17 people rushed to hospital in Lampang after eating food containing caustic soda

webfact

17 people were rushed to hospital after eating food containing caustic soda

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fs6FQXsGaEMkFkD3lckizaL

LAMPANG: -- Seventeen people were rushed to a hospital in Wang Nua district of Lampang on Wednesday after they ate food prepared by a cook who mistook caustic soda as salt and used it in preparing food to serve guests at a funeral rite.

Wang Nua district officer Kriangsak Saengyunont said the 17 guests who attended a funeral rite at a house in Tambon Wang Sai Kham suffered serious mouth burns after they ate food prepared by a cook.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/17-people-were-rushed-to-hospital-after-eating-food-containing-caustic-soda/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-03

1 hour ago, Jedsada3 said:

I would say he confused Sodium Carbonate with Caustic Soda...

Sodium Chloride (NaCl), common table salt, you mean?

Caustic Soda, lye, sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) seems to be what was added.

Sodium carbonate, Na₂CO₃, is the water-soluble sodium salt of carbonic acid.  It is not Bicarbonate of sode - commonly called baking soda.

Confusing for some!

5 hours ago, Jedsada3 said:

I would say he confused Sodium Carbonate with Caustic Soda...

How many Thai cooks can read this (even in Thai language) and understand the difference.

Also did the customers not taste something unusual or was it so hot spiced they even would not have noticed if there was cow dung added?

Edited by fvw53

5 hours ago, fredge45 said:

Sodium Chloride (NaCl), common table salt, you mean?

Caustic Soda, lye, sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) seems to be what was added.

Sodium carbonate, Na₂CO₃, is the water-soluble sodium salt of carbonic acid.  It is not Bicarbonate of sode - commonly called baking soda.

Confusing for some!

Of course I meant Sodium BIcarbonate!

The kitchen is a poor place to store chemicals, but everyone seems too. They should be stored in another room/building in a high cabinet, but even in the US most are stored under the sink in the kitchen where kids and illiterate cooks have easy access. I hear ant poison is a highly touted spice also.