Bollywood Kurry -- Sophisticated, Delicious, and Well Priced Indian food

Jingthing

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tazly said:

Do they have Chicken 65 on the menu....quick OP without googling can you answer it?

I know the dish and it's on many menus but I don't think so. 

Chinese Indian fusion style deep fried chili chicken (or potato or baby corn) is.

This  restaurant welcomes requests for off menu dishes which are done if they have the ingredients and the chef knows it. I would guess they can do this dish but of course you'd have to ask. 

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, chintuchotugandu said:

Hey, sounds interesting 

can someone please share the contact number of the restaurant or the owners, was planning to visit the place sometime this week. The number that I could trace from google goes unanswered 

Sure thing.

098 7833132

I think it's OK to post because it's a public business and their card offers

CATERING, TAKE AWAY, and DELIVERY

• 2 weeks later...

Back to Bollywood Kurry for more food.

Food is tasty as ever.

Did I mention they are OPEN LATE? 

They did a major redesign in the entrance which means nothing if you don't know what it was like before.

Had a Punjabi Kadai chicken curry with a very thick sauce and decided to ask for chicken on the bone. There was a surcharge of 30 baht but most places when you ask for chicken on the bone give you some cut up small pieces. This was two legs. It was excellent.

About 220 (?) plus surcharge.

bolly2.jpg.a1b5f66006364fca53e8e8d3b872b704.jpg

This is a fried vegetarian appetizer, filled with spinach inside. Enjoyable but don't like to eat fried foods too often. About 150 (?). 

bolly3.jpg.70942b9714e5d535b2dbc8900aaa2c69.jpg

Something different.

I wanted a little something on the side for my mutton biryani (asked for extra cardamom) and saw something called a tandoori salad for 70 baht. It's carrot, onions, and cucumber in a tandoori spiced sauce. I was told that it was a creation for their menu. I mentioned that it would benefit from adding some cubed POTATOES and it was agreed that was a good idea. So if order this, you can ask to add potatoes to it if they don't actually change the standard recipe.

To be clear, nothing in this dish is cooked in the tandoor. 

It was a surprisingly good combo with biryani (which is a big, big seller there and comes with a small dish of basic raita). 

bolly1.jpg.c4b248178ef190d70942f908af9d0c27.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/26/2017 at 4:53 AM, tazly said:

Do they have Chicken 65 on the menu....quick OP without googling can you answer it?

Update on this. Not only don't they have it, they don't offer it even off the menu.

They do do a chicken appetizer concoction called Chicken Lollipop. 

Edited by Jingthing

Yes I finally tried this place. The one time I was going to go before they were playing loud Arab/Indian rap.  However a few weeks later I visited it. I had what I call normal British curies on the menu-thank goodness but it had an intriguing range of vegetarian food using cheese, potatoes, dahls' pulses etc etc. I had a long chat with the owner who asked what kind of music he should be playing............er Bollywood movie music I answered. The food was good but I thought the portions a tad small. I would go there again.

Interesting! Weirdly music playing isn't something I've noticed about the place. I will try to pay attention in future and open my ears. Definitely don't recall any kind of rap. Their clientele is mostly South Asian and Arabic reflecting the tourism demographic there. Portion size people can get an idea from the many pictures here.

Insiders tip.

I noticed a regular customer with an unfamiliar dish and found out it was TAWA chicken.

Tandoori chicken pieces in a masala done on a grill plate.

NOT on the menu. You need to ask. 

So tried it later.

It's 270, a premium due to it being a bit more fancy with the grill plate thingie.

Can also get the same dish with mutton and probably fish and paneer as well.

IMG_20170605_220154.thumb.jpg.9a1246297373d96f043aa6b9bddcb294.jpg

Tried their yellow dal (tadka though the name is a little different on their menu) for the first time. Pictured is not the entire order as some was already served in a side bowl. This dal was excellent. Dal Tadka is one of my favorite Indian dishes and their version didn't disappoint. 

IMG_20170605_220204.thumb.jpg.2ee02d87876fed3955c9f6a869dcf9a4.jpg150 baht

An example of the impressive service level at this place -- no problem at all ordering a half order of rice. Sometimes you want bread and rice but don't need an entire order. Sorted.

Both dishes ordered spicy and got spicy.

Not sure about their half order policies on other things. But the other day when I ordered biryani and expressed interest in some kind of wet accompaniment, was offered a half order of chicken curry. Didn't want that but it's very cool that it's possible.

Edited by Jingthing

Good news.

I found I was able to order a half order of a curry (in this case, bhindi masala) to add some spicy "crazy" curry gravy to my biryani.

I happen to like biryani with whole cardamon spice. Normally you won't get that at Bollywood, but, you will if you ask. 

This restaurant's flexibility and sincere efforts to please the tastes of every customer is really out of the ordinary.

On 6/12/2017 at 8:31 PM, Jingthing said:

Good news.

I found I was able to order a half order of a curry (in this case, bhindi masala) to add some spicy "crazy" curry gravy to my biryani.

I happen to like biryani with whole cardamon spice. Normally you won't get that at Bollywood, but, you will if you ask. 

This restaurant's flexibility and sincere efforts to please the tastes of every customer is really out of the ordinary.

I really like Bollywood..........the food is good and the owner (s) are kind and helpful.  I have been eating there since it opened, but I almost always get the same thing (yes, a  creature of habit).  The other day I went there and the owner said "you always get the same thing, why not try another dish."  I said, "fine.....you make the selection."  He was a bit surprised at that, but did what I said.  The dish he selected was wonderful (I think it is called Malik Paneer).  If you like Indian food, try Bollywood.

17 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Do they deliver?

I've had 3 indian meals in Pattaya & all were awful with the last one practically inedible.

I know they do in the very local area, but in general, I really don't know!

I think maybe so though. 

I'm pretty sure they don't have a printed takeout menu and they don't have a website, so best to visit and eat there and then if you like the food enough,  you could study their menu for later if they do deliver.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-5 at 8:21 PM, Jingthing said:

Interesting! Weirdly music playing isn't something I've noticed about the place. I will try to pay attention in future and open my ears. Definitely don't recall any kind of rap. Their clientele is mostly South Asian and Arabic reflecting the tourism demographic there. Portion size people can get an idea from the many pictures here.

Indeed it may have been a one off aberration - hopefully not to be repeated. 

I tried the classic more fancy dish paneer pasanda at Bollywood Kurry for the first time recently. First time there and first time anywhere!

It's the type of dish that's done in different styles. Their style is that the paneer thingies  are stuffed with mint, fried, and cooked in a gravy. The menu says it's got cashew nut in the gravy (more delicate) but by default (based on my spice preference history) I got a lovely redder spicier type gravy. I loved it but was expecting the other gravy.

In other recipes, it can be done stuffed with DRIED FRUIT. That sounds really good to me, but alas, that's not the recipe at Bollywood Kurry.

Next time I will be sure to request the more standard not red gravy with cashew nuts which I was told can be hotted up with GREEN chilies. 

However, as served, I enjoyed the dish quite a lot. The paneer thingies, even though deep fried, were not as heavy as I had expected.

I also learned that traditionally the dish is served with bread, nan, paratha, etc. I made the "mistake" of ordering rice instead. I do think it would have been better with bread. 

Edited by Jingthing