U.k. Pensions

If you are in receipt of a UK state pension then the pension rules are about to be changed shortly.

The number of contributory years needed to receive a full state pension will be reduced to 30 which may help some of the guys planning to retire to LOS.

Sadly there is to be no change in the current situation in that if you live outside the EU after retirement there will never be any increase in the rate of the pension originally awarded.

However the minister for pensions had invited comment on his propsed revisions and can be contacted at http://as1.emv2.com/I?a=A9X7CqnNpLUV8SzLyKLCupPi_A.

Could I ask that all EU citizens reading this contact the minister via the link shown and express their disgust that guys who wish to retire to a country where they will have a better quality of life and not be a drain on the social services of their own country are being unfairly penalised for exercising their options to do so.

Could I ask that all EU citizens reading this contact the minister via the link shown and express their disgust that guys who wish to retire to a country where they will have a better quality of life and not be a drain on the social services of their own country are being unfairly penalised for exercising their options to do so.

Don't be jealous. Because meanwhile, all the pensions will be reduced...

I mean I'm surprised to see that people still believe in those "pyramidal schemes" with state pensions.

One word : demography.

This word nobody want to hear it. Alas, nobody can escape it.

We have many dreamers in France too. They still believe that they will be able to go in retirement at... 60 years old. I know that in Germany and UK, the age limit went up already.

Anyway. It will get worst.

We have only a few solutions : work longer, reduce pension, and/or pay pensions with monkey money (inflation).

And one absolute certainty : future "retirees" will be fxxx.

Edited by cclub75

Agree with Paulsmithson - this is one of the few rulings I feel to be totally unfair.

I'd also point out that under the new proposals UK pensions will increase inline with wages from 2012 so the pension will be improving over the years

Paulsmithson, you are 100% correct. Why should we get treated differently to every one else. We all pay the same. Only encourages people to lie and not tell them they are living abroad. I know pensioners living here now who get the winter heating allowance. :o:D:D

Paul,I think it's a good idea,fear the burocracy in every EU country doesn' give a d**n,however the rules re pensions are slithly different for every EU country,so coordination would be near to impossible.

Feel same as you,but not many things we can achieve,sorry. :o

If you are in receipt of a UK state pension then the pension rules are about to be changed shortly.

The number of contributory years needed to receive a full state pension will be reduced to 30 which may help some of the guys planning to retire to LOS.

Sadly there is to be no change in the current situation in that if you live outside the EU after retirement there will never be any increase in the rate of the pension originally awarded.

You are not entirely correct. There are several countries outside the EU where UK retirees receiving state pension enjoy cost of living increases.

Why in heavens name should someone from Malta or Latvia, for example, give two hoots about your concern.

I am a UK citizen who will be in the situation you describe but do not share your disgust. If you want the pension increases go back to the UK and pay 17.5%VAT on just about everything, double the price for petrol or diesel, council tax, congerstion charges etc etc etc.

Enjoy your better quality of life and stiop whingeing.

What is a congerstion charge?

The OP is correct. Pay the same premiums, get the same benefits.

A congerstion is how a dyslexic spells congestion.

The state pension is not funded exclusively from National Insurance contributions, so your point is invalid. Why do you not ask why someone paying NI contibutions on 50k/year should only get the same state pension as someone earning 15K.

Not fair is it?

I enjoy a good life here in Thailand and am quite content that any increases I would have received were I in the UK should go to those unfortunates who do not enjoy the benefits of low tax Thailand.

Edit by Nakhon1 for spelling

OP wants to have his cake and eat it.

Edited by Nakhon1

What is a congerstion charge?

The OP is correct. Pay the same premiums, get the same benefits.

A congerstion is how a dyslexic spells congestion.

The state pension is not funded exclusively from National Insurance contributions, so your point is invalid. Why do you not ask why someone paying NI contibutions on 50k/year should only get the same stae pension as someone earning 15K.

Not fair is it?

