Request info for APEC travel card

Beginning of next year I would frequent Rayong a lot. I don't see myself staying more than 8 weeks each visit but it will be like return home for 5 days and enter Thailand again for another 7 weeks.

I have a few options to do that...

1) METV

2) APEC

3) Non O (I have a Thai daughter)

I don't think Singapore embassy will grant me a METV back to back... My baby is only 8 months old so DNA test and lawyer/court fee will set me back about 35k with 400k stuck in the bank for a Non O.

APEC seem to be the best choice for me. I don't not have physical work to do but will be having a lot of meeting with the O&G people in Rayong.

APEC could give me 60 or 90 days stay each time but how long will they allow me to alternate 7 weeks in thai and 1 week singapore thingy?

I genuinely travel to Rayong for business, all I do is meetings and report back to SG HQ. We have no branch in Thailand and I'm not having an office... maybe just rent an apartment to stay.

APEC will take 6-9 months to approve so I will stay with a METV first.  

If you can get the APEC card that would be a good choice. You will get a 90 day entry every time you enter the country. I can see no problem for the period of time you expect to be here and in Singapore.

You can get a non-o visa without legalizing your parent hood. Penang will issue a multiple with just your child's birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry and proof of 400k baht in a bank (does not need to be a Thai bank) or proof of income. You also might be able to get one in Singapore.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you can get the APEC card that would be a good choice. You will get a 90 day entry every time you enter the country. I can see no problem for the period of time you expect to be here and in Singapore.

You can get a non-o visa without legalizing your parent hood. Penang will issue a multiple with just your child's birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry and proof of 400k baht in a bank (does not need to be a Thai bank) or proof of income. You also might be able to get one in Singapore.

Holy molly... my heart skipped a beat.

ubonjoe, please be patience with me... I have few questions for this...

1) Will the non-o issued by Penang be the regular 1 year visa?

2) So I just bring my child's BC, house blue book and my singapore bank statement and apply in penang?

3) Must the BC be original or photocopy will suffice?

4) My name is not in the blue book(obviously), is it ok with just my baby name in it? 

5) My singapore bank statement can be online printed or must it be stamp and sign by the bank?

Thank you so much joe... the feeling is like striking gold... 555

26 minutes ago, Austin Chng said:

Holy molly... my heart skipped a beat.

ubonjoe, please be patience with me... I have few questions for this...

1) Will the non-o issued by Penang be the regular 1 year visa?

2) So I just bring my child's BC, house blue book and my singapore bank statement and apply in penang?

3) Must the BC be original or photocopy will suffice?

4) My name is not in the blue book(obviously), is it ok with just my baby name in it? 

5) My singapore bank statement can be online printed or must it be stamp and sign by the bank?

Thank you so much joe... the feeling is like striking gold... 555

1. The visa will allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

2. Yes

3. Original in case they ask for it and a copy.

4. It will be copies page 1 of the blue book and the page where you child's name is shown.

5. The print out should be enough.

Thank you so much. You just save me 35k and 400k currency conversion fee to my thai bank account.

I will do the non-o and apply for APEC concurrently. 

Any chance you will be around pattaya or rayong please allow me to buy you a beer.

BKK can be arrange too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have something additional to report.

I flew from SG to Utapao last Sunday (13th Nov) with my colleague with APEC card. As we know Utapao did not have an APEC lane in the immigration counter,  he queued on the regular counter and provided his APEC together with his passport. The card was simply pushed aside and regular 30 days visa exemption stamp was given. 

When he flew to BKK and goes through the APEC lane, automatically 90 days was given (we did it on 7th Nov, Monday). 

Are we suppose to say that APEC card is only useful for airport with APEC lane, as what I know, only BKK has it. 

27 minutes ago, timberpond said:

Are we suppose to say that APEC card is only useful for airport with APEC lane, as what I know, only BKK has it. 

