Life with the farang abroad - no bed of roses, says German's wife

webfact

I think the sad part of the story is,

she was expecting to go to Germany, do nothing but sit on her arse all day & still send money home to the family.

I met My wife here in the UK, she came with the minimum amount of money for her stay, luckily she was staying with a relative, as the money she brought, was gone in days.

So when she came to live here full time, she was well aware of prices & what you have to do to survive.

She tells as many girls as will listen, what living in London is all about, as most of her friends work in TV & film & although work long hours, have a rather charmed life in LOS.

When there, like most of her friends, she didn't cook, ate out every meal, didn't wash & iron clothes, caught taxi's everywhere, had a great social life, what a shock it would have been if she hand't holidayed here first.

Luckily My wife was a Trained hairdresser, b4 She got her degree  (which is neigh on worthless here in the UK) so she had a career to full back on, many of the girls that go abroad, don't even have a decent level of education & a very poor grasp of the native language, so can only get very poorly paid jobs, what with getting their heads round the poor weather, it's got to be a massive shock to the system & puts a strain on a young marriage.

I could go on & on & on, but it'll be no different from what you all know & have experienced for yourselves 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

1.95 in REAL their own brand

Yeah. Woman i know was showing off to her lower friends that she went to my home country and water costed 250baht a bottle. Lol. She didnt tell them this was in a restaurant and the same water costs 40thb in supermarket... so now half of the soi believes farlang can afford water at 250thb per bottle... genius!

Seangpin thought at first that her life would be easy. She thought she was lucky and her husband would take care of everything.

I like the first two words: Seangpin thought

Is there a word for "partnership" in Thai language? Or is it just translated to: "I have 4 kids and now you take care me and my family for the rest of my life while I go shopping every day?"

I can imagine what this poor thing is going through. When I turned 15 I discovered that one has to work to make a living. But I was blessed enough not to put 4 kids in this world hoping some idiot third world woman will take care of them.

Edited by Lupatria

30 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

I live in Germany with my Thai wife, she does not work, does not need to. She knows that prices are expensive, she has travelled around Europe a lot and been back to my home in the UK, but she knows where to buy what she needs, you do not just go to one supermarket to get things you have to shop around. 

Looks like you and I got one of the very good Thai wives LOL

Mine was well travelled before we met and knew how to shop around.

My wife also dosen't have to work other than slave after me LOL

But she loves me and it's a joy to be my slave - or so she says LOL

We live in Spain half the year and Thailand the other. She has the opportunity to work in Spain but she doesn't need to.

My pensions are sufficient to keep us in the lifestyle we like.

There is no mention of her friends in Germany.

When I  brought my wife to Spain my first priority was to get all the residency paperwork done with a background priority of locating other Thai's living in the area.

There are not so many but we have made some nice Thai friends and their Spanish or British husbands.

Most live more than 100Km away so we only meet occasionally, but there is the phone and Skype so my wife does not feel stranded in a foreign country.

Finding Thai fruit, veg and herbs was quite difficult at first but we're getting there and we are settled into both countries very well now.

Strangely enough, in our part of the south east of Spain, there is very little difference in living costs once you remove housing from the equation.

However, we have a car in Spain but not Thailand. Too dangerous in Thailand!

Having mobility gives us much more flexibility and to be honest, if it were not for keeping in contact with my  wife's large family, we would stay in Spain full time.

As our Thai contacts are expanding, we are being invited to more events and no my wife is planning on delaying our 2017 return to Thailand to allow us to spend Christmas and the new year in Spain....

Happy wife - happy life.

45 minutes ago, Thechook said:

For some its not paridise but if they are willing and have the drive they can make a great life abroad.  my wife set up a small accounting  business in Melbourne Australia  and has 5 employees and wants to expand.  She grew up in Chai Nat near Nakon Sawon, the daughter of a rice farmer who put her through Uni.  We met in chiangmai own a house and travel to and from every 3 months.   A thai lady has far more options and oportunities abroad than a farang does in thailand 

Why? Because most farang don't bother to integrate or even ask about how to get citizenship. Hell, most don't even learn the language then complain about having no rights lol lol

24 minutes ago, connda said:

Well, yeah!  Most 'Rich Farangs" in Thailand barely make ends meet in their own countries.  Lol.

But. They can afford plane ticket which is the equivalent of a honda wave and many thai will need a loan spread over 5 years for that... ergo: farlang.him.rich.very.very.