I enjoy a good life here in Thailand and am quite content that any increases I would have received were I in the UK should go to those unfortunates who do not enjoy the benefits of low tax Thailand.

OP wants to have his cake and eat it.

I totally agree with the OP.

I also enjoy a good life here in Thailand but however I worked and payed my dues for 44 years not the 30 years which is coming along now.

I also pay income tax on my 2 pensions which were not "given" to me as I earned them. Also when My state pension comes along in a couple of years or so I will be taxed even more, but again I earned my pension.

Personally I would willingly forgo any pension increases if in turn the UK government would forgo taxing me.

A few years ago I was out of work so I went to the local Job Employment agency and asked what financial help I could obtain after paying my dues for some 40 years. The guy asked if I had income and I told him about my pension and that my alimony was more than twice my income.

He apologised to me but said that as I was self employed and had income he was not permitted to give me anything. He said that there were people in the town who were living with the mother of their children and not married, they had never worked or intended to, or paid any contributions at all, were living in local authority housing and that he HAD to give them money.

That was the day that I decided never more would I live in the UK.

There are immigrants to the UK who have come into the country illegally who get more from the state than I do.

If I want to take my wife to the UK I have to go through a whole load of crap just because she is Thai.

All I would like is my "fair" share of what I have paid into.

I would be happy to pay my tax to Thailand which is where I live and intend to die eventually.

:o:D:D to the UK government.

He said that there were people in the town who were living with the mother of their children and not married, they had never worked or intended to, or paid any contributions at all, were living in local authority housing and that he HAD to give them money.

There are immigrants to the UK who have come into the country illegally who get more from the state than I do.

You should be content that the Income Tax you are paying on your 2 pensions and, in 2 years, your state pension is going to good causes. :o

Me? Living in Thailand has taught me not to give a ######. I come across too many ex-pats who endlessly whinge about the UK. Whats the point? You're here now so loosen your girdles.

So far as making representations to the UK govt about pensions increases - UK expats in OZ have been whinging for years and look where it's got them. And does anyone seriously think the UK Govt would give two hoots what anyone from LOS says. I think we all know what folks back home think of us.

You and I choose to spend a large proportion of our pensions propping up the Thai economy rather than spending it in the UK so it's crass to expect UK to up your pension in line with cost of living or earnings in the UK.

He said that there were people in the town who were living with the mother of their children and not married, they had never worked or intended to, or paid any contributions at all, were living in local authority housing and that he HAD to give them money.

You should be content that the Income Tax you are paying on your 2 pensions and, in 2 years, your state pension is going to good causes. :o

Me? Living in Thailand has taught me not to give a ######. I come across too many ex-pats who endlessly whinge about the UK. Whats the point? You're here now so loosen your girdles.

So far as making representations to the UK govt about pensions increases - UK expats in OZ have been whinging for years and look where it's got them. And does anyone seriously think the UK Govt would give two hoots what anyone from LOS says. I think we all know what folks back home think of us.

You and I choose to spend a large proportion of our pensions propping up the Thai economy rather than spending it in the UK so it's crass to expect UK to up your pension in line with cost of living or earnings in the UK.

Toni Blair will be proud of you.

[All I would like is my "fair" share of what I have paid into.

I would be happy to pay my tax to Thailand which is where I live and intend to die eventually.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that you can do this under the Double Taxation treaty the U.K. has with Thailand.

It may be a tad idealistic, but I would much prefer my taxes to contribute to the infrastructure of the country I want to live in rather than the country I no longer wish to live in.

I think it would only be crass to expect the U.K. to top up pensions in line with cost of living in Thailand.

What proportion do you expect to be spending after 10-20 years of local inflation with no pension increase?

If the U.K. government is granting selective increases purely on the basis of geographical location, it's unjustified and unfair.

[All I would like is my "fair" share of what I have paid into.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that you can do this under the Double Taxation treaty the U.K. has with Thailand.

It may be a tad idealistic, but I would much prefer my taxes to contribute to the infrastructure of the country I want to live in rather than the country I no longer wish to live in.

