Thai court rejects defamation case against British labor activist Andy Hall

webfact

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, waldroj said:

At last! Some sanity relating to defamation in Thailand. 

It has nothing to do with the defamation laws. Quote:   '...the allegedly defamatory act was committed in Myanmar where Thai courts have no jurisdiction. It also cited flawed and unlawful interrogation process during police investigation of the case'. So Hall's appeal was upheld because the 'crime' wasn't committed in Thailand and the police made errors and acted unlawfully (no surprise there).

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

Does this mean that a precedent (if such a thing exists in Thai law) has been established that one cannot defame outside Thailand?

What now of the desired extraditions for LM?

Is there something "blowin' in the wind"?

precedents can not be set in thailand as they law is not applied in a uniform manner.

8 hours ago, Enoon said:

Does this mean that a precedent (if such a thing exists in Thai law) has been established that one cannot defame outside Thailand?

What now of the desired extraditions for LM?

Is there something "blowin' in the wind"?

The announcements that they were going to seek extradition for LM were all hooey. The people who made the announcements knew full well they could never succeed. They were made to appease the ultra-conservative elements who don't really understand international affairs.

9 hours ago, performance said:

The attorney general should be sued. But good luck with that. The police well that is laughable. They all should be removed and rebuilt. Never going to happen. To many hands being greased. There is no 20 year reform. To reform these simpletons it takes 1 year. This is a side step by all concerned. namely the regime. What reform when we have our own military law lol. We do not intend to return any country. When we do let them fix it. 

Don't despair, I lived through the years that they cleaned up the then corrupt New South Wales police force, which took about 5 years, corruption was wiped out, well that is what they told us.

Thai justice and court systems, take a bow.  Great to see people in the Thai judiciary and legal system prove their integrity.  It's just a shame that so much international publicity has besmirched many good, upright legal personalities within the Kingdom. I hope the media (and people in general) will give credit when it is due.

10 hours ago, window said:

The Muppet should stay in Britian and keep his nose out of other countries business.

Wow. A newbie with 6 posts comes out with a statement like that. Clearly you endorse slavery , forced Labour ,people trafficking and countless wrong doings in Thailand by making that statement . 

Either that or your benefitting from one or all of these criminal activities..Which is it ? 

12 hours ago, waldroj said:

At last! Some sanity relating to defamation in Thailand. 

Let's hope MaxLee's warning (above) doesn't prove to be prophetic. 

The defamation game as played here is something out of the 17th century.  It's part of the culture (and therefore something all farangs are duty-bound to take a knee to; or so say many expats who feel they must lobotomize themselves to live here...).  It'd be easier to move mountains than change it.   But it holds Thailand back.   It's not "cute" or endearing; it's oppressive, backward, and easily exploited by the privileged.

10 hours ago, window said:

The Muppet should stay in Britian and keep his nose out of other countries business.

Unfortunately many Thais are this short sighted and think this way. Why make a fuss if it does not affect you even if it has been a problem for you in the past.

If window was a Burmese employee of this company I suspect he/she would have a different view. Poor people are walked all over in Thailand because no one stands up to get things changed. Free speech on the internet is being suppressed more every day. If nobody makes a stand even democracy could be in danger.

PS. If any of that companies products are exported to the UK it is the UKs business!

14 hours ago, tbthailand said:

The AG was going along with this? And Prayuth pretends that he understands human rights?

no surprise, ... unlawful interrogation = standard operating procedures ....

Go for it, man... 

I'm prepared to throw a few  bob into the pot for Andy's counter-suit. But, better that Andy keeps his powder dry, until the other case(s) are resolved in Andy's favour.

16 hours ago, window said:

Are you the complete pacifist? Never done anything to help the "underdog"?

Your motto: "I'm alright Jack"?

17 hours ago, gamini said:

Typical Thai bashing. Anything that is good in Thailand is crudely bashed by you. I really wish the judge involved could see your email and you be jailed for contempt of court as you would be in any other country for making such allegations.

Dear Lord, someone woke up the wrong side of bed this morning.

In any other country, no. 

16 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Are you the complete pacifist? Never done anything to help the "underdog"?

Your motto: "I'm alright Jack"?

Huh? The underdog in this story is the poor and exploited worker. Not the judges who just make stuff up as they go along. 

Try to see the bigger picture. I don't know who's worse - the Thai basher or the apologist. 

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Dear Lord, someone woke up the wrong side of bed this morning.

In any other country, no. 

Huh? The underdog in this story is the poor and exploited worker. Not the judges who just make stuff up as they go along. 

Try to see the bigger picture. I don't know who's worse - the Thai basher or the apologist. 

Damn, I missed something. I thought Hall was for the underdog.

Watch out - the best advice given further up. You've got the attorney general, the police, the prosecutor and Natural Fruit Co. Ltd. against you and getting their case thrown out of court woke up many, many sleeping dogs. 
Right so - carry on the good work but you might want to do this from outside the Land. Natural Fruit Co. Ltd. got precisely the publicity they wanted to avoid by all means! Instead of keeping quiet and letting things pass by they poked into the beehive. 

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Watch out - the best advice given further up. You've got the attorney general, the police, the prosecutor and Natural Fruit Co. Ltd. against you and getting their case thrown out of court woke up many, many sleeping dogs. 
Right so - carry on the good work but you might want to do this from outside the Land. Natural Fruit Co. Ltd. got precisely the publicity they wanted to avoid by all means! Instead of keeping quiet and letting things pass by they poked into the beehive. 

Many posts are sending a warning to Andy - I don't think he needs them as he knows what he is doing. The case is way too high profile in the international media for anyone to attempt anything stupid against him.

Best of luck with your other cases, Andy.

10 hours ago, Grubster said:

It really is amazing how the west wants to talk about the east when they use bad labor practices to supply the west with cheap stuff. We want it but we don't like it.

Agreed. Walmart, Apple etc etc. 

I guess no members of Thai Visa, eat shrimp in Thailand. Or have never bought a Polo, or Man United (favorite)team;

for 200 baht ?

Great point.

54 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Damn, I missed something. I thought Hall was for the underdog.

No, you didn't

You took offence to the judges being called corrupt. Ergo, in your eyes the poor judges were unfairly treated.

Andy Hall can take care of himself as is proven by how well he does/tries to take care of the poor and exploited.

Go and troll somewhere else.