Request info for APEC travel card

In case any of the US expats care to apply:

When and where can U.S. citizens apply for the APEC Business Travel Card?

The U.S. APEC Business Travel Card Program (ABTC) is a voluntary program to facilitate travel for U.S. citizens engaged in verified business in the APEC region and U.S. government officials engaged in APEC business.

To apply, you must go to the Global Online Enrollment System,or GOES website. This is the same website that is used to apply for CBP's trusted traveler programs. Check the box in GOES for the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card. If you are not already a CBP trusted traveler then you must schedule a visit to any CBP trusted traveler enrollment center for an interview and for electronic signature collection.

For a list of the enrollment centers go to cbp.gov.

If you are already a CBP trusted traveler, you must go to your GOES online account and add the APEC Business Traveler Card. Once conditionally approved for the APEC Business Traveler Card, you may visit any CBP trusted traveler enrollment center for signature collection.

To be eligible for the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card Program, you must meet three criteria:

• You must be a U.S. citizen;
  • You must be an existing member in good standing or be approved for membership in a CBP trusted traveler program (SENTRI, NEXUS, or Global Entry) during the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card application process, meaning they will go through a thorough vetting process including a review of all relevant national security and criminal databases prior to enrollment
  • You must be either a verified business person, or a U.S. government official, who is actively engaged in APEC business.

The application fee for the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card is $70. The fee is non- refundable. This fee is in addition to the fee for the selected CBP Trusted Traveler Program. For example, a new applicant applying for the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card with their Global Entry application would pay an application fee of $170. This breaks down to $70 for the APEC Business Travel Card application and $100 for the Global Entry application.

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Strictly speaking, yes, the APEC card allows 90 days entry every time you arrive....but that doesn't mean you can use it as a free ticket to avoid getting a visa and staying long-term.

A friend of mine, got questioned perhaps 1 year ago at Suwanaphumi about his frequent visits and long stays using an APEC card.  He was essentially using the APEC card as a means to live in Thailand year round.  The officer issued him with 30 days and told him not to use the card like that.  I seem to recall someone else posting similar.  I doubt it makes any difference but my friend is an Australian passport holder and not a New Zealander.

You might find that after a few visits you get asked what you're up to, as my friend was.  Or, with a bit of luck, you won't.

I will call you out regarding this and I'm speaking not on the basis of what a friend told me but as a holder of the card myself for nine years. I would say what your friend said is a false rumour.

If you or indeed your friend had much experience as to what APEC as an organisation is all about,  a member country would never treat a cardholder like that anyway and even if they did have any objection (which I don't believe that either) to someone spending long periods of time here an  immigration officer would never  say the things that you claim. In nine years I've never had anyone mention anything at all like what your friend allegedly experienced and I spent very long periods of time very often back to back many times here just on 90 day visits.

Edited by midas