Gun Laws in Thailand

3 hours ago, grollies said:

I'm not going into too much detail due to the subject in hand and you are obviously clued-up on the law here.

We are out in the sticks here and the missus wants a gun which we are in the process of procuring.

I wanted a shotgun, 5 shot, pistol grip, better spread IMO, but the BIB recommended a handgun so that's where we're at.

But you are correct, we are advised to transport it unloaded, in a case with ammo seperate. We have the chaps number to call if stopped on the way home.

Peace of mind, two of us alone, 'rich' falang, etc, etc.

Friend of ours has concealed carry permit, without any obvious need (but one never knows what people are really into), pretty easily obtained.

I would recommend separate locked cases both ammo and gun and keep them in the boot/trunk .  I use one of those aluminium cases with combination locks you can buy in Panthip Plaza for the gun and cash box for the ammo.  I keep pistol magazines in a third bag, although not a lockable one.  If I have bolt action rifle, I remove the bolt.  The important thing is that it can be demonstrated that you can't get the gun loaded and ready quickly to support your case that you had no intention of using it in the car. 

I have heard some quite strange advice on use of a firearm for self-defence from Thai legal experts on a hand gun training course at a military institution. More than one has said things like make a noise by racking the slide first to warn the intruder to run, fire a warning shot first and, if the threat still doesn't go away,  aim below the wast.  Load only .38s in a .357 magnum to show that you didn't have the intention to kill.  They say that Thailand is a Buddhist country and courts would not accept the same type of 'stand your ground' legal approach that prevails in some US states.  My response was that, if you have to rack the slide in front of an armed intruder you may be dead before you could get a round off.  Same with a warning shoot.  If you aim below the waist, rather than at centre of mass, you have a good chance of missing completely, not to mention that you might shoot the intruder's balls off.  If you have ever had to do any speed shooting under stress or pressure, you will know how easy it is to miss a fairly large target with a handgun and I have never even tried this in the dark.  We were also advised not to shoot double taps or multiple taps but to shoot one shot and observe the results to see whether a second or third shoot is justified.  But if you look on YouTube, you can see plenty of clips where an armed attacker needed 5 or 6 rounds from a 9mm pistol at close range before he ceased being a threat.  A shot gun loaded with 00 buckshot might be more decisive in this respect but you might end up deaf, if you had to use it in a confined space.  When I asked about hollow points, I was told they were no problem, as Thai courts could not readily distinguish between different types of ammo, just between calibres, but everyone knows that .357 magnum is bad news, probably because of the word 'magnum'.   It must be bad enough to be facing a deadly threat somewhere like Texas but I thought that , if you have to have all that stuff going through your mind, you might as well hand over your gun to the intruder and invite him to execute you and your loved without further ado.   I would think that warning approaches might be appropriate, if you encountered a single intruder and could see clearly that both of his hands were empty, or that he maybe had a knife but was still too far away to get anyone with it.   If you encounter an intruder you think might have a gun, the safest thing to do would be to fire 2 or 3 shots at centre of mass as fast as you can.  Let's hope none of us ever does encounter an armed or unarmed intruder.   

Thinking about the rare occasions I have seen reports of some one shooting an intruder in Thailand, I can't remember any of these issues coming up but I assume the legal experts had reasons for their arguments based on actual court cases.  Hollow points certainly seem a useful consideration for home defence.  As well as delivering more stopping power, they are less likely to overpenetrate and harm someone other than the intruder, which should be an argument make in court, if necessary.                        

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grollies said:

@kwasaki, because my net is shit I can't quote you directly.

I agree and it was my intention to go that route and make-up some rock salt cartridges. Used them in the UK on foxes and dogs.

However, handgun or shotgun, it is the deterrent effect rather than shoot to wound or kill that sees off a would-be burgler.

It would be me using whatever weapon and, from previous experience (three times), I'm under no illusion as to the fear one experiences in armed situations.

But, we are opening up a whole new direction to the topic, probably not a good idea.

