Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

It looks like this survey has only 574 responses.  This seems like pretty far from a valid sample base considering there are tens of thousands ex-pats living here.  It may be of interest anecdotally, but not much beyond that.

For what it's worth, this is my 3rd long term ex-pat venue and so far (third year now) it's easily the best.  Wonderful food, easy going life-style, zero personal safety issues and a respectful culture.  My last venue was Honduras (11 years) where I always had a handgun in easy reach and a scatter gun in a rack at my door.  Life here is very very different in that respect.

Edited by Drjax
additional comment
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 4:13 PM, jobin said:

Vietnam has offered a one year visa for USA, maybe others.  An option, if Cambo not good.  But VN, like China, has bad commie govt, highly restrictive rules but fair food, maybe OK ladies.

If one purely thinks about one's own personal desires then Thailand can be great Sex, beer and food all world class.

But if one thinks on a wider focus, the Commie govts of Vietnam and China care much more about their own people than the military government of Thailand . The fact that I cannot describe the Thai form of government truthfully shows one of the country's ( Thailand)  obvious  weakness. 

I have lived in all 3 countries and although the sex and beer are not always as good as Thailand it is the  the fact that the Vietnamese and Chinese  care about their people which pleases me more. Of course there may be others who argue that Isaan, lanna and Muslim Malay are not Thai people and therefore the military govt does not have to care for them. 

On 11/5/2016 at 10:41 AM, Johnniey said:

I'm every year about half of expats consider leaving the country.

The long-term newbie with 5 years fall off their pink cloud. The long-term expats learn how to have an attitude of gratitude and accept things as they really are.

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

They never were desirable...the darker the skin the more issues you have with them. That's not a racist statement..that is a plain realistic fact.

Edited by freedom4life

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think you're missing the point here

I live here, have done for many years. But I'd be a fool if I didn't consider the options 'if' things took a turn for the worse.

Not missing any point I gave you my exit strategy and you dismissed it as a fantasy for some reason. I live here have done for many years but I am not worried about things that will never happen as far as I'm concerned and if by some miracle it does I have said what we would do.

• Like 1

When they leave ...if they do...then they will learn soon enough if they are happier where ever they moved to or were they happier previously living where they came from.

Opinions and emotions are not valid enough to prove otherwise.

Meantime, we know that many have moved on and then we hear about  their experiences and or sometimes it is confirmed that the other places are not so great and not so much better...as believed.

Sometimes you just have to be happy with what you have at present and do not think too much.

You know...always look on the bright side of life

Edited by gemguy

22 hours ago, Johnniey said:

You really should stop using google translate. I haven't the foggiest what you are on about.

I can understand a German feeling superior and keeping his distance from inferior Thais but most of us  treat other human beings as equals. 

Be careful with Germans, do not offend them ! Remember what happened in 14-18 and 40-45 ...

Still the same people, look at Angela Merkel.

10 minutes ago, gemguy said:

Good points....However if you actually believe that the Khmer Rouge  and the Viet Cong are any better in those respects then let me be the first one to inform you.....You are wrong....lol ...yuk, yuk

Cheers

Sorry....I hadn't realised it was still 1968. :sleep:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnniey said:

How would you know if you can't speak the language? Utter nonsense!  Listen to what?

Can you imagine a Thai going to England and say a similar thing :cheesy:

Clearly you dont listen - nor watch - nor understand. 

7 hours ago, Usernames said:

The visa extension requires an income letter from embassy and a page or two to fill out once per year.  Then, I spend what is admittedly an awful day at Chaeng Wattana getting the extension and multiple re-entry permit.  Other than that, what's the problem?  Every 90 days I don't leave the country, I go online and fill out a 90 day report in five minutes.  Last time they replied with my new 90 day form by the end of the same day I first went online. What are the BIG problems so many people have?  Don't get it. I simply cannot imagine that it is easier, and less costly to do this in, say, Malaysia. And Vietnam has enormous quality of life issues, although I grant you that in ten years time things will likely look better there. Cambodia? I could never get past the sense of living on top of the corpses of two million people. 

Well aint you the good little farang. Roll over and let me scratch your tummy. 

7 hours ago, TommyUK1960 said:

Yep: I am leaving Thailand 2017. Reason; It's just to hot for this English guy. Side reason's:  I get fed up with having to keep on top of Extension of stay. 90 day reporting. Can not work due to being on retirement EStay ( am board). So yes, Me and my fantastic Thai wife are going to make home in England.  Just purchased a nice little new build house and looking forward to freedom.

I have enjoyed my 7 years stay but need more out of life for me and the wife.

Good luck for the both of you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am in that category, no investment in family or business and a decent income from my private pension.

Having lived here for over 11 years, I have a very good group of friends, both farang and thai.

I love where I live, know the area very well, and, as I have no transport, I can get to anywhere I need to go very easily, and very cheaply, on public transport. Yes, I use it every day.

Once a year I go to immigration with all the necessary paperwork, maybe I have to wait in a queue, but I am retired, it is no great hardship to wait your turn. Once I am called to the desk, my paperwork is checked, i hand over my 1,900 baht, and guess what ? I am given permission to stay here for another year, job done. Another 4 times in that year, I have to venture there again, same scenario without having to handover money, and for me, I do not really see it as an inconvenience, i rather see it as a few hours out.

