Connect TV to internet via WiFi - newbie needs help

taotoo

Wake up your Amazon Fire TV device

Press any button to wake up your Amazon Fire TV device.

Amazon Fire TV (2nd Generation) devices go into sleep mode after 20 minutes of inactivity. Amazon Fire TV (1st Generation) devices go into sleep mode after 30 minutes.

Your device may also show a screen saver, depending on your screen saver settings.

Put your Amazon Fire TV device to Sleep

Your Amazon Fire TV device goes into sleep mode after 20 minutes of inactivity. Amazon Fire TV (1st Generation) devices go into sleep mode after 30 minutes of inactivity.

However, you can manually put the device into Sleep mode:

From the Home screen, go to Settings > System > Sleep.

Tip: Quickly access various features with the Quick Access Menu. To open it, press and hold the Home button on your Amazon remote.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really do this, but...I believe.

If you're playing some video with the Fire TV and then just pause it or stop it, and then walk away. The video paused or stopped will simply remain on the screen (if you do nothing else) until the device by itself goes to sleep (dark screen or screen saver), as per the info above.

Then, if you later return to the device, any single button press on the device remote will wake up the device and redisplay your content on the screen. Just takes a second or two to return from sleep mode.

PS - With the Fire TV interface, there's no need or reason to use a mouse when navigating for video content. Everything works fine with the directional clicker remote control.

There are Android apps that allow your Android phone to serve as a remote keyboard and mouse for the Fire TV.  There also are several varieties of Bluetooth keyboards that are compatible with the Fire TV. In general, the Fire TV supports Bluetooth connections.

But using an external keyboard (on a phone or otherwise) really is only useful when you're first setting up the device and entering in log-in credentials for things like a YouTube account and similar. It's easier to type via the Android app and a standard touch-type Android on-screen keyboard on your Android phone than it is on the Fire TV's onscreen keyboard that uses the remote's directional keys to choose letters.

The same Android apps also give mouse functionality to the Fire TV. But mouse support is not enables or necessary at all when in the Android OS itself. However, once you entering into non-Fire TV apps, like a sideloaded Firefox browser or Kodi, for example, then you can use the wifi or Bluetooth mouse functionality.

52 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re Chromecast, yes, the web browser or phone or tablet serve as your interface. You use those to go to the content you want, and then click the CAST button to send the content to your Chromecast connected TV. Once you hit CAST, AFAIK, the content stops playing on your phone/tablet/PC and you're then free to do whatever you want with those devices without interrupting the ongoing casting.

Sorry, I should have added, the Chromecast device functions via wifi, and I believe the sending device and the receiving Chromecast-equipped TV need to be connected to the same wifi network in order for the process to work.

Thanks TGJB, I watched a YouTube clip about it last night and I don't think it will be for me but ending up as another dust collector.

I will keep looking for what suits me best, sadly the Fire TV is not really an option as I am not from the US but I also checked that out and it looks quite good.

We will likely keep the accent & very expensive True satellite TV package as my wife and computers don't mix very well and I am gone app 6 month per year for overseas work.

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Thanks TGJB, I watched a YouTube clip about it last night and I don't think it will be for me but ending up as another dust collector.

No problem, Guzzi... Just curious, I'm assuming you're referring to the Google Chromecast here. After watching the YouTube video, what was it that turned you off about it?  To me, it's a pretty cheap, simple and easy solution, not to mention very portable and easy to move around and re-install.

As for Fire TV, you know, it's not ONLY for the U.S. and U.S. folks. Amazon has an online presence and is doing online video is various other countries, including the UK, Japan, and a few others. Perhaps your home country isn't one of those.

The United States

The United Kingdom

Germany

Austria

India (Coming Soon)

Japan

Also, depending on what you want to accomplish, the Roku HDMI sticks have the same positive characteristics -- cheap, easy to install and move, simple to use. Plus, they're truly an international option, meaning there's no issue about needing to have a U.S.-based or Amazon account. Though AFAICT, Roku devices can't directly run Kodi. But they have apps for pretty much everything else.

As for the Thai wife, mine's pretty much in the same place. Despite all the available video streaming technology we have at home, the most she seems willing to do is stream YouTube videos on her mobile phone. Anything with the TV other than turn it on and change channels doesn't seem to go very far. But the good part is, when it comes to TV watching, she's mostly only interested in the cheap and easy to obtain local Thai channels vs exotic cable TV stuff.

FWIW, Roku has a YouTube channel, and I got in my email this morning a link from them about their YouTube video introduction to their new Roku stick, now called the Roku Express. Gives you a decent idea of how it works and is set-up.

Home Page:

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

Setup Guide:

https://support.roku.com/article/225735828-Roku-Express-Model-3700-Setup-instructions

Yes I am referring to the Chromecast stick (or drum, he-he).

I am a Dane where Amazon is not really in, so to speak. I uses a Kindle Paperwhite and loves it but that's a different story.

The Roku is interesting, thanks for the links, I will have to check that further out. So what is the main difference between an Andoid box and a Roku? I like the simple remote on the Roku and you can also use OIS or Andoid on top, nice touch. 

16 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes I am referring to the Chromecast stick (or drum, he-he).

I am a Dane where Amazon is not really in, so to speak. I uses a Kindle Paperwhite and loves it but that's a different story.

The Roku is interesting, thanks for the links, I will have to check that further out. So what is the main difference between an Andoid box and a Roku? I like the simple remote on the Roku and you can also use OIS or Andoid on top, nice touch. 

Roku is a closed ecosystem. Pretty well all of the content on it is paid.

That's why Android is far more popular.

48 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Roku is a closed ecosystem. Pretty well all of the content on it is paid.

That's why Android is far more popular.

Agree, Roku is a closed ecosystem, meaning you can't really monkey around with the OS, and it's not inter-operable with Android and Android apps.

However, it's simply not true to say "pretty well all of the content on it is paid."

I'm looking at my Roku home screen right now, and in the non-paid category, I see:

YouTube

Crackle

FilmON

CNET

PBS

CBS News

Sky News

IHeartRadio

TuneIn Radio

Shoutcast Radio

NHK TV

an app that gives you access to your ITunes Library

TubiTV

and a local media player for your own audio and video files

And then in the paid subscription category:

Netflix

Amazon Video

Sling TV

USATV Now

Google Play Movies and TV (which gives you access to content you already own, as well as the ability to buy and rent content)

Watch ESPN

NFL Game Pass

What Roku doesn't really do, which I presume is what Chicog is referring to, is give you direct access to all the quasi-legal streaming and torrenting content thats accessible thru Kodi and other similar means.

For someone like the OP who said he mainly wants a way to get Youtube onto his non-smart television, a Roku device is a perfectly fine solution.