Never invest more than you are prepared to walk away from, huh?

9 minutes ago, amykat said:

So Mr. Sophisticated Investor,

Do you really think it is a good idea to promote trading shares in general, shorting stocks, investing in a small emerging market to newbie, financially, unsophisticated people with their hard won retirement funds?  The fact that you have written this post proves that you are in fact, yourself, what you claim others in this forum seem to be.

This is not a forum for serious investing, therefore those of use who are interested in that probably go other places for that.

"This is not a forum of serious investing"....hilariously amykat. 

Are you a proponent of "unserious investing" and using TV to discuss your unserious investments?

Unserious investments will lead to disaster.

The key issue here is education and awarness.

Firstly, investment opportunities in Thailand are not just limited to property.

Secondly, there are lots of resources that can use to learn about those opportunities and assess the specific risks.

For example here is a simple article discussing how to value a Thai warrant:

How To Value A Thai Warrant

In the article below the author was discusses JAS-W3-R back when it could be bought at .36 Baht (36 satang).  Today it is trading on the SET at 5.35 Baht.  That is a profit of more than 1400% in less than nine months.

JAS-W3-R

Seriously?  You would need to be the worlds worst investor to lose money on Thai real estate, be that BKK, CM, Pattaya or Phuket.  Sure if you put the money and/or the decision in the hands of a girlfriend or wife then it's bound to go up in smoke.  Other than a bone headed decision like that everyone makes money over time.   

13 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Are you a proponent of "unserious investing" and using TV to discuss your unserious investments?

Unserious investments will lead to disaster.

The key issue here is education and awarness.

Firstly, investment opportunities in Thailand are not just limited to property.

Secondly, there are lots of resources that can use to learn about those opportunities and assess the specific risks.

For example here is a simple article discussing how to value a Thai warrant:

How To Value A Thai Warrant

In the article below the author was discusses JAS-W3-R back when it could be bought at .36 Baht (36 satang).  Today it is trading on the SET at 5.35 Baht.  That is a profit of more than 1400% in less than nine months.

JAS-W3-R

Yes, Jokester, there are good websites and books to become educated about investing.   Your ridiculous micro-topic is not one of them or at all relevant to anything except your own ego trip thinking that you look so intelligent by posting this shit here.  Your attempt to derail the topic of this thread to also boost your ego and stun the peasants with your brilliance is not appreciated as those of us who know better can see through your bullshit.  I don't talk on here about investing of any sort other than to warn people on occasion away from people like you and making stupid investment choices with their hard won retirement funds.

Amykat, have another toot on your crack pipe and calm down.

Some people have the intelligence to seek to educate themselves on investment options, assess the individual risks, and then apply their investment capital accordingly.

Others, such as yourself, choose to spit poison and vitriol and then cling desperately to their trusted TV doom and gloom mantras. 

Well, I am certainly not one of the doom and gloom believers about the stock market, about the dollar, about capitalism, about Thailand or about anything else that I can think of.  So don't try to categorize me as some idiot who is stock piling gold bars in my house.  If you are a reasonable investment professional, then why don't you address what I said in my first post?

Edited by amykat

2 hours ago, bamukloy said:

Condo-3million, difficult to re-sell, corporate body fees, risk of law and visa changes.

Then if/when sold, you have the problem of getting your money out of the country.

Endless headaches.

Or

1million-rent for over 10 years, walk at any time, zero headaches.

Its like the 'buy a house you cant own' issue..

They keep reading the horror stories

You can keep telling them..but will they listen??

Mugs.5555

Good points, except that if you rent you can't (usually) drill holes in the walls to hang art, or repaint the rooms in the colours you want.  You may have to put up with the owners crap taste in furniture as well.

Whereas if you buy you are free to do anything you want to the interior of *your* house or Condo.  You also don't have to worry about the rent going up or your landlord deciding not to renew.

6 hours ago, Gary A said:

I view rent as a total waste of money. As far as my assets, I have about half in the US (cash) and the other half here. I no longer trust the stock market and am now totally out of it. My LPL broker and I had a disagreement and I had him close out my account. Most of my cash is in bank accounts earning nearly nothing. I don't care. At least I can have the money in my hands whenever I want it.

I disagree in a western country yes renting sucks property has value and we can buy a real home. Here we can buy only Condo.  No thanks Sir. I will never sell the thing and when I do its old worth F/A. I will happily rent now. I own Condo BKK. Rented out. But try sell go on lol.

2 hours ago, amykat said:

So Mr. Sophisticated Investor,

Do you really think it is a good idea to promote trading shares in general, shorting stocks, investing in a small emerging market to newbie, financially, unsophisticated people with their hard won retirement funds?  The fact that you have written this post proves that you are in fact, yourself, what you claim others in this forum seem to be.

This is not a forum for serious investing, therefore those of use who are interested in that probably go other places for that.

