Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

I spent the last 25 + years living overseas, with the vast majority of it in Thailand.   I have now left and returned to my home country.   Thailand is a great country and other than my home country, I don't know that I would live anywhere else.   

For those that are married to a local and living a reasonably contented life, it's a great place to live.   If you are unattached or your spouse isn't Thai, it's less accommodating.   

Over the past 25 years it has changed and it is not significantly different in many respects from what I left, so there isn't much reason to stay.   The vagrancies of the gov't and the bureaucracy doesn't make it easy.   

I think it was Robert Frost who said, 'home is where when you have to go there, they have to take you', so I am now home and quite comfortable.   If I change my mind, I can always return to Thailand.   

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I'm quite sure it's called Nowember by Thais.  

I agree - and all those posters who think learning Thai will make you happy are wrong. 

All the happy Expats I know have limited Thai - their wives speak Thai. I also have limited Thai.

English is the official second language and is taught in schools (sort of). The road signs are in Thai and English - as are the Thai drivers licences (those that have one). You can go watch a movie in English - and a Thai movie with English subtitles - etc etc etc. English is everywhere here. 

And - there is one poster who said he wished he never learned Thai because they talk such rubbish he gets bored/upset with them - he says ignorance was bliss.

No - the answer is to learn what Thai people are like and why they are lthat way and accept it. You dont need to learn the language to understand the people - but you must listen and watch and think.  Once you understand Thai people (as much as a westerner can) then you can be happier here. If you refuse to accept their 'ways' and wont understand their 'ways', then you will get angry at their 'ways' - and then you will be unhappy.  

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I'm quite sure it's called Nowember by Thais.  

And i can't be bothered.

I'm so tired of the tao rai krab thing, want to go to a country where the price is on the pricetag and the same for everybody else.

Also the unmannered behaviour everywhere is blatant, there is NO restaurant without yelling kids or loud dumb waiters. 

Shops are all the same, don't ask them anything cause they don't know, also not in Thai language.

Public transport is far from easy, even if it's all brand new. Nothing is done to make it easy and comfortable but the price keeps on going up all the time.

Clothes in my size is a no hab, quality brands are a lousy quality in Thailand. There are no fun restaurants since they even can't speak english nor can cook properly (meat). There are no bars/cafe's except the karaoke rental girl type of things.

Yes i do miss the real world where one can just walk around without getting bothered all the time or have to get annoyed from impossible to walk sidewalks.

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

And i can't be bothered.

I'm so tired of the tao rai krab thing, want to go to a country where the price is on the pricetag and the same for everybody else.

Also the unmannered behaviour everywhere is blatant, there is NO restaurant without yelling kids or loud dumb waiters. 

Shops are all the same, don't ask them anything cause they don't know, also not in Thai language.

Public transport is far from easy, even if it's all brand new. Nothing is done to make it easy and comfortable but the price keeps on going up all the time.

Clothes in my size is a no hab, quality brands are a lousy quality in Thailand. There are no fun restaurants since they even can't speak english nor can cook properly (meat). There are no bars/cafe's except the karaoke rental girl type of things.

Yes i do miss the real world where one can just walk around without getting bothered all the time or have to get annoyed from impossible to walk sidewalks.

So, when are you leaving?

A lot of male Farlangs come to Thailand believing they are in for a lifestyle of partying, cheap booze and cheap sex as portrayed by the western media, what they read in the travel guides and the exaggerated tales spread around by their mates. Then once they actually decide to settle and been here for a while they then become disillusioned when the reality hits them that Thailand is now far removed from the affordable lifestyles they were expecting and many end up doing no more then they would be doing in their own countries, topped by crap bank foreign exchange and interest rates, ever increasing hurdles to jump over with the immigration procedures, duel pricing and scams. Also for retirees there are no concessions whatsoever laid on for them in Thailand, it becomes all about money where everything has a price tag.

