Do you cook? Does your partner cook? Or do you go out and eat street food?

tukkytuktuk

You would have to be stark raving mad to eat Thai street food, I once did a tour of the street food vendors in Bkk with a guy who's job was a food inspector in a New Zealand city and he pointed out all the different bacteria's that would be in most stalls most of which would either make you ill or very ill depending on the sturdiness of your stomach. Its ok if you are brought up on it. 7/11 foods are crap no nutrition to speak of. You are far better off cooking your own healthy food lots of vegetables and soups. Bacon and eggs are quite ok and surprisingly nutritious. Stick to a basic meat/fish and veggie diet and you will stay healthy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

You would have to be stark raving mad to eat Thai street food, I once did a tour of the street food vendors in Bkk with a guy who's job was a food inspector in a New Zealand city and he pointed out all the different bacteria's that would be in most stalls most of which would either make you ill or very ill depending on the sturdiness of your stomach. Its ok if you are brought up on it. 7/11 foods are crap no nutrition to speak of. You are far better off cooking your own healthy food lots of vegetables and soups. Bacon and eggs are quite ok and surprisingly nutritious. Stick to a basic meat/fish and veggie diet and you will stay healthy.

They had a report in the Bangkok Post a few years ago. Showed a street vendor getting water from the klong to wash dishes. Also spoke about the ability to get all sorts of nasty diseases because you are basically eating right off others plates and utensils.

I once saw a vendor shovel used rice back into his pot. Yuck. Not for me.

I cook myself most of the time and drive all over BKK to get the best ingredients. I cook better than ANY restaurant in BKK i dare to say, Western/Mexican/Indian and fusion.

But we also eat takeaway pizzacompany or from a local Thai restaurant with deliverservice. Sizzlers is great or the better restaurants in the malls. Went to Zen last weekend and it was terribly bad, won't go back.

I like to cook but shopping is a crime and i hate it. Takes far too much time/frustration. Foodland and Makro are good but the rest not.

5* chicken we also eat sometimes.

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've never eaten 'street food', if I go out to eat I go to a restaurant.

Just like restaurants, you have to pick and choose to find good street food. If you have never eaten street food, you’re missing out on some really great Thai cuisine.

3 minutes ago, Shot said:

Just like restaurants, you have to pick and choose to find good street food. If you have never eaten street food, you’re missing out on some really great Thai cuisine.

Cuisine is french krab.

What i see on the streets is that they use unchilled meat and mostly organ meat....they wash the dish in a bowl of filthy water or have a dirty tod of towell.

If i wanna eat from the street i buy a grilled half chicken or so straight from the grill.

I don't know what dishes you are referring to but i bet the local restaurants also have it. I don't even fit on one of those plastic blue tables with stools at the sidewalks. I also can't use those fork and spoons because they bend so easy. 

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Cuisine is french krab.

What i see on the streets is that they use unchilled meat and mostly organ meat....they wash the dish in a bowl of filthy water or have a dirty tod of towell.

If i wanna eat from the street i buy a grilled half chicken or so straight from the grill.

I don't know what dishes you are referring to but i bet the local restaurants also have it. I don't even fit on one of those plastic blue tables with stools at the sidewalks. I also can't use those fork and spoons because they bend so easy. 

Like I said, you're shopping in the wrong places.

From Oxford Dictionary: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cuisine

"Cuisine

NOUN

1. a style or method of cooking, especially as characteristic of a particular country, region, or establishment."

20 minutes ago, Shot said:

Just because it may taste good, doesn't mean it is good for you.

I can't stomach most of the street food anymore. It just seems like there's no love in it anymore. You see this reflected in the attitude of the vendors. When it comes to cheap eats, there's a couple nice canteens in the area. And then there's a few decent mid-range restaurants that do some nice stuff to order. But I prefer cooking at home whenever possible.

Never burgers or junk  food like pizza and I recently stopped all instant 7/11 food due to high  sugar and salt content.  But I enjoy some street food and some high end western cuisine. I  prepare a lot of my own food at home but do little actual cooking which is a hobby of mine so i will return to it. Today I made two different salad dressings and made a fruit and yogurt meal with oats for tomorrow. I made a dressing for smoked salmon and made my own chilli dipping sauce for roast chicken or pork ribs which I will buy on the street. Last week I bought chicken offal liver- heart and craw kebabs from the BBQ at the end of Soi Diamond or Soi 15 near the moto sai boys. My one westen food indulgence is the fantastic pies from the lady on the motor bike 'The Pie Nice Clean Company' and also the fish and chips or potato scallops from the tiny stall next to the entrance of Soi LK metro SB side.  The food stall next to it - chow mein charlies,  is also excellent. But such treats are a rare indulgence for me these days. Fore trhai food i eat the clams in chilli paste with crab fried rice once a week and if with a chick whole steamed fish cooked on the table.