This is my initial post. So far you have tried to discredit me several ways, by referencing me smoking a crack pipe, making jokes about "unserious" investing" and ignoring this whole thing, calling everything I said "misguided, ill informed rant, filled with hate and name calling" ...telling me to "calm down" as if what I have to say is of course an emotional overreaction. Then tried to say I was a "doom and gloomer." You started out by calling everyone on TV unsophisticated as compared to you.  I called you ...Mr. Sophisticated Investor ...I believe a compliment.  I called you Mr. Jokester after a series of jokes ...I think that isn't bad.  I can't find any other name-calling ...or are good names insults?

I made points about investing with newbies and your so-called unsophisticated investors.  The closest you have come to addressing that is to say :

Some people have the intelligence to seek to educate themselves on investment options, assess the individual risks, and then apply their investment capital accordingly. 

(But you admitted these were not those individuals, did you not?  By coming on this thread you are seeking individuals who do not have this experience already ..for the most part.)

And that is a lot harder to DO that it SOUNDS isn't it!! Especially when someone is pushing you to start in an advanced area, an extra risky area, and there are websites/books/seminars and charlatans everywhere selling you on the idea that it SO EASY to make money this way.

Okay, so I know what kind of person you are. I don't need to hear anymore.  I don't need anymore of your attacks on my credibility.  I am credible no matter if you realize it or care to acknowledge it or not.

11 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Good points, except that if you rent you can't (usually) drill holes in the walls to hang art, or repaint the rooms in the colours you want.  You may have to put up with the owners crap taste in furniture as well.

Whereas if you buy you are free to do anything you want to the interior of *your* house or Condo.  You also don't have to worry about the rent going up or your landlord deciding not to renew.

Sean

This is not the west.  I have rented dozend of properties in Thailand over the years.  Detached houses, penthouses, condos, large commercial properties, and currently I am in a farm house.  I have my own furniture, and so only rent unfurnished properties.  On two occassions I have asked the owner of a apartment if he will remove the furniture in a place so that I can rent it empty.  On both occassions the owner said yes.  Secondly, I have repainted and put holes in the wall of every property I have rented.  I have a large safe that bolts to the wall with six half inch dynabolts.  Thirdly, I have never ever experienced a Thai landlord not wanting to renew a lease.  In fact I have had several Thai landlords offer me a discounted monthly rent if I stay on.  Contrary to the TV doom and gloom mantra boys I have never lost a single penny of my deposits either.

I should add that although I have rented a good deal I am also not against purchasing Thai property if it is a good investment.  If you check my post history you will see a thread I started a good while back where I purchased a new house on land close to the beach for just over 400K THB all in .  I have a usufruct over the title.  Did everthing myself.   I stopped posting on that thread because of the doom and gloom morons that showed up to high jack the thread.  One member who appears to know a good deal about property is BlackCab.  He made some very valuable observations on my old thread. 

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

I rent two condos out and I would never remove the furniture for a tenant.  Where would I put all of it?  Rent a storage space for it?  Sort of defeats the purpose.  I would also not look kindly on a tenant drilling large holes in the walls or repainting the walls--or changing much of anything.  Guess I'm a mean landlord but I'm not as bad as one I met who didn't want her renters to do any cooking!

15 hours ago, bamukloy said:

Condo-3million, difficult to re-sell, corporate body fees, risk of law and visa changes.

Then if/when sold, you have the problem of getting your money out of the country.

Endless headaches.

Or

1million-rent for over 10 years, walk at any time, zero headaches.

Its like the 'buy a house you cant own' issue..

They keep reading the horror stories

You can keep telling them..but will they listen??

Mugs.5555

I marked it "Like"  but lets do the math - a rental house of any nicety is 15K a month x 12 =180K a year x 10  = 1,800,000  =  + electicity per year 6,000, water garbage mostly 00.  repairs over ten years maybe another 100K  -  so 2,000,000 for 10 years rental. ie.......up in smoke  add another mill to that when you buy and your loss is only 1 mil by your way of thinking.  

Okay bring on the guys that rent a 6 bedroom house in ickysan on 100 Rai of land for 6,000 baht a month  -  in a pigs eye!!       Nevah Hoppen  in this day & age

If I didn't own property in 3 countries already, I would not be afraid to buy in Thailand  - My mantra is "Rent until you are ready to Buy"!!

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I marked it "Like"  but lets do the math - a rental house of any nicety is 15K a month x 12 =180K a year x 10  = 1,800,000  =  + electicity per year 6,000, water garbage mostly 00.  repairs over ten years maybe another 100K  -  so 2,000,000 for 10 years rental. ie.......up in smoke  add another mill to that when you buy and your loss is only 1 mil by your way of thinking.  