This guy is not too convinced about rock salt cartridges for self defence.  Seems like you would have be very close to the threat and that most of the damage would be done by the wadding.  In the Thai context I am not sure how a rock salt cartridge would go down legally.  It is a home made or home modified cartridge which makes it theoretically illegal to possess or use but the intent is to cause less lethal damage. An interesting idea he introduces though is cleaning a shotgun with a tampax and hot soapy water which is something I would never have thought off but I might try it.   https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-33-rock-salt-in-a-shotgun/.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Arkady said:

This guy is not too convinced about rock salt cartridges for self defence.  Seems like you would have be very close to the threat and that most of the damage would be done by the wadding.  In the Thai context I am not sure how a rock salt cartridge would go down legally.  It is a home made or home modified cartridge which makes it theoretically illegal to possess or use but the intent is to cause less lethal damage. An interesting idea he introduces though is cleaning a shotgun with a tampax and hot soapy water which is something I would never have thought off but I might try it.   https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-33-rock-salt-in-a-shotgun/.  

Yes l can see what the problem could be, my point was in an average house they not going to be far away unless your living in mansion.

The thing to me is you can just let rip instead of saying hands up or l fire, :biggrin: just blast away.

I think it was this thread where some people recommended putting say 2 blanks in a handgun then a loaded rounds after l thought that was a good idea.

The same could be initiated with a shotgun.

As for firing shotguns in the house what was that you said again can't hear. :biggrin:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes l can see what the problem could be, my point was in an average house they not going to be far away unless your living in mansion.

The thing to me is you can just let rip instead of saying hands up or l fire, :biggrin: just blast away.

I think it was this thread where some people recommended putting say 2 blanks in a handgun then a loaded rounds after l thought that was a good idea.

The same could be initiated with a shotgun.

As for firing shotguns in the house what was that you said again can't hear. :biggrin:

I think there are definitely pro and cons to using rock salt and/or blank cartridges for the first one or two shots and escalating to live rounds, if the treat is still there.  But I think you would need a revolver or a pump action shot gun to do this, as these rounds are unlikely to cycle semi-autos.  My semi-auto shotgun will not even cycle with the bird shot rounds used for clay pigeons because they are too mild to generate enough gas for the cycling.  I think the same would be true of most blank rounds in a semi-auto pistol. With no lead projectile(s) there won't be much recoil or gas produced.   You could try loading a pistol with a first one round of CCI rat shot which I have seen for sale in Thai gun shops.  That should do less damage than a hollow point also might not cycle the next round.  You would have to test it for cycling and ballistic effects.  I remember a famous murder case in Thailand where the victim was shot in the temple from point blank range with rat shot.  On appeal the wealthy defendant convinced the court that his brother, with whom he was in a bitter dispute over inheritance, had managed to shoot himself in the temple with his weak hand and had chosen to borrow a gun and load it with rat shop, leaving his own pistol loaded with regular cartridges in the glove compartment of his car downstairs.              

5 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I think there are definitely pro and cons to using rock salt and/or blank cartridges for the first one or two shots and escalating to live rounds, if the treat is still there.  But I think you would need a revolver or a pump action shot gun to do this, as these rounds are unlikely to cycle semi-autos.

Most certainly in a gun on gun scenario.

Understand l have no illusion that in a possible confrontation with someone who may have no problem about killing me,  l would not hesitate to kill them. 

I just think that if there are other ways found by not using rounds capable of kill in the first initial firing and just cancel out and neutralize a kill to a disabling of the intruder it would be better.

Further to my theory it would stop hesitation of those who don't really want to kill anyone.

What about gun vs taser situation.  :biggrin:

This may have been covered in this thread but it's been a long time since I've read it and the thread is now very long:

Are any of the following legal in Thailand (and surrounding countries if anyone has knowledge of this):

Tasers?

Stun gun (electric shock when touching someone)?

Pepper spray?

Anything else of this nature other than guns?

Edited by JimmyJ

On 10/30/2016 at 6:31 PM, blackcab said:

Firstly, ordinary Thai people can not get a license to own this type of firearm. In Thailand it is classed as a war weapon.

That said, you seem to be linking the girlfriend's photos with her boyfriend's legally owned pistol. Why does the weapon have  to belong to the boyfriend?

Are you certain it's a weapon and not a BB gun?

yep it is a bb -gun

Unless the guy has "a lot " of money , since a normal pistol costs 60 000 to 100 000 baht .

a pistol can only be bought on a Thai name and :

person must be 24 y ,be owner of a chanout, be owner of a car , must have bank account and money,this was told to me by the chief of police in Pattaya some years ago.

