry permit if you wanted to travel. Requires 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

b. Get a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. No problems to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days at Nong Khai. I suspect you did not have a valid visa when you  had a problem before (May 2014?) during first crackdown on visa runners.

2. A Kor Ror 2 is the marriage registry done when a marriage is registered at an Amphoe here.

• Like 1

Thank you for that!! Don't want to open a Thai bank account in my name.....can prove income (from UK pensions) but think the easiest thing is option 2  a few trips to Nong Khai!.  Last time I think my one year visa had just expired and I was extending it the second time by 30 days(1).

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2016 at 10:52 AM, Asiang said:

Just read this forum more ? So many receive visits and questions, AND you exactly know that this is the rule. You are just lucky that they are too lazy to do it everywhere.

Why worry where to get your next visa ? every 3 months you just go out at any border and comes back, a lot better in my opinion than showing my private life to anyone (don't forget that you told in another post that you also have to submit photos and that they can come to check ANYTIME THEY WANT, so yes, your life is controlled by them if they want, and you control nothing)

yes multi non imm 'o' is good, but they are gradually drying up, what you gonna do then, and maybe the 400,000 baht will increase

15 hours ago, MobileContent said:

I mentioned last month on TV already that Multiply Entry O visas will from next year only be issued or directly approved by Thai embassies and not Thai consulates.

The correct wording is Thai embassies and official Thai consulates. In countries where there are honorary consulates it happened in August of this year.

Honorary Thai consulates can no longer issue multiple entry visas. In the US and Germany that included the a multiple entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 11:41 AM, ubonjoe said:

The correct wording is Thai embassies and official Thai consulates. In countries where there are honorary consulates it happened in August of this year.

Honorary Thai consulates can no longer issue multiple entry visas. In the US and Germany that included the a multiple entry tourist visa.

The Thai Consulate in Perth states on its website Important – As of 15 August 2016, there are strict requirements regarding the issuance of multiple entry non-immigrant visas, which will only be issued on a case by case basis. For further information, please contact us direct to discuss any such application. I will find out this week whether or not they will issue me a multi-entry "O" visa. 

13 hours ago, Dibbler said:

The Thai Consulate in Perth states on its website Important – As of 15 August 2016, there are strict requirements regarding the issuance of multiple entry non-immigrant visas, which will only be issued on a case by case basis. For further information, please contact us direct to discuss any such application. I will find out this week whether or not they will issue me a multi-entry "O" visa. 

I advised this in the opening post.

I was advised the only change was in that they wanted to see financial records as previously stated.

Would be good if you could give us an update.

On 1/2/2017 at 7:48 AM, Will27 said:

I advised this in the opening post.

I was advised the only change was in that they wanted to see financial records as previously stated.

Would be good if you could give us an update.

Your information was accurate.  The Thai Consulate in Perth is now unable to issue a multi-entry "O" visa so my passport will be sent to Canberra for processing, and it's three work days to complete once in that office, not including days taken for sending and returning to Perth.  The current requirements for the visa application at this Consulate are attached here. A financial statement is now required and you can provide a statement of balance from your Australian bank account and that takes 2 minutes to organize at a bank branch.  All the big banks have branches within 10 minutes walk from the Consulate on Hay Street.

20161027 NON-IMMIGRANT O VISA REQUIREMENTS (Spouse Visit).pdf

3 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Your information was accurate.  The Thai Consulate in Perth is now unable to issue a multi-entry "O" visa so my passport will be sent to Canberra for processing, and it's three work days to complete once in that office, not including days taken for sending and returning to Perth.  The current requirements for the visa application at this Consulate are attached here. A financial statement is now required and you can provide a statement of balance from your Australian bank account and that takes 2 minutes to organize at a bank branch.  All the big banks have branches within 10 minutes walk from the Consulate on Hay Street.

20161027 NON-IMMIGRANT O VISA REQUIREMENTS (Spouse Visit).pdf

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like you might as well cut out the middle man and send it straight to Canberra yourself.

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like you might as well cut out the middle man and send it straight to Canberra yourself.

I did that once previously from Perth, sending my docs to the Consulate in Brisbane.  Worked very smoothly and them back within 10 days.  Knowing what I know now, next time I'll send the docs to Canberra directly.  Still this process of buying a new visa in the Consulate of my home country is faster and more reliable than the cheaper extension of stay process at my local immigration office in Samut Prakan.  I have found the Thai Consulate officials much more helpful and obliging than their immigration counterparts in Thailand.

Happy to confirm that the Thai Consulate in Perth arranged my multi-entry "O" valid for 1 year with the caveat that it took 8 days to get it.  The visa says it was issued in Perth but I was told the authorization had to come from Canberra.  I paid AUD225 plus $2 for them to print my revised flight itinerary.  

• Like 2