I lost 2Kg in one month - its not much ?

Once Bitten

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, tropo said:

I disagree. 2kg per month, if it is a genuine fat loss, is perfect. If you can steadily lose that much, you won't be so prone to bounce back, and compliance will be easier. The only problem is that most people can fluctuate a kilogram or two throughout the day from food and liquid consumption, so it's difficult to determine if the weight loss is fat or just fluids and bowel content. Daily measurements on a graph will help with that.

well for me it's not a result

1 hour ago, MuntyC0re said:

well for me it's not a result

Of course, that would depend on how much you're trying to lose. 2kg a month is 24kg in a year is a lot of fat to lose. Put 24kg of pure fat in a bucket and see how much that is. The problem is if you want to do it quickly it will impact your health more and you're likely to lose muscle too on severely calorie restricted diets.

I would recommend you stop thinking about "weight loss" and start thinking "fat loss". You need to have an accurate way to determine your body composition.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

And what is the difference, isn't sodium chloride sodium chloride. 

Natural salt is a lot more than sodium chloride. It has about 100 trace minerals. Regular table salt is not pure sodium chloride either as it has additional anti-caking and free-flowing agents, plus some added iodine. Natural salts have LESS sodium chloride than regular table salt. They taste sweeter.

Here's an example, giving the chemical analysis or Real Salt:

http://realsalt.redmond.life/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/05/Real-Salt-Analysis.pdf

and some information on regular table salt:

http://realsalt.redmond.life/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/05/Real-Salt-Analysis.pdf

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Is that 1 or 2 mm, or half. No way could you notice half a mm change.

Meaning what? You can't see 0.5 mm changes in body fat? Of course not. That's only for the purpose of analysing your fat thickness using callipers.

14 hours ago, tropo said:

Of course, that would depend on how much you're trying to lose. 2kg a month is 24kg in a year is a lot of fat to lose. Put 24kg of pure fat in a bucket and see how much that is. The problem is if you want to do it quickly it will impact your health more and you're likely to lose muscle too on severely calorie restricted diets.

I would recommend you stop thinking about "weight loss" and start thinking "fat loss". You need to have an accurate way to determine your body composition.

Yes if you lose muscle during a diet your making it hard on yourself. Muscle are partly responsible for your metabolic rate. If you lose muscle then later on your metabolic rate will be lower (meaning you have to eat less to keep that weight as someone who did not lose that muscle). 

Its all about fat loss not muscle loss, and yes you need an accurate way to determine it. At a lower rate of loss you have less chance to burn muscle instead of fat. Its also useful to add some strength training if possible. I am now experimenting with refeeds. I have around 4 kg (maybe) to lose and am taking 2 more months for it. 

I am on a caloric deficit 6 days a week and one day I eat controlled more. Just more of the healthy stuff and more cabs. I have read it helps against the slowdown that normally occurs during diets. It also pays to keep proteins high when restricting calories. 1 gram maybe 1,5 (if you are worried 1 gram is not enough or put a lot of stress on the muscle)per kilo of body-weight. There have been quite a few studies that show that people who keep protein high lose less muscle, by doing strength training too you can preserve even more muscles.  

If your an absolute beginner of strength training you could even add some muscle (will mess up your weight loss but your fat loss goes on). But this only happens with true beginners or those on anabolic compounds. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, robblok said:

Yes if you lose muscle during a diet your making it hard on yourself. Muscle are partly responsible for your metabolic rate. If you lose muscle then later on your metabolic rate will be lower (meaning you have to eat less to keep that weight as someone who did not lose that muscle). 

Its all about fat loss not muscle loss, and yes you need an accurate way to determine it. At a lower rate of loss you have less chance to burn muscle instead of fat. Its also useful to add some strength training if possible. I am now experimenting with refeeds. I have around 4 kg (maybe) to lose and am taking 2 more months for it. 

