Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

37 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Really? Hua Hin all Thais speak English ? Pattaya? Phuket? Koh Samui? Bangkok? Wow where?

That's depends if you live in the sticks. Certainly nobody needs to know thai or heaven forbid rely on a bar girl in nearly all the big tourist areas

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Nokbkk said:

Can't we encourage those unhappy 50 % to leave Thailand immediately? Free bus ticket to Suvarnabhum airport ? How much if we charter 500 busses ?

The more place for us who do respect that country.

Guess we will be lonely here on Thaivisa, no one anymore who put his shit on Thailand.

Unfortunately, they carry on posting their shit on here when they return to their home country to live !

3 minutes ago, tails said:

32 million tourists per year who come in and spend $1-2k in a week then leave, which will soon rise to 50 million per year... why would they give two sh*** about how many non-immigrants stay or go?

I've been in Thailand 4 years now and it's been an amazing experience so far. Although everything has good and bad aspects. After lengthy consideration, my wife and I have now decided that Australia will be better for us and we're moving back next year, at least until retirement. I missed your survey so thought I could contribute a comment here at least.

I'm curious to know.. does anyone know how many people participated in this survey?

Reading OP often helps :thumbsup:

Answered 572 skipped 5

3 hours ago, SoFarAndNear said:

So true, so true :smile:

maybe for some people... but hey, that's a fairly broad generalisation there

always amazes me how people on social media and forums so easily sum up everyone else with one sweeping statement... but when they are generalised... look out :D

2 minutes ago, tails said:

maybe for some people... but hey, that's a fairly broad generalisation there

always amazes me how people on social media and forums so easily sum up everyone else with one sweeping statement... but when they are generalised... look out :D

So true.  So true. 
(sorry, couldn't resist).  :laugh:

3 hours ago, dru2 said:

Yep - some can't even spell Farang.

6 hours ago, Mook23 said:

True. Losers will be losers. Thailand isnt receiving the best quality of farlangs. In fact. Many farlang i have met here are low level. Many dont even speak enough thai to say more than hello and thank you.  Yet these very people feel superior. Oh well. People 555.

Nokbkk answers:

Wrong !

Mook23 wrote Farlang; wonderfull !

Everywhere you see 'falang' or 'farang' written. The pronunciation is in between R - L. Mook23 did a good thing: using both.

Mook23 wrote it 2 times, and it does not get to Dru2 ? 

Dru2 must be a superior feeling person, like Mook23 suggested.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

What kind of long term stayers? Not those who had to do visa runs...?

I see no treatment change to those with authentic visas...

well you could say there is one huge treatment change... although treatment would really be my first choice of word there, more like policy

if my wife moves to Australia she can get a partner visa and basically be Australian (in terms of the things that relate to us, i.e. buying a house, running a business etc.). The same does not happen in reverse here. Yes, I know the reasons why. No, I'm not bitching or telling the Thai Gov to change to suit me. But it could be felt that it's a big difference in how one is 'treated'. But yes... I totally agree with your point re: 'those with authentic visas'...

5 minutes ago, Nokbkk said:

True. Losers will be losers. Thailand isnt receiving the best quality of farlangs. In fact. Many farlang i have met here are low level. Many dont even speak enough thai to say more than hello and thank you.  Yet these very people feel superior. Oh well. People 555.

Wrong !

Mook23 wrote Farlang; wonderfull !

Everywhere you see 'falang' or 'farang' written. The pronunciation is in between R - L. Mook23 did a good thing: using both.

Mook23 wrote it 2 times, and it does not get to Dru2 ? 

Dru2 must be a superior feeling person, like Mook23 suggested.

LOL are you guys seriously debating the correct spelling of transliteration? The only spelling worth criticising is those pesky americans who butchered English :D lol

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Haha, wow who pulled your chain? Speak for yourself, don't make assumptions that you have no empirical evidence for. This country isn't exactly run on an even keel, inflation is rife due to mismanagement and massive corruption - that's not caused by 'them'. Look at the facts, not regurgitate anecdotal statements about how people dress [which is their choice in most free democracies]. As for learning the language and culture, how many immigrants do that when they go west? Again, people's choice. The leaders that be don't exactly make it easy for 'us' to live/work/stay here with archaic anti-immigrant legislation that changes by the day. The country would be in a mess if 'they' all left with their ATM's in 'their' pockets. Get real or carry on dreaming on an island somewhere.  As for posting 'shit' well, it's all subjective dear.

I am thinking seriously about getting out of Dodge after 15 years here.

It's the lack of any semblance of democracy coupled with future events I cannot comment on without risking a 15 year jail sentence and the everyday corruption, scamming and dumb visa regulations.  

