Army launches cyber unit tackling distorted information

webfact

9 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

What  a load of bullcrap. They don't have the brains to solve simple balcony deaths and now they want to match it with the worlds smartest. Dream on Khun Baa

To me it sounds like you know a lot of the system regarding what is solved or not can be solved. Just wonder where you got that information. Creating an organisation that controls and read the spreading of information on Internet does not have the be matched with the worlds smartest. It just needs a lot of people that can work together. For all other stuff there is already software to be bought.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, mki8 said:

because it has nothing to do with actual cyber security, its about restricting freedom of speech, which does not exist here

Freedom of speech is unfortunately a word that is used in the wrong way by many people today, and does definitely not mean what it meant when it was created. Today everyone think it´s okey to write or post whatever they want, beacause it´s so simple on Internet. If you express your opinion in a well behaved manor and really have something of substance that is creative to say, there is not any problem in Thailand either. Unfortunately most of all comments on for example Facebook, or in the real world are negative and rude. That makes the system have to go in and supress this harder than neccessary.

You'd be hard pressed to believe anything DPM Pawtwit say's, the guy couldn't lie straight in bed, however as the Junta settles in they will make it and use  the technology available , the Junta's of old would be envious of what this present mob of spiffs can achieve , through technology they can intrude into all aspects of daily life for everyone and you would never know it, not only dangerous people, but evil as well..............................................................:coffee1:

55 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Head does include certain distortions when it suits, and certain economics with the truth. All in the phrases used and how things are emphasized, minimized or left out to point the reader in the direction he wants. But isn't that what most if not all journalists do? And now via social media we have all sorts of "personalities" as well as Joe Public doing it. I remember when at grammar school teachers constantly telling us not to believe everything we read in papers or heard on the telly.

Blatant lies, very big ones were told during the Brexit campaign, and now we have all sorts coming out of Sturgeons lips. Donald and Hilary (sound like 60's swingers) wouldn't know the truth if it bit them! And Putin and Xoa wouldn't even know the concept.

So yes, the world could do with a clean up, especially of politicians, journalists with agendas, and mega media owners pushing their own propaganda.

But who is going to do it and decide what is distorted and what isn't?  Don't think that's really possible.

Your last para hit the nail on the head, so no need for all the preceeding stuff trying to water it down. Leave it to people's intelligence to weed out the BS. You know as well as I do that "Misinformation" in this case is anything that goes against the junta's line. Same as is happening now, a lot of people are going to be jailed for having an opinion.

Edited by jesimps

24 minutes ago, mki8 said:

so basically they have set up a building with 200 employees, searching facebook for posts they dont like

This is army so they'll get a load of funds and pay their military men extra salary to do this. The generals in the government are getting two salaries, aren't they? Whatever the case, toss the money at some new project and someone benefits from it. It may turn out to be 5-10 million baht for one cyber free speech violator to be caught but who cares it's free money. By the way, I thought all the other cyber gates and trackers and stuff was working. How much did all that cost? I know who cares it's free money! throwing+money+in+the+air.jpg

Edited by Alive

Correcting misinformation used to be called propaganda.

Originally this word derived from an administrative body of the Catholic Church created in 1622, called the Congregation for Propagating the Faith, or simply Propaganda. This army cyber centre sounds much the same.

Edited by ironbark

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Freedom of speech is unfortunately a word that is used in the wrong way by many people today, and does definitely not mean what it meant when it was created. Today everyone think it´s okey to write or post whatever they want, beacause it´s so simple on Internet. If you express your opinion in a well behaved manor and really have something of substance that is creative to say, there is not any problem in Thailand either. Unfortunately most of all comments on for example Facebook, or in the real world are negative and rude. That makes the system have to go in and supress this harder than neccessary.

Actually sometimes the rude speech online tends to come out when people aren't allow to speak the truth openly. If you have to live in lies, the Internet gives you a place to speak your understanding of reality. I would say Thailand needs to change some of its laws and let people say what they really feel. Sorry what's your rank?

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Thank goodness the army is beyond reproach, a pillar of truth and wisdom.  Think most of their aim will be watching what goes on inside of Thailand. 

i suspect this is part of the effort to monitor what is being said by thais overseas as well. they seem to be more vocal about a certain establishment once residing overseas.  several countries have been requested to send some thais residing overseas back to thailand to answer for what they have been posting on facebook. this is just another step in the big brother approach of the current government.

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

Actually sometimes the rude speech online tends to come out when people aren't allow to speak the truth openly. If you have to live in lies, the Internet gives you a place to speak your understanding of reality. I would say Thailand needs to change some of its laws and let people say what they really feel. Sorry what's your rank?

You don´t have to live in lies??? Isn´t it like this. If you go to the pub and tell somebody that they are, for example, to stupid and not can lay straight in bed. What happens? You probably will get the beating of your life, but that had nothing to do with freedom of speech. It was just you that didn´t know when it´s time to be quiet.

My rank is just 16 years in Thailand with absolutely no problem. What´s your excuse? LOL

2 hours ago, bsdthai said:

So..... I guess the "truth" will be a secondary concern in some instances.