I am on a caloric deficit 6 days a week and one day I eat controlled more. Just more of the healthy stuff and more cabs. I have read it helps against the slowdown that normally occurs during diets. It also pays to keep proteins high when restricting calories. 1 gram maybe 1,5 (if you are worried 1 gram is not enough or put a lot of stress on the muscle)per kilo of body-weight. There have been quite a few studies that show that people who keep protein high lose less muscle, by doing strength training too you can preserve even more muscles.  

If your an absolute beginner of strength training you could even add some muscle (will mess up your weight loss but your fat loss goes on). But this only happens with true beginners or those on anabolic compounds. 

Fasting, intermittent and longer periods has been scientifically proven to not slow metabolism or decrease muscle mass.  Plenty of good youtube now with Jason Fung and Varraday and the creator of 5-2 with blood testing etc. that proves this out. 

Its easy once you get the hang of it.  I don't know of any go slow approach with restricted calories that doesn't use up some muscle mass.

1 minute ago, dontoearth said:

Fasting, intermittent and longer periods has been scientifically proven to not slow metabolism or decrease muscle mass.  Plenty of good youtube now with Jason Fung and Varraday and the creator of 5-2 with blood testing etc. that proves this out. 

Its easy once you get the hand of it.  I don't know of any go slow approach with restricted calories that doesn't use up some muscle mass.

That depends on how much protein you ingest if you lose muscle or not and if you workout with weights.

As for the not slowing down, i would not be so sure of that long term caloric restrictions without refeed have in many studies shown slowdown of metabolic rate. I see no reason why the same would not be true for intermittent fasting. The body adapts to the lower caloric setting that is where refeeds come in. You are free to believe what you want and so am I. 

Thing is you take everything what the creator of such a program says for truth. I prefer independent studies because its easy just to select studies that show what you want and neglect others (that is what a lot of these guys do).  Anyway your body your choice just as this is my choice and backed up by studies I seen, i seen this from multiple different sources. 

There is even a forum that won't discuss intermittent fasting anymore because the people supporting it are not open for debate and just flood the forum. (bodyrecomposition forum of lyle mc donald) I am always wary of these kind of things.

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

That depends on how much protein you ingest if you lose muscle or not and if you workout with weights.

As for the not slowing down, i would not be so sure of that long term caloric restrictions without refeed have in many studies shown slowdown of metabolic rate. I see no reason why the same would not be true for intermittent fasting. The body adapts to the lower caloric setting that is where refeeds come in. You are free to believe what you want and so am I. 

Thing is you take everything what the creator of such a program says for truth. I prefer independent studies because its easy just to select studies that show what you want and neglect others (that is what a lot of these guys do).  Anyway your body your choice just as this is my choice and backed up by studies I seen, i seen this from multiple different sources. 

There is even a forum that won't discuss intermittent fasting anymore because the people supporting it are not open for debate and just flood the forum. (bodyrecomposition forum of lyle mc donald) I am always wary of these kind of things.

There just isn't opposing science in the IF debate as the old wives' tales of starvation, muscle loss, and death keep most researchers away!   Although they have no problem repeating these unsubstantiated claims in their publications. Since there is zero profit in fasting.  No health food bars, protein drinks, etc. you won't see private industry jumping on board.  No drugs to prescribe so you are not going to get medical doctors or big pharma to help out.

Anyway, there is more than enough evidence about slowing body metabolism and muscle loss with caloric restriction to keep me away from that option.  Your supposition caloric restriction and fasting would both do the same is a good one.  It is not borne out by detailed case studies, however!  Strange things is blood draws and metabolic measurements from the National Science Foundation are sort of hard to shrug off....

And so few people really measure their results beyond a weight scale most people never know.

22 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

There just isn't opposing science in the IF debate as the old wives' tales of starvation, muscle loss, and death keep most researchers away!   Although they have no problem repeating these unsubstantiated claims in their publications. Since there is zero profit in fasting.  No health food bars, protein drinks, etc. you won't see private industry jumping on board.  No drugs to prescribe so you are not going to get medical doctors or big pharma to help out.