I am not 100% sure but the Double taxation treaty is for income earned in Thailand.

I did speak to one of my pensions departments and they tell me that they can only pay the pension into a UK bank and the IRS told me that as my pensions were earned through a UK company and the military I had to pay tax at source in the UK.

Nakhon1

You should be content that the Income Tax you are paying on your 2 pensions and, in 2 years, your state pension is going to good causes. rolleyes.gif

What good causes?

Do I not have the right to complain about my pension to the relevant government department.

I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect my pension to to be topped up in line with the cost of living or earnings in the UK as it will be done for ALL EU countries as well as a few more around the world. After all if I were living in the UK it would cost the government more in doctors and hospital visits and all the things that I am ENTITLED TO if if were living in the UK.

Effectively I am saving the UK government more than the pittance that the government calls a pension raise. If I were receiving my pension now it would come to around £15 a month or a whole £180 @ 70 Baht = 12,600 baht a year, BEFORE TAX!!!!!

If you want to go one stage further I have a 2 year old son and if I were in the UK or the EU I could claim child benefit, but not in Thailand, so the government is saving more money.

All I and millions of other UK pensioners would like is equality.

Edited by billd766

I am not 100% sure but the Double taxation treaty is for income earned in Thailand.

Full details of the applicable Double Taxation agreements can be found at:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dtmanual/dt18650+.htm

You are right not to be 100% sure as it covers just about every conceivable scource of income.

Another point the OP can raise with Tony Blair. If you are resident in the UK and are not working or retired you are credited with NI contributions for 5 years from 60-64. These count as qualifying years and can bring you up to, or nearer, the 44 years needed for the full state pension. If you live in Thailand you aren't.

If you live in Spain, for instance you do not have to pay UK taxes on your pensions but instead are required to declare the income to the Spanish tax authorities. No prizes for guessing how many expats do.

If you live in Thailand you pay UK taxes

These are small prices we pay for living in paradise.

What is iniquitous is that if you retire to the Philippines (and some other countries) your pension increases each year, whereas if you stay in Thailand (or Australia, or some other countries) it is frozen the day you get it.

There is no logic to the current situation, and this is what the retirees in Aus. have been complaining about. I believe they are taking the case to the European Court.

G

Edited by grtaylor

As a UK retiree due to move permanently to Thailand next year, I support the idea advanced in the first post. However, ministers who invite comments are only going through the motions of "consulting". It is only actions of a collective nature, like that of the Australians, which have any chance of achieving anything.

The essential fact in the UK is that any government there is under extreme budget pressure these days, given everybody's wishes and expectations for government benefits and programmes, and expats like us abroad, drawing UK state pensions, don't bring any votes. They don't need to listen to us.

Regarding expat contributions to UK state pension.. what Class do you pay?

I can't remember what Class but it is exactly 10 pounds 50 pence per month. Does that sound correct?

I received something in the post that said since the changes this may be too much..but frankly it's fine by me. My concern is it may not be enough to get a regular state pension. Anyone know?

Just had a quick shufti of my contributions which I assume since i am "on the toil" over here are classified at Class 1 (stand to attention laddie )and amount to an average of £270 a month :o

Wot with me old income tax and supp pension contributions I wave bye bye to just over a £1k a month... :D but its better than being on the dole....

Thats why I tend to drink in Sam Smiths pubs (all over Londons west end ) with their lagers a £1-80 a pint... :D

As a person who has paid National Insurance contributions for over 40 years as well as UK income tax

I am very upset that my pension will be pegged at the initial value

because I live overseas.

I will not be calling upon the National Health Service, or the other social security services.

Surely I should receive a bonus rather than a penalty!!! :o:D

As a person who has paid National Insurance contributions for over 40 years as well as UK income tax

I am very upset that my pension will be pegged at the initial value

because I live overseas.

I will not be calling upon the National Health Service, or the other social security services.