Their dreams of wining and dining, being god`s gift to all Thai women and living the high life doesn`t transpire and soon become disillusioned with their situations here.  

To put it simply, Thailand is not the expat paradise it used to be and why I believe many expats become bored here as the novelty of living in paradise soon wears off.

> Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

Another proof that ThaiVisa surveys are not at all representative of the reality.

Those who reply are mostly the unhappy guys

The majority - the ones rather happy - just don't reply to such surveys.

The correct title would be "Half of the few expats who participated to this survey ..."

49 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

Well, Nai Harn is my favorite popular beach  (close to home)

nearby also: YaNui is good. 
in northern Phuket, Layan is my favorite up there. 

As for the rest of Thailand, we love the National Parks and our favorites are Thai Muang and Chai Mai NP in Trang province. 

Also Taratao. 
We've camped at those many times and are almost always the only ones there and staff seems to go out of their way to help us with comfort.  Bathrooms are clean, and leaves get raked everyday.  A little overkill IMO, but we'll take it. 

We also have a little beach in Phuket that I won't name because I don't want it spoiled. 

As you can see, we like the little "out of the way places" that the mainstream tourists don't go to. 
Just our style, not for everybody and that's good. 

thanks, will keep them in mind for future travels, I guess I am a bit spoilt being from the sunshine coast

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think it's obvious that most foreigners if they left Thailand would move back to their home nations. 

If they have not burned  their bridges ,  like most ex pats ,

then they   have no choices ,   hence  they pretend to be content in LOS . 555

58 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Oh you will experience rampant unemployment if your returning home at 40-70 as an ex expat. Just tune into the Pattaya forums for a bit and ask about the lady boy wallet grab, surprised you never heard of it.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

yep heard of it, just never experienced it because I tend to avoid such places

i guess I am lucky on the employment front also... but yep I do get your point though, can be tough for some (many?), thankfully doesn't apply to me though

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

its the jumping through hoops thing that sticks up my craw, they like to take my money, i bet my monthy spends are  more 12 of your average thai,(probably more) if we all decided to up sticks one day (ok it aint gonna happen) this place would be bancrupt overnight,

THIS is the point that should be made to the current Government.

Been here 13 years and have very nice Wife.

What bothers me is this stupid 90 Report for long term property owners and the annual trip to the Immigration for the extension of stay.

It is not as cheap to live here as you first thing, at least not in BKK area. Out in the country, probably is.

if the wife and I go back U.S. It would rake about 3 million THB out of the economy.

If enough of us left, they might learn to respect the long time family types.

12 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Cambodia wouldn't an option for me. Comparing to Thailand, poorer infrastructure, health care, internet and so on. This weights more than the lower living costs and easier visa rules. To me, it would be a back step.

when the power is on, internet is better than thailand.. if u get a generator, decent health insurance that will get u to bkk, which isnt too bad, and a commune.. u are golden.. no thai food but western / european food is 10 x better than thai..

12 hours ago, gamini said:

Many of them criticise every aspect of Thailand and live in tourist ghettos which are very different from other places here . I daily read about all the problems in places like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui and to me they are just not Thailand and completely the opposite of the sort of place my friends would live in this country. Certainly if I had to live in any of these places I would want to leave.

Been living on Samui since 2007, I hardly know any bars by name, I seldom go out as I don't drink alcohol. Live here in a quiet area of Lamai with my Thai girlfriend and my two dogs. Never, ever have I experienced problems with the local people, or for that matter, with anyone. I treat Thai people with the same courtesy that I like to be treated with. I give respect, I receive respect....  love Samui! Granted, I you are here on holidays, getting drunk every day, chasing pussy and treat the locals as dirt you will get in to problems. But otherwise? Comparing Samui with Pattaya doesn't do justice to Samui! It's still a beautiful and wonderful place to live...

15 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I think if you are talking about Pattaya dwellers only. Why on earth would anyone else want to go to Cambodia?