Anyway, there is more than enough evidence about slowing body metabolism and muscle loss with caloric restriction to keep me away from that option.  Your supposition caloric restriction and fasting would both do the same is a good one.  It is not borne out by detailed case studies, however!  Strange things is blood draws and metabolic measurements from the National Science Foundation are sort of hard to shrug off....

And so few people really measure their results beyond a weight scale most people never know.

I have just looked it up there are NO studies backing up the claim that intermittent fasting does NOT slow down metabolic rate.

So you can't claim what your claiming as there is no data to back it up. It is only logical that it would too slow down the metabolic rate. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-metabolism#section5

That is why I don't believe the hype, its not researched and those profiting like Dr Fong could fund research if they wanted too. But i guess its better not to fund it as it might destroy the hype.

The evidence on refeed is also not that strong some suggest a 1 day refeed is not enough (makes sense). Others suggest it is but it has not been proven either just like your claims.

So in the end its just what do you believe and what do you want to try. 

My point is there is no evidence that caloric restriction from intermittent fasting is treated any different then a caloric restriction from an other diet. People can say a lot but there is no proof and it also makes NO sense.  (long term )

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I have just looked it up there are NO studies backing up the claim that intermittent fasting does NOT slow down metabolic rate.

So you can't claim what your claiming as there is no data to back it up. It is only logical that it would too slow down the metabolic rate. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-metabolism#section5

That is why I don't believe the hype, its not researched and those profiting like Dr Fong could fund research if they wanted too. But i guess its better not to fund it as it might destroy the hype.

The evidence on refeed is also not that strong some suggest a 1 day refeed is not enough (makes sense). Others suggest it is but it has not been proven either just like your claims.

So in the end its just what do you believe and what do you want to try. 

My point is there is no evidence that caloric restriction from intermittent fasting is treated any different then a caloric restriction from an other diet. People can say a lot but there is no proof and it also makes NO sense.  (long term )

Your link says there are a number of studies which prove intermittent fasting does not reduce metabolism.  ?????

4 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Your link says there are a number of studies which prove intermittent fasting does not reduce metabolism.  ?????

You should read better, long term is what I am talking about. 

One small study showed that losing weight on an alternate-day fasting diet did not reduce metabolism over 22 days (17).

However, currently there is no quality research available looking at the long-term effects of intermittent fasting diets on metabolic rate.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

You should read better, long term is what I am talking about. 

One small study showed that losing weight on an alternate-day fasting diet did not reduce metabolism over 22 days (17).

However, currently there is no quality research available looking at the long-term effects of intermittent fasting diets on metabolic rate.

There were several positive studies of fasting in that link.  Anyway, dropping out of this conversation entirely.

You may know already, but one weight check in a day is in no way accurate, your weight can fluctuate by 2kg throughout the day due to water and food, you need to weight yourself a few times throughout the day and work from the average.  If you think about it, you think you lost 2kg, but if you had of weighed yourself after you drank 2 beers you would have thought you only lost 1kg, unless you had of peed inbetween.  Also weight is not everything, you are excising and eating protein, you will not only burn fat but also build muscle mass, which is heavy.  And then there is water retention, which is different in different people, differs due to what we eat and do and can change rapidly, its impossible to take fully into account.  Best to not worry about your weight but concentrate on the measures that are directly indicative of health, such as resting pulse rate, blood pressure, your sleep pattern and also do not ignore your own feeling of your health, it may be the best indicator of all, and I bet you are feeling better after a month of eating right and doing exercise.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

You may know already, but one weight check in a day is in no way accurate, your weight can fluctuate by 2kg throughout the day due to water and food, you need to weight yourself a few times throughout the day and work from the average.  If you think about it, you think you lost 2kg, but if you had of weighed yourself after you drank 2 beers you would have thought you only lost 1kg, unless you had of peed inbetween.  Also weight is not everything, you are excising and eating protein, you will not only burn fat but also build muscle mass, which is heavy.  And then there is water retention, which is different in different people, differs due to what we eat and do and can change rapidly, its impossible to take fully into account.  Best to not worry about your weight but concentrate on the measures that are directly indicative of health, such as resting pulse rate, blood pressure, your sleep pattern and also do not ignore your own feeling of your health, it may be the best indicator of all, and I bet you are feeling better after a month of eating right and doing exercise.

