Farewell Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:55 AM, kevozman1 said:

I think looking for another location to settle in isn't a bad idea at all. It isn't hard to leave Pattaya behind these days, and I was once a fan of the place.  However, you may be like me and be looking for a Thailand that isn't there anymore. I used to love long stays in BKK and Pattaya back in the day. The assault on the senses is still there, along with the food, climate and most other things I love about Thailand, but what always made Thailand for me in the cities was the people more than anything. Really did deserve the title LoS before-Smart phones and mass tourism had taken its toll.

I haven't even spent much time in Thailand in recent years, but it's a drug, I must come back. Maybe I will never get that feeling again and there isn't another SEA country that excites me enough. Might even try the sticks. Only spent a few days in Isaan in all my time there... Keep us updated OP. I like your posts as you come across as sincere most of the time. GL.

You sound as if you are on my wavelength :smile:.

I also think the Thailand that we loved has gone. When the time comes to leave for good the things I'll remember were from 20 to 10 years ago, not now. 10 years ago, i would not have even considered never coming back, but now, sadly, there is little to entice me any more.

If I were you, I wouldn't come back- better to remember it as it once was, when the sanuk was great. I find everywhere I go now I just miss the old days.

As for Pattaya night scene now, Most nights I never even bothered, and that would never have happened back in the day.

As for Chiang Mai night scene ( basically Loi Kroh Rd ) I walked along it last night. If they had a clue, they'd make it a Walking St like in Pattaya, and it would be a great place for an evening out. Loads of young backpacker types sitting in bars, so not just for old mongers. The few bars that there are, are much the same as Pattaya's, and there are more of them than I expected, but no more customers to be seen than in Pattaya's bar beers at present.

C M's problems are mainly the same as Pattaya's- roads are too narrow and way too many cars. I'm not holding my breath and expecting that to change, so it will remain far less a tourist destination than it could be, with a decent city plan.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:09 PM, champers said:

I hope you managed to acquire a new set of baggage..... at a reasonable price, of course.

Sadly I never did. I looked here, I looked there, I looked in every baggage place in town, but never found any baggage I liked the look of. Perhaps all the best baggage is on the internet now.

Hopefully i'll have more luck in the baggage stores of Chiang Mai. :biggrin:

I left Pattaya to stay in Chang Mai and booked a place and I'm leaving back to jomtien 1 week early.. God I can't take the boredom anymore even jomtien rocks when compared to Chang Mai

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You sound as if you are on my wavelength :smile:.

I also think the Thailand that we loved has gone. When the time comes to leave for good the things I'll remember were from 20 to 10 years ago, not now. 10 years ago, i would not have even considered never coming back, but now, sadly, there is little to entice me any more.

If I were you, I wouldn't come back- better to remember it as it once was, when the sanuk was great. I find everywhere I go now I just miss the old days.

As for Pattaya night scene now, Most nights I never even bothered, and that would never have happened back in the day.

As for Chiang Mai night scene ( basically Loi Kroh Rd ) I walked along it last night. If they had a clue, they'd make it a Walking St like in Pattaya, and it would be a great place for an evening out. Loads of young backpacker types sitting in bars, so not just for old mongers. The few bars that there are, are much the same as Pattaya's, and there are more of them than I expected, but no more customers to be seen than in Pattaya's bar beers at present.

C M's problems are mainly the same as Pattaya's- roads are too narrow and way too many cars. I'm not holding my breath and expecting that to change, so it will remain far less a tourist destination than it could be, with a decent city plan.

I wonder how much has really changed and how much is due to you aging. You can't really compare the psyche of a 20 year younger version of yourself to how you feel about everything now - a lot changes in 2 decades. Things that were fun 20 years ago become mundane or boring - especially the mongering side of it. It's a bit like marriage - 20 years will take the edge off it.:D 

I'm pretty sure if I had a crystal ball 11 years ago I would never have come here in the first place, but unfortunately I didn't, and you get used to the smell. I used to get my air off a surf beach in Australia. Here most of the air stinks by comparison and it's hard to decide if I should keep the windows open or closed - chose between stale air with no smell, or smelly air that isn't stale. A NYC resident may find it an improvement though... NYC could be a bit on the cold side, but then again Thailand is too hot. A person coming from a cold climate may enjoy it for a while, until they thaw out, but eventually it starts to wear one down. Outside the Middle East, Klong Thoey in Bangkok has the highest annual average temperature in Asia at 30.3°C. There's only 2 places on earth with higher annual averages (Saudi Arabia 30.7°C and Ethiopia 34.4°C).