The APEC card can be used at any entry point. Some immigration officers may not be familiar with them. If a problem is encountered on entry a supervisor should be requested to get things sorted out.

If your colleague  needs to stay longer than 30 days he could go to a immigration office to get the error corrected.

The ABTC (APEC card) can be used at any entry point to Thailand including land borders.

Likely that the IO wasn't familiar with ABTC's. I don't use the card for entering Thailand but have friends that do and they have told me they sometimes encounter an IO (even at Suvarnabhumi) that doesn't know how to process their entry.

It is worth noting that entering Thailand using the card doesn't just give 90 days instead of 30. It also entitles the holder to carry out certain forms of work during their visit which, at least in theory, a standard 30 day waiver doesn't.  So there is a valid reason for insisting on 90 days even if you don't need that long.

• Like 1

Hi

i have had APEC card for many years, I am from New Zealand. First you need to be a citizen of a member country. Second you have to do regular business with another member or members. 

When applying you have to show proof of business. Overseas like Comercial Invoices and flight tickets to member countries. 

There are 22+ Pacific rim members. You do not need to apply for visa to any of the countries. 

The care last's for 3 yrs. it takes around 2 months to get renewal cards as you have to wait for the member countries to ok you.

we have an import company and we import from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and few odd things from Vietnam.  Thailand is one of the hardest countries to import from, they want so many tax's and the suppliers do not understand an FOB price (freight on board) needs to be competitive. I have had so many stupid excessive price quotes and never been able to do business with suppliers here.  I tried getting competitive prices for pineapples but their quotes are 2-3 times higher than you can buy in a store. 

The ABTC is no longer issued for a straight 3 years. The card now has a validity of up to either 5 years or the expiry date of the card holders current passport, whichever comes first. If the holders passport is replaced within 5 years a new card must be issued which will then be valid for the remainder of the 5 year period.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, timberpond said:

I'm applying for the non-o soon in penang... The house book address is CM but I'll be staying in rayong.

Will that be a problem? Must I do the reporting for the 90 days stay in rayong?

If you get a multiple entry non-o visa there will be no reporting to immigration. You have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry.

The address on the house book will make no difference when apply for the non-o visa.

Thank you ubonjoe!

Btw another update for APEC issues. 

Nov 27th my colleague and I flew in to Utapao again. He again presented his APEC card and request for a 90 days stamp. 

He was told by the officer that no 90 days will be issued for him and he should go to immigration and pay 1900 baht for an extension.

I already applied for my APEC card and it should be approved in 3 months time. Now I don't know if its any good for Utapao airport.

10 minutes ago, timberpond said:

He didn't even bother to question about the purpose of visit. IMO either he really don't know what a APEC card is or he is too lazy to turn the dials on the stamp.

He probably did not know that a APEC card allows a 90 entry.

He should of asked for a supervisor to get it sorted out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had applied for a SETV and suppose to leave on 2th Apr but something emergency came up and I had to leave Thailand via Sadao border into Malaysia last Saturday. I had also obtained my APEC card last week.

Yesterday I entered Thailand via Sadao border again and queued on the regular immigration lane and presented my APEC card. I told the officer that I have an APEC and please give me 90 days. He looked puzzled at first but he went thru some files and typed on the computer reading some instruction. After about 3 mins his face brighten with the ''Ahhhaa" look and told me to tick business and write APEC number on the white immigration card. I was given a regular stamp with written date of 17/6/2017 (90days). 

So it is true as what ubonjoe and thedemon said, APEC card can be use even on land border crossing. Seem that Utapao airport officer didn't bother to check what's a APEC card. I'm lucky yesterday to meet a responsible officer. 

26 minutes ago, timberpond said:

I had applied for a SETV and suppose to leave on 2th Apr but something emergency came up and I had to leave Thailand via Sadao border into Malaysia last Saturday. I had also obtained my APEC card last week.

