How are rings resized in Thailand?

watcharacters

On 11/5/2016 at 6:22 PM, mankondang said:

most goldsmiths when they make a ring smaller. ADD gold to the inside of the ring (usually the palm side), This reduces the inner cross sectional area of the ring to fit the smaller fimger. As previously mentioned, temporary ,"clip on" devices can be used.

Thirty two years in the trade and at the bench and I've never heard of downsizing a ring by adding gold to the inside. I'm not saying it can't be done but what's the point when there are far easier ways?

Edited by riceyummm

On 11/5/2016 at 4:53 PM, joeyg said:

"Is this really the case?     I don't mistrust her at all but somehow it seems wrong to me.     What if the ring is a family heirloom.     Cannot resize?   Can that be?"

Yes your wife is telling you the truth.

Thanks, joeyg.  It was never a matter of the Missus  telling the truth.       It was a matter of possible misunderstanding or misinformation.       This ring has no stones.     It is decorative.

53 minutes ago, riceyummm said:

Thirty two years in the trade and at the bench and I've never heard of downsizing a ring by adding gold to the inside. I'm not saying it can't be done but what's the point when there are far easier ways?

And the procedure for that smaller resizing riceyummm is?     

I've read resizing  to a  smaller size is done by taking away some of the gold.   Is that your experience?    Do you  know if  that's commonly done in Thailand?

If the ring has a uniform profile that is smooth somewhere they just cut out a smidge of the ring circumference and gold soldervit back together file smooth polish and you can't see the line.  It it's a complicated textured shape then I can see them adding a thin shim to the inner diameter to make it smaller.   

Maybe she just wants a new style?

On 11/7/2016 at 9:46 AM, watcharacters said:

I've read resizing  to a  smaller size is done by taking away some of the gold.   Is that your experience?    Do you  know if  that's commonly done in Thailand?

Not necessary to cut gold out for resizing to a smaller size but probably here in Thailand it's done in some places where there's no proper equipment or Goldsmith just a monkey with a saw and some soldering gun.  

14 hours ago, Elkski said:

If the ring has a uniform profile that is smooth somewhere they just cut out a smidge of the ring circumference and gold soldervit back together file smooth polish and you can't see the line.  It it's a complicated textured shape then I can see them adding a thin shim to the inner diameter to make it smaller.   

Maybe she just wants a new style?

Can be done as you say but not necessary and nonsense butchering..

On 11/7/2016 at 10:03 AM, watcharacters said:

Appreciate it if you'll kindly translate for me.      I can only guess a "standing on a soapbox" reference but that's only a guess.

So TV works where you are but Google doesn't? I'll send you a bill for internet search consultation if you would "kindly" forward your address.

IMG_8105.PNG

Edited by csabo

On 11/7/2016 at 9:46 AM, watcharacters said:

A plain wedding band with no design can be pressed to a smaller size with a tool similar to the one pictured.

Bands with stones or engraving, and asymmetrical rings with or without stones are cut, a piece removed, then soldered back together and cleaned up. 

Adding gold to the inside of the ring would be time consuming, expensive, and it would be difficult to make it look good. It may be necessary in a situation that I never came across.

There are mechanical devices made of gold that will open and close back down when the ring is over the knuckle, these are for people with large arthritic knuckles and lots of money. See the picture.

Now that I think about there is a simple way to add gold to the inside of a ring to make it fit tighter but it employs beads rather than slivers or flat sheet. It's strictly for large knuckles on skinny fingers. The beads only change the inside area of the ring a tiny bit but they grab the fleshy underside of the finger and stabilize it somewhat. Fast and cheap, I've done it a hundred times.

I've never watched a Thai goldsmith size a ring down but I can't imagine it's any different.

Ring sizer.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

ring-sizing-beads.jpg

16 hours ago, riceyummm said:

I've never watched a Thai goldsmith size a ring down but I can't imagine it's any different.

Depends on what the Goldsmith owns equipment wise.

I have say that Thai Goldsmith work performed on jewelry l have to admire, some of the small details are of the best craftsmanship l've seen.