Unless an expat or tourist is here for the p4p, what's the point of being here? When that excitement wears off after a time you could be dreaming of a past when life was a bit more fulfilling. 

I've travelled to many provinces of Thailand and I have be coming here for 26 years. I still prefer Pattaya to anywhere because I like drinking cheap beer in beer bars and other entertainment venues. Nothing makes me feel more happy than having a few coldies with a couple of mates and having the warm breeze blowing on you while people watching. Plenty of shopping for the misses and plenty of Thai and Farang food at reasonable prices for the 2 of us. Also plenty of new shopping malls about now. Where Central is on second road use to be all beer bars 15  years ago (anyone remember "Bunny Bar") and soi 7 and 8 was the places to go.

Then came New Plaza, Soi buakhao and soi LK.

All that's happened really is that most of the beer bars are now towards Soi Buakhao. The one thing that has changed the most is the smart phone, 15 years ago the girls were lucky to have a Nokia phone to make calls or send an sms. Today it's all Facebook or Line and they all have their heads stuck in their phone. They even use the selfie camera as a mirror to pick their pimples. Not so nice when you want to order some beer or food..............so so obsessed with the bloody phones! Still it beats sitting around somewhere in Nakhon Nowhere at a 7/11 at one of those hard cement tables drinking a Chang with some Thai blokes.

Ahhhh, Thailand I still love the place.

Edited by bmanly

6 hours ago, tropo said:

I wonder how much has really changed and how much is due to you aging. You can't really compare the psyche of a 20 year younger version of yourself to how you feel about everything now - a lot changes in 2 decades. Things that were fun 20 years ago become mundane or boring - especially the mongering side of it. It's a bit like marriage - 20 years will take the edge off it.:D 

I'm pretty sure if I had a crystal ball 11 years ago I would never have come here in the first place, but unfortunately I didn't, and you get used to the smell. I used to get my air off a surf beach in Australia. Here most of the air stinks by comparison and it's hard to decide if I should keep the windows open or closed - chose between stale air with no smell, or smelly air that isn't stale. A NYC resident may find it an improvement though... NYC could be a bit on the cold side, but then again Thailand is too hot. A person coming from a cold climate may enjoy it for a while, until they thaw out, but eventually it starts to wear one down. Outside the Middle East, Klong Thoey in Bangkok has the highest annual average temperature in Asia at 30.3°C. There's only 2 places on earth with higher annual averages (Saudi Arabia 30.7°C and Ethiopia 34.4°C).

Unless an expat or tourist is here for the p4p, what's the point of being here? When that excitement wears off after a time you could be dreaming of a past when life was a bit more fulfilling. 

Really? Speak for yourself.

I really enjoy the climate here and swapping it out for Denmark's deep freeze (during the winters) is not tempting, not at all man. As a matter of fact, living in a tropical climate is perfect for me, been here for over 15 years now. I think the longer I stay, the harder it will become to "fit in" back home.

If I could afford it, I would love to share my time between a southern EU country and Thailand during the winter. I will not rule out that I will do that when I retire in some 10 years time.

I also still love Pattaya, something is always going on here, the city is ever developing, most for the better, some for the worse. 

I can echo the posters saying that living out somewhere in deep Isaan must be boring as hell man, I would go nuts after a week. We went once to my wife's small farm up there and after 3 nights, I told my wife; tomorrow I am driving back to fun town, you can stay here if you want and take the bus later on, but I am a goner. She went with me, he-he.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

Quote edited for brevity.

Hmmmm. I think my desire to associate with pretty bar girls that pretend to be interested in me is still the same as 20 years ago. Sure, even back then I had to look around to find the gold among the dross, but now I couldn't find any gold that was available. The few that I sighted were already taken by quicker men than I.

Perhaps if I was drunk enough.......................... but I wasn't.

The other thing that put me off was that the majority have their heads in their phones and don't even try to entice customers in. I don't remember any "hansum man" calls at all. Also, they seem harder and more mercenary than I remember.

The bar staff that did noticeably try, were ladyboys, so kudos to them.

I don't think one has to be in Pattaya only for p4p. There is more to do in Pattaya than most Thai towns, even if one never goes near a bar or gogo. I'd certainly rather retire to Pattaya than Nakhon Nowhere. The transport is certainly superior to anywhere other than Bkk.