Yesterday I entered Thailand via Sadao border again and queued on the regular immigration lane and presented my APEC card. I told the officer that I have an APEC and please give me 90 days. He looked puzzled at first but he went thru some files and typed on the computer reading some instruction. After about 3 mins his face brighten with the ''Ahhhaa" look and told me to tick business and write APEC number on the white immigration card. I was given a regular stamp with written date of 17/6/2017 (90days). 

So it is true as what ubonjoe and thedemon said, APEC card can be use even on land border crossing. Seem that Utapao airport officer didn't bother to check what's a APEC card. I'm lucky yesterday to meet a responsible officer. 

I am astonished to read what you say because I have had three cards over the years with the first one being about 2004 and then hardly any immigration officers (other than the very senior ones) knew what it was all about. But today there is no excuse for them to not be up to speed regarding the entitlements.

6 minutes ago, timberpond said:

Actually I was thinking that even if Sadao denied me 90 days but allowed me to enter for 15 days, I will go to Rayong immigration office to request for 90 days. 

The 15 day visa exempt entries no longer exist only 30 day entries are given since the first of the year when the rule limiting land border crossings to 2 per calendar year went into effect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry, quick question regarding APEC

im a NZ passport holder who can easily get an APEC card.....which is about $150NZD for card, once I've received the card, to enter into Thailand do I still need to apply for a non imm through a consulate or embassy?

thanks

1 minute ago, mrastoney said:

Sorry, quick question regarding APEC

im a NZ passport holder who can easily get an APEC card.....which is about $150NZD for card, once I've received the card, to enter into Thailand do I still need to apply for a non imm through a consulate or embassy?

thanks

The card allows you a 90 day entry every time you arrive.

No need for a visa.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, mrastoney said:

SERIOUS!! So for just $150NZD I can enter in and out of Thailand, get 90days each time for 5 years......just on that card????

Yup, I just got my second 90 days stamp with no question asked at Bangkok Airport. Just remember to renew your passport before applying for the card because the expiry date will follow with your passport expiry.

Another thing is to time your travel well as the card took almost 4 months to arrive. 

Edited by timberpond

On 5/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, mrastoney said:

SERIOUS!! So for just $150NZD I can enter in and out of Thailand, get 90days each time for 5 years......just on that card????

Don't forget one of the other important benefits which is the fast tracking through immigration:thumbsup:

in any APEC country airport that you arrive at it should have a dedicated desk at immigration which means you are through in seconds while you see the long lines of travellers next to you. And if they don't have such a desk you will usually be allowed to use the aircrew desk.

On 5/10/2017 at 9:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can.

No quite,

The card is for legitimate business people, not for people who are looking for residency work arounds. NZ applicants are expected to show proof of business activities in the APEC region.

There was a massive clampdown many years back on people using these cards as an alternative to legitimate long stay visas. The NZ application form is here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://www.immigration.govt.nz/documents/forms-and-guides/apec.pdf

17 hours ago, kiwiaussie said:

No quite,

The card is for legitimate business people, not for people who are looking for residency work arounds. NZ applicants are expected to show proof of business activities in the APEC region.

There was a massive clampdown many years back on people using these cards as an alternative to legitimate long stay visas. The NZ application form is here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://www.immigration.govt.nz/documents/forms-and-guides/apec.pdf

If he could get the card, then joe is right to say - Yes you can.

On 10/05/2017 at 2:41 PM, mrastoney said:

Strictly speaking, yes, the APEC card allows 90 days entry every time you arrive....but that doesn't mean you can use it as a free ticket to avoid getting a visa and staying long-term.

A friend of mine, got questioned perhaps 1 year ago at Suwanaphumi about his frequent visits and long stays using an APEC card.  He was essentially using the APEC card as a means to live in Thailand year round.  The officer issued him with 30 days and told him not to use the card like that.  I seem to recall someone else posting similar.  I doubt it makes any difference but my friend is an Australian passport holder and not a New Zealander.

You might find that after a few visits you get asked what you're up to, as my friend was.  Or, with a bit of luck, you won't.