Yaris or Mirage or March ?

sunny747

I'm not sure if they have more eco car in this range beside these three models. I need a car that is fuel efficient. I'll be mostly driving in Bangkok, occasionally may tour outside. It is just me and my wife. i have test driven the new Mirage , i loved it. lot of space and technically sound the most fuel efficient. I also i have seen on youtube their entertainment system comes with "android play" which is rare for this range but not sure if it is available in Thailand. i'll wait for motor show in dec.

Yaris, this model has been there for a while now but i'm not sure if they will have redesigned model for 2017 ? same as march, i have seen the new micra in European retail which looks drop dead gorgeous. But i doubt it will be available in Thailand this year as i need to replace my car this year.

so what you guys suggest if any of you are current owner of these cars? any suggestions are welcome.....

cheers.

The cars that are considered eco car are as such:

Mitsubishi Mirage

Mitsubishi Atrrage (The Sedan Version of Mirage)

Nissan March 

Nissan Almera (Sedan)

Toyota Yaris 

Mazda 2 (The most expensive of the lot)

Suzuki Swift (Good drive but overpriced IMHO)

Suzuki Ciaz (Loads of space for a very good price)

I may have missed one or 2, but the most important when picking a car is to go test drive it. I had the Mitsubishi Attrage. It was very fuel efficient and had a lot of space for a family (2 adult one small kid) 

The steering was very light which is great if you drive around city or want to drive gently. The suspension IMHO is not that great though and the noise insulation was terrible... You cannot hear each other when it's raining outside! I know the new version of the Mirage (and maybe Attrage) have a collision mitigation system which is first for cars of this class. Which is great for a lady driver, just to be safe. 

I think the yaris is boring to drive..but then again, my opinion is different from yours. I highly that you test drive as much as you can before making a decision! 

I wish you luck! 

The 2016 Mirage impressed the folks at What car magazine, so much so they gave it an eye watering 1/10....

http://www.whatcar.com/mitsubishi/mirage/hatchback/review/

The Nissan March / Micra didn't fair much better:

http://www.whatcar.com/nissan/micra/hatchback/review/

I'd have a look at the Honda Brio - 1200cc 4cyl i vetec engine giving 90hp ....

And of course a Honda badge, giving reliability and re-sale value.

And  - 6/10 from Top gear mag to boot - http://www.topgear.com/india/review-car-home/brio/itemid-54

Just buy the one you like the best, but toyota and honda generally have the best resale value if its important in small sedans

,if you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time it wont make a lot of difference

Edited by madmax2

thanks for the valuable inputs guys. It seems mirage is not so popular and not recommended. 

Today i went to suzuki showroom and checked out swift. i loved it. felt solid and not cheap at all. The manual version quite inexpensive actually. But they didn't let me test drive it. They said none of the swift are allowed to test drive which i felt little funny . 

anybody has any idea the 1.2 lit fuel efficiency of suzuki ? the sales girl said averge 16km in the city. 

thanks

On 11/5/2016 at 5:41 PM, sunny747 said:

thanks for the valuable inputs guys. It seems mirage is not so popular and not recommended. 

Today i went to suzuki showroom and checked out swift. i loved it. felt solid and not cheap at all. The manual version quite inexpensive actually. But they didn't let me test drive it. They said none of the swift are allowed to test drive which i felt little funny . 

anybody has any idea the 1.2 lit fuel efficiency of suzuki ? the sales girl said averge 16km in the city. 

thanks

You won't get 16 km/l in the city. Right now, I'm on gasohol 95 and I've run the fuel consumption meter for 1500km+. I'm getting 15.7km/l. This is mostly driving in Nonthaburi in mixed traffic and two trips to Ratchaburi return. I've also used E10 (14.6 km/l and 14.2 km/l, each on two 1500km trips). E20 is a litte worse. I'm sticking with gasohol 95 as the performnace seems better, as is the fuel economy. You will get abut 20 km/l on the highway at a constant 100 km/h. I have the cvt and the manual version gets better economy. If you like manuals its the one to get. Probably the worse thing about it is the road noise - its more noisy than my honda civic, but still not bad for a cheap car. Change the eco tires too. The suck. I put on 205/50/16 on the stock rims and its much better under braking and in the wet.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:41 PM, sunny747 said:

On 11/6/2016 at 6:54 PM, DavisH said:

You won't get 16 km/l in the city. Right now, I'm on gasohol 95 and I've run the fuel consumption meter for 1500km+. I'm getting 15.7km/l. This is mostly driving in Nonthaburi in mixed traffic and two trips to Ratchaburi return. I've also used E10 (14.6 km/l and 14.2 km/l, each on two 1500km trips). E20 is a litte worse. I'm sticking with gasohol 95 as the performnace seems better, as is the fuel economy. You will get abut 20 km/l on the highway at a constant 100 km/h. I have the cvt and the manual version gets better economy. If you like manuals its the one to get. Probably the worse thing about it is the road noise - its more noisy than my honda civic, but still not bad for a cheap car. Change the eco tires too. The suck. I put on 205/50/16 on the stock rims and its much better under braking and in the wet.

thank you so much. word of wisdom in your post. surely will help me to purchase suzuki. right at this moment, i'm leaning towards swift manual gear . I may pull the trigger this coming december and would like to check the motorshow for promotions. 

it is also annoying to see they don't offer top models on manual gears. 