Up in C M I have noticed there are a lot less restaurants in the tourist area, and they are way more expensive than Pattaya. No difference in traffic though. Really bad in both towns.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I really enjoy the climate here and swapping it out for Denmark's deep freeze (during the winters) is not tempting, not at all man. As a matter of fact, living in a tropical climate is perfect for me, been here for over 15 years now. I think the longer I stay, the harder it will become to "fit in" back home.

If I could afford it, I would love to share my time between a southern EU country and Thailand during the winter. I will not rule out that I will do that when I retire in some 10 years time.

I also still love Pattaya, something is always going on here, the city is ever developing, most for the better, some for the worse. 

I can echo the posters saying that living out somewhere in deep Isaan must be boring as hell man, I would go nuts after a week. We went once to my wife's small farm up there and after 3 nights, I told my wife; tomorrow I am driving back to fun town, you can stay here if you want and take the bus later on, but I am a goner. She went with me, he-he.

I think to live in the village one must have a suitable hobby. I was renovating the house and was going to start gardening. I did have the internet, and I probably could have got satellite tv had I stayed. It wasn't the boredom that drove me away, but the misbehaving nephews that made my life miserable.

I also think one needs to take breaks in civilization as well.

13 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

(my apologies > it seems I've posted in the wrong thread)

LOL> Speak for myself.

I should speak for myself, but you speak for everyone? I thought on a forum such as this everyone speaks their personal opinions, which do vary.

I don't come from a "deep freeze". Commiserations on that! I come from a country where you can dial your climate from temperate down south to full tropical up north. You can even have snow and tropical climates at the same time of year > imagine that. You ski one day and the next you could sip cocktails on a tropical beach while never leaving the country.

There are ideal climates, in between "deep freeze" and tropical. You know the extremes, but the in between climates are healthier and more pleasant.

Edited by tropo

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Quote edited for brevity.

Hmmmm. I think my desire to associate with pretty bar girls that pretend to be interested in me is still the same as 20 years ago. Sure, even back then I had to look around to find the gold among the dross, but now I couldn't find any gold that was available. The few that I sighted were already taken by quicker men than I.

Perhaps if I was drunk enough.......................... but I wasn't.

The other thing that put me off was that the majority have their heads in their phones and don't even try to entice customers in. I don't remember any "hansum man" calls at all. Also, they seem harder and more mercenary than I remember.

The bar staff that did noticeably try, were ladyboys, so kudos to them.

I don't think one has to be in Pattaya only for p4p. There is more to do in Pattaya than most Thai towns, even if one never goes near a bar or gogo. I'd certainly rather retire to Pattaya than Nakhon Nowhere. The transport is certainly superior to anywhere other than Bkk.

Up in C M I have noticed there are a lot less restaurants in the tourist area, and they are way more expensive than Pattaya. No difference in traffic though. Really bad in both towns.

It's hard to believe your attitude and vigor hasn't changed at all over 2 decades. That sounds like denial... or some may call it positive thinking LOL>trying to hold onto their youth. It's not a bad thing to mature and change one's outlook as one ages. You also start to realise things you didn't know when you first got off the plane 20 years ago.

I see newbies now enjoying the scene as much as us oldies did back 20 years ago, despite the price hikes and attitude "adjustments". 

I do agree that the attitude of the cute young dancing ladies has changed a lot over the years. Cell phones have changed the way everyone behaves... but that started in the mid to late 90's. Young ladies were using cellphones way back then and customers were buying them. Surely you can remember the Nokia 3210 and 3310. Every man and his dog had one. I bought a few for them too.:D

Do you live in Thailand full time? I haven't kept up but I seem to remember you saying it's a part time hobby.

14 hours ago, tropo said:

It's hard to believe your attitude and vigor hasn't changed at all over 2 decades. That sounds like denial... or some may call it positive thinking LOL>trying to hold onto their youth. It's not a bad thing to mature and change one's outlook as one ages. You also start to realise things you didn't know when you first got off the plane 20 years ago.

I see newbies now enjoying the scene as much as us oldies did back 20 years ago, despite the price hikes and attitude "adjustments". 

I do agree that the attitude of the cute young dancing ladies has changed a lot over the years. Cell phones have changed the way everyone behaves... but that started in the mid to late 90's. Young ladies were using cellphones way back then and customers were buying them. Surely you can remember the Nokia 3210 and 3310. Every man and his dog had one. I bought a few for them too.:D

Do you live in Thailand full time? I haven't kept up but I seem to remember you saying it's a part time hobby.

