Russians injured in backhoe smash on dark road

webfact

Russians injured in backhoe smash on dark road

Phuket Gazette 

pkt1.jpeg          

The victims collided into a backhoe parked at a road construction site. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- Three Russian were injured when the car they were in smashed into a backhoe parked on the Manik-Cherng Talay Road in Srisoonrthon early this morning.

“The foreigners, named Vitaliy Savenko, 49, Natalia Eremikhina, 23 and Pavel Martynov, 23, were heading toward the Heroines’ Monument about 5:30am. They came across a road construction site where the backhoe was parked, and could not brake in time to avoid a collision,” Lt Sunan Petnhu of the Thalang Police told the Phuket Gazette. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russians-injured-backhoe-smash-dark-road/65792?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-10-31

Interestingly, two women on a bike were injured there in the same way a few hours earlier. Not as newsworthy as Russians?

Warning signs displayed, but not lit up on a dark road, and possibly the vehicles were going too fast for the conditions.

13 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Might be an idea to check the link to see if there were any warning signs.

There were speeding signs warning them to slow down but there was no indication of a backhoe sitting in the dark road.

Edited by Pimay1

10 minutes ago, Pimay1 said:

There were speeding signs warning them to slow down but there was no indication of a backhoe sitting in the dark road.

Perhaps they were fresh out of the very specific "Komatsu Backhoe in Road" warning signs, so they thought a slow down sign should be sufficient even for pedants.

For me the problem was the lack of lighting.

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps they were fresh out of the very specific "Komatsu Backhoe in Road" warning signs, so they thought a slow down sign should be sufficient even for pedants.

Trouble is, the Russians probably don't understand what "ลด ความเร็ว" means !!!

Pity they didn't have one of the hi-tech signs:

I wouldn't understand the wording either, but would slow down and take care if I spotted this on the road. It's somewhat more visible than Pimay's twig. The positioning of the vehicles in this photo raises some questions also.

This is the sign in question

1_20161031105158691_xjVzbkhWGDeRJnVQGEWpnPQDBPFYqXsoGOniyVEF_jpeg.jpg

Backhoe, Excavator, JCB, Digger etc - who cares, thing is the machine is not even on the road but in the dirt at the side of road, from the picture question is how does a car end up perfectly straight rammed up the machines backside? Think more than speed may have played a part in this incident, hopefully no major injuries to anyone

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I wouldn't understand the wording either, but would slow down and take care if I spotted this on the road. It's somewhat more visible than Pimay's twig. The positioning of the vehicles in this photo raises some questions also.

This is the sign in question

1_20161031105158691_xjVzbkhWGDeRJnVQGEWpnPQDBPFYqXsoGOniyVEF_jpeg.jpg

It says "slow down"

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Backhoe, Excavator, JCB, Digger etc - who cares, thing is the machine is not even on the road but in the dirt at the side of road, from the picture question is how does a car end up perfectly straight rammed up the machines backside? Think more than speed may have played a part in this incident, hopefully no major injuries to anyone

A motorbike hitting the same backhoe a bit earlier could indicate it is not as straight forward as it looks.

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

No, it was inattention and too fast on an unlit street.

15 hours ago, Lokie said:

No the digger is in the left lane of a dual carriageway. If the picture had been taken a few metres back you can see that that lane goes from tarmac to dirt right at the point that sign is placed with nothing further back down the road to warn drivers.