confused about pink ID card for PR

Yes as Thaijames says, it is an interesting story. I also agree that you should just grab the blue card.

It sounds to me like you are actually a Thai citizen.

If that is the result of a bureaucratic error made in 1980 it could well be that there are no records to prove it one way or the other.

• Like 2

The pink ID is not an ID card; be careful ! This is written in the back of it. It's usually handled to Burmese, laotian and Cambodgians. (I don't think they change them)

And it's also stated that the holder  must stay into the district noted on the card. Asking how to get a new PR booklet would have been metter, IMHO. If not, use a thai driving license; much better; no ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mook23 said:

No.passport?

A passport is not required if you have permanent residency unless you want to travel.

21 minutes ago, thedemon said:

It sounds to me like you are actually a Thai citizen.

It think he only has PR as he stated.

When he got PR it was much easier to get and I think back then there may of been a ID card he could of gotten.

I have PR and I think one of the requirements when you get PR is to get put on a blue tabien baan. So I think all PR holders are on a blue tabien baan. The ID number on my pink ID card starts with an "8", which is "for foreigners who legally come to Thailand and are allowed to stay permanently and foreigners who get Thai Nationality" Since yours starts with a "3", it appears you are classed as " Thai (allow foreigners too) who have name in tabien baan born before 31 May 2527  (1984)"

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies and advice. Especially thaiowl for his very useful information.  It does appear that I should have accepted the blue thai ID card. I think I might go back to the Amphur and try and get it. I was naturally wary, because for a substantial sum, I know it is possible to get a blue ID card.  I thought that I'd be questioned  how I got it. i.e.  but since my name was in the tambien baan born before 31 May 1984. It should be OK

1 hour ago, thaiowl said:

I have PR and I think one of the requirements when you get PR is to get put on a blue tabien baan. So I think all PR holders are on a blue tabien baan. The ID number on my pink ID card starts with an "8", which is "for foreigners who legally come to Thailand and are allowed to stay permanently and foreigners who get Thai Nationality" Since yours starts with a "3", it appears you are classed as " Thai (allow foreigners too) who have name in tabien baan born before 31 May 2527  (1984)"

1 hour ago, thaiowl said:

thanks for your advice. Yes, I did have my name in the tambien baan and born before 31 May 1984. So shopuld I point this out and go back and try to get a blue card instead of the pink one.

9 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Very interesting story.  Not the part about getting a pink ID card as those are a dime a dozen and any one on a long term visa can get one.

What is interesting is that you refused a Thai ID.  Normally a Thai ID is not available to PRs only citizens.

Why do you think getting a Thai ID would have been a problem?  If it was me I would have gone for that option as it is more flexible.

For your information all PR are aware of the Blue Tabien Baan. It is mandatory that you get one, once you have received your PR.

Finally you mention that you used to have a Thai ID card.   Why was that a big mistake?

The big mistake was probably not accepting a Thai ID card now.  I would go back and get one while you can.

I think you misread my post. I never actually had a Thai ID card but was told to go and pick up one about 35 years ago. My mistake was that I didn't do so. If I remember rightly it was because I thought that I might have to give up my UK citizenship.

6 hours ago, Rv Hawee said:

The pink ID is not an ID card; be careful ! This is written in the back of it. It's usually handled to Burmese, laotian and Cambodgians. (I don't think they change them)

And it's also stated that the holder  must stay into the district noted on the card. Asking how to get a new PR booklet would have been metter, IMHO. If not, use a thai driving license; much better; no ?

I have lifetime Thai driving licence which has my PR number on it. It is very useful.  But the banks will not accept it so I use my blue Tambien baan

• Like 1

Apart from when they registered at the police station have any of the PR's been asked for their Blue Tabien Baan?

Is it actually their's or their landlords where they are renting from? If the latter, not sure how often they would carry it anyway.

I know PR's who were refused the Blue one and stuck on the yellow book with zero issues at all over the years since it was granted, including BOI work permits granted against it.

Agree with the others though pink ID is not against PR, being in a yellow book is enough.

18 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

Apart from when they registered at the police station have any of the PR's been asked for their Blue Tabien Baan?

Is it actually their's or their landlords where they are renting from? If the latter, not sure how often they would carry it anyway.

I know PR's who were refused the Blue one and stuck on the yellow book with zero issues at all over the years since it was granted, including BOI work permits granted against it.

Agree with the others though pink ID is not against PR, being in a yellow book is enough.

You need your blue tabien baan to do a number of things, including getting a new Certificate of Residence when your initial one fills up.  The book itself belongs to the property owner.