I do not need to move elsewhere, where you say there are much better opportunities, opportunities for what ?

At 56 I do not need to start all over again in a different country, where I know nobody or anything about the place.

I am very content here in good old Thailand thank you.   

I am glad to hear that you and others are happy here. I know quite a few Expats who are happy and are staying for now - but all except one of them has considered things over the last year. And I think after the recent event, and possible upcoming events, they will all re-think again.  

And that is the issue - there was a survey (limited) that showed a lot of Expats are thinking about moving out. Many reasons - but they are thinking about it. And clearly by just the respondents to this post, some like myself are leaving soon, some have left, and some are thinking about it.  But as usual it has degenerated into Thailand and Thai bashing and praising, and attacking and defending each other's views (me guilty as charged too).

But the point remains - some Expats are not happy about things here the way they are. IMO Thailand needs to decide if they want Expat 'business' or not - because if they do, then they are going about this 'bad guy out' program the wrong way. I came here 4 years ago, but I visited a few times before that, and I just didn't see or hear that much negativity from Expats before the last year or so (and it was easy to stay).

Unlike some, I have the option to move on or move back, so that is what we are going to do for a while. And like several other posters have already stated (for those reading this who are thinking of moving here), it would be wise not to burn the bridges when one moves here - many Expats are stuck here - having an 'exit plan' is essential.  Some of those stuck here adjust and get on with life, but many more become bitter and angry - there is only so much that the girls and alcohol can hide (and never for a long time).  Thailand is a great place to visit, but it is only a great place to live if you find the right partner/friends, and live in the right place (for you), and are prepared to adjust and accept things the way they are (and may become).  I and many others are lucky to have the option to move on/back, and we have decided that is what we are going to do.

But if/when things settle down, and if/when Thailand decides to make it easy for 'good Expats', then we will reconsider moving back here. Meanwhile, as I have said before, Malaysia seems to be the most 'welcoming' to good Expats in SEAsia, but in a few years Cambodia/Vietnam might be worth a look.  For the US/Canada people - I hear Panama, Cost Rica and Ecuador may be good options. For UK people - I hear Cyprus, Malta and Portugal are OK.  They are all too far for my annual home visits for me, or I might try Portugal/Spain.

6 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Enough said, everybody has their own opinions which fields are greener. For those like me moving to either Cambodia and Vietnam.....off course we would like to one day (in the short future...at the rate that thinsg are going, maybe a year or so) sit down and clap in glee at all those expats who said great things about staying in Thailand and stayed on. Off course it will be sad to see their heads and the heads of their loved ones, hanging from trees though! lol! Just hope that it does not come to that but at the rate the xenophobic and nationalistic messages are being put into the brains of the local things, one can never say. It seems to all thais these days , all foreigners are bad except foreigners money!

Don't know about some of this.  My experience is that Vietnamese are really hard nosed people. Unsentimental and a lot more likely to take your last penny and leave you dying on the road. There is a lot of recent history in Vietnam and Cambodia that might indicate a halt on things before thinking that Thais are more likely to do you harm than Viets and Cambodians.

8 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

For the US/Canada people - I hear Panama, Cost Rica and Ecuador may be good options.

You hear wrong. Panama is a dogpit. Costa Rica is only around 30 percent cheaper than the US with about 40 percent of the American infrastructure.  Ecuador is the newbie on the list for SAmerica, and I suppose if you don't mind altitude sickness, it might just be fine. But expats go through these SAmerican countries faster than crap through a goose, and they all turn into disappointments quickly. 

1 hour ago, Bob9 said:

But if/when things settle down, and if/when Thailand decides to make it easy for 'good Expats', then we will reconsider moving back here. Meanwhile, as I have said before, Malaysia seems to be the most 'welcoming' to good Expats in SEAsia, but in a few years Cambodia/Vietnam might be worth a look.  For the US/Canada people - I hear Panama, Cost Rica and Ecuador may be good options. For UK people - I hear Cyprus, Malta and Portugal are OK.  They are all too far for my annual home visits for me, or I might try Portugal/Spain.

Ah,  the 4-year  expert.

The good expats, :cheesy:

Are You the same guy doing visa runs  who can't afford to put 800,000 baht  into a bank account  tip get a  retirement visa?

I'm sure  the  Thais are pleading you to come here.

I knew  an Ozzie  guy who won 30 million Au$,  and was renting 3500  baht apt in Nontaburi. 55555555555

31 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Ah,  the 4-year  expert.

The good expats, :cheesy:

Are You the same guy doing visa runs  who can't afford to put 800,000 baht  into a bank account  tip get a  retirement visa?

I'm sure  the  Thais are pleading you to come here.

I knew  an Ozzie  guy who won 30 million Au$,  and was renting 3500  baht apt in Nontaburi. 55555555555

The big boss from Ikea buys second hand clothes. What's wrong with that?

And who will put 800k baht in a Thai bank if he knows the baht will collapse one of these months.....?? Visarun's are fun as well, plenty of great places in Asia our outside!