At one time 30 odd years ago I thought Thailand had a bright future.  Not now.

When I first mentioned this to my wife (who has dual nationality) she clung to the idea like she was drowning.

Only problem I have with Thailand is the education system and the pollution. (litter, noise, black smoke from trucks and buses)

The rest is good:  food, scenery, weather, girls, beaches, smiles, prices, and warmth. 

Back home it's hunting season and I know what that means: I have NOTHING in common with those people. 

In Thailand, most of my friends have travelled extensively and are world-wise and know to respect other cultures. 
Almost none of that where I come from (and most of them love Trump!)

I couldn't move back. 

...but they have lost too much....

...and they hope and pray every day that some miracle will happen....and they will be afforded some justice....

...because they have practically nothing left.....the wife has it all....

...an 'insider' stated recently that 'there are thousands....yet out of hurt, embarrassment and humiliation....they remain silent'....

...until they get sick and die....or are 'helped along'....if they happen to raise their voices....

Left 2007. No regrets. Can still go back for a holiday and see friends if i want to

It truly fascinating. Pretty much every one that left has no regrets
.. The fact that most won't get laid ever again should be enough but....

.. then you have freezing weather, rampant unemployment, sky high rentals so it's back to sharing with 4 others, real inflation, your pension allows chicken mince after expenses, then there is real deadly violence in most Western cities makes the lady boy wallet grab a bit of laugh really

Surrree there are no regrets? LMAO

15 minutes ago, fiddlehead said:

Only problem I have with Thailand is the education system and the pollution. (litter, noise, black smoke from trucks and buses)

The rest is good:  food, scenery, weather, girls, beaches, smiles, prices, and warmth. 

Back home it's hunting season and I know what that means: I have NOTHING in common with those people. 

In Thailand, most of my friends have travelled extensively and are world-wise and know to respect other cultures. 
Almost none of that where I come from (and most of them love Trump!)

I couldn't move back. 

I hear you there... well mostly... where are these good beaches you speak of in Thailand? I've been to 30+ different beach locations around Thailand and so far Koh Rok south of Lanta was to only beach clean enough and sadly it was just a day trip.

5 minutes ago, mcfish said:

It truly fascinating. Pretty much every one that left has no regrets
.. The fact that most won't get laid ever again should be enough but....

.. then you have freezing weather, rampant unemployment, sky high rentals so it's back to sharing with 4 others, real inflation, your pension allows chicken mince after expenses, then there is real deadly violence in most Western cities makes the lady boy wallet grab a bit of laugh really

Surrree there are no regrets? LMAO

interesting life you must lead... i've never experienced rampant unemployment, deadly violence in western cities or lady boy wallet grabs.... I hear you on the rental prices though

interesting life you must lead... i've never experienced rampant unemployment, deadly violence in western cities or lady boy wallet grabs.... I hear you on the rental prices though

Oh you will experience rampant unemployment if your returning home at 40-70 as an ex expat. Just tune into the Pattaya forums for a bit and ask about the lady boy wallet grab, surprised you never heard of it.

12 minutes ago, tails said:

I hear you there... well mostly... where are these good beaches you speak of in Thailand? I've been to 30+ different beach locations around Thailand and so far Koh Rok south of Lanta was to only beach clean enough and sadly it was just a day trip.

Well, Nai Harn is my favorite popular beach  (close to home)

nearby also: YaNui is good. 
in northern Phuket, Layan is my favorite up there. 

As for the rest of Thailand, we love the National Parks and our favorites are Thai Muang and Chai Mai NP in Trang province. 

Also Taratao. 
We've camped at those many times and are almost always the only ones there and staff seems to go out of their way to help us with comfort.  Bathrooms are clean, and leaves get raked everyday.  A little overkill IMO, but we'll take it. 

We also have a little beach in Phuket that I won't name because I don't want it spoiled. 

As you can see, we like the little "out of the way places" that the mainstream tourists don't go to. 
Just our style, not for everybody and that's good. 

3 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I beg your pardon. 

This is absolute truth. I know as I've started the application. 

Don't even need to sing the national anthem or pass a Thai test like you did a few years ago.

if you want links, I ain't giving them to a rude **** like you.

Interesting what you wrote. I did not know that. Would you be kind enough to let ME have the links by PM? (I am NOT the same person who wrote to you earlier!) Thank you.

7 hours ago, jgold said:

Vietnam specially Ho Chi Minh will be a very nice place to live in 4-5 yrs so dear expats living in Thailand will have more options. Me as a foreigner feel I was much more welcome under the Thaksin government.  This military junta does not like foreigners. 