And why Pattaya dwellers? They are just people as are those that live anywhere else.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

For those considering coming don't burn your bridges.

Exactly.  And I suspect a significant portion of those who come here to live have done just that.  So what would the characteristics of someone past the point of no return actually be...

Well, first, I think they'd do their level best to "adapt".  To 'accept' no matter what.  And that's not necessarily a wholly bad thing.  But in conversation to consistently minimize the negatives and maximize the positives.   To cast aside objective observation and embrace the subjective "all is well" mentality.   Second, I think they'd go looking for moral support. commiseration and vindication.  Last, they'd preach fire & brimstone about, and attempt to trivialize, marginalize, and if at all possible silence anyone that disagrees with them and offers any critical comment whatsoever.   (Some few will even come out of the closet and say so openly, suggesting that all negative comment should be banned here.)

This behavior is understandable - human nature in fact - but kind of does a disservice to those in the "contemplative stage" of such a move.  As a source of "firsthand" information, the prospects naturally attach a lot of credibility to what they hear from expats.   But they don't realize they're possibly hearing a heavily rose-tinted version of things from heavily invested individuals who've had to become experts at making the best of things and are possibly in a perpetual state of chronic denial. 

And so, the moral of the story, as Jingthing recommends, is to by all means come if you want to, but just don't do so on an irreversible basis.  I would just add:  don't assume that just because you bring it with you, you might not have to leave some or most of it behind if the day does come - as it seems to have for many as evidenced by this topic and others - that you change your mind. 

5 hours ago, elliss said:

If they have not burned  their bridges ,  like most ex pats ,

then they   have no choices ,   hence  they pretend to be content in LOS . 555

Without wanting to make, your rather flippant point valid, but...you may have a point

When someone basically burns all bridges, and commits 100% to something the options become limited.

That was kinda my point way waaaaay back in this thread that, few of us haven't at least passively, looked at the options for getting the Hell outta here. It would would be crass incompetence if you hadn't.

But 'if' you are in the Burnt All Bridges, No Bolt Hole category what are your options?

The answer to that is denial. To any and all suggestions that leaving is a good idea, either slam the poster, ridicule the notice, buy large shovel in order bury head.

Situations change, countries change, regimes change. We all need to understand that. As long as you long want to buy into the daily dose of fantasy Thailand that you are presented with at 8PM every evening on your TV, followed by a Lakorn chaser of crap, well have a great life here, but don't try to look at things too hard....the veneer is thin!

6 hours ago, Bob9 said:

You dont need to learn the language to understand the people - but you must listen and watch and think.

How would you know if you can't speak the language? Utter nonsense!  Listen to what?

Can you imagine a Thai going to England and say a similar thing :cheesy:

Most likely close to 60 per cent or higher.....one gets tired of all the jumping through hoops to live here....I've got my bags packed and looking for greener spots next year....maybe spend 3 or 4 months a year here in LOS.....or until I get fed up with all the noise, traffic, smog, and the like...?

I've been doing the deed for over 12+ years and the shine I see coming off the fruit...???

9 hours ago, madusa said:

Farangs don't like to be called Farang.

Those who live in Thailand wish to be accepted by the Thais but how could that happen?

my wife and i are foreigners in Thailand. that's why we don't mind be called Farangs (foreigners). we neither have the wish to be "accepted" (whatever the definition of "accepted" is) by Thais nor do we have any idea whether we are accepted. all what we know is that we have been treated very politely when spending many times our holidays in Thailand and during the nearly 12 years we are living in Thailand not to forget that our money is accepted happily by Thais. no Thai has ever rejected our "farang money".

:tongue:

12 hours ago, pookiki said:

Things that I've found amazing compared to living in the US:

1. I've lived in the same apartment for the last 11 years with no increase in rent and the internet is still free!

2. In Bangkok, it is very easy to get by without your own transportation and you would be an idiot to try to drive in Bangkok, anyway.  Not having the stress of owning a vehicle with all the attendant expenses is one big stress out of my life.