One measurement at the same time every day is all you need. Map it on here and you'll see a trendline that doesn't fluctuate wildly.

http://www.weightgrapher.com

14 hours ago, tropo said:

One measurement at the same time every day is all you need. Map it on here and you'll see a trendline that doesn't fluctuate wildly.

Right when i weigh myself its usually in the morning after a pee. That way i am sure to get a reasonable measurement. Still, he is right that what you ate influences your weight a lot. I am not talking about overeating.. but eat too salt or more carbs then normal and you will see it on the scales.

17 hours ago, tropo said:

The lazy man's approach is to weigh-in about once a month.  If you don't see a trend line then you are definitely not making progress.  :)  LOL.  ROFL!

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Right when i weigh myself its usually in the morning after a pee. That way i am sure to get a reasonable measurement. Still, he is right that what you ate influences your weight a lot. I am not talking about overeating.. but eat too salt or more carbs then normal and you will see it on the scales.

All those variables will always fluctuate. That's life as a human. When you work on a trend line created by the app I linked they are all smoothed out. My wife uses this every day. On rare occasions, she's measured as much as 1kg above the trend line. 0.5kg is quite common. Bear in mind she only weighs 40kg, so that's quite a big daily fluctuation. She has also come in with unusually low readings, as much as 0.5kg below the trendline or a full kg lower than the previous reading. These big fluctuations will only move the trend line slightly and balance out. If she notices the trendline going up she will eat a bit less. On this app, you can leave notes for every daily inputted weight, so if, for example, you have a high day you can leave a note that you visited a buffet or ate too much of this or that... or took some medicine, which can also influence weight. For females, the menstrual cycle influences it too.

By using this app she lost 5kg in 5 months and has kept her weight exactly on target for 4 months since. Apart from a minor adjustment in how much rice she consumed, "eating less" was her weight loss diet. No calories were counted. This relates closely to the 2kg per month loss for a heavier person. Overall an 11% drop in body weight. She held onto her muscle as the weight loss was slow and gradual. Rowing was her main exercise, but she's not very consistent with exercise.

5 hours ago, dontoearth said:

The lazy man's approach is to weigh-in about once a month.  If you don't see a trend line then you are definitely not making progress.  :)  LOL.  ROFL!

I know a lot of people suggest weighing only once a week. The problem is that you could have fluctuated high for one reading and low for another, which could give you the illusion you're lost a lot more than you really have.

I  hardly ever weigh myself these days. I just use the mirror and pinch fat covering my abs... but that's because I'm maintaining, not trying to lose or gain.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Overall an 11% drop in body weight. She held onto her muscle as the weight loss was slow and gradual. Rowing was her main exercise, but she's not very consistent with exercise.

This is an incredible achievement!  Dropping 11% in body weight is beyond what most people can do on any program!  Congrats!  Great job!  I am truly impressed! 

2 hours ago, dontoearth said:

This is an incredible achievement!  Dropping 11% in body weight is beyond what most people can do on any program!  Congrats!  Great job!  I am truly impressed! 

It was my wife, but with my guidance. A number of people are suggesting 2kg per month is not a lot of fat to lose, but even a 100 kg person will reduce to 90 kg (10% loss) in only 5 months at that rate. I think it's about the most anyone should try to lose per month.

15 hours ago, tropo said:

All those variables will always fluctuate. That's life as a human. When you work on a trend line created by the app I linked they are all smoothed out. My wife uses this every day. On rare occasions, she's measured as much as 1kg above the trend line. 0.5kg is quite common. Bear in mind she only weighs 40kg, so that's quite a big daily fluctuation. She has also come in with unusually low readings, as much as 0.5kg below the trendline or a full kg lower than the previous reading. These big fluctuations will only move the trend line slightly and balance out. If she notices the trendline going up she will eat a bit less. On this app, you can leave notes for every daily inputted weight, so if, for example, you have a high day you can leave a note that you visited a buffet or ate too much of this or that... or took some medicine, which can also influence weight. For females, the menstrual cycle influences it too.

