AIRBNB, is it clearly forbidden to rent your room daily where you live ? Anybody doing it anyway ?

Asiang

1 hour ago, BudRight said:

Typically Thailand bullshit - "what's that? Dunno - better ban it."

Edit: Don't tell me about "respecting local laws" either. I have no respect whatsoever for unjust laws - there is in fact a duty to disobey. 

This is not typical "Thailand" bullshit.

It is global bullshit, there are a lot of cities in the west also banning or restricting airBnB.

Several places up for rent on a daily basis in Chiang Mai .  Actually I stayed 1 week myself a few months ago through AirBNB, in a condo near the night market. The staff working there seemed to be used to tourists in the building. 

Go ahead and buy a condo and put it on AirBNB for daily rental, the rest of the block can do the same. Dont be surprised (or complain) it someone takes it a step further and starts doing by the hour rentals.

I knew a guy in pattaya, a couple of years ago, who had exactly that going on in his condo block. This guy owned a condo close to beach road, someone brought or rented all the other condos on his floor. A little old Thai lady lived in one of the condos, hookers (with a customer) would knock on the little old ladies door, pay 300 baht, get fresh towels, a condom and the keys to a condo, An hour later keys were returned and the little old lady would go and clean the room. 

Go ahead and buy a condo and put it on AirBNB for daily rental, the rest of the block can do the same. Dont be surprised (or complain) it someone takes it a step further and starts doing by the hour rentals.

I knew a guy in pattaya, a couple of years ago, who had exactly that going on in his condo block. This guy owned a condo close to beach road, someone brought or rented all the other condos on his floor. A little old Thai lady lived in one of the condos, hookers (with a customer) would knock on the little old ladies door, pay 300 baht, get fresh towels, a condom and the keys to a condo, An hour later keys were returned and the little old lady would go and clean the room. 

Hmm your mate is pulling your leg. Little old lady would never get any sleep and any informed munger knows you don't get free condoms.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Canceraid said:

As a condo owner in various projects in Bangkok ie Rhythm Ratchada, Rhythm Sukhumvit, Rhythm Huay-Kwang, Centric Ratchada, Ideo Sapan Kwai, The Room Lardphrao etc, we have made sure that other owners do not rent out on a daily basis and the appointed juristic bodies have put up signs and we all make it a point to look out beside the appointed staff to make sure that no "arse" owner disobeys and do the same. The reason is for security purposes and also most of the daily renters make use of the common facilities ie the pool etc daily and mess up the common areas.Long term rentals with proper documentation and local police and  immigration notification is ok. We normally have the juristic committee report the matter to the local police or immigartion straigth away first. On the contrary, most of the receptionists are not "dogs" but are there to ensure security and that there are no strange characters up to no good at these buildings ie drug courriers, peodophiles, prostituition rings etc or unscruplous owners up to no good.One thing taht we have also done is to get the staff to check the air bnb sites to see any units listed in our properties and have them reported.

You should live in north korea, seems good for your style...

13 hours ago, blackcab said:

I can assure you many of them don't. Nowadays it is hard work to get a hotel license. Previously issued licenses would often not be issued if the same building was to be considered today due to the criteria being tightened.

Of course they don't have a hotel license, people are dreaming here, so funny that they have no idea about real life...

8 hours ago, newnative said:

'Duty to disobey'.   What utter nonsense.  It's not a Thai thing.  Short-term condo rentals are banned in most civilized countries--usually both by local law and condo by-laws. 

Where you come from you have dogs waiting to catch people at the reception ?

Of course not, so we do whatever we want in the west just as in Thailand (because here dogs are cheap).

10 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

This is not typical "Thailand" bullshit.

It is global bullshit, there are a lot of cities in the west also banning or restricting airBnB.

For the same corrupt reasons: pressure from Hotel chains.

Western stupidity does not vindicate Thai stupidity.

The duty to disobey is the fundamental principle that maintains Liberty throughout the world. Sic semper tyrannis.

Edited by BudRight

What rot using 'duty' to justify breaking the law.  Hmm. Nobody's looking so it's my duty to do some shoplifting.  Laws prohibiting short-term rentals in condos have been in place long before Airbnb and there's nothing stupid about them.  You'd like to blame the laws on hotels but that's not true.  Hotels may be fighting Airbnb and the like but the laws they are using have been put into place long ago to protect the residents of condominiums.  I think you will find that the condo residents are applying the most pressure--not the hotels.  The condo residents are the reason that my condo now has large signs posted prohibiting short-term rentals. The condo residents of my condo are the ones that are making sure that management sends letters to violators.  There are many reasons for the laws that have been already stated in earlier forums on this subject so I won't repeat them here but it basically comes down to hotels are hotels and condos are condos, two completely different things that need different rules and regulations.  Of course, you don't care about any of this because you are thinking only of yourself and your duty is ME, ME, ME.

20 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think you will find that the condo residents are applying the most pressure--not the hotels.  The condo residents are the reason that my condo now has large signs posted prohibiting short-term rentals. The condo residents of my condo are the ones that are making sure that management sends letters to violators. 

I'm sure this is the case. In my building nothing is done about the problem because most co-owners dont care (and are probably doing illegal rentals themselves anyway). In other buildings things get done because co-owners care. What hotels think is not very relevant.

On 07/11/2016 at 10:25 AM, blackcab said:

The company I work for manages rented condos in the 10 million baht plus range. Some of the units are very nice indeed. The unit owners absolutely do not want someone renting a unit and then sub letting the unit on airbnb.

An owner renting it out is understandable though.

Imagine buying a 10 million Baht condo and realising you can make the same profits or more by renting it out daily on AirBnb, live in it yourself whenever you want (just restrict certain dates flexibly on Airbnb), and still recoup your investment way faster. Anyone would be tempted. Especially if the building is half empty as many condo complexes are, a few extra tourists isn't going to annoy any residents. 

Plus you can only approve Airbnb guests with 100% positive reviews, if you want. There's zero reason to have drug couriers, paedophiles, and prostitution rings etc. as tenants (@Canceraid that's how to spell those words). Airbnb is actually similar to couchsurfing, it's like a self-governing community where guests and hosts leave each other feedback and ratings, the hosts ask for sent scans of tenants' passport, and so on.

Personally I only approve hot chicks :)  

On 08/11/2016 at 8:43 AM, newnative said:

What rot using 'duty' to justify breaking the law.  Hmm. Nobody's looking so it's my duty to do some shoplifting.  Laws prohibiting short-term rentals in condos have been in place long before Airbnb and there's nothing stupid about them.  You'd like to blame the laws on hotels but that's not true.  Hotels may be fighting Airbnb and the like but the laws they are using have been put into place long ago to protect the residents of condominiums.  I think you will find that the condo residents are applying the most pressure--not the hotels.  The condo residents are the reason that my condo now has large signs posted prohibiting short-term rentals. The condo residents of my condo are the ones that are making sure that management sends letters to violators.  There are many reasons for the laws that have been already stated in earlier forums on this subject so I won't repeat them here but it basically comes down to hotels are hotels and condos are condos, two completely different things that need different rules and regulations.  Of course, you don't care about any of this because you are thinking only of yourself and your duty is ME, ME, ME.

The condo residents are thinking Me, Me, Me too, they want peace and quiet and the pool/gym all to themselves. When they go on holiday / visa runs they probably log straight onto AirBnb to find a quiet peaceful bargain away from the tourists who stay in hotels :smile: