Life with the farang abroad - no bed of roses, says German's wife

webfact

2 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

They seem to think we were all born on a mountain of money, I wish.

Nothing annoys me more than farangs giving excessively large tips and other misguided generosity, only reinforces the belief.

What do you consider to be "excessively large tips".... for example.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

she just married the wrong guy................. another cheap german story

There are no right men, at least with wealth . The seriously wealthy don't come looking for Asians, it's a big step down in their social circle. Older guys on a pension tend to stay in Thailand and never leave, white collar workers again don't generally tend to import an asian but come here for fun only.

Generally speaking it's mostly blue collar factory workers or tradesman that come to import a wife.

I could be wrong! It's just my experience

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Well, welcome to real life, girl. Where is it written that the Farang man has to take care of everything? A big dream and, once clarity prevails, many relations go South because the girls think they are short changed by their Alien boyfriends or husbands.

Women in Europe work, run households, look after kids, shop and cook meals and in the evenings iron laundry while watching some TV - if they are lucky and still not too tired to do so. 

It is time to pass on the message to those little Isan Sweeties that looking pretty does not automatically guarantee Sugardaddy's unlimited credit card use. 

And bringing in four kids into a Alien wedding is a message on its own - on which I do not want to elaborate here. But maybe she knocks on the door of the impregnator of those kiddies - something which can be pursued through Thai courts as well. 

In closing, expect rampant changes all over Isan now as all those basil farms will compensate for the farmers inability to produce rice at world market prices and hence would otherwise risk going out of business ... 

4 minutes ago, mcfish said:

There are no right men, at least with wealth . The seriously wealthy don't come looking for Asians, it's a big step down in their social circle. Older guys on a pension tend to stay in Thailand and never leave, white collar workers again don't generally tend to import an asian but come here for fun only.

Generally speaking it's mostly blue collar factory workers or tradesman that come to import a wife.

I could be wrong! It's just my experience

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Not 100% right

well, what the hell she will tell us? How she earned money in Thailand before? With her body, as many Isaan girls do? What the hell this rice field plonker expects? No education! No manners, but 4 children. With how many men? She can work as a cleaner earning 15 Euro an hour without even speaking German. However I suppose she got her A1? And if she is lucky she will get some education.....if she can read and write. Who knows.

Ah, diddums, my heart breaks for her. 

The cost of living in Gerrmany compared very unfavourably with her life back in Thailand. Gone were the days of taking a growing family out for dinner and being able to pay just 1000 baht.

In Germany you were lucky to get much change out of 5,000 or 6,000 she said

Yes, but, you see, in Germany -- if you were WORKING -- you'd be earning 6-10x as much and thus the price of a meal out is relative. What I can only presume has happened here is, she has gone from 'earning' money (horizontally?), where she could then take her family out for a meal. Now that she isn't earning her own money (ie - the easy way) and in a place that requires normal people to actually do real work, it has all dawned on her. Guessing her bloke is not being a sucker and urging her to bring money to the table. Good on him. Now go out and work your cute little A$$ off! 

Working is a part of life in the western world ,most married or de facto partners all work , some countries have good baby bonus schemes and 18 months parental scheme's, if you want to survive you both need to work, in Thailand they seem to think that being on welfare, and in saying that I mean bludging off the partner who seems to be a mobile ATM is a right , as one guy said from Canada he spends more in Thailand than he does in Canada, I know what he means.

When I took my girlfriend (now my wife) to Belgium for the first time she was astonished to see cars drive more carefully than in Thailand and stop for pedestrians that wanted to cross the roads. And that the police were cleaning (brushing) the glass and debris away from the road after a accident. I had previously told her that everything was more expensive here, but it was still a surprise to see some vegetables been 10/20 times more expensive....on the other hand some fruits like apples, pears strawberry's, peaches, Prunes etc... were cheaper and had a far better taste than in Thailand. But my wife is a intelligent resourceful woman and still manages to kook a great meat for a few euros....the cheapest been a Thai meal for two Euros !!!! She's a great kook and kook's Thai meals for friends on a regular basis.

the biggest been a full course for 35/40 people. She has done this several times. She is so successful in this that we have to refuse people and kook exclusively for friends and family. We spend some 6 months in Thailand (winter in Europe) and 6 in Belgium (Rain season in Thailand) and this is a perfect combo for both of us. so we can get the best of both worlds. In Thailand we travel everywhere, and in once Belgium I try to show her as much as possible from Europe.