By using this app she lost 5kg in 5 months and has kept her weight exactly on target for 4 months since. Apart from a minor adjustment in how much rice she consumed, "eating less" was her weight loss diet. No calories were counted. This relates closely to the 2kg per month loss for a heavier person. Overall an 11% drop in body weight. She held onto her muscle as the weight loss was slow and gradual. Rowing was her main exercise, but she's not very consistent with exercise.

Well done by your wife and putting it in percentage was a good idea because 5 kg does not sound much but it is a lot if your not big or not have much to lose. I am now stepping on the scales once a day in the morning. The results are a bit scary, as in going to well from my point of view. That is a bit strange as that normally does not happen with me when losing weight. I would say it would happen at the beginning of a program not when your already on it a month. One explanation can be (in my case) i finally found the right medicine to take care of my urinating problem and i sleep much deeper and better. 

The results I am seeing on my body are nice to say the least, i am really tempted to try to go to try to achieve a lower bodyfat as before. I am not sure if that will work as this speed up of weight loss might be temporary. So far i do think that a few things that I am doing having a positive effect. Will write down more about this in a week when i can see if the rate of weight loss is holding or not. I am aiming for half a kg but I am way above it.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

It was my wife, but with my guidance. A number of people are suggesting 2kg per month is not a lot of fat to lose, but even a 100 kg person will reduce to 90 kg (10% loss) in only 5 months at that rate. I think it's about the most anyone should try to lose per month.

Id sign up for a 2 kg constant loss, because the best motivator in any diet / training program is progress. Even when progress is slow its progress. Its so much easier to stick to a diet when you see the scales moving. There is nothing more frustrating then a plateau and that is what breaks people their effort and diet.

Getting ready for my farmers walk again, have a sweat headband (needed as i sweat a lot and hate sweat on my glasses). Also got some sweat wrist bands as my arms sweat a lot too and that sweat will otherwise go to my hands that I have chalked with liquid chalk effectively washing it and my grip away. I still have to apply the chalk 2 to 3 times during my 5 1/2 round. I will soon make that 6 rounds and then start adding 1 or 2 kg per weight for my rounds. 

I keep my protein quite high 1,5 times body weight (kg) use casein(flavored tastes good)  and whey concentrate (no flavor taste crap) to keep the calories low but protein high. I keep my carbs not too low so i can still preform in the gym. But over the week you see my weight go down because of carb depletion and then go up a bit when I refeed with carbs. So part of the weight i lose during a week is water (and gain it back at refeed). 

I am really interested to see how it goes, its bad but the higher rate has motivated me more (not to cut more calories) but to keep it up. I might even increase calories a bit as i then have something to cut once i reach a plateau (would be foolish to think there wont be any)

@tropo,

Your wife must have been annoyed gaining weight.. she is not the type to gain weight. 

I am happy about one thing, my scales keep a log from years back.. so i can see what my normal weight is as it slowly creeped up with a few kg through the years (no doubt mainly muscle). 

I can't tell you how different it is for me now compared to the months before now that i changed my training, and last week found the right medicine for my bladder. I have energy again, mood again my training sessions are going well. Hunger too but found a (bad) trick to combat that. 

8 hours ago, tropo said:

My weight loss has been a DROP and then STOP and then DROP activity.  I don't get any steady results out of it.  The first drop was dramatic and each additional drop has been less.  I did read on a few message board this is quite normal for some people so I would not get too hung up on how the weight comes off.  When the stop periods are long perhaps 2 months or more I look for a new technique to put into the mix.  

I have not had any regain at all in the last 2 years. The weight loss is staying off so that makes me happy even if I have to face these plateau periods in weight loss.  And I am closing in on my weight goal and I have improved my metabolic health not needing BP meds.  My measures in muscle mass have increased and body fat has decreased.  I never put goals together for that because I never had accurate measurements before.  As I get to my weight goal I may indeed put together some additional body shape goals.  I never thought I would get to such a phase.