2 hours ago, sunny747 said:

thank you so much. word of wisdom in your post. surely will help me to purchase suzuki. right at this moment, i'm leaning towards swift manual gear . I may pull the trigger this coming december and would like to check the motorshow for promotions. 

The manual should be fun to drive...but you may also want to consider a jazz mt. It's about 560K baht. Much more power (117 vs 91, but heavier), twin airbags and all round disc brakes....it won't be as economical though;) The jazz has good room inside too, and the seats fold flat.

On 11/8/2016 at 1:31 PM, DavisH said:

The manual should be fun to drive...but you may also want to consider a jazz mt. It's about 560K baht. Much more power (117 vs 91, but heavier), twin airbags and all round disc brakes....it won't be as economical though;) The jazz has good room inside too, and the seats fold flat.

Did you have to wait long time for your swift ? the sales girl told me 1 week but sounds pretty unlikely to me. 

3 hours ago, sunny747 said:

Did you have to wait long time for your swift ? the sales girl told me 1 week but sounds pretty unlikely to me. 

I waited about 7 months, but that was back in 2013 when the first buyer scheme was on (it's actually my wife's car, technically:) 

1 week seems fast but it could depend on their stock and what colours they have. I waited a few months for my honda. 

i just sold my mitsu pickup which i had since new and it was an excellent vehicle. i was looking at the mirage as i dont need a pickup for work any more and parking is a bit tight in the carpark under my new condo. 383 000thb seemed like a good deal. would be good to know if there were any similar alternatives that were cheaper. 383K includes a years insurance but have to pay 5000thb extra if you want white.

On 11/8/2016 at 10:23 AM, sunny747 said:

You won't get 16k/l-----I'm only getting 15.7k/l ????????? HaHaHa Is that a serious input ????????????????

Wife has a 5 year old March and its not great, recently changed clutch and wheel bearings, air conn needs regas every 12 months. Brother inlaw has one too and its got some bearing problems. 

Also have a friend with a 5 year old yaris with a ridiculous amount of kilometers on it, up near 200,000, and it just keeps going.

4 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Yaris  best Bang for your dollar !!

I had the misery of driving a Yaris for a week. it was a new rental with only 1500 miles on it. my Sentra was not returned and i wasn't going to wait 3 hrs at the airport on a holiday weekend. give me what you got, bad mistake. it shaked and rsttled on smooth roads, can't imagine what it would do hear in Thailand. the engine was noisy and had the power of a sick grass cutter. it might work here with no speeding cause it was always the last off the light in new york. i drove it to niagara falls from buffalo and it would change lanes by itself no matter what size car or truck passed it. poor acceleration, cheap interior, get a mitsi or mazda 2. shake rattle and roll !!!!  :sick:

The March is a hideous car.  The Yaris is incredibly reliable but not nice to drive.  It feels top heavy and has an appalling turning circle. However I traded our Yaris for a 990(?)cc Suzuki Alto(Cilerio) and it has been brilliant.  Easily the best value car I have owned.  Over the years I have had may Toyotas and Suzuki and I think the Suzuki are the best of the bunch.  I really like the Swift.

Important to think of the actual cost saving in fuel.

Every extra 1km/litre fuel economy only saves you about 1000B per 10,000km.

A car doing 20km/litre saves 64,000B over 100,000km compared to a car doing 14km/litre (assume cost 30B/litre). Factor that in when comparing purchase price.

22 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

You won't get 16k/l-----I'm only getting 15.7k/l ????????? HaHaHa Is that a serious input ????????????????

If you read, the OP mentioned 'in town' - in Bangkok. I'm on the outskirts - and using 95 petrol. 12-13 km/l would be more common in heavy traffic.

Buy a 2nd hand, three year old BMW 1-series with M-sport package. About 1 million (2 mill new). 5 years warranty (2 years left), 1600cc, does 20km per liter highway,  215hp with a tune (138 org), 50-50 weight balance - fantastic drive (compared to rattling Japanese cars), 8-speed smooth automatic, practical split folding rear seats.. I'ts a BMW.. :)

I am the owner of Nissan March, great little car and more space in it than you think at first sight .

I am a tall person and tried to sit in a Mirage but the seats were not well adjusted for me, more comfortable to sit in the driver seat in the March , it feels more spacious. Can't comment on Yaris but probably similar to March. 

5 hours ago, mortenaa said:

About 1 million (2 mill new)

I think OP is looking for an ECO friendly small car and the prices are much lower , 300-500k range . Nothing wrong with Japanese cars, I have been driving them all my life. 

Buy a 2nd hand, three year old BMW 1-series with M-sport package. About 1 million (2 mill new). 5 years warranty (2 years left), 1600cc, does 20km per liter highway,  215hp with a tune (138 org), 50-50 weight balance - fantastic drive (compared to rattling Japanese cars), 8-speed smooth automatic, practical split folding rear seats.. I'ts a BMW.. :)

What happens after the 2 year warranty runs out? There is a reason people dump them with a year or two warranty left.
Not to mention the horrific depreciation once the warranty is gone.
Bad advice is bad.

6 hours ago, sebastion said:

What happens after the 2 year warranty runs out? There is a reason people dump them with a year or two warranty left.
Not to mention the horrific depreciation once the warranty is gone.
Bad advice is bad.

What you say doesn't make sense. Depreciation is horrific in the first three years, hence the 40-50% rebate of buying a 2nd hand car. People "dump" their cars when they want something else.