Okay bring on the guys that rent a 6 bedroom house in ickysan on 100 Rai of land for 6,000 baht a month  -  in a pigs eye!!       Nevah Hoppen  in this day & age

If I didn't own property in 3 countries already, I would not be afraid to buy in Thailand  - My mantra is "Rent until you are ready to Buy"!!

In Bangkok an ok place starts at 40,000 a month.  Electric at 3000 per month not 6000 per year.

You really aren't in the 'nice' bracket until you hit 100K a month.

21 hours ago, seancbk said:

In Bangkok an ok place starts at 40,000 a month.  Electric at 3000 per month not 6000 per year.

You really aren't in the 'nice' bracket until you hit 100K a month.

Ouch  -  I was referring to us medium income, annuity folks - have seen some nice Condos in Jom Tien for 12-15K a month, but they are like hotel rooms, a 2/3 bedroom house w/pool in the Dark Side of Pattaya, between 18-30K renting.      I can get a fairly new hotel room in Bangkok for the 40K a month you speak of - Citadines on Soi 8, long term, 38K per month, (six months advance)no utilities, free decent internet speed, and they will also wash clothes for long term residents free.................gotta shop around.

On 10/28/2016 at 11:28 AM, newnative said:

I rent two condos out and I would never remove the furniture for a tenant.  Where would I put all of it?  Rent a storage space for it?  Sort of defeats the purpose.  I would also not look kindly on a tenant drilling large holes in the walls or repainting the walls--or changing much of anything.  Guess I'm a mean landlord but I'm not as bad as one I met who didn't want her renters to do any cooking!

What??  No cooking in my rental??, thats like buying a car and being told you can only drive it in Bangkok............who would be stupid enough to live there?? whatever the price.

On 10/28/2016 at 0:49 PM, georgemandm said:

How do you know it is a joke I have no idea and if it is I said sorry did I not .

My wife takes good care of me and I think we have a VERY good relationship. I happen to be a crotchety old fart and I readily admit it. She happens to have a good sense of humor and she is not a clinging vine type.

On 10/28/2016 at 10:54 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

spot on. and i forgot the 'dont get married' for the bonus point. 

My rules for living in Thailand are a bit different;

Never spend more that you can comfortably walk away from.

Never be worth more dead than alive.

Keep a low profile and mind your own business.

I AM married and I am quite content. It did take me several live in tries and a number of years to find a woman who I am compatible with to actually marry.

When I first retired here, I rented a pretty nice apartment. He wanted his rent paid six months at a time. He was a little fussy and made routine monthly visits to make sure that his property was well taken care of. I wanted to put a wall clock up and he wouldn't approve that. No holes in the walls. I told him I would use adhesive tape. That was also not permitted. My electricity was metered by him and cost double what the electric company charged. After about a year of using a spread sheet to keep track of every small expense, I decided that I could use my savings to buy a condo. I bought exactly what I wanted and was criticized by some of my friends for paying too much and being told I would never get my money back. I knew that I would never be satisfied with a shoebox like my friends had. One important requirement was a separate bedroom and another, room for a washing machine. I am able to do exactly what I want with my own condo. I chose carefully. I have absolutely no regrets.

The major problem I have with condos in the disjoint between their pricing and that of workaday Thai property.

For example, the cheapest shoebox farang quota condos on the West coast start at circa 1.5 million.

I bought a newly builit house, on a nice block of land 5 minutes from a beautiful west coast beach for 410K THB all in.

The risk sets are entirely different, that is, if I bought a condo it would be in my name, and the little house I bought is in the name of my girl with me holding a life usufruct.

But I am happy because I am NOT willing to pay a over 1 million more to buy a shoebox condo with no land or garden, and ongoing body corporate fees. 

I spent 100K extra on the little house (mostly nice tiling) and now rent it out 6K a month on a 12 month lease.  You do the math on the ROI.

On 10/30/2016 at 2:42 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

Ouch  -  I was referring to us medium income, annuity folks - have seen some nice Condos in Jom Tien for 12-15K a month, but they are like hotel rooms, a 2/3 bedroom house w/pool in the Dark Side of Pattaya, between 18-30K renting.      I can get a fairly new hotel room in Bangkok for the 40K a month you speak of - Citadines on Soi 8, long term, 38K per month, (six months advance)no utilities, free decent internet speed, and they will also wash clothes for long term residents free.................gotta shop around.

You can definitely get more for you money if you are willing to live somewhere other than central Bangkok and if you have your own transport.

On 10/30/2016 at 2:44 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

What??  No cooking in my rental??, thats like buying a car and being told you can only drive it in Bangkok............who would be stupid enough to live there?? whatever the price.

Some of the newer buildings in Bangkok have units that are so small they have no kitchen.   Just a space for a kettle, a small microwave and a small fridge.   You can't 'cook' in those places, only re-heat the street food you've grabbed on your way home.

Many young single Thais finish work and then eat out with friends and/or colleagues before going home to sleep.  So they don't even bother taking food home.