The truth is illegal in Thailand.

35 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I don´t understand why everybody is so unhappy with this, and that there are so many negative comment about all things that are happening in Thailand. This is nothing new in the rest of the world, and most of the people complaining here comes from a country that already have a since long developed system for cyber crimes and treats to the nation. Just don´t understand. When things not happen there is complains from everone here on TV, and when something happens htere are the same complaints. Be happy that they are trying to develop a country that since long has been after in every aspect of security and enforcement of laws. Maby there is only afraid people with something to hide or an evil agenda that have negative comments. What do I know? However, Inetnet is a wide network and it must be controlled in some way because there are many people that doesn´t understand what they really can say or not can say. If everyone used common sense and realized that if you are here and live by the rules, you just have nothing to hide. As simple as that instead of just complaining over everything. Negative remarks never solved anything. That´s just for people that think of Thailand as a country that should by like for 20 years ago today. Simple fact! It´s just not going to happen.

Awww... How cute. I almost remember when i was this naive...

3 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i suspect this is part of the effort to monitor what is being said by thais overseas as well. they seem to be more vocal about a certain establishment once residing overseas.  several countries have been requested to send some thais residing overseas back to thailand to answer for what they have been posting on facebook. this is just another step in the big brother approach of the current government.

Yes, in my experience, the availability of factual information allows those thais living overseas to see the sociopolitical apparatus for what it really is. Speaking with Thais I know who have lived in Australia for extended periods, it becomes apparent that almost all of them are well aware that the truth is very different from the official narrative. 

44 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I don´t understand why everybody is so unhappy with this, and that there are so many negative comment about all things that are happening in Thailand. This is nothing new in the rest of the world, and most of the people complaining here comes from a country that already have a since long developed system for cyber crimes and treats to the nation. Just don´t understand. When things not happen there is complains from everone here on TV, and when something happens htere are the same complaints. Be happy that they are trying to develop a country that since long has been after in every aspect of security and enforcement of laws. Maby there is only afraid people with something to hide or an evil agenda that have negative comments. What do I know? However, Inetnet is a wide network and it must be controlled in some way because there are many people that doesn´t understand what they really can say or not can say. If everyone used common sense and realized that if you are here and live by the rules, you just have nothing to hide. As simple as that instead of just complaining over everything. Negative remarks never solved anything. That´s just for people that think of Thailand as a country that should by like for 20 years ago today. Simple fact! It´s just not going to happen.

"most of the people complaining here comes from a country that already have a since long developed system for cyber crimes and treats to the nation."

I'm all agog! What kind of treats am I missing - Santa Claus perhaps?

46 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Are you  for real?  This has to be a troll post, no one is this naïve , surely.  Either that or the junta is paying people to write defenseless gibberish on TV.

Just now, sambum said:

"most of the people complaining here comes from a country that already have a since long developed system for cyber crimes and treats to the nation."

I'm all agog! What kind of treats am I missing - Santa Claus perhaps?

You are free to believe in what you want, but I did not refer to Santa Claus

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You are free to believe in what you want, but I did not refer to Santa Claus

But you mentioned "treats to the nation" - I merely asked what type of treats I am missing, and due to the upcoming Festive Period, I thought it was a fair assumption!

Edited by sambum

Just now, jamesbrock said:

Awww... How cute. I almost remember when i was this naive...

Yep and still no problem for 16 years in Thailand, maby it´s good to be naive insted of just complaining and talk about things that you actually have no clue about how it´s going to work,
because that information is not available to the puplic.

Just now, sambum said:

But you mentioned "treats" - I merely asked what type of treats I am missing, and due to the impending Festive Period, I thought it was a fair assumption!

I just re-wrote the information in the article, where they talk about " center was established to maintain cyber security and prevent cyber threats " and 
" misinformation by enemies of the state for the purpose sowing social unrest and damaging national security "

I see damaging national security as a threat. Who do you understand it?

20 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You don´t have to live in lies??? Isn´t it like this. If you go to the pub and tell somebody that they are, for example, to stupid and not can lay straight in bed. What happens? You probably will get the beating of your life, but that had nothing to do with freedom of speech. It was just you that didn´t know when it´s time to be quiet.

My rank is just 16 years in Thailand with absolutely no problem. What´s your excuse? LOL

I think you like the thug-life model which is beating people in the streets who have different opinions. And of course if the police get there beforehand the person who speaks the truth gets jailed for years.

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I just re-wrote the information in the article, where they talk about " center was established to maintain cyber security and prevent cyber threats " and 
" misinformation by enemies of the state for the purpose sowing social unrest and damaging national security "

I see damaging national security as a threat. Who do you understand it?

Oh, for goodness sake - lighten up! You said "treats" - the article said "threats" I was merely trying to inject some seasonal humour into your misspelling!

4 minutes ago, Alive said:

I think you like the thug-life model which is beating people in the streets who have different opinions. And of course if the police get there beforehand the person who speaks the truth gets jailed for years.

Not really my style, but it was just meant to be a comparision that is easier for some to understand.