Do you cook? Does your partner cook? Or do you go out and eat street food?

tukkytuktuk

I used to eat street food every day when I first arrived in Thailand. Then my wife cooked the usual fried rice, fried meat, sticky rice and market food for me most days. Nowday's though I find myself popping in the 7/11 or the local supermarket or mini-marts and buying microwave meals, chips and burgers. Has this happened to you too! Have you lost your appetite for Thai cuisine and gone back to your western food? Please, do tell...

Cheers Tucky.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out in rural Khampaeng Phet where I live the nearest half decent restaurant is 6 km away not far from the 7/11. There are a few noodle shops on the way but the tend to open for a while then another one opens and the first closes down.

I make a lot of my own western food and cook for myself at lunch time. Breakfast is usually fruit and a bread roll. My wife cooks dinner for all of us and especially our son at the weekend and sometimes she visits the noodle shops for a late breakfast or lunch.

Street food - food cooked outside in the street, noodles, barbeque pork, chicken, fried food, spicy papaya salad, etc.. some have tables, chairs or plastic stools to sit and eat. Every street has street food for sale. Unless you live in a residential area that has a security guard.

14 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I did once have a toasted cheese and ham sandwich from a 7/11, and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. I was however, on my way home from a party feeling a little intoxicated.:drunk:

The 7/11 Ham and cheese toasty is one of the major food groups. When I first moved here and staying in a hotel, i brought a sandwich maker and stocked up the fridge with 7/11 toasties.

I ate street food when I first moved here many years ago. I've quit for a few reasons. One, watching how they wash dishes,  or don't. Two, my wife cooks way better than what's available on the street,  with higher grade ingredients. Three,  many places are right on the road side. Not enjoyable to me. I'd prefer a nearby restaurant,  and prices aren't that much different.

Also,  wifey now loves Western food. So she cooks a lot of this for us.

I'll eat anything. Do street food, thai "restaurants" take away, 7/11 microwave meals (really good for 35-40baht) and several times a week I cook myself either farang or "my style" Thai food. Usually larger quantities for the freezer. Got a large chest freezer. Ideal for bread, 7/11 meals in stock, 2 large bags of ice, French fries, meat stock, and so on.

I cooked all the food. Then I taught the gf. light turned on.

Now I only see her every once in awhile. her restaurant seats plus 150 a day 

So.....now I'm happy with her doing well.....But was it worth it?

15 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Street food - food cooked outside in the street, noodles, barbeque pork, chicken, fried food, spicy papaya salad, etc.. some have tables, chairs or plastic stools to sit and eat. Every street has street food for sale. Unless you live in a residential area that has a security guard.

so your options are crap fast food or street food, what ever happened to restaurants or god forbid cooking at home.

Street food is an occasional craving, anything from 7-11 is not an option.

3 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I cooked all the food. Then I taught the gf. light turned on.

Now I only see her every once in awhile. her restaurant seats plus 150 a day 

So.....now I'm happy with her doing well.....But was it worth it?

My wife is a really good cook. Seems to come by it naturally. She desperately wants to open a restaurant. I don't! I'll rarely see her! LOL

All of the above. Street Had Yai chicken is cheap and my favorite. GF cooks Thai and Isaan Food. I cook pasta, steaks, stews, etc, She orders Isaan food and a motor bike brings it over. Breakfast today for me was a sausage, two fried eggs and two pieces of whole wheat toast. Lunch was a lettuce, tomato, carrot salad. GF and 2 friends are eating fried short ribs and papaya bok bok as i write. If there are any ribs left I might eat them tonight. If not I will have pork liver and onions over rice and maybe frozen green beans.  

My Thai partner is an excellent cook. Today was pork chops with roast potatoes, beans, carrots, cauliflower and brocolli. Tomorrow may be a stir fry or noodle dish, so I get a nice balanced mixture of Thai and falang food, which she enjoys equally as well. She doesn't trust street food, says most of it is unclean, vegetables unwashed etc. We do go to a nice restaurant a couple of times a month though.

With the amount of sugar, cooking oil, salt, MSG and who knows what else going into many Thai dishes the GF and I decided that we needed to look after our health and started to cook ourselves. This decision was about two years ago. After watching YouTube, checking out recipes online and cooking at home it has turned out that we both feel 100% more healthy, we look better, have more energy, exercise more and have adjusted our entire lives to be much more healthy. She and I both cook and share the cleaning. We still eat out sometimes but now we watch what we eat and try to avoid foods that are unhealthy. A donut, cake or ice cream sometimes is a treat but not every day. What a Thai meal before would cost 500 + baht we now prepare at home for less than half the cost and we know exactly what is and is not added. The only problem is that now we know the difference between great healthy home cooked meals and the terrible stuff you get served at restaurants and in the street.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I did once have a toasted cheese and ham sandwich from a 7/11, and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. I was however, on my way home from a party feeling a little intoxicated.:drunk:

I like some of the 7-11 food, but most of their sandwiches and buns have cheese on them and I don't like cheese.

2 hours ago, BrainLife said:

I'll eat anything. Do street food, thai "restaurants" take away, 7/11 microwave meals (really good for 35-40baht) and several times a week I cook myself either farang or "my style" Thai food. Usually larger quantities for the freezer. Got a large chest freezer. Ideal for bread, 7/11 meals in stock, 2 large bags of ice, French fries, meat stock, and so on.

I have never seen French Fries in a 7-11, is this new? I usually boil or bake my potatoes, but I'm partial to chips (French Fries) now and again.

My partner is a good cook, so two or three cooked meals a week. However, I am aware that it takes a long time for him to cook these quality meals, so we eat at a variety of quality restaurants for the rest of the week. Being a vegetarian, this does put the pressure on me, but I always fit in as it is better for him to choose as I can get food from say a vegetarian restaurant and take it with me if it is a local Thai restaurant. We vary our restaurants from traditional Thai to Western. At night, we just go for something really light and easy after a walk and get it from the night market.

16 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Today I've cooked pumpkin soup and English crumpets. Yesterday I had Southern Muslim curry with rotis. I eat what and when it's available.

Pumpkin soup? now that's something. Mrs Possum makes some for me sometimes, the most beautiful soup I ever tasted.