Strange entry stamp, not experienced this previously

So, after successfully attaining a 12 month, multiple entry, Non O from Savannakhet yesterday, upon return through Mukdahan, Thai Immigration stamped entry as 26th Oct 2016 (correct) but with admittance until 23rd Jan 2017?

Two things come to mind as to why this may have happened:

(1) Simple incompetence, as they did not bother to look at the visa expiry date being 24th Oct 2017.

(2) Regardless of the visa date,  a 90 day stamp forces you to undertake the 90 day reporting during which they will stamp again for a further 90 days? Maybe this is some new procedure?

Which is the more likely of the two?

If incompetence, should I visit the local Immigration Office asap and get the current stamp to reflect the actual expiry date of my visa?

Thanks

Edited by Sweet Revenge

As said visa expiration has nothing to do with permitted stay - max permitted stay on a non immigrant O visa entry is 90 days.  If you meet conditions you can extend any  stay for up to one year but if not you must leave and return for a new 90 day stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

As said visa expiration has nothing to do with permitted stay - max permitted stay on a non immigrant O visa entry is 90 days.  If you meet conditions you can extend any  stay for up to one year but if not you must leave and return for a new 90 day stay.

I thought I'd "met the conditions" as I applied for a marriage visa, presented all the docs as per requirement.

Previously I utilised Non- O retirement visas (3 consecutively) Thought I'd go this time for a marriage visa (1) Because I got married last December (2) It free's up some funds as the requirement is less for a marriage visa.

I still don't get it. Retirement and Marriage are both Non -O. Could come and go as I pleased with the retirement visa.

Retirement is O-A which provides a one year stay on each entry.  The normal O visa only provides a 90 day stay.  Marriage one year stay has to be obtained from immigration inside Thailand with proof of 40k per month income or 400k in bank account in Thailand for the required time period.  Both you and wife would have to appear at immigration during the last 30-45 days of a 90 day entry to obtain that.  Cost would be 1,900 baht.

You have a multi-entry non-Immigtant O visa  - you must exit every 90 days. It cost you 5,000B.

If you have 400,000+ in your bank account, then you should have been thinking about an extension .. You would have chosen a SE non-immigrant O visa and then within the 3 months applied for and extension at your local immigration office, which would have allowed you to stay for a further 12 months, but you would have had to do 90 day reports.

Maybe someone could advise you, can an extension of stay be applied for on a ME O? 

You're actually OK, its just you need to do one more step to get the year long extension. You have now have a non-imm O visa that can be extended. Within 30 days of your visa expiring, the next step is go to your local immigration office inside Thailand, fill out the appropriate forms, prepare your docs (marriage certificate, photographs, map to your house etc.) and have your bank provide a letter that you have 400,000 in the bank for at least two months. Pay some fees. Wait a month, and then you will have your one year extension. Best to go into your local office well ahead of time to get their specific requirements as they're different from province to province.

Next year you can get another extension from inside Thailand, you do not have to go out of the country again as it still is extended off your original Non-Imm O you got in Laos.

JB

The visa is not an extension of stay or an indication how long you can stay in the Kingdom, it just says that you can utilize the visa for entry into Thailand until the day it expires, multiple times.

Upon entry to Thailand the officer will stamp your passport with admitted date and "until" date which will normally be 90 days after admitted date. But as I understand the visa, a non-O based on marriage should have given you a one year stay?

Edited by AlQaholic

After checking....if you have a multi entry visa non-O you must exit/re-enter the country every 90 days. If you have a single entry non-O you have 60 days to apply for extension based on retirement or marriage and show that you qualify for that, i.e. funds, income etc....

28 minutes ago, Sweet Revenge said:

I thought I'd "met the conditions" as I applied for a marriage visa, presented all the docs as per requirement.

Previously I utilised Non- O retirement visas (3 consecutively) Thought I'd go this time for a marriage visa (1) Because I got married last December (2) It free's up some funds as the requirement is less for a marriage visa.

I still don't get it. Retirement and Marriage are both Non -O. Could come and go as I pleased with the retirement visa.