We are thinking of New Zealand.

But what has the junta done to you? I don't get it.

Thaksin was good in fighting drugs and a more strong leader but the police was corrupt and he didn't care. They still don't work but at least don't stop you for nothing but paying cash.

In the past all Thai respected foreigners much more than now, guess they have seen too many tourists. Farang are only good to ask a triple price, for the rest they don't give a ... about them. Even in places like MacDonalds they can't speak a word english, the other day i ordered 3 hamburgers and the poor girl had no idea what i was saying. This was in BKK though, not up in the fields or so.

Well they go for the chinese now, let them do. They even call them quality tourists, oh the irony.

Seems to me that there are a lot of happy posters who come from all walks of life and are content and happy to stay in Thailand. But there are also many from different walks that are not happy, and some of them are clearly 'stuck' or have already left. As one of those from the retired/married a Thai walks of life, that is reasonable happy, but who is going to leave shortly, I thought I would share my reasons.  

But first, the main reason I chose to retire to Thailand 4 years ago, was that I wanted to retire early at 55 (divorced long time) and doing that back home would take at least another 5 or maybe 10 years. I chose Thailand for many other reasons too - including the people/ladies, the transport and medical systems, the fact English is everywhere, and all the positive stuff from other Expats (some I still know and who are still here). I was lucky enough, and took my time and looked very closely at the 'options', to find a decent lovely Thai lady and we got married. For all but one of happy retiree Expats that I know here, this is the key to their happiness (and a bad Thai lady is the key to many of the twisted and bitter Expats).

However, things have changed (as they always do) and things in Thailand have been getting worse for several years.  The Junta is cracking down hard on the 'bad guys', but they have caused a serious flow-on problem. All the new rules, and the enforcement of some old rules, has put everything into chaos. Thailand does not have a coordinated and efficient Government system - it is a loosely aligned Thiefdom of Regional 'Empires'.  The result has been an avalanche of 'punishment' for being foreign, and a growing resentment against foreigners that Thais dont know. It is the same as it ever was in the country Regions I visit, but in the bigger places I have visited there is far more open distrust than I have ever encountered before.

My Thai wife has a Partner Migrant Visa - it did cost a bit of money - but it is valid for over 5 years. She can do so many things that I cannot do here:  work, buy property, open 'full' bank accounts, get 'full' licences, travel and live anywhere, she does not have to 'report', and after 2 years she gets limited free health coverage (Drs and Hospitals), and if she works for 10 years she will be entitled to receive the age pension for life (including partial payment if she ever moves back to Thailand), and she gets a Superannuation Fund which she can withdraw when she is 70, and she gets many other benefits as well (inc. free English lessons).  

I am worried that the 'crackdown' on Expats is only going to get worse, as is the associated attitude of Thais to foreigners that they dont know. And I am worried that after the mourning period is over there will be political turmoil in Thailand that could go anywhere (I will say no more). 

The wife and I are going to live back home for a while, and see how things go. The costs of living in a large Regional City back home are only a little bit more than here (Brother lives in one), and there are so many advantages.  The wife wants to work (job already lined up) and wants to buy herself a home here - I will work part-time and play golf in a warm climate not a tropical sweathole.

Things may settle down here and work out well after a few years of political transition, and maybe then we will move back. Maybe we will come back, and maybe not. Meanwhile we will switch 180 and visit Thailand for a month each year.

So yes - I am a mid-term Expat who is going home shortly. But I wouldn't be going home if things were not like they currently are, and if I was not worried that they are going to get a lot worse before they get better again. If I was currently still approaching 55 and wanting to retire overseas, knowing what I now know about Thailand, would I still have chosen Thailand? Probably not - I think I would choose another location (Malaysia? Phillipines? Cambodia? Vietnam?). Actually, I like the idea of Malaysia - they have an Expat retirement scheme that discourages the 'Expat Trash' and gives long term certainty and rights (eg. 5 year Visas) and they have a decent law and order system, and corruption is not as blatant (and getting worse). It is not far from Thailand too so that will help with family visits for the Wife - maybe worth a look?. Seems to me that Malaysia is encouraging retired Expats (who have a little money), and is not so open to the low-life Expats.  Thailand is actually discouraging retired Expats, and the mid-age Guys who work and enjoy life. Thailand is making things harder, while their 'competition' is making it easier.  Thailand will always get the short term tourists and the low-lives, but I think over time they are losing the retired and working Expats.

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Who need sto know Thai lol

How many here know what this month is called in Thai, if you don't and have been here loner than 1 year, shame on you and look right there at why you might not feel at home.

I'm quite sure it's called Nowember by Thais.  

Archived