webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, toolpush said:

Moped? Where is the Moped? What is it with you Brits and calling a motorcycle a Moped? A Moped is a Motorized pedal bike. That is where Mo and Ped come from. Wikpedia: Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and by bicycle pedals, but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for similar vehicles including a scooter, though this is quite erroneous.

I was going to ask the same question. my father had a moped he took with when he went camping. it certainly was not a scooter.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

In British English, a moped is a small motorcycle of 50cc engine size.

The important defining characteristic of a moped is that it has pedals (motorisedpedal) and can operate as a bicycle:

Classic Honda PC50 (1975)HONDA_PC50_1975.jpg

In France it would be called a "velo" (short for velomoteur).

Edited by Enoon

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Yes, we would take responsibility.  One was my niece who was driving.  The other one was my first-born son. It was about a quarter mile up an alley and around a corner. 

Back in the day, we could trust people to a degree.

Sometimes I really wish people would take all their "ifs," "what ifs," "shoulds," and "shouldn'ts," and stuff them in a sack. Then shove that sack up their ar*es. Just live your lives and allow others to do the same. Whilst I would not condone a half-dozen kids on a motorbike pretty much anywhere, I would venture to say, that neither would the parents, who are not present to make their thoughts known here. Roll the dice on occasion, for chrissakes, and allow your kids to do the same.  The odds are much more often than not, in our favor, and the accumulated joyous memories of being trusted to do 'important' things for your folks (with scars as reminders, if need be) will go a long way in soothing some of the much, much harsher realities looming in the not-so-far-off distance.

It also pays to keep in mind that unforeseeable outcomes are not always negative, and are certainly not swayed by overactive imaginations. You want to raise a fearful, neurotic kid? Teach him/her through incessant hand-wringing and such that 'Danger' is lurking at every turn, and seeking to devour them. Though I don't see how trust (other than in that of fate) comes into play in this particular instance, Damrongsak, your attitude is otherwise what I would encourage any un-holier-than-thou individual to adopt. Especially in SE Asia. Without it, this place would be no fun at all. Sheeeish.

Baby in a bucket, anyone?  :402:

Insane Photo.jpg

Edited by Songlaw
Added photo

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Years ago on a visit, we'd send 2 kids down the street on a mini-bike to buy cold beer.  Everyone knew everyone, so it was cool.

Not intended to be a flame, but might I ask what has your reply got to do with the op ?

Over a morning coffee in my local market early one morning I got talking to a local policeman and raised the issue of underage kids on motorbikes, and 3/4/5 kids on a bike.

He said that the powers that be in Bangkok had told provincial police to "Leave the kids alone".

4 hours ago, Mosha said:

My mate was married to a teacher here. One day she tells him she's going to be late home, as the police will be giving a talk to the teachers about the law. He says "You mean like not letting the kids drive motorbikes to school?"
She gives him the look, and says "Don't be stupid, how will they get to school?"

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

yeah selective and unfathomable reasoning, head of  village  told me I drive too fast, i  said  ok Ill slow  down but whats the speed  limit, he didnt  know!! I asked ok but if  I slow  down is it ok if  I wear no helmet, drive with no  lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, cut  all the corners and junctions right off, drive  while using the phone, drive whilst 3  on a bike, drive a bike age 10 and under etc etc drive on the wrong side of the road...............which ones do you want me to obey???

Blank look!

4 hours ago, toolpush said:

Moped? Where is the Moped? What is it with you Brits and calling a motorcycle a Moped? A Moped is a Motorized pedal bike. That is where Mo and Ped come from. Wikpedia: Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and by bicycle pedals, but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for similar vehicles including a scooter, though this is quite erroneous.

Why get twisted about it? You Yanks destroy the English language every day.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

In British English, a moped is a small motorcycle of 50cc engine size.

Not English it seems:

The word moped was coined by Swedish journalist Harald Nielsen in 1952, as a portmanteau of motor and pedal. It is however often claimed to be derived from "motor-velocipede.[2] According to Douglas Harper, the Swedish terms originated from "(trampcykel med) mo(tor och) ped(aler)", which means "pedal cycle with engine and pedals" (the earliest versions had auxiliary pedals).[3]

Ducati Cucciolo (2005)

cucciolo-2005-1.jpg

Edited by Enoon

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am surprised we haven't had anyone to try and defend this as Thai culture and if you can't accept it go home. Luckily so far we haven't, as anyone with any sense knows this is dangerous, unacceptable and about time this practice stopped for the health of the people and nation in general.

You haven't read far enough along.

10 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Back when I had a bike in Thailand (no license plates or registration), this was commonplace.  I did have a lifetime driver's license (wonder what happened to that?).  One time, a kid at a police checkpoint accused me of stealing his bike.  Cops never paid any attention to him.  I think he was an Indian, so white man ruled.  Or maybe because I had a Govt. ID from the Land Development Dept.

Are you steven seagal?

8 hours ago, toolpush said:

Brits? Where did that assumption come from? I'm British and know full well what differentiates a moped from a common-a- garden motorcycle. It more likely depends on age, as they were more common forty years ago than now.

There are clearly regional differences in what is a moped and what is a motorbike.  In my youth, it was common to see Honda C50 s, which in the UK were called mopeds, even though they didn't have pedals to propel the moped along.

It hardly matters though does it?  Let's all just agree that the Americans bastardised the English language and leave it at that :smile:

Eh up, the net police are out. I'm British and I don't. Where I come from, any scooter type thing under 125cc is known as a plastic pig, so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it. But why get all bent out of shape over such a triviality? - I bet your missus had a blinder of a honeymoon. Perhaps we should have a real laugh and analyse how you lot say the word solder (sodder). :laugh:

Of the kids on the bike, it's not really news; happens every day all over the kingdom. Best one I ever saw was a family of 6 on a 'plastic pig' with the dog in the basket.

Proper Brits use the term 'Chicken chaser'!

9 hours ago, toolpush said:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/information-moped-riders

They only had to have Pedals before 1977. It is a recognised class of vehicle and has it's own license category allowing 16 year olds to ride them

Edited by PeeJay1959

9 hours ago, simon43 said:

What a redneck you are!

You do realise that there are hundreds of words that have different definitions in British English and American English?

He has to be a yank without doubt as we aussies use the Queens English and know the difference