Brexit Vote Triggering Thai Demand For Prime London Flats

webfact

Brexit Vote Triggering Thai Demand For Prime London Flats
By Special to The Nation

BANGKOK: -- IN ALL the uncertainty surrounding the impact of Brexit, a windfall of London’s property market has been the influx of Thai and other overseas buyers who are lured by the significant discounts that the market now offers with the depreciation of the pound. 

UK developers have always been keen on the Thai market and have promoted their projects here for three to four years.

However, the market was not that active and the project choices were limited until the electorate voted in June for the UK to leave the European Union. 

UK developers are now capitalising on the current situation by becoming increasingly aggressive in overseas marketing. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/columns_management/30298530

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-28

Patriotic, nationalistic Thais buying property overseas, well well ! I wonder who some of the intending buyers might be and  I'd think there will be requests for anonymity ?. :biggrin:

Many no doubt are those who would have a fit at the thought of a foreigner being allowed to own anything here.

A little reciprocity wouldn't go amiss but then expect the Thais to howl about being discriminated against.

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

It'll end in tears...

Why?

The London property market is facing a double whammy: falling property prices and cheaper exchange rates.

Makes sense to buy into a downswing in a center of finance and education, rather than at the peak in one's own country...

5 minutes ago, trogers said:

Why?

The London property market is facing a double whammy: falling property prices and cheaper exchange rates.

Makes sense to buy into a downswing in a center of finance and education, rather than at the peak in one's own country...

Much of the reasoning behind pro brexit voters was based in hate of immigrants and the ridiculous notions that they were "taking our jobs/homes/living off our benefits".

How do you think those same voters will react to an influx of foreigners buying up property in a market where, despite falling prices, the same property remains out of the reach of many?

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Patriotic, nationalistic Thais buying property overseas, well well ! I wonder who some of the intending buyers might be and  I'd think there will be requests for anonymity ?. :biggrin:

Many no doubt are those who would have a fit at the thought of a foreigner being allowed to own anything here.

A little reciprocity wouldn't go amiss but then expect the Thais to howl about being discriminated against.

Ah, the entitlement of the Thai superclass .   Do they or the expensive private schools which educate their progeny ever get around to subjects like ethics or morals ?    They just teach their children to blend in and demand anonymity when necessary.    

27 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Ah, the entitlement of the Thai superclass .   Do they or the expensive private schools which educate their progeny ever get around to subjects like ethics or morals ?    They just teach their children to blend in and demand anonymity when necessary.    

I'm sure some schools do cover civics, civic responsibility etc but probably the Thai students are excused boots for those lessons.

A friend of mine who stayed in Thailand for 2 years had big problems to return 400.000 Baht to his account in Europe. Why is it then so easy for Thai buyers of property in London to get permission to export money?

Name these buyers.  Thaksin bought three UK mansions + one football club whilst I was denied buying a modest domicile on a housing estate in Thailand.  How come there is no agreement with Thailand about frozen state pensions yet Thais can buy up UK properties.

The UK Gov should make it an even playing field - you can't buy here if our ex-pats can't buy there.

Probably just not related to flats, it should be reciprocal, if we cant buy houses in Thailand, then Thais should not be able to buy in UK.

However 'what problem' seems to have a work around for the time being.

Edited by sungod

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I am fully in agreement with NKK and find it hypocrisy at the highest level. Funnily though how many Thais can afford 1.5 million pound? With all the immigrants living in London I can just imagine how the hi so Thais will view there newfound home in the city.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Much of the reasoning behind pro brexit voters was based in hate of immigrants and the ridiculous notions that they were "taking our jobs/homes/living off our benefits".

How do you think those same voters will react to an influx of foreigners buying up property in a market where, despite falling prices, the same property remains out of the reach of many?

Blame the UK government in stopping the construction of public housing for the masses, like what Singapore does for its citizens.

A free economy cannot stop investment in the private sector.

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am fully in agreement with NKK and find it hypocrisy at the highest level. Funnily though how many Thais can afford 1.5 million pound? With all the immigrants living in London I can just imagine how the hi so Thais will view there newfound home in the city.

I wonder how many rich Thais keep overseas property, and bank accounts, as a bolt hole for the future in case the wheels come off their way of life here ?

2 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I wonder how many rich Thais keep overseas property, and bank accounts, as a bolt hole for the future in case the wheels come off their way of life here ?

I certainly know of one who bolted when his wheels came off here ! :smile:

Maybe his sister will follow......................

54 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

A friend of mine who stayed in Thailand for 2 years had big problems to return 400.000 Baht to his account in Europe. Why is it then so easy for Thai buyers of property in London to get permission to export money?

the Thais who buy London property are doing it by using their money in Hong Kong, Singapore and Switzerland.

I was talking to a CBRE real estate director for a certain department regarding to how many Thai buyers actually buy property in UK. She said her company sells less than 10 units, there are around 3-4 properties being promoted each year in Thailand and they hold the events in hotels.

If you compare to to foreign buyers buying expensive $1 million up properties in Thailand, it runs in the hundreds.

Funny how an article makes people think that Thais are flocking to buy properties n the UK, the truth is that they are not.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

The UK Gov should make it an even playing field - you can't buy here if our ex-pats can't buy there.

I know a lot of expats get angry knowing that we can't buy houses here when some (and it is a small number - a few hundred perhaps) Thais can buy houses in the UK. 

Just satisfy yourself knowing that those house purchases are doing a lot to support the UK economy and the UK should gladly take the money of foreigners. Better the Thais invest their money in the UK economy than the Thai one correct. 

The fact we can't buy a house here is an economic opportunity lost by Thailand. Even more so when you see the huge number of new moo baans which are invariably half occupied with unsold units.

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

I was talking to a CBRE real estate director for a certain department regarding to how many Thai buyers actually buy property in UK. She said her company sells less than 10 units, there are around 3-4 properties being promoted each year in Thailand and they hold the events in hotels.

If you compare to to foreign buyers buying expensive $1 million up properties in Thailand, it runs in the hundreds.

Funny how an article makes people think that Thais are flocking to buy properties n the UK, the truth is that they are not.

CBRE gets only get 5% market of purchases by Thais?

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Name these buyers.  Thaksin bought three UK mansions + one football club whilst I was denied buying a modest domicile on a housing estate in Thailand.  How come there is no agreement with Thailand about frozen state pensions yet Thais can buy up UK properties.

Do you really think your government cares a RAss about you? They  foreign governments are profit prostitutes. They want incoming cash much like here. Governments around the world are back filling as fast as they can. Their main interest is stop the economy from tanking long enough to hit the cashiers cage on their way out. 

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Why?

I can see that as a disadvantage to those already in this over-priced property market, but surely a cheaper Pound Sterling and falling prices can attract buyers who feel the currency will recover and due to the property shortages in the UK, the long term prospect for prices is up.

Hopefully, one day the UK will be more flexible, and not require hard to obtain visas for Thai nationals and take better advantage of this rich and getting richer sector.

I would just like to bring my partner over without having to dance through hoops.

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Why?

What peak? Pricing in Thailand has no logic, so there is no peak, any more than there is a trough.

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Hi so Thais will be just so so Thais in London.

3 hours ago, mike324 said:

You're missing the point, which is the ability of Thais to freely buy property in the U.K. whilst we can't do the same in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

You're missing the point, which is the ability of Thais to freely buy property in the U.K. whilst we can't do the same in Thailand.

I did not miss the point, I understand what people are talking about. I also understand the concerns of Thais being afraid foreigners will own a lot of land in Thailand given how cheap land is in some places.