3. The local markets are wonderful places to shop.  I know most of the vendors.  Friendly and generous. Get to taste before you buy and usually get more that what you paid for!

4. Thai people are, for the most part, friendly and generous. There's no need engage in political discussions to feed your own ego.  It's not going to change anything.  Just engage in 'small talk' and find good friends.

5. You have to assimilate. I exercise in a small park near my apartment. By and large, I'm the only farang at the park and I know many people by their first name.  I feel that I fit in as much as anyone else that is there.

6. Medical costs and the level of care are excellent - most of the time.

7. I feel safe and secure.

8. If I need to vent, I do it here!

Small gripes would be the dog shit is the sois, feral cats, and the ubiquitous erratic motorcycle drivers.   All things considered, it would be very difficult to find another place that offered the same quality of life.

Best post by far.................

It truly fascinating. Pretty much every one that left has no regrets 

That is maybe because in their view (and mine), Thailand has changed so much over the years, with very little of that change being in a positive direction.

I know a number of posters who have relocated to Cambodia.  It was also one of my options, and I spent a month in Phnom Penh before moving onto Myanmar.  Of course, both Cambodia and Myanmar cannot compare to the big cities of Thailand in terms of infrastructure, such as major shopping malls and decent hospitals.

But they are developing in the right direction and have other advantages over Thailand.  In Cambodia, one can establish a business, any business, with minimal restriction (no list of prohibited businesses, no need for a local partner).

In Myanmar, the recently-combined (local and foreign) investment law also allows a foreigner to own a small business 100%.

As for Permanent Residence, and the benefits of a long term PR visa, since I've already totaled more than 1 year of working in Myanmar, I can apply for PR now.  In 15 years of living and 'owning' business in Thailand, and paying tax etc etc, I was still never able to line up all my 'ducks' to meet the stringent requirements for PR.

9 hours ago, Johnniey said:

You really should stop using google translate. I haven't the foggiest what you are on about.

I can understand a German feeling superior and keeping his distance from inferior Thais but most of us  treat other human beings as equals. 

actually we keep our distance from frustrated Farangs who never achieved something in their lives, who can't adapt, respectively accept facts and try to boost their low self esteem by criticising others. it seems their way of "integration" is making fun of stupid Farangs being tricked into marrying brown Isaan girls and condemning Isaan or other Thai ladies who marry Farangs.

pure irony is when afore-said criticism originates from a Farang who married a Thai lady and sired four luk kreungs :tongue:

9 hours ago, mcfish said:

It truly fascinating. Pretty much every one that left has no regrets
.. The fact that most won't get laid ever again should be enough but....

.. then you have freezing weather, rampant unemployment, sky high rentals so it's back to sharing with 4 others, real inflation, your pension allows chicken mince after expenses, then there is real deadly violence in most Western cities makes the lady boy wallet grab a bit of laugh really

Surrree there are no regrets? LMAO

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

not applicable to Americans but you forgot taxes, taxes, taxes... taxes galore... left, right and in front of you.

i forgot to add no double pricing in my home country but triple and quadruple pricing of most essentials (especially utilities) plus a fat VAT of 19% which will be soon raised to 22%.

Each morning as I fire up the laptop to scan the daily papers in the UK and some of the rest of the world I feel a little happier in the tranquility and relative sanity of my village home in remotest Isaan, After more than three years here I have no wish to go anywhere, least of all back to the UK, where apparently because I consider myself a citizen of the world I am - according the the current PM - "a citizen of nowhere..." Neither to the US. In both countries so-called western democracy is clearly in terminal decline. The expats who complain most are the ones who even after several years here speak not one word of the language nor have the slightest interest in the culture of the country. They should fulfill their wish and leave pronto - and good riddance.

Archived