Best regards.

She can speak German as to even get here with her husband, unless she came here to learn, then met him here, so not dumb, but stupid, not everything is free here, Health Insurance is not free, but she does not mention her Child Benefit of around 800 Euros per month.

My wife came here under the freedom of movement (Germany), decided to go to school to learn for herself, registered and paid everything herself. Some of her friends also learned the language as they did not want to sit at home and wait for hubby before going anywhere. She regularly buys all the Thai things she needs, even in the main shops like Real and Kaufland. Shame that some women cannot be bothered to go out and find these things.

There are lots of Facebook sites of women who live in Germany, they all pass information to each other like Thai Visa, maybe she just needs more contact with other Thais

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

They seem to think we were all born on a mountain of money, I wish.

Nothing annoys me more than farangs giving excessively large tips and other misguided generosity, only reinforces the belief.

The kind of <deleted> who has 3 80baht beers and hands over 300 baht and says keep the change.

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Trouble is a lot of them lie to save face and others believe them. My mrs keeps telling me her relative earns 100k baht a month working in a Post Office in the UK, every time I try to find out where this office is there is never any info. It's well known that waitresses earn even more!

Don't know what the UK  post offices pay  (I'll try to find out ) but  100,000 baht   say $3,000 USD  would be for a part time worker at a PO in USA. I retired from  the PO in Boston  Mass  USA and my brother and other friends who are still working there  pull in $60,000  + USD a year and some  $90  to  $100,000 a year with overtime working 6 days a week  10--12 hrs a day. Mailhandlers can work 7 days a week because their contract is different than clerks. A Federal workers we all get the same pay whether you work in NYC or Killeen , Texas or Kentucky .

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

Many of us DO choose to integrate & learn the language - to different levels of proficiency, admittedly, but we do try to learn - and when we ask about citizenship we find out that, without paying income tax immediately prior to application, we're absolutely ineligible for consideration.

We don't all have the benefit of being long-term expat workers here Johnniey, as I believe you are, or we're beyond the time in our lives when we want to restart work so that we qualify for Thai citizenship.

Not for us the luxury of being considered good & suitable people, integrating with Thai society and generally being 'good blokes' so we can be considered as citizenship candidates.

Rather than being considered for citizenship because we don't harm local society, we have to prove we're a positive benefit. Nothing wrong with that but we could do without the likes of you then berating us for not integrating and asking about citizenship. 

How many foreigners in 'our own countries' have gained citizenship without working a day or paying any income tax at all? They just keep their heads down, comply with the rules & regulations of society - as do the vast majority of foreigners here in Thailand who will never be eligible for citizenship - complete the paperwork, pay the fees and HEY PRESTO! a passport arrives on their doormat one day.

Good for you if you try to integrate. I was not berating you,  but the majority who don't want to integrate.  I'd say I've met only 10  who speak fluent Thai. I've known  hundreds who live here  over 10  years and can't tell me the month it is  or other very basic things.

I guess not many countries give passports to those not willing to work.

It still is possible in Thailand,  by paying yourself an income but not having to do anything.  if I were a retiree,  I'd be happy enough being given the privilege  of being allowed to live in another country.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

I can only laugh. 

When my wife(GF at the time) decided to go back to the US with me she was initially excited. After being there 3 months and me back at work full time she took it on herself to look for employment. At first she was happy as there wasn't any discrimination about her age. She went to work with a Thai we had met at a Temple in Fremont. She owned a restaurant/catering business. She worked a lot and her first check was crushed after she saw how much taxes they took. Then when she started to add it all up she found that after gas in car and other costs that she was taking home very little. She, like the gal in the OP, found it very hard to find certain spices and herbs and when she did had to pay a premium. She made due. 

