How are rings resized in Thailand?

watcharacters

The Missus told me rings are not resized by adding some additional gold to make them smaller.      She says instead one sells the ring to  a shop and buys a new ring.

Is this really the case?     I don't mistrust her at all but somehow it seems wrong to me.     What if the ring is a family heirloom.     Cannot resize?   Can that be?

They can be made larger.  Around 3 months ago my Thai wifi had two of her Thai gold rings made larger.  They first cut the ring and then add in the amount of gold needed to make it the larger size you wanted.   After the resizing you can't see with the naked eye where they added the gold.  Very fair price and only took about 15 minutes per ring...we waited while it was done.

Edited by Pib

Thanks all.

I'm asking about a resizing of a gold ring with the final result of having the ring be made to fit on a smaller finger.  No increase of the ring size  we need a smaller ring.    I guess her body and fingers lost weight.    She's 49 Kg  and tall.

I did say in  the OP that  we look to make the ring smaller...?

If you go to one of the workshops around the lower Silom Road area Bangkok (near Holiday Inn Hotel) you can resize your ring up or down very cheaply.

As an example last week I had a silver ring increased by 3 mm circumference (59 to 62) and it cost me 120 baht.

But the flashier shops will charge more than this.

I had a ring resized to more big. I asked the lady how many days it will take to do. . . . Wait one minute she said, put it a thing like that that measures ring sizes, only this one got hot, then she forced it along the tube till she reached the required size. . . . . She was correct, only took one minute. . . . Amazing, I thought. 

"Is this really the case?     I don't mistrust her at all but somehow it seems wrong to me.     What if the ring is a family heirloom.     Cannot resize?   Can that be?"

Yes your wife is telling you the truth.

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If there are diamonds in the ring I would be very selective to whom I give the ring to work on. 

Indeed. My wife took her ring to a gold shop in Central, Bang Na or enlargement and the work was duly done. Later, we were in a place with UV lighting and noticed that some of the stones were a different colour. Turns out that some of the diamonds had been replaced with glass. A perfect scam. Usually you would never know they'd done it.

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

"The Missus told me rings are not resized by adding some additional gold to make them smaller."

Rings are made smaller by removing gold, as opposed to adding it.  

most goldsmiths when they make a ring smaller. ADD gold to the inside of the ring (usually the palm side), This reduces the inner cross sectional area of the ring to fit the smaller fimger. As previously mentioned, temporary ,"clip on" devices can be used.

I have had old two family rings resized, no problem, in our case smaller – rings for my GF – believe they cut a tiny bit of gold out and reshape the ring, they charged 100 baht for doing it and keept the gold dust (I didn't want it)...

1 hour ago, mankondang said:

most goldsmiths when they make a ring smaller. ADD gold to the inside of the ring (usually the palm side), This reduces the inner cross sectional area of the ring to fit the smaller fimger. As previously mentioned, temporary ,"clip on" devices can be used.

No they don't!

Yes if diamonds on it never let it out if your sight even for 5 seconds.  My wife had her super quality diamond swapped in a flash.  Didn't notice for months but I had hand picked the first one to be inclusion free and all of a sudden we notice it has a carbon veil inside.  What to do then?   It was just a cleaning and at a major USA jewelry chain.  The man stepped behind the wall for 30 seconds we could still see his head.  He must have had an array of sizes lined up waiting to do this.  Probably his own crappy diamonds.  He probably stole 1000$. But did it result in my divorce also?

I also had my wife's ring resized just recently.

We bought the ring in Australia believing we were getting good quality.....fast forward to today, the ring needs to be expanded 3 sizes......4 hours later, and 800 Baht, we got the ring back.....perfect size and a lot "more goldy colour".

They told us that the ring only contained 40% pure gold and they had difficulties fusing the extra gold to increase the size, plus the overall "gold plating" that made it look like new.....so were we ripped off in Oz, or did they do a "switcharoo"' here in Thailand?

I will never know, but so long as the wife is happy.....I am happy.

Cheers.

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

"The Missus told me rings are not resized by adding some additional gold to make them smaller."

Rings are made smaller by removing gold, as opposed to adding it.  

The preferred method is to resize the finger and not the ring.

Rings can be re-sized.  You just need to find a jeweler who will do it.  I had a ring sized down here in Khon Kaen from a size seven to a size six.  The bench jeweler was afraid to size it down to a size 5 because it had "channel set" stones and he was afraid of damaging the stones.  Normally you  can size a ring like that down two sizes without fear of cracking a stone.  I know this because I worked as a bench jeweler in a jewelry store in the US for 12 years.  Some stores will tell you, before you buy the ring, how many sizes a ring like that could be reduced.  In the ring that I had re-sized, here in KhonKaen, the manufacturer had actually stated that the ring could be reduced in size by two sizes, without harming the stones. Here in Khon Kaen, I had to look for a jeweler who would make rings or set stones.  That is usually a good indication that they employ a "Bench Jeweler".  Often times, a store will tell you that they must send the ring off to Bangkok, and that it would take a few days to get the ring back.  Take caution in that instance, get you price quote in writing, because you may be surprised with a higher cost when the ring comes back.  I hope this was helpful.

9 hours ago, Elkski said:

Yes if diamonds on it never let it out if your sight even for 5 seconds.  My wife had her super quality diamond swapped in a flash.  Didn't notice for months but I had hand picked the first one to be inclusion free and all of a sudden we notice it has a carbon veil inside.  What to do then?   It was just a cleaning and at a major USA jewelry chain.  The man stepped behind the wall for 30 seconds we could still see his head.  He must have had an array of sizes lined up waiting to do this.  Probably his own crappy diamonds.  He probably stole 1000$. But did it result in my divorce also?

Well diamonds are a girls best friend... :sick:

15 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If there are diamonds in the ring I would be very selective to whom I give the ring to work on. 

Ask them to take diamond out they can do it in front of you, if there's a Goldsmith in shop.

Claw rings are cut to make smaller but depending on shape of the ring they can be enlarged without added gold depending on how many ring sizes is needed.

18 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

If you go to one of the workshops around the lower Silom Road area Bangkok (near Holiday Inn Hotel) you can resize your ring up or down very cheaply.

As an example last week I had a silver ring increased by 3 mm circumference (59 to 62) and it cost me 120 baht.

But the flashier shops will charge more than this.

go into the jewelry trade center,around the corner from the Holiday inn

If ur talking about a thai gold ring and u need a SMALLER size, just exchange for the right size and pay some extra $$

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. My wife took her ring to a gold shop in Central, Bang Na or enlargement and the work was duly done. Later, we were in a place with UV lighting and noticed that some of the stones were a different colour. Turns out that some of the diamonds had been replaced with glass. A perfect scam. Usually you would never know they'd done it.

Are you sure it wasn't bought that way???