You must of gotten one year extensions of stay based upon retirement at immigration or a OA visa from a embassy that allows a one year entry.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration based upon  if you can meet the financial requirements. It can be applied for during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry from your non-o visa. 

2 hours ago, Sweet Revenge said:

With respect you would save yourself a lot of time and money if you learnt how the visa/permit to stay system works. If you already had permission to stay based on retirement you could have changed to marriage without needing to get a new visa.

• The visa you now have will allow you to come and go, but the maximum you can stay in the country, every time you enter, will be 90 days.
  • At the end of each 90 days you need to leave, or you can apply for a 60 day or 1 year extension of stay (subject to meeting the requirements).
  • If you exit every 90 days you can immediately return until, on or before, the expiry date of the visa ('enter before').
  • If you don't want to do border runs every 90 days you should have got a single entry visa and applied for an extension of stay based on marriage or changed the reason for an existing extension. However, any of the 90 day entries made with the new visa can be extended by 1 year as long as you've 400K in the bank or a certified (by your embassy) income of at least 40K pm.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweet Revenge said:

Non o based on marriage the way it works you come back into thailand you get 90 day permission to stay in thailand you then can iether extend that 90 days with a further 60 days based on visiting wife this is done at local immigration 100 bht a week or so before the 23rd Jan.  Then after that 60 days you have to leave thailand and re enter and do it all over again then a day or so before your multi entry expires leave and come back get another 90 days then extend by 60 again hence 17 month on your non o based on marriage .  Then back to Savannakhet for a new one.

14 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Non o based on marriage the way it works you come back into thailand you get 90 day permission to stay in thailand you then can iether extend that 90 days with a further 60 days based on visiting wife this is done at local immigration 100 bht a week or so before the 23rd Jan.  Then after that 60 days you have to leave thailand and re enter and do it all over again then a day or so before your multi entry expires leave and come back get another 90 days then extend by 60 again hence 17 month on your non o based on marriage .  Then back to Savannakhet for a new one.

Your post makes it appear he can extend 90 days - believe you mean he can exit/return for a new 90 days - you do not extend O visa entry for 90 days on basis of marriage - you can obtain 60 day extension one time or the normal one year extension by meeting the requirements.  Only by exit/return with a valid visa would a new 90 day stay be obtained.  All extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht.

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your post makes it appear he can extend 90 days - believe you mean he can exit/return for a new 90 days - you do not extend O visa entry for 90 days on basis of marriage - you can obtain 60 day extension one time or the normal one year extension by meeting the requirements.  Only by exit/return with a valid visa would a new 90 day stay be obtained.  All extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht.

No it does not read it again clearly states 90 days then extend by 60 then leave and do same again

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

With respect you would save yourself a lot of time and money if you learnt how the visa/permit to stay system works. If you already had permission to stay based on retirement you could have changed to marriage without needing to get a new visa.

• The visa you now have will allow you to come and go, but the maximum you can stay in the country, every time you enter, will be 90 days.
  • At the end of each 90 days you need to leave, or you can apply for a 60 day or 1 year extension of stay (subject to meeting the requirements).
  • If you exit every 90 days you can immediately return until, on or before, the expiry date of the visa ('enter before').
  • If you don't want to do border runs every 90 days you should have got a single entry visa and applied for an extension of stay based on marriage or changed the reason for an existing extension. However, any of the 90 day entries made with the new visa can be extended by 1 year as long as you've 400K in the bank or a certified (by your embassy) income of at least 40K pm.

Ditto, Just returned after my first step out on a non-imm O, wanted it this way to see how things went. If OK after the next year will head home and then may go Elite or the potential new 5yr visa that may be coming out.  No money in Thai bank hassle, just leave every 90 days.  No 90 day reporting and it gets me out of the house!  BTW, don't go to Vientiane thinking it is a vacation spot.  It is just to turn around and go back to LOS situation.  Next time Myanmar or Cambo!

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes indeed, I now recognise my ignorance of the system is solely blame. Thanks for your clear and concise advice.

• Like 1