Surely I should receive a bonus rather than a penalty!!! :o:D

This is the thing I'm a bit confused by. Since you pay around 25 pounds per month and I pay only 10, I wonder whether your Class of payment is for access to the NHS? But given you're not there to access it, should you be paying only 10 like me? Mine is also self-employed contribution..

I only want access to the full pension (when and if that ever happens!) but not the other stuff

At a Glance info on National Insurance

National Insurance Contributions, Retirement Pension Forecasts and advice for those abroad

If you are going from the United Kingdom (UK) to work or live abroad or have worked or lived in the UK but now live outside the UK, HMRC Residency can provide you with the following services: -

UK National Insurance Liability

Voluntary National Insurance Contributions and How to Pay from Abroad

Mariners

Retirement Pension Forecasts

The paperwork:

What forms do I need?

Benefits

Contact Information

News

With effect from 1 January 2007 Bulgaria and Romania will join the European Union.

If you cannot find what you are looking for on the web site, or if there is any doubt, please contact the Online Service Helpdesk at:

Email

Telephone 0845 60 55 999

Opening times

08.00 and 20.00 7 days a week (Closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day)

Minicom 0845 366 7805

Fax 0845 366 7828

Applications for E101 forms – when employees are working in two (or more) EEA countries

A new application form CA8421 is available for employees working in two or more EEA countries but you should also read Further information about the circumstances in which you can continue to pay UK National Insurance contributions whilst working in two (or more) EEA countries.

UK National Insurance Liability

We can tell you if you have to pay UK National Insurance Contributions for any period that you have worked, or will work, outside the UK as either an employee or a self-employed person.

If you do have to pay UK National Insurance Contributions for a period you have worked outside the UK;

In a European Economic Area country we will give you a certificate (normally a E101 or E102)

In a Reciprocal Agreement Country (except for New Zealand) we will give you a certificate applicable to that country.

These certificates mean that you will not normally have to pay contributions to the other country's social security scheme.

Voluntary National Insurance Contributions and How to Pay from Abroad

We can tell you if you can pay UK Voluntary National Insurance Contributions for a period spent outside the UK and how much you need to pay

Voluntary National Insurance Contributions are paid to protect entitlement to UK National Insurance Benefits such as state retirement pension.

There are special agreements with European Economic Area countries and Reciprocal Agreement Countries about benefits.

There are leaflets that tell you more and we would advise that you read them first before you decide whether to pay. If you do decide to pay then you should complete the application form at the back of the leaflet:

NI38 Social Security Abroad

How to Pay from abroad

Voluntary Payment of Contributions by Workers Posted Abroad

Workers who are sent to work abroad by their employers in countries not covered by EC or Reciprocal Agreements have to pay Class 1 contributions for the first 52 weeks that they work abroad where certain conditions are satisfied. Once the 52 weeks have come to an end the guidance and advice that we provide indicates that these employees should pay Class 3 contributions.

Following a review of the legislation these employees can pay either Class 2 or 3 contributions currently £2.10 or £7.35 per week respectively, provided they satisfy the criteria listed below. In view of the fact that our guidance and advice indicated that only Class 3 contributions could be paid, those posted workers who have paid Class 3 contributions can apply to have the contributions converted from Class 3 to Class 2, and any balance refunded. This will apply for Class 3 contributions payable from April 2000 as Class 2 contributions were more expensive prior to this date.

In order that the contributions can be converted and the balance refunded the following conditions need to have been fulfilled:-

The employer must have a place of business in the UK;

The employee must be ordinarily resident in the UK;

Immediately before commencement of the employment abroad the employee was resident in the UK;

The employee has paid Class 1 NICs for 52 weeks whilst abroad and

From April 2000 the employee has been paying or has paid Class 3 contributions whilst working abroad.

If these conditions are all satisfied the employee should write in and ask for conversion of Class 3 contributions paid to Class 2 and a refund of any balance and to pay Class 2 contributions for the remainder of their period of posting abroad:-

The employee should give the following details:-

Name, National Insurance Number and address both in the UK and abroad.