6 minutes ago, eldragon said:

I've seen em reuse the uneaten cucumber and tomato slices too.

There's probably stuff you don't see that would swear you off street food forever, but that could be said of a lot of restaurants as well.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

There's probably stuff you don't see that would swear you off street food forever, but that could be said of a lot of restaurants as well.

Yeah, that's the part people forget. They say things like "street vendors don't wash their hands", but then you go to use the restroom at a decent restaurant and guess what? No soap!

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

So?

If you don't care, that says a lot about you, but in previous posts you said that you'd stopped eating a lot of junk food, so your "so" comment makes no sense.

Edited by giddyup

(Hidden post removed)

No, it's people who give a sh*t about what they put in their body. Do you think that chicken or squid that's been hanging off the cart all day in the blazing sun, getting covered in soot, dust and flies is actually hygienic? Or the tomatoes and cucumbers etc that have never been washed of  the pesticides, that have been used so liberally?

Edited by Moderator01

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

Me and the Mrs used to own a thai street food business in Wales, we were inspected by environmental health officers (EHO) a couple of times in 3 years and we always received a 5 star for food hygiene. The EHO do not let you know when they are going to visit they just turn up so you have to keep a high standard at all times, I would imagine that any EHO from the UK would probably go on a starvation diet in Thailand as they would be appalled at some of the practices here.

I on the other hand like a lot of the street food in Thailand and in over 25 years of living and visiting Thailand I have never had a problem from any of the food I have eaten. I am quite picky about what places I eat at though and if it is too dirty looking I won't eat there, another thing I find is that busier looking places tend to be better quality.

I wouldn't dream of eating ready meals from 7-11 in Thailand nor would I eat ready meals from supermarkets in the UK because as you accurately describe they are crap with no nutritional value.

I am a good cook and like to cook deferent things, my Mrs is an fantastic cook so we do cook for ourselves quite a lot, and we try to use the best quality ingredients as this does affect the taste. We also eat at restaurants and eat food from the street.

I have been cooking since 13yrs old .  I taught my former wife to cook and our children  .  I have had an hotel and restaurant where I cooked at weekends to give our chef a day off .  I cook almost every day in Thailand , my wife is head teacher of a school and comes home tired .  I cook a good nutritious meal , either English , Italian or Thai ; otherwise my wife resorts to Isaan sticky rice and disgusting pickings for flavour .  My wife can cook really delicious Thai meals on occasion .  We rarely eat out . 

I eat street food regularly and you just have to shop around to find the best ones. Some I agree are serving uncooked food and sea food that can give you nasty runs or worse food poisoning, but that's quite rare. The majority serve tasty food for a cheap price and some a bloody good meal, better than some hi-so restaurants. As for restaurants, used to go to M.K and Sizzler but not much anymore due to the cost. Last time we went to M.K my wife, my son and I, it cost 1,300 baht and that was a basic family set with some extras, the same meal a year ago was 800 baht. Inflation.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Kinda like that well known restaurant that poured undrank green tea back into the pitchers for reuse?

Mixture of Thai food brought from local daily markets and once a week ( if I get into tesco lotus and I remember I cook a nice pork or beef roast. which to be real honest is probably one a month not once a week. chicken is staple diet roast/boiled. And lots of sticky rice with condensed milk.  Tons of fruit.

Enjoy it while you can fellas. I've seen the future of genuine, traditional Thai cuisine and it's not pretty.  I lectured at a large Thai university for five years up until last year. In my first year I asked students in each class about food preferences, kitchen skills etc as an ice-breaker discussion and was shocked by what I learned. It's a large uni (top 10), with a large majority of students from what they saw as privileged families, but hardly "princesses". Nevertheless ...  I started doing an informal survey of my classes at the start of each semester, asking who enjoyed cooking, who could cook or ever used the kitchen at their home, what they could cook, etc.  One male student in 5 years expressed an interest in cooking; at best 2-3 girls in each class were prepared to express interest.  None had more than basic skills (not much beyond knowing how to cook an egg or operate a rice-cooker).  All agreed they expected marriage and a family in their future lives. Everyone agreed eating out (from 7/11 takeaway to street stalls and restaurants) was a natural, realistic part of that future.  Very few had interest in having a kitchen in their future homes; a fridge, freezer and microwave was all that seemed necessary (virtually unanimous).Catering and restaurant businesses appear to have a solid business future; supermarkets may have to do some frantic reassessing of local market needs in the next decade. Traditional local markets might be very different in a few years.

I eat at restaurants or street food or cook at home.  Probably over time I've cooked at home more frequently. Have never done microwaved "food" from 7/Eleven or the like, but once in awhile I've picked up prepared food or sashimi from Tops.