Five teenagers dead as pick-up collides with trailer in Petchabun

rooster59

Five teenagers dead as pick-up collides with trailer in Petchabun

รูปข่าว-1062.jpg
Image: Workpoint

Five teenagers were killed after their pick-up collided with a trailer carrying corn on the Sai Nam Roirn - Chaliang Chap road in Petchabun yesterday evening.

The young people were on their way back from a day out at the Erawan Falls. Locals said that the pick-up pulled out into the path of the trailer that smashed into the driver's side.

The accident occurred at the intersection heading towards the falls.

Seven people in the back of the pick-up were either thrown out or crushed and some of them were run over by the trailer.

Dead at the scene was the driver of the pick-up 19 year old Thanakorn Suksak who had to be cut out of the vehicle.

Two found dead under the trailer were Napasin Somsri, 15, and Suphanya Yortsurin, also just 15.

Khanitha Kaetkhot and Wichuda Phoyaem, both 16, were taken to Petchabun Hospital but soon died from severe head and lung injuries.

Four people were also seriously injured. These were three other teenagers in the back of the pick-up. These were named as Prakit Janthak, 15, Ratchada Kaetkhot, 13, and Suphawat Suksak, aged 17.

Also hospitalized was the Hino trailer driver Ekapong Thipmon, 35, who had a gash on his chin.

The trailer was carrying a load of corn from Lomsak district to a depot in the central region. The teenagers were on their way home from the Erawan waterfall.

Petchabun police are investigating the accident.

Source: Workpoint

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-29

51 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Another confusing report. Was there a prime mover or tractor pulling the trailer or was the trailer running out of control?

To me, the pick-up smashed into the front of the truck....which was likely towing a dog trailer...

8 minutes ago, Ratcher said:

Tragic RIP all. Young inexperienced  driver. Pickups with a full human cargo in the back are death traps. Should be a law against it. 

There IS a law against it......There is also a law against riding in a side carrier attached to a motor bike, but nobody cares....Did I mention the other 700 traffic laws that nobody gives a crap about.....

6 hours ago, Borzandy said:

"Dead at the scene was the driver" thank you my Buddha.

Seriously? You are happy a kid has died?  Wow.  Just wow.

I get it. You want retribution. Vengeance. Convinced you are that the driver was 100% responsible and that there were no other factors with the other vehicle such as  driver distraction, excessive speed,  worn out  brakes & tires etc., or that the turn location was poorly laid out etc.you pass judgement and rejoice at a young man's grim and grisly death.

Yes, I know teenagers can do stupid things. We all did. Even me. Having people maimed or dying due to car crashes does not  contribute anything to society, not even the cynical draining of the gene pool. Someone more stupid will just take the deceased's place.

How about you go and share your compassionate sentiments with the kids' families, especially their parents. You sit there and look into mum's eyes and  say to her ".Give thanks to Buddha". 

And so another tragic loss of 5 young lives,  I'm not even going to go into the whys and wherefores of this tragic accident, needless to say the armchair Sherlocks will deduce that whoever or whatever was to blame so no real point going there.

Sad, so very sad. :sad:

11 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

How sad for the driver and the owner of the truck.

the 10wheeler truck crashed head on into the right side of the pickup. most likely the boys were turning right without looking into the back mirror, and the 10wheeler was overtaking at high speed at an intersection. so who is to blame?

In Canada  in the 60s we could ride in the back of a pickup.  I am glad that

laws got better and people had to start wearing seatbelts, and quit riding

in the open boxes of pickups.  Thailand and other parts of Asia are still like

the 50s and 60s in North America.  I enjoy my visits, but I think I would likely

die if I  tried to live in Thailand year round. Being a foolish teenager, and driving

in a careless manner  is not a good reason to die. RIP

Geezer

15 hours ago, Ratcher said:

Tragic RIP all. Young inexperienced  driver. Pickups with a full human cargo in the back are death traps. Should be a law against it. 

There is a law against it, but it is never imposed.

16 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Seriously? You are happy a kid has died?  Wow.  Just wow.

I get it. You want retribution. Vengeance. Convinced you are that the driver was 100% responsible and that there were no other factors with the other vehicle such as  driver distraction, excessive speed,  worn out  brakes & tires etc., or that the turn location was poorly laid out etc.you pass judgement and rejoice at a young man's grim and grisly death.

Yes, I know teenagers can do stupid things. We all did. Even me. Having people maimed or dying due to car crashes does not  contribute anything to society, not even the cynical draining of the gene pool. Someone more stupid will just take the deceased's place.

How about you go and share your compassionate sentiments with the kids' families, especially their parents. You sit there and look into mum's eyes and  say to her ".Give thanks to Buddha". 

Totally agree with u. Wot a senseless thing to say.

R.I.P kids, too young to die

23 hours ago, hobobo said:

Dead scary to see those utility vehicles with the tray area full of people. I have seen loads of cops in that situation - they just don't get it. Prevention is the key to people's stupidity. Not understood in Thailand.

So who to blame here? Not the people involved in fact - the system of useless policing is to blame.

23 hours ago, hobobo said:

Indeed.

Some will find it hard to believe from what you see on the roads.

It is not allowed to carry passengers on an open pickup platform.

Imposed when they need pocket money.

Easy earned at checkpoints.

Similar like improper stowing/overloading.

Is my English not good enough or what seems unclear from the description of the witnesses?

pulled out into the path of the trailer that smashed into the driver's side.

A simple blackout, carelessness, false estimation?

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Another confusing report. Was there a prime mover or tractor pulling the trailer or was the trailer running out of control?

Not really confusing just the wording by the journalist. It states that the pickup pulled out into the path of the trailer, perhaps should have said prime mover. If you look at the photo you should notice that the front of the prime mover has damage consistent with a head on collision to the side of the pickup which the article states.