So many caring loving thoughtful hard working thai wives in this thread that I'm starting to wonder who married into the other 50%...the lazy cows lying around watching TV all day lol

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Gimbo said:

the truth is that Norway is so expensive that two incomes is needed to survive. 

I would say that most of Europe is the same if you want to be able to live a 'so called western lifestyle' and not live in a dump. I think the Thai girl thought she could sit and eat and relax and live the 'sabai' lifestyle getting luxurious and being the 'madam'. Obviously she has realized that the movies are not all true.

Hopefully she will become a better person for it.

4 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Probably saw Hans splashing the cash on his holiday and didn't realise he was having to save up for 11 months to do it.

He he. I have some Farang friends who call themselves - Millionaire (for the month LOL)

Exactly as you say, save and then splash!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Those who think that marrying a farang is a way to riches and an easy life - forget it!"

They will not believe it until they have done it...

Having had many many apprentices for the position of Mrs B, it is clear they have their heads in the clouds.

My message to them is if they want to live in Cuckooland go marry a Swiss guy... :tongue:

7 minutes ago, mcfish said:

So many caring loving thoughtful hard working thai wives in this thread that I'm starting to wonder who married the lazy cows lying around watching TV all day lol

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Perhaps some of us farang think with our big Head and some only with the small one? LOL

Life in India is still easy for women.Many of them stay at home and look after children and cook food and go shopping for daily needs.Mrn go out to work and manage all financial needs. Indian currency is half of Thai baht 100 baht means 200 Indian rupees so comparatively living costs should look easy.Also eating out  for a family of 4 can be done in about 1200 rupees that is 600 Baht's.Local transport is easy and cheaper so is Medicare and education is better. Most Indians own a house.If they have money to visit Thailand that means they are reasonably well to do.

So ladies why not consider marrying an Indian rather than some other national.

Sorry your bubble burst, ma'am. The grass isn't that green once you're on the other side eh?

And +1 to the last paragraph: "The video prompted a lot of online comment from Thais most of whom said no matter where you live and with whom, you have to work and get money to survive. It was no different abroad though it might be more expensive in many places."

Ohhhhh, you lose soooo much money to taxes?

Yeah...that is, why we have ROADS and HOSPITALS and free SCHOOLS and HEALTHCARE and othet SOCIAL SERVICES in Farang land!

You don't like farang land?

Go back to wonderful Thailand!

(God, I waited so long to say that!)

Edited by DM07

If you are taught a lie since you were a child you are going to believe it.  You will believe it no matter how many people tell you differently.  Until you see for yourself.

Even if this girl's messages goes viral.  There will be thousands of 'farm girls' looking at each other and saying "Wow she found a bad farang husband.  Not me."

Apart from the cost aspect, Europe (and other parts of the western world) are increasingly rapidly falling into a cultural abyss and are not nice places to live anymore, and less you can buy your way to avoid the issues.

Thailand is a far better option, but then again not for everyone.

11 minutes ago, Narpat said:

Life in India is still easy for women.Many of them stay at home and look after children and cook food and go shopping for daily needs.Mrn go out to work and manage all financial needs. Indian currency is half of Thai baht 100 baht means 200 Indian rupees so comparatively living costs should look easy.Also eating out  for a family of 4 can be done in about 1200 rupees that is 600 Baht's.Local transport is easy and cheaper so is Medicare and education is better. Most Indians own a house.If they have money to visit Thailand that means they are reasonably well to do.

So ladies why not consider marrying an Indian rather than some other national.

Having listened to my Wifes  comments on Thai landlords I can tell you that and Indian is probably the last person they would want to marry.................(note this isnt my opnion)

When I was still having to commute back to the states to finish my work and retire I wanted my wife to come with me for the last few months. One friend said oh good she can come clean my house, we're not such good friends anymore. She is a pretty well educated, both school and self taught and had no wish to go to America. She did get the passport but after starting the work for a visa I realized that it would cost a small fortune and there was no way we could get in time for her to come. She admitted she did NOT want to go to America, had no desire to go, paid attention to the news- that's a clue. It certainly wasn't a desire to live off the farang with a life of luxury. She understands I'm not a walking ATM, unfortunately her bat-shit crazy mother doesn't.

She works, works hard here, has her own noodle shop and is now struggling with rheumatoid arthritis in the hands, runs in the family. The lady has no quit in her.