Thai youths dig up dog corpses to eat - then find out the animals had rabies

webfact

Thai youths dig up dog corpses to eat - then find out the animals had rabies

a22.jpg

Picture: Thairath

MUKDAHAN: -- Thirteen Isan youths who dug up a pile of dead dogs to eat found out two days later that the animals had rabies.

The youths had to be rushed to hospital in Mukdaharn to have vaccinations, reports Thairath.

Animal welfare authorities in the province said Wednesday that they had visited the village of Khok Sung in Bang Sai Yai sub-district on Monday after the poo yai ban Withaya Thongmaha, 53, had reported lots of dogs biting each other in the area. She thought the packs may well have rabies.

The welfare authorities went to the area and rounded up many suspect animals. They cut the heads off the animals and buried the corpses.

The cut off heads were sent for analysis to Khon Kaen. Some while after the poo yai ban said that she had heard that at least ten youths had dug up the corpses and eaten the dogs for food.

A total of 13 youths were contacted and taken to hospital for jabs after it emerged that the dogs did indeed have rabies.

No reason was given for why the youths had eaten the dogs.

Meanwhile vaccinations of all dogs was taking place in a two mile radius of the outbreak and villagers were being warned to watch out for behavior of dogs who they suspect might have the deadly disease.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-27

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that as long as you didn't eat the brains or organs from an infected animal (or meat from around the bite area where infection entered body) and cooked the meat thoroughly you were ok to eat infected animals. 

Eating them raw or preparing the meat can be more dangerous though. 

I'm no expert however so I'm probably wrong  

Edited by Bluespunk

14 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

After destroying the dogs and cutting off their heads the corpses should have been incinerated, not simply buried where other dogs, foxes or other animals (including humans) could dig them up. Sheer laziness.

"....where other dogs, foxes or other animals..."

The only foxes in Thailand are in cities like Pattaya..;)

Edited by ratcatcher

4 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

McDonald's far and few between in Isaan and non-existent in villages away from a main city...too expensive for villagers...

up up there last week...Kansas 100 hundred years ago?

That's why people like it, no McDonalds crap and Kansas 100 years ago.

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing is done to round up and destroy countless thousands of potentially rabid soi dogs roaming the country. According to the results of a recent survey of dogs in Bangkok, around half may be infected and an estimated 15-20 percent of animals in the provinces could be carrying the deadly disease.

In the coastal resort where I live, there has been a marked increase in the soi dog population in recent years. One reason is the failure of the local authorities to ensure rubbish bins are neither dog-proof nor emptied when full. Another is the fact that well-meaning individuals feed packs of strays, ensuring they stay relatively healthy and can breed unchecked - which is what happens.

In our soi alone several people have suffered dog bites in the last month and we are told the local hospital deals with 20 cases PER DAY

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Are things that bad in Issan, when you have to dig up dead dogs

for food,

regards worgeordie

Yes who eats a dig up dog when he can easy find one along the road?

When i smell a rotting carcass at a U-turn i always search for the body and call my family from upcountry. They bring namplick and we all feast on it.

Countryboys learn great things from their parents...why work if you can have free meat?:partytime2:

Darwin's theory at work here again, but probably frustrated by the anti rabies vaccinations.    Deary me!  What a revolting thought.

Oh and thank you Mr canuckamuck!!!  Made my day. Quote!  "I remember when I was a teenager, we were always digging up dead animals for party snacks, good times."   Laughing and upchucking at the same time!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

12 minutes ago, pritch84 said:

Cut the heads off them??? Hope they were put to sleep first... Nothing surprises me here!

Buddhist Thailand would not euthanise a dog. They just let them die in pain. Mosquitoes, cockroaches, rats & mice however are killed. Can somebody explain the scripture logic in that?

What the hell I am reading here? 

Some kids randomly dig up some dogs and think to themselves 'hmmm with a bit of salt n pepper this is gonna taste like KFC' .. then proceed to cut the dead animal up and eat it!

Meanwhile they probably all have a facebook, instagram and what not account and act like cave men?? Highly doubt there was a shortage of food and people are starving in their village. 

What's wrong with the world?!

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Buddhist Thailand would not euthanise a dog. They just let them die in pain. Mosquitoes, cockroaches, rats & mice however are killed. Can somebody explain the scripture logic in that?

Unfortunately not. Had to watch my best mates dog die in hospital over a 3 day period as the doctor refused 'to put him down'. 

We all knew it was pointless but the doc insisted there might still be a chance.. a blind man would have seen the dog is 95% gone by now.. 

Edited by JerryinTH

1 minute ago, JerryinTH said:

Unfortunately not. Had to watch my best mates dog die in hospital over a 3 day period as the doctor refused 'to put him down'. 

We all knew it was pointless but the doc insisted there might still be a chance.. a blind man would have seen the dog is 95% gone by now.. 

3 hospital days of dying increases the final bill quite a bit. I've been there. My Golden took a week to die and the bill was over 16,000.

9 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Darwin's theory at work here again, but probably frustrated by the anti rabies vaccinations.    Deary me!  What a revolting thought.

Oh and thank you Mr canuckamuck!!!  Made my day. Quote!  "I remember when I was a teenager, we were always digging up dead animals for party snacks, good times."   Laughing and upchucking at the same time!!!

Darwin Award shoe-ins!