...pardon me... what is PR?     I just got my yellow book and pink ID card yesterday... What a performance!!  Why have one comprehensive application form when you can have 12?! Would be impossible without a passport..  ...interesting questions like... what is the name of the hotel you were staying in before you met your wife... 10 years ago!  ..fortunately I knew.. 

Edited by Laza 45

53 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

...pardon me... what is PR?     I just got my yellow book and pink ID card yesterday... What a performance!!  Why have one comprehensive application form when you can have 12?! Would be impossible without a passport..  ...interesting questions like... what is the name of the hotel you were staying in before you met your wife... 10 years ago!  ..fortunately I knew.. 

PR = Permanent Resident or Permanent Residency. (not citizenship)

Obtained by foreigners who have contributed/worked/invested in Thailand for a number of years.

They don't have to obtain extensions or do 90 day reports and can be named in a Blue Tabian Baan amongst a few of their privileges.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Faz said:

PR = Permanent Resident or Permanent Residency. (not citizenship)

Obtained by foreigners who have contributed/worked/invested in Thailand for a number of years.

They don't have to obtain extensions or do 90 day reports and can be named in a Blue Tabian Baan amongst a few of their privileges.

Thank you..

6 hours ago, KamnanT said:

You need your blue tabien baan to do a number of things, including getting a new Certificate of Residence when your initial one fills up.  The book itself belongs to the property owner.

3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Thank you..

I lost my certificate of residency and think it might be a good idea to try and get a new one. Do you know where I can do this and do I have to take any other documents other than my blue tambien Baan and alien registration book

12 hours ago, gamini said:

I think you misread my post. I never actually had a Thai ID card but was told to go and pick up one about 35 years ago. My mistake was that I didn't do so. If I remember rightly it was because I thought that I might have to give up my UK citizenship.

For some reason I did bother to get my Thai ID card having been told that I was entitled to oner (big mistake).

12 hours ago, Bangel72 said:

You need to provide the Tabien Baan for any official dealings including opening bank accounts and drivers's license.

i was asked to provide the Blue Tabien Baan for my drivers license.  I need it every year to renew re-entry permit.  Otherwise when photocopied, the copy has no color and as far as Thais are concerned they can't tell the difference between yellow and blue as most are not aware of the numbering scheme.  So I can see how you could easily get by with just the yellow one.

6 hours ago, gamini said:

I lost my certificate of residency and think it might be a good idea to try and get a new one. Do you know where I can do this and do I have to take any other documents other than my blue tambien Baan and alien registration book

Immigration will re-issue a certificate of residency.  Go to the branch where you applied. Hopefully they still have the original book with your entry.  Bring as many documents as possible.  More than likely you are in the system, since you were offered a blue ID card so it should not be a problem. 

7 hours ago, gamini said:

The best place to go would be immigration in Bangkok at Chaeng Wattana. I think what you mentioned would be enough along with your passport.

Form to apply for re placement can be downloaded here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm20.pdf 

The fee for one is 1900 baht.

8 hours ago, gamini said:

You don't need a certificate of residence, which are only valid for 30 days anyway.

C of R's are only required as proof of address for some administration processes.

Obtaining a Tabian Baan is part of the process of integrating into the Thai administration system. Your details are entered into the Civilian Register for Census purposes and you are given an ID number (the number on your Tabian Baan).

Your Tabian Baan is therefore now your permanent C of R, (proof of registered address) but valid for as long as you remain at that address.

The ID card for foreigners can replace the requirement to show your passport as proof of ID within Thailand.

A Thai citizen only requires their Tabian Baan and ID card for any administration process at government offices (DLT, tax office) and banks.

By allowing foreigners to register on the Civilian database, obtain a TB and foreigners ID card, it is an attempt to allow foreigners to use the same systems and documents that Thais use tor proof of ID and registered address.

Unfortunately a lot of foreigners just don't get it and continue to complain they are useless.

I personally have found them to be invaluable, but then I'm prepared to adapt and become part of the Thai system.

Edited by Faz

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The best place to go would be immigration in Bangkok at Chaeng Wattana. I think what you mentioned would be enough along with your passport.

Form to apply for re placement can be downloaded here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm20.pdf 

The fee for one is 1900 baht.

Slightly off-topic, sorry!

My Certificate of Residence is now full and I am due for renewal of my 5 yesr extension in February next year.

Is the Form you referenced the same Form I have to submit and do I need to go to Chaeng Wattana or my local Police Station (where I usually get the 5 year extension)?

Patrick