confused about pink ID card for PR

There is some confusion here - to which I also contributed - sorry again!

What people with PR are talking about is the "Alien Registration Book" (ใบสําคัญูประจำตัวคนต่างชาติ) - the Red Book as it is commonly called here.

The "Certificate of Residence" or (ใบสําคัญูถิ่นที่อยู่) is another document.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He has permanent residency. He needs a replacement residence certificate.

Terminology semantics.

I'm following it now Joe. Not sure everyone else will.

gamini needs a replacement certificate of residence booklet, (similar to a passport) obtained from CW. (not a C of R letter from his local Immigration office)

p.brownstone is talking about his red alien registration book issued by a Police station.

Both of above only issued to those obtaining Permanent Residency status.

56 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

Slightly off-topic, sorry!

My Certificate of Residence is now full and I am due for renewal of my 5 yesr extension in February next year.

Is the Form you referenced the same Form I have to submit and do I need to go to Chaeng Wattana or my local Police Station (where I usually get the 5 year extension)?

Patrick

You need to get a replacement Certificate of Residence booklet from CW Immigration.

You have to sign at your Police station every 5 years (red alien registration book) not to extend your residency (that is permanent) but more of I'm still alive and this is my address kind of report.

5 hours ago, Faz said:

You have to sign at your Police station every 5 years (red alien registration book) not to extend your residency (that is permanent) but more of I'm still alive and this is my address kind of report.

Given that the specific point of my original Post referenced the fact that my Alien Certificate book was now full I was asking for information on the procedure  to obtain a new Document - ergo it should surely be self-evident that my "Red Book" was issued many years ago - and therefore that it no longer has space for further renewals after many years of fulfilling the 5 yearly requirements as required by Thai legislation.

Thanks for your Post but there is a saying in Thai ....... "Don't teach a crocodile to swim".

Patrick

7 hours ago, p_brownstone said:

You said it!

The topic was about ID cards for those with PR status, before it was high jacked about 'Certificates of residence' and 'red books'.

It threw me for a while and my post was merely to try and explain in a manner so that other members could follow the conversations if they were sufficiently interested ................I wasn't trying to teach an old croc how to swim, so apologies if I stepped on your toes..

I understand the complete gist of this topic, but some members will still be lost in the wilderness.

55 minutes ago, Faz said:

You said it!

The topic was about ID cards for those with PR status, before it was high jacked about 'Certificates of residence' and 'red books'.

It threw me for a while and my post was merely to try and explain in a manner so that other members could follow the conversations if they were sufficiently interested ................I wasn't trying to teach an old croc how to swim, so apologies if I stepped on your toes..

I understand the complete gist of this topic, but some members will still be lost in the wilderness.

Please do not edit my Posts to distort what I said - I believe this is against Forum Rules :

What I actually Posted, in full,  was :

What people with PR are talking about is the "Alien Registration Book" (ใบสําคัญูประจำตัวคนต่างชาติ) - the Red Book as it is commonly called here.

The "Certificate of Residence" or (ใบสําคัญูถิ่นที่อยู่) is another document.

Patrick

Did I run over your dog!

Firstly, I did not edit your post, nor distort what you said, I merely clipped an extract from it which is not against forum rules.

Secondly people with PR were talking about the ID card, not the alien registration book, which gate crashed the topic.

Thirdly, when you mentioned the Certificate of residence, your meaning and those of the ordinary member are totally different.

A Certificate of residence is a letter obtained from Immigration as a form of proof of address for purchasing a vehicle as an example.

I merely tried to clarify the difference between that and the Certificate of Residency booklet a PR holder obtains.

You have a 'Certificate of residency', not a 'certificate of residence' as you typed, one a document, one a booklet, so get your own terminology correct before you start calling people. for misunderstanding your mistype!

And no, I didn't edit your post and change residence to residency before you accuse me.

I gave an apology, your not getting a birthday cake.........jeez!

16 hours ago, Faz said:

I merely tried to clarify the difference between that and the Certificate of Residency booklet a PR holder obtains.

You have a 'Certificate of residency', not a 'certificate of residence' as you typed, one a document, one a booklet, so get your own terminology correct before you start calling people. for misunderstanding your mistype!

Sorry, small correction: the booklet for a PR is actually named "Certificate of Residence". Not residency.

It can be a bit confusing to have the English term "Residence Certificate" used with two entirely different meanings and the documents for two different purposes.

The Residence Certificate (ใบสําคัญูถิ่นที่อยู่) is the booklet with the form number TM.32, previously with a blue cover, currently white.

The Residence Certificate (หนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่พักอาศัย) is the form without a number with the title APPLICATION FORM FOR RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE IN THAILAND (แบบฟอร์มขอหนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่พักอาศัยในประเทศ)

No confusion when using the Thai terms, as the Thai texts translated as Residence and Certificate are not identical in the two terms.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The OP posted that his original Alien reg'n book was very old and fallimng to pieces. Another poster suggested he get a new one.

Mine too is very old and full. No room for new pictures. i have stuck pages in for the past few years and had the Police stamp and initial the new photo with no problems. But only because nobody knew where to obtain a new Alien registration Book.

Do any TV members with PR know where to get a new Alien Reg Book  -the red one   (NOT the PR book itself)?

12 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Do any TV members with PR know where to get a new Alien Reg Book  -the red one   (NOT the PR book itself)?

The police issue them so they should be the ones that would have to provide a replacement. I would think your local police station could request one from the provincial office or the next office up in the chain of command.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The police issue them so they should be the ones that would have to provide a replacement. I would think your local police station could request one from the provincial office or a higher one.

Correct Ubon Joe. The police issue them and should replace them. But my local police refuse point blank to do anything. They know nothing about PR and Alien Reg, and just do exactly what I tell them to do (except ask the provincial police to help). Happy to continue that way..