Employer details.

Period abroad start and finish date (if applicable).

A completed application form to pay Class 2 voluntary contributions (CF83) available in leaflet NI 38 Social Security Abroad, if they are still working abroad and now wish to pay Class 2 contributions.

Replies should be sent to:-

HM Revenue & Customs

HMRC Residency(Newcastle)

Longbenton

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE98 1ZZ

United Kingdom.

HMRC ResidencyHelpline (Newcastle):

From the UK

Telephone 0845 9154811

Fax 0845 9157800

From outside the UK

Dial international code then;

Telephone 44-191-2037010

Fax 44-191-2257800

How to Pay from abroad

Mariners

If you are a Mariner you can find further information about your National Insurance position on our National Insurance for Mariners pages.

Retirement Pension Forecasts

We can provide Retirement Pension Forecasts for people who are outside the UK or are about to go outside the UK (if the person is not within 4 months of UK retirement pension age). This will tell you;

How much state Retirement Pension you can expect to get based on the UK National Insurance you have already paid;

If you can pay voluntary UK National Insurance Contributions to increase your State Retirement Pension;

How much your State Retirement Pension could be increased if you pay them.

UK residents can get a state pension forecast from the Pension Service. For further information visit the Pension Service website.

The paperwork: What forms do I need?

All these forms are in PDF format. To view a PDF document you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine. If you require this material in large print or Braille please contact HMRC HMRC Residency.

You can fill in a form on screen and print out the completed form. However, you cannot save a copy of the completed form to your hard disk, and the form cannot be sent online.

Whether you choose to fill in the form on screen or complete it manually, the hard copy must be signed and the form sent to us in the post.

Form Description

CA3638 (PDF 205K) National insurance Contributions - How you can get a Retirement pension Forecast

If you are living abroad (or intend to live abroad in the near future) and would like to receive a Retirement Pension Forecast, you should complete form CA3638 and send it to the address shown on the front of the CA3638. We will then be able to send you a Retirement Pension forecast which will tell you how much Retirement Pension you may expect to receive when you reach State Pension Age. The Forecast will also tell you if your entitlement can be improved. You will not need a Retirement Pension forecast if you are within 4 months of State Pension Age as the Department for Work and Pensions will contact you at this stage. Pages 1-4 of form CA3638 are notes for you to tear off and keep. Pages 5-12 should be filled in and returned by post to the address on the front of the form.

You may also find leaflet NI38 - 'Social Security Abroad (PDF 340K) very useful.

CA3821 (148K) National Insurance Contributions - For employers whose employees are going to work in a European Economic Area (EEA)/Reciprocal Agreement Country

If you have not applied for certificates in the past you must also complete and return the application form CA3821, which asks for details about your company

CA3822 (159K) National Insurance Contributions - Application for a certificate of continuing UK liability, including form E101 -when employees are going to work abroad

If you are sending an employee to work temporarily in a country which is part of the European Economic Area or a country with which the UK has a Reciprocal Agreement on Social Security (see list below), an application form CA3822 must be completed for each individual employee. Each completed CA3822 should be returned to the address shown on page 5 of the CA3822. The information that you give us on the CA3822 will be used to see if the employee can continue to pay UK National Insurance contributions when working in the other country. If the employee can continue to pay UK National Insurance contributions a certificate will be issued.

Reminder: All new companies must submit the CA3821 Employers Questionnaire shown above

CA3837 (158K) National Insurance Contributions - Application for form E101 when a self-employed person goes to work in the European Economic Area (EEA).

If you are registered self-employed, are going to work in a country which is part of the European Economic Area and you wish to continue to be liable to pay UK National Insurance contributions, please complete the CA3837 application form and return it to the address shown on the front of the CA3837.

Important information for self-employed persons going to European Economic Area countries

If you can continue to pay UK National Insurance contributions a form E101 will be issued.

CA8421

(276k) Application for form E101 when an employee is employed in two or more countries of the EEA

You can request other leaflets not available for download by filing in a simple form below.