I always hoped to live full time in Thailand, but the increasingly difficult bureaucracy re staying, the increasing cost of living, and the appalling traffic situation are large factors in deciding not to do so. Other things as well, but no need to go into everything.

I have now moved north to Chiang Mai, and I bid Pattaya a happy and prosperous future with a monging good high season. Just keep the dreaded families and backpackers away.
And, don't forget to look out for falling coconuts on the Beach Rd promenade.

I just joined you mate. Very quite up here, I might regret it but looking forward to the "cool" season. I am only here for 1 year anyway before returning back to the south. Maybe see you around.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 4/11/2559 at 3:20 PM, mcfish said:

I left Pattaya to stay in Chang Mai and booked a place and I'm leaving back to jomtien 1 week early.. God I can't take the boredom anymore even jomtien rocks when compared to Chang Mai

You mean The Doi and all the wats weren't enough for you...hard to believe  :w00t:

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Well it's Sunday I'm getting pumped to go to the night markets... Again.. and then down to omallys Irish pub, the only air con bar within 300 square miles and sit at the empty bar for a while and then fly out tomorrow.. Yeeeh haaa

I just joined you mate. Very quite up here, I might regret it but looking forward to the "cool" season. I am only here for 1 year anyway before returning back to the south. Maybe see you around.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yah the cool season's great. The 3-5 months after when the temperature rises up well above 30, and into the 40s even for a couple of months or so, not so good. I found three smog and the haze less of a problem than the oppressive clammy heat. That and the air-con battling to get the air temp in the house to drop below 30. I'm told it's not normally that bad and that 2016 was a particularly hot year. Won't be checking it out for 2017 though, for far more reasons than the weather :)

Sent using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always hoped to live full time in Thailand, but the increasingly difficult bureaucracy re staying, the increasing cost of living, and the appalling traffic situation are large factors in deciding not to do so. Other things as well, but no need to go into everything.

I envy you keeping one foot in the door at home. Although it wasn't your original intention, it has worked out for the best as you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

21 hours ago, mcfish said:

Lol more like Wats the f***k to do around here!

LOL. I wandered down to the night market and ordered a big English breakfast in one of the few places that had a/ AC and b/ western food, only to be told that it would take 20 minutes ( or so ).  A disappointment that was sadly not the last of my night's excursions.

The night market itself is like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie ( devoid of life ), and there were more stall holders than shoppers, despite seemingly half the stalls being closed.

I also stopped by the small ( by Pattaya standards ), and only, bar beer complex, which is enough to make a Pattaya lover cry in desperation, given that there were only about 5 or less ladies in each of the bars that were actually open. In some a solitary girl sat behind the bar in a forlorn hope that someone would stop in for a bevvie.

Speaking of desperation, the most desperate of the desperate must surely be the poor souls that work in one of the many, many massage places that line Loi Kroh. With the exception of the one that must be where all the Chinese tours go, most seemed devoid of customers, though some were lucky to have a few.

However, all is not lost. Bus loads of Chinese tourists were checking in to one of the 5* hotels I was passing by.

So, wat's to do around here? They do have loads of tours if that floats your boat. The big malls are as good as any in Pattaya and the hiso totty is great.

Seemingly a temple on every corner if one likes that sort of thing.

Probably thousands of cheap to middling hotels and guest houses, and plenty of restaurants ( as long as you aren't in the habit of eating after midnight ( actually I don't think there is much of anything open after midnight ).

I do hope that there is actually going to be a high season in C M, or it's going to be really hard to survive up here.

5555. Well. What did I say?

Best places I find for any kind of lively scene (but it's Thai style) is not far from Nimman with Maldives, Infinity and Ta Wandeng. There's also Oxide and T Bar over at Chang Phuak. There's a lively club called Mandalay over near LK too.

I avoid LK like the plague. If I have no choice as a result of showing people around I go to Dragon Fly bar next to Flight 52.

The Hangout Bar at Hangdong is a bit more western in style but quite a way out from town.

You did miss out the cafe scene though. CM is famous for its café scene ;) Yawn.

You can also while away the time by trying to get somewhere that's 100 yards from you as the crow flies but find yourself having to drive round the traffic 'system' that is the moat!!

Sent using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, wat's to do around here? They do have loads of tours if that floats your boat. The big malls are as good as any in Pattaya and the hiso totty is great.

Seemingly a temple on every corner if one likes that sort of thing.