And I probably need to stop being a cheap ass and get new clothes.  I got rid of my waist size 40" and then got rid of the waist size 38" and then got rid of the waist size 36".  I keep hanging on to the 34" but my belt is at the last notch and the pants look like crap on me.  I noticed my body is not filling out the 34" correctly. I look like I have bones for a butt so time to think about 33". Maybe 32" and wonder if I need to save any of the 34" waist size pants for anything?  I keep putting this off thinking there will be a weight rebound.  I am starting to think I won't face that with my techniques.

Again, congrats to your wife.  It must be pleasing to see a steady drop and less worrisome than the way I am experiencing it.

6 hours ago, dontoearth said:

My weight loss has been a DROP and then STOP and then DROP activity.  I don't get any steady results out of it.  The first drop was dramatic and each additional drop has been less.  I did read on a few message board this is quite normal for some people so I would not get too hung up on how the weight comes off.  When the stop periods are long perhaps 2 months or more I look for a new technique to put into the mix.  

I have not had any regain at all in the last 2 years. The weight loss is staying off so that makes me happy even if I have to face these plateau periods in weight loss.  And I am closing in on my weight goal and I have improved my metabolic health not needing BP meds.  My measures in muscle mass have increased and body fat has decreased.  I never put goals together for that because I never had accurate measurements before.  As I get to my weight goal I may indeed put together some additional body shape goals.  I never thought I would get to such a phase.

And I probably need to stop being a cheap ass and get new clothes.  I got rid of my waist size 40" and then got rid of the waist size 38" and then got rid of the waist size 36".  I keep hanging on to the 34" but my belt is at the last notch and the pants look like crap on me.  I noticed my body is not filling out the 34" correctly. I look like I have bones for a butt so time to think about 33". Maybe 32" and wonder if I need to save any of the 34" waist size pants for anything?  I keep putting this off thinking there will be a weight rebound.  I am starting to think I won't face that with my techniques.

Again, congrats to your wife.  It must be pleasing to see a steady drop and less worrisome than the way I am experiencing it.

I fit 34" shorts these days. The waist is fine, and I could even go for a smaller size, but my legs are usually too big to fit comfortably... therefore I need to go bigger and use a belt.

The only successful way of pumping up the glutes that I know of is lots of squats with weight... and to activate the glutes you need to get down to at least parallel... the lower the better. It's a big muscle that takes a lot of hard work. That's why most older people lose their butts because the knees crap out and deep squats become impossible. Bad knees = no butt. If your knees are still good, you have no excuse. Give up all the girlie exercises like leg presses and leg extensions and SQUAT like man. LOL. I squat with knee arthritis, so what's your excuse? - get in there and do it. If you can't squat heavy, squat lighter for high reps.

7 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I think your drop and stop is quite normal, i have experienced it too during my year of weight-loss. I also kept holding on to clothes as i worried about a rebound that never happened. Rebounds did happen a few kg.. the one I experienced now was extreme normally nothing like that happens.

Yea you should find some body shape goals because after the fat loss you will still have to maintain it. So why not slowly build a bit of muscle then. It might screw a bit with your mind (it did to me to see my weight go up again) But once you realize its not fat you will be ok.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

@tropo,

Your wife must have been annoyed gaining weight.. she is not the type to gain weight. 

The weight increase coincided with taking the pill. She gave that up because it was also causing melasma on her face, which caused a lot more stress than the weight gain. It also cost a fortune on very expensive creams to try to get rid of it - all in vain. Also, a long visit to her family in PI put the weight on, because her mother was force feeding her LOL. Thought she was far too skinny and wanted to beef her up like her sisters. Like usual, the weight creeps up on you unaware until you realise you have to do something about it. 5kg doesn't sound like much, but at 5' tall and 40kg normal weight, it's a lot. She realises now how hard it is to lose it, so she won't let it happen again. Using the scale every day is essential.

Archived