Benefits

If you are abroad and need help with an enquiry about the payment of benefits, you should contact:

Department for Work and Pensions

Pensions Service

Tyneview Park,

Whitley Road,

Benton,

Newcastle upon Tyne.

NE98 1BA.

United Kingdom

Further information is available from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP, formerly DSS) website.

If you are going to live or you are living in another European Union (EU) country (see list below) after employment in the UK and you make a claim to benefit under that country's scheme, under certain circumstances your UK National Insurance contributions may help your claim.

If a record of your UK contributions is needed by the authorities in the other country to decide your claim they will contact the HM Revenue and Customs HMRC Residency(Newcastle) on your behalf to obtain details of your UK insurance record.

The foreign authority may, exceptionally, ask you to get either a Certificate E104 which shows insurance for sickness and maternity purposes or an E301 which shows insurance for unemployment purposes. If the foreign authority asks you to do that, please complete form CA 3916 and return it to the address shown on the front. It would be useful if you could send copies of your last pay slip and any P60 certificates you hold with the CA3916 when making your application. This is because it may be necessary to get in touch with the employers you used to work for in the UK before a certificate can be sent.

Please note your claim will be decided using the other country's rules: it will not be decided under UK rules. You should also note that form E301 does not give you any automatic right to receive unemployment benefit in another EU country.

European Economic Area Countries

Austria

Belgium

Bulgaria ***

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Iceland

Republic of Ireland

Italy

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Lithuania

Luxembourg

Malta

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Romania ***

Slovakia

Slovenia *

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland**

** Switzerland is not a member of the EEA, but as a result of an agreement with the EU that came in on 1 June 2002, the EU rules on social security also largely cover Switzerland.

*** Applies from 1st January 2007.

Reciprocal Agreement Countries

Barbados

Bermuda

Bosnia-Hercegovina

Canada

Croatia

Guernsey

Israel

Jamaica

Japan - Further details of the Japan Reciprocal Agreement

Jersey

Macedonia

Mauritius

Montenegro

New Zealand

Philippines

Republic of Korea - Further details of the Republic of Korea Reciprocal Agreement

Serbia

BUT NOT THAILAND> :o

Turkey

USA

Yugoslavia *

*The Slovenia part of the Yugoslavia Reciprocal Agreement has been superseded by the European Community Regulations.

Please see the Department for Work & Pensions website for full details of our Social Security agreements with other countries.

If you wish to order leaflets not available for download please fill in your details below and click on the 'SUBMIT FORM' button

Name: Title:

Forename(s):

Date of Birth:

Address:

Post Code:

Telephone:

Fax:

E-Mail:

Which country do you want a leaflet for Please select Barbados Bermuda Bosnia-Hercegovina Canada Croatia Cyprus Guernsey Iceland Israel Jamaica Jersey Macedonia Malta Mauritius Montenegro New Zealand Philippines Serbia Slovenia Switzerland Turkey USA Yugoslavia

If you require a leaflet on any of the following general subjects, please tick the appropriate box.

National Insurance for Employers of people working abroad

(for employers in the UK sending workers outside the UK)

Healthcare advice for travellers

(for people going outside of the UK)

Contact information:

HMRC ResidencyHelpline

From the UK

Telephone 0845 9154811

Fax 0845 9157800

From outside the UK

Dial international code then;

Telephone 44-191-2037010

Fax 44-191-2257800

Their office opening hours for calls are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

For customers who are unable to call during our opening hours, you may leave a message on our

answering service and we will return your call the next working day.

If you e-mail us, we will endeavour to answer your query as quickly as possible. Please note that Internet e-mail is not secure. This means we will reply by e-mail only where we feel your confidentiality will not be breached. Otherwise, we will e-mail you to explain that we will be replying fully by letter or by telephone.

You can also write to us at: -

HM Revenue and Customs

HMRC Residency(Newcastle)

Longbenton

Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE98 1ZZ

United Kingdom

© Crown Copyright

:D