Probably thousands of cheap to middling hotels and guest houses, and plenty of restaurants ( as long as you aren't in the habit of eating after midnight ( actually I don't think there is much of anything open after midnight ).

I do hope that there is actually going to be a high season in C M, or it's going to be really hard to survive up here.

My experience is the same as yours , I am not much in the city after midnight anyway so not a big problem for me.

If you love coffee and temples , yes you will find a coffee shop and wat on every every corner.

I still try to find decent western food here , not easy and if you find a place it's overpriced compared to Pattaya.  

I make my own food at home so I don't care really , just saving money . Plenty of good, cheap asian food here. 

I know that the Irish bar and restaurant close at 1 AM , and they show all the PL football matches .  Expensive beer . 

On 11/4/2016 at 2:45 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I also think the Thailand that we loved has gone. When the time comes to leave for good the things I'll remember were from 20 to 10 years ago, not now.

the Thailand i loved in the 70s has gone. same, same but different the 80s, the 90s have gone. but now i enjoy the improvements which i experience as a full time resident since 2004.

chok dee! :thumbsup:

24 minutes ago, Naam said:

the Thailand i loved in the 70s has gone. same, same but different the 80s, the 90s have gone. but now i enjoy the improvements which i experience as a full time resident since 2004.

chok dee! :thumbsup:

Good for you, but I don't find much to enjoy about the "new" Thailand.

The beaches that attracted me have been concreted over and the cheap places I stayed in have mostly been replaced by expensive resorts.

The night scene is nowhere near as enjoyable as in the 90s, and I can avoid it without feeling that I'm missing out on something.

Had I not been married to a Thai woman I think I would have moved on long ago.

I'm happy for those that find LOS enjoyable and worth putting up with the traffic and the bureaucracy for, but my love affair with LOS died 3 years ago and my reason to stay ceased to exist 3 months ago.

I always believed that places were supposed to get better as the years passed by, even if it was just better roads and facilities, but Pattaya ( the only place I'd like to live in by myself ) has not got better at all. To the contrary, the infrastructure has either stayed the same ( same broken footpaths as 20 years ago ) or got worse ( the beach promenade ), while the traffic has become impossible and the bureaucracy to stay has become steadily more irksome.

eg, when I first discovered LOS ( the people really did smile back then )the traffic was half or less than now, few cars and more m'bikes; I could stay as long as I liked on back to back 90 day visa exempt entry at any border ( and people could stay indefinitely on back to back border runs or tourist visas ); the sanuk was the best I ever found and the nightlife was legendary.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The beaches that attracted me have been concreted over and the cheap places I stayed in have mostly been replaced by expensive resorts.

The night scene is nowhere near as enjoyable as in the 90s, and I can avoid it without feeling that I'm missing out on something.

/snip/

When you said Farewell week ago it felt this an end of an era for Pattaya, now that you are gone. 

But it seems this is turning into a very long good bye, and for clarity it would make sense to start a new thread, maybe  'Why I Said Farewell To Pattaya', or  a thoughtful 'Pattaya Isn't What It Was 20 Years Ago' .

4 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

But it seems this is turning into a very long good bye

Indeed so. When's the flight? Maybe our other UK members can recommend good UK-only discussion forums for whinging? But the UK does have so many opportunities for making formal complaints. Good list here: http://www.clik2complaints.co.uk/clik2links.html

13 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

When you said Farewell week ago it felt this an end of an era for Pattaya, now that you are gone. 

But it seems this is turning into a very long good bye, and for clarity it would make sense to start a new thread, maybe  'Why I Said Farewell To Pattaya', or  a thoughtful 'Pattaya Isn't What It Was 20 Years Ago' .

Hmmmmm. I loved Pattaya as much as it would be possible to love a place. It's hard to say goodbye.

Gone does not mean that I have forgotten Pattaya, and I will, no doubt, be on here again in the future.

However, I feel for you, so please feel free not to come on this thread anymore- just pass on by to something much more interesting and important.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm. I loved Pattaya as much as it would be possible to love a place. It's hard to say goodbye.

Gone does not mean that I have forgotten Pattaya, and I will, no doubt, be on here again in the future.

However, I feel for you, so please feel free not to come on this thread anymore- just pass on by to something much more interesting and important.

Sounds like you are still in love with the ex-wife. Aint no bad thing. Happens to many.

26 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sounds like you are still in love with the ex-wife. Aint no bad thing. Happens to many.

But best thing to do is just to move on then and forget all about the ex. Find happiness with a new love, say, Manchester or Birmingham.