In the end I am glad she had this experience. As she has told many of her friends while we were there, do not believe all of what you read on the internet or see in the news. Its very very expensive to live in America and you work a lot and make very little. She absolutely freaked when she saw what they took in my check. 

She is very happy to be here.

Going slightly off-topic, the 2nd para (re. tax paid) reminds me of Clive James' book (Falling Towards England?).  He talks about his first job and on receiving his first pay cheque being shocked at the amount of 'stoppages'.  IIRC he came to the conclusion it meant 'heart stoppage'! :lol:

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

Trouble is a lot of them lie to save face and others believe them. My mrs keeps telling me her relative earns 100k baht a month working in a Post Office in the UK, every time I try to find out where this office is there is never any info. It's well known that waitresses earn even more!

2000 thousand pounds a month seems normal - so I don't get your point. Do waitresses earm more than 2000 quid a month?

3 hours ago, Gimbo said:

Here in Norway statistics shows that Thai and Philipino women are the most likely of all foreigners to be working, with an emplyment rate allmost on par with 

their Norwegian sisters. It is simply expected that after learning Norwegian (there is a compulsory, free language course of minimum 300 hours they must complete if they want perman et residence and later citizenship). 

is to get a job. But due to lack of education the Thai mostly end up in cleaning jobs. 

Now my wife is working for the local council, cleaning schools full time (7,5 hours a day), and for that she is paid around 330 000NOK which is around 1,4 million baht a year. Sounds like a dream right?

But rent (and we are lucky to get it that cheap, as the landlord is a relative): 35000 baht a month.

She bought a car, and took a 500 000 baht loan to buy a 10 year old VW Tauran... the bank wants 11000 baht a month in repayments

One papaya costs 600 baht

the truth is that Norway is so expensive that two incomes is needed to survive. 

Re. the last para. - that's true for anyone on average earnings in most (all?) Western countries.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My wife keeps in touch with a lot of Thai women in Canada. Half of them are miserable for the exact same reason. It really has nothing to do with money, but with empty promises the guy has made to bring his little trophy gal into the "civilization".

Totally his fault for being an idiot.

but the resident muppets keep hammering the poor thing like she committed a crime :sick:

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

The lesson of this story: don't marry Germans. :smile:

Seriously, where ever you live and what ever you do, the most important thing is to surround yourself with good people. This begins with your spouse and your friends. 

Of course it helps if you are also good to other people... :whistling:

Never understood the guys that come here to grab a wife and take her back to their country. IMHO and just MHO I would never take a person from their homeland with or without their consent. The draw is too great and it's a recipe for disaster. I was fed up with western women AND western life. Came here and replaced both with far superior in both categories. 

4 hours ago, thai3 said:

£2,300 per month is feasible for working in a post office.  Depends on her grade.  Remember there will be at around 1/3 in stoppages out of that.

57 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The kind of <deleted> who has 3 80baht beers and hands over 300 baht and says keep the change.

perhaps some "<deleted>" tourists find it worthwhile to pay the princely sum of £2 or €2 being entertained by one of the ladies for an hour or two.

32 minutes ago, csabo said:

Never understood the guys that come here to grab a wife and take her back to their country. IMHO and just MHO I would never take a person from their homeland with or without their consent. The draw is too great and it's a recipe for disaster. I was fed up with western women AND western life. Came here and replaced both with far superior in both categories. 

Quite often I've grabbed a beer.

Can't quite get my head around grabbing a wife.?

6 hours ago, beachproperty said:

Just another live testimonial that life in Europe is more expensive than Thailand!

Ah, yes, but did he have  "performance motor" there?  Prestige cars are so cheap (away from Thailand) and they are so important to some TV F members especially when saying that Thailand is NOT cheap.   

BTW, Gosh she looks real young to have had 4 kids.  Is that meant to be her picture?  Who would agree to let her live in the lap of luxury in Germany (or wherever) while also paying the upkeep of 4 kids, (in Thailand or Germany or wherever????)  none of which were presumably his, without saying "you will need to contribute some by having a job of some sort."  I am sure there is a lot to this story we have not been told.    It would be nice to hear the German hubby's side.