Imagine :a farang uses the gun of his wife and injures (or worse) a thai thief.......the farang will be jailed and deported.

( he gave the example: a 16 y youngster , climes your wall , breaks in and tries to steal you video player .If you injure him....

it will be your nightmare ! Not only the police will come for you ,but also the family and friends of the boy..........and this for a video player???

Better have a simple insurance ,it will cover your losses.

4 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Pattaya some years ago.

Imagine :a farang uses the gun of his wife and injures (or worse) a thai thief.......the farang will be jailed and deported.

( he gave the example: a 16 y youngster , climes your wall , breaks in and tries to steal you video player .If you injure him....

it will be your nightmare ! Not only the police will come for you ,but also the family and friends of the boy..........and this for a video player???

Better have a simple insurance ,it will cover your losses.

It's nearly always Pattaya, the only place in Thailand not surprised to hear this. :biggrin:

8 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

This may have been covered in this thread but it's been a long time since I've read it and the thread is now very long:

Are any of the following legal in Thailand (and surrounding countries if anyone has knowledge of this):

Tasers?

Pepper spray?

For frangies I would guess in Thailand there not legal.

Bow & arrows you can have.

Samurai copy swords.

Knives but only in there place, not to walk around with on person.

A strong sock with a load of ten baht coins in it is OK. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 4:19 AM, JimmyJ said:

Tasers?

Pepper spray?

All either formally or informally classified as weapons, AFAIK.  Pepper spray used to be sold in some stores and over the internet in Thailand but the police put a stop to that.  I had some which saved me from a pack of dogs once.  I didn't hit any of them with the spray but the sound and/or the smell scared them and make them back off, giving me enough time to make my escape.  When I tried to replace it the shop said they couldn't sell it any more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Are L121A1 used by the military here l wonder what a bueat of a rifle.

Would luv to have one to have and to hold until the end of my time,  bit like the wife. :laugh:

I don't think so.  Accuracy International is too expensive for them I doubt the UK gives them away or in sweet deals.  No one imports the AI brand for the private sector for that reason.  The Thai military may have some other .50BMG rifles but that calibre is illegal for civilians, since the law prohibits anything larger than .45 for civilian use.  However, .338 LM  rifles that are good for 1,500 metres (I think 1,200 metres officially for US snipers)  are owned by civilians legally but the ammo is B600 plus a round.   I don't know if Thai military snipers have them.     

11 hours ago, Arkady said:

All either formally or informally classified as weapons, AFAIK.  Pepper spray used to be sold in some stores and over the internet in Thailand but the police put a stop to that.  I had some which saved me from a pack of dogs once.  I didn't hit any of them with the spray but the sound and/or the smell scared them and make them back off, giving me enough time to make my escape.  When I tried to replace it the shop said they couldn't sell it any more.

Thank you Inspector Renko.

10 hours ago, Arkady said:

I don't think so.  Accuracy International is too expensive for them I doubt the UK gives them away or in sweet deals.  No one imports the AI brand for the private sector for that reason.  The Thai military may have some other .50BMG rifles but that calibre is illegal for civilians, since the law prohibits anything larger than .45 for civilian use.  However, .338 LM  rifles that are good for 1,500 metres (I think 1,200 metres officially for US snipers)  are owned by civilians legally but the ammo is B600 plus a round.   I don't know if Thai military snipers have them.     

Thanks for interest l have always liked and been interested in long range guns remember reading the 375 Cheytac rifle shot over 4500 yards and it took something like 10 secs. :biggrin:

The  L121A1  reading is mainly used in shorter distance although still a long way to shoot engines and target under cover.

Use to have a spare 34 inch 2.3/4 chambered full choke barrel for a Remington 870 pump in UK.

Use to have fun with friend seeing what an HV-SG cartridge could do at long distance.

My friend was given an  illegal in UK a 1 ounce solid lead cartridge used in Canada for bringing down a Moose.

It was looking a bit old so we shot it at this 40 gallon drum from 40 yards it entered the drum making a hole the size of almost a golf-ball and blew a jagged back out of at least 6+ inches, no wonder illegal. :biggrin:  

The farmer friends land we could shoot on let us have a go with his battered 22 with tele-sights, forget what gun it was, surprised at the distance that could shoot.

