PM Prayut suggests tough action against overloaded trucks

webfact

PM suggests tough action against overloaded trucks

0811001.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry has been instructed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to get tough with over-loaded trucks blamed for causing damages to the country’s roads, especially rural and inter-provincial roads.

Transport Minister Arkhom Tantipittayapaisit explained that normally there are laws restricting the load that each type of trucks is allowed to carry and there are checkpoints along highways to check the weight of trucks to ascertain whether they are overloaded or not.

However, there are many truck operators who defy the law by overloading their trucks in order to save operating costs in total disregard of the damages caused to the roads by overloaded trucks, especially during the sugarcane harvesting season when many trucks are overloaded with sugarcanes.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-suggests-tough-action-against-overloaded-trucks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-09

"...Transport Minister...explained that...there are laws restricting the load that each type of trucks is allowed to carry and there are checkpoints along highways to check the weight of trucks to ascertain whether they are overloaded or not..."

More police needed to enforce this ???

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.

Whilst I agree with it in principle. I would say clear guidelines are needed. This is because I see the police' shake down'  every few days on the road near me, every truck they see. Everyone gets stopped and I see money handed over. I see tyres checked for air, exhaust and the load inside checked. Whilst I am not against this staying with in the law what are the chances that a truck passes the tests. So far I have  never seen one.

6 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Crackdowns, Purges and now Tough Action, so what do they all have in common ?

Well they sound impressive and that's as far as it goes !

If hot air and verbal diarrhea was a useful commodity Thailand would be the hub of such production. Although it would probably still require a subsidy and fakes will be produced and sold on every corner.

Overloaded truck sure an issue.

There's a glaring ommision though - how about maintaining the roads? Or even building them properly?

I guess its easier to pour bitumen on dirt ignore camber and continue to install drains at the top of hills or anywhere else except the gutter. Definitely don't put drains at a low point though, they might catch too much water and get blocked.

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Crackdowns, Purges and now Tough Action, so what do they all have in common ?

Well they sound impressive and that's as far as it goes !

The only difference between yesterday and today is that someone gave the sub-editor at PBS a new thesaurus.

Transport Minister Arkhom Tantipittayapaisit explained that normally there are laws restricting the load.... 

And there are laws and normally the police enforce them, but apparently not in Thailand.  Instead the BIB all to often look the other way or collect a donation which magically makes everything OK.

21 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

No mention of overloaded boats and drowning passengers. I suppose that is because boats don't cause potholes.

If would appear that Prayut has a thing about pot holes - see https://is.gd/zjzwOw and https://is.gd/oVN3Ah !!!

Maybe, it's because he knows how bumpy the road ahead is for Thailand according to his roadmap ???

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Whilst I agree with it in principle. I would say clear guidelines are needed. This is because I see the police' shake down'  every few days on the road near me, every truck they see. Everyone gets stopped and I see money handed over. I see tyres checked for air, exhaust and the load inside checked. Whilst I am not against this staying with in the law what are the chances that a truck passes the tests. So far I have  never seen one.

Ever thought it might be cheaper to pay off the police than to adhere to the law.. Just imagine the extra profit on overloading.. not doing maintenance and so on. The police just get paid and its just operating cost. Because the truck can go on its merry way even if it does not comply to the laws. Just like people on motorbikes without helmets can drive on after the ticket. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ever thought it might be cheaper to pay off the police than to adhere to the law.. Just imagine the extra profit on overloading.. not doing maintenance and so on.

Yes I have and know that in many cases it may happen but morally is that right? My point really is that no matter if you are a truck in the spot I mention, you are going to pay even if everything is perfect.

10 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes I have and know that in many cases it may happen but morally is that right? My point really is that no matter if you are a truck in the spot I mention, you are going to pay even if everything is perfect.

Morally corruption is not right.. by allowing those trucks to go on without complying with the laws (safety) they put people at risk. Now I don't know about paying when not in the wrong.. it might happen.. but that is not going to change even with good laws.. The cops are corrupt.. but to be honest I have never been stopped for things that I did not commit and I have been stopped more then a few times. 

Just now, robblok said:

The cops are corrupt.. but to be honest I have never been stopped for things that I did not commit and I have been stopped more then a few times. 

I guess we are different. When driving a truck I was stopped 12 days in a row at the same place for allegedly speeding which I was  not. Not signaling which as I was in the same lane for 2 miles, wasn't needed. Also for having not enough air in my tyre's even though they didn't check. I kid you not.

Now I have a better vehicle, I do not get pulled over by the police and have not in a few years. There are different ' hotspots' in Bangkok. I do feel sympathy for those trucks who have everything in order regarding the law but still get fleeced.. That was my point.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I guess we are different. When driving a truck I was stopped 12 days in a row at the same place for allegedly speeding which I was  not. Not signaling which as I was in the same lane for 2 miles, wasn't needed. Also for having not enough air in my tyre's even though they didn't check. I kid you not.

Now I have a better vehicle, I do not get pulled over by the police and have not in a few years. There are different ' hotspots' in Bangkok. I do feel sympathy for those trucks who have everything in order regarding the law but still get fleeced.. That was my point.

I think there is only a small amount of people who have it all in order, many are overloaded.. going on lanes they are not allowed (me too on my motorbike that is what I got caught for) In my car ford focus 2.0 I never get stopped (ex had some speeding tickets, she was speeding so that was not a problem). 

Bu I do pity those that have to pay who have it all in order.. but i think that is a real small portion there are enough offences to keep the police busy for days without looking for things that are not there. 

Sounds good, but how do u check n with what equipment do u used to check n determine if a truck is overload when u conduct a spotcheck?

I hope more details like can be paid more attention to n enforce properly, if not its just another law which will be put to use by policeman trying to make a quick buck. 

Gosh heres  an idea instead of spraying the tarmac on so its  almost see thru  why not lay a decent  road to start with.............oh  sorry forgot, then there'll be no repair  job each year will there.