Do you cook? Does your partner cook? Or do you go out and eat street food?

tukkytuktuk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gf doesn't like most western food... nix that.... most non-Thai food. She'll eat pizza etc in a pinch, but then has to spice it up to Thai levels. [She also doesn't eat beef for religious reasons, so hamburgers are not an option]. She loves my laab moo--tells her friends it's the best she's tasted--but other than that, she does all the cooking when we stay in, and she's become quite good. When we eat out, it's probably non-Thai 10% of the time... and if we go to a western (etc) restaurant, she'll immediately look for Thai items on the menu. I haven't been successful about opening her mind when it comes to food...

12 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I can't imagine being in a relationship with someone who didn't like the same food as me. I like to be with someone I can share life's pleasures with, and good food is one of the best!

Seems like you can't imagine much outside your comfort zone. 

Just now, SoiBiker said:

I shared my opinion. Why not share yours, rather than start up your usual tiresome, off-topic,  needlessly-adversarial nonsense?

I shared my opinion as well. You clearly missed it. 

4 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Oh, and regarding street food being dirty? I've worked in some restaurant kitchens where stuff went on that was downright gross. Weird how people trust what they can't see, but not what they can.

that little dose of "crud" in street food builds your immune system   some say.

Just now, surangw said:

that little dose of "crud" in street food builds your immune system   some say.

I think I probably ate so much crud in filthy student kitchens and dodgy bedsits in my youth that my digestive system is bulletproof.

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

I cook. She cooks. We eat street food. We eat in restaurants. We get takeaway delivered. 

Don't most normal people get their food from a variety of sources?

Your wife is English though, so I'm sure you guys eat a lot of the same stuff I would imagine. Point being that a lot of guys married women with a different palate than themselves and it adds to the 'complexity' of life here when dealing with the day-to-day stuff. 

Not a biggie, but a notable difference. 

I gave up Street food in bangkok years ago but I'm staying in Chang Mai for a month at Chang Mai gate and have been binging on Chang Mai sausage and all the amazing stuff around the markets

I could live here for just the street food.. But.....

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The 7/11 Ham and cheese toasty is one of the major food groups. When I first moved here and staying in a hotel, i brought a sandwich maker and stocked up the fridge with 7/11 toasties.

The one in a black package with 2 ham slices in it is pretty damn good. 

because of the lack of decent sausages I decided to make my own, I then bought a slow cooker and started doing lamb shank with peas and barley + salmon fish cakes and after being sold a mango and lamb madrass curry with 80% mango I now do my own lamb and mango curry, my thai wife now makes and cooks all of the above and a sunday roast dinner

as good as any I have had.

the two things I have found hard to find in Thailand is decent sausages that do not become

less appetizing over time(I think they cut down on the quality of the contents)

and a reliable taxi/Limo firm  that last more than two or three years before they start letting you down.  

My wife is a great cook.....Everything is always prepared perfectly with garnishes & side dishes for a nice presentation....She loves to cook and actively watches for ways to improve her "menu".....Always with an eye towards healthy foods & home made fruit juices.....

She's pro-active in passing this along to our daughters so over 90% is prepared at home.....

Once & awhile I'll teach the girls how to cook some western meals & baking....

If we have a lot of people (family) over I'll wet smoke something so there will be a few meals worth for everyone.....

About once a week out for western food.....

Street food - rarely - all you have to do is watch what they're doing & ingredients/conditions/cleanliness & it's enough to back off and wait....

Edited by pgrahmm

Just got done eating some delicious kapow moo at a hole in the wall restaurant.   Cheap and tasty.  Thai street food just about 90% of the time for me.  I never cook.

Good lad, too many finicky buggers around.
;)