He had the scope zero-ed at a short kill range to stop foxes.

Who the 'ell is Renko. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 5:43 AM, grollies said:

Friend of ours has concealed carry permit, without any obvious need (but one never knows what people are really into), pretty easily obtained.

Very interesting.

People have been posting that it's almost impossible.

Did he simply go to the local police station and apply?

On 6/30/2017 at 9:41 PM, Kwasaki said:

Who the 'ell is Renko. :biggrin:

I guess I'm wrong since he never responded to it.

When I saw "Arkady" I immediately thought of Inspector Arkady Renko and was sure that's where Arkady came up with his handle.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Read this from cover to cover whilst bored yesterday. Opened my eyes a little made me laugh a lot. In the end this is Thailand so what the Law says, doesnt mean its going to be enforced in any way.

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Read this from cover to cover whilst bored yesterday. Opened my eyes a little made me laugh a lot. In the end this is Thailand so what the Law says, doesnt mean its going to be enforced in any way.

Enforcement would be at the point of being caught can't really see any other way in any country when it comes to illegal gun ownership.

France is a much bigger joke about a 100 gun licences issued to people on a suspect terrorist list. :sick:

English Police can wave a little stick thingy at Armed Crims . Must hang on for Armed Responce Team to get dressed , get through London traffic, give the Crin a lecture and then shoot the Bastards.By then the 2 with sticks are dead.Hollowed be the Wimps who make the rules in Offices..??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Enforcement would be at the point of being caught can't really see any other way in any country when it comes to illegal gun ownership.

France is a much bigger joke about a 100 gun licences issued to people on a suspect terrorist list. :sick:

And even then when caught nothing happens. Conversation very recently between me and a police man."Hello falang you shot those to eat." "Yes" "look good!!!" "Here you want one" "thank you maybe see you again". And away he went and away i walked.

41 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

And even then when caught nothing happens. Conversation very recently between me and a police man."Hello falang you shot those to eat." "Yes" "look good!!!" "Here you want one" "thank you maybe see you again". And away he went and away i walked.

Sorry don't see what your getting at,  he obviously didn't care and wasn't bothered.

What was for eat. ?

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sorry don't see what your getting at,  he obviously didn't care and wasn't bothered.

What was for eat. ?

Getting at,  gun laws are only in print rarley enforced.

Food wise no coment well not on here anyway or :post-4641-1156693976: will be out by some.

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Getting at,  gun laws are only in print rarley enforced.

l'm not sure but for me l wouldn't want an illegal gun or registered gun in my car if stopped and found by a army check point if l didn't have a gun permit.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

l'm not sure but for me l wouldn't want an illegal gun or registered gun in my car if stopped and found by a army check point if l didn't have a gun permit.

I would agree but most who use around here do so only around here. And in all my years here in thailand visiting and living i have not once seen an Army checkpoint. Pleontoy of police road checks who have never once looked through my cars interior.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

I would agree but most who use around here do so only around here. And in all my years here in thailand visiting and living i have not once seen an Army checkpoint. Pleontoy of police road checks who have never once looked through my cars interior.

Yeah l understand where l live is cowboy territory so cool but still hope you don't get caught out, for myself l want stay in Thailand.  :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah l understand where l live is cowboy territory so cool but still hope you don't get caught out, for myself l want stay in Thailand.  :thumbsup:

Again i wouldnt get caught as i never travel in a car with rifle. Poaching is all local.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Arkady said:

The curtain is finally coming down on foreigner gun permit applications   

A bit sad for responsible foreigner gun enthusiast and unnecessary IMHO.

If Thai government officials had brains they would be dangerous.  

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They don't and they are. Did you see the photo opportunity with the chief of police with his new sig sauers? pointing it at the lady next to him. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

At least they are likely to be allowed to keep the guns they already have.  Hopefully there will be no foreigner gun crime incident that makes them want to revoke the licences. Foreigners with permits in their own names are mainly people with permanent residence and have a career in Thailand or were working here at the time they applied.  There may be a few rogues amongst them but their level of responsible gun ownership is by and large way above the level of the average Thai licensed gun owner.  

• Like 1