• Like 1

On 5 November 2016 at 2:49 PM, mercman24 said:

its the jumping through hoops thing that sticks up my craw, they like to take my money, i bet my monthy spends are  more 12 of your average thai,(probably more) if we all decided to up sticks one day (ok it aint gonna happen) this place would be bancrupt overnight,

nonsense you overrate totally your spending we know plenty of thais whod make even our spending of over 300,000 baht a month seem peanuts. ITs useful extra income thats all sure it owuld affect sex trade im sure and scumbag places like Pattaya but rest hardly at all. We also know plenty of  exc pats living here hwo tihnk their pathetic 50-100k baht am onth is vital. Of ocurse many thais especially in Issan 10,000 is a lot. Ok folks now flame away about how 300k a month but we also know several ex pats who spend a lot more than that. A goog international school in Bangkock is not available for less thna 800,000 a year and 2 kids thats then around 140,000 just for school fees then a good condo in centrtal bangkock would be 50,000 up minimum .......    

Yeah, it used to be fun, now it's just getting boring. The real question is would it be any better back home. Oh yeah, 800,000bt - will disappear in an instant with a serious health problem. The only reason I stay here is because of my committments to my lady and the dogs. My advice to newcomers - 1/ do not get involved in any serious relationship, stay single for as long as you can, any Thai relationship will be a serious drain on your resources; 2/ stay in touch with home, it's surprising how the years build up, go back at least once a year; 3/keep an emergency fund fund somewhere, at least enough to fly home and get where you want to go; 4/ think about your pension. I know it's boring but you're gonna be old one day (if you're lucky). 5/ Don't think about how you are today, think about how you might be in the future - a wife, kids -  and how are you gonna support this.

10 hours ago, mcfish said:

And you sound like the many thousands of middle age men who fled thailand and is now couch surfing with elderly parents.

I just wish that those who failed and couldn't carve out a life for themselves in Los would just come out and say.. Im a failure!

My guess is that around 50% were losers before they got here and back to being losers on welfare in the their nanny state!!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

You have just confirmed it. Funny.

• Like 1

I visit Thailand from Canada almost every year,  but after the last two visits, I am sure that I will

never want to live in Thailand full time.  My one friend who lives in Hua Hin,  feels the same way

and he can not sell his house, with out a big loss. I just hope  that someday Thailand will become

modern and fix  their visa system.

Geezer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, it used to be fun, now it's just getting boring. The real question is would it be any better back home. Oh yeah, 800,000bt - will disappear in an instant with a serious health problem. The only reason I stay here is because of my committments to my lady and the dogs. My advice to newcomers - 1/ do not get involved in any serious relationship, stay single for as long as you can, any Thai relationship will be a serious drain on your resources; 2/ stay in touch with home, it's surprising how the years build up, go back at least once a year; 3/keep an emergency fund fund somewhere, at least enough to fly home and get where you want to go; 4/ think about your pension. I know it's boring but you're gonna be old one day (if you're lucky). 5/ Don't think about how you are today, think about how you might be in the future - a wife, kids -  and how are you gonna support this.

Then when you have finished thinking and worrying about all that, whoops no time left to enjoy yourself which is I guess why you came here in the first place. so many times I hear this who the hell knows what's round the corner for goodness sake lighten up you will drive yourselfs into an early grave. If I got to the stage some of you seem to be at I would just go somewhere else what is the point staying in a place that obviously is bad for you and bad for your health and your sanity. There are a lot more important things in this world to worry about.

Interesting to read this article running on thaivisa too.

By the way, for those of you who keep on stating that most of the unhappy expats are those that are penniless or are poor , think again, simply read the real-estate classifieds on DD property, craiglists, on the various facebook accts like bangkok expats etc and you will see that most who are leaving are those who are well-off with having bought high-end condos or houses in prime locations in bangkok, chiangmai, phuket, etc not those renting, or staying in slum villages upcountry like in Isaan ie properties with values less than Bt 3 million and below. Seriously, never trusts some of the long-term members of TV, have met some of them in the past during past meet-ups, they are really trash! but behind their keyboards pretend to be successful entrepreneurs leading the high-life.....lol! You should even see what some of them are married too......really laughable.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mcfish said:

Classy post. I bet my last baht you just run out of money and are bitter and twisted and that's how you come across! Good ridenace. But don't blame the Thais for all the strife you appear to get into, trouble will follow you wherever you go

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Did I see you outside a 7/11  with your Tinnie, be happy to take your last Baht pal. 

2 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I visit Thailand from Canada almost every year,  but after the last two visits, I am sure that I will

never want to live in Thailand full time.  My one friend who lives in Hua Hin,  feels the same way

and he can not sell his house, with out a big loss. I just hope  that someday Thailand will become

modern and fix  their visa system.

Geezer

House?

When has Thailand allowed ownership of land to foreigners?

Perhaps his grief is self-created, buying without forethought. Few foreigners, if any, want to take over his sleepless nights...

Edited by trogers

TV is the gall bladder of the expat community in Thailand, so no surprises on the result of that poll.

The Two Travelers and the Farmer:

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.

"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."