Has anyone recently installed CCTV at their house in Thailand

ghworker2010

26 minutes ago, Dtrump said:

I have 4 ups units that cost 3000 baht each.  With a little knowledge you can replace the batteries for 400 baht instead of the whole thing. 

A UPS needs special "Leisure" batteries which are designed to provide a steady, low amperage for many hours and allow deep discharge without any damage to the cells.

Car or lorry batteries are designed to give a huge amperage for a very short time (starting the engine) and may not be deeply discharged without damage to the cells.

Note that the cells used to power fork lift trucks fit well into the leisure type batteries and I know a number of people in Spain who are not on the mains electricity grid who use them in their systems. The charging sources are solar cells and or wind generators and even diesel/petrol generators as backup or high power for a washing machine etc..

The mains 220v output varies per system but 2Kw to 5Kw is typical and with sufficient battery reserve to provide up to a couple of days AC, providing you don't go mad!

For a security system a system would not need to be as huge, you would need to tot up the ampere hours for all devices to keep the system running and then buy a UPS with a bit more capacity than that.

Note also that if using Solar panels, their output drops as the temperature increases.

I found this out the hard way with a camper van equipped with a phone tracking security system which drew about 0.5 amps, 24 x 7!

Half an amp doesn't sound much but it adds up by the hour!

The panels fitted would have been fine if only they had provided the output as rated but in the semi dessert environment we lived in, they only gave about half the rated output.

True, this was about 15 years ago so check yourselves on how today's panels perform.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I deinstalled my old 8 camera system and brought it with from Europe. For 7k a company in Ubon Ratchathani did a very professional job of running cables through the ceiling, mounting the cameras, they used gang boxes where necessary, my eves are over 3 meters off the ground so nobody will be able to tamper with them easily. I have a UPS on the system and my fiber optic modem that can run for an hour or two with no power and it's all in a secure location in a locked room. 

My my only issue is with 3bb, I have a static IP and when using my phone to view remotely sometimes I need to remote it, find my new IP and enter it in the camera viewing software. 

They want ฿1000 a month extra for a static IP and for the one or two times I have to remote in to find out the new IP, it's not worth it. 

I tried a couple apps that were supposed to email me every time the IP changed but none of them worked reliably. 

I would suggest getting  the highest resolution cameras you can find and wide angle lenses to maximize  coverage. 

Edited by Guitar God

59 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Hi Naam, hope all is OK.

Guess those little suckers weigh a good few kilos. 

40 hours is way too long, but I might upgrade for a couple of hours.

something like 23kg each.

2 hours ago, laislica said:

A UPS needs special "Leisure" batteries which are designed to provide a steady, low amperage for many hours and allow deep discharge without any damage to the cells.

Car or lorry batteries are designed to give a huge amperage for a very short time (starting the engine) and may not be deeply discharged without damage to the cells.

i hear you and a zillion other theoreticians loud and clear and theoretically you are right.  however in practice, for 15 years in Florida and 10 years in Thailand, my truck batteries worked to my fullest satisfaction. it is of course advisable to check the voltage of the battery bank if the inverter does not monitor and switch off at a certain maximum discharge.

note: the batteries in my cars in Thailand have an average life span of 2-2½ years. the batteries of my power supplies last double that time. go figure!

13 minutes ago, Naam said:

i hear you and a zillion other theoreticians loud and clear and theoretically you are right.  however in practice, for 15 years in Florida and 10 years in Thailand, my truck batteries worked to my fullest satisfaction. it is of course advisable to check the voltage of the battery bank if the inverter does not monitor and switch off at a certain maximum discharge.

note: the batteries in my cars in Thailand have an average life span of 2-2½ years. the batteries of my power supplies last double that time. go figure!

Interesting.

How often did the UPS need to kick in and for how long?

I have a small UPS for my desktop computer in Spain because there is a limiter on the house mains and my lovely wife often trips it because she has everything in the kitchen on at once LOL

The UPS is in use probably every 2-3 weeks but only for a few minutes at a time.

However, if the power went off for a few hours, then I doubt that the UPS would have anything like the original capacity.

1 minute ago, laislica said:

Interesting.

How often did the UPS need to kick in and for how long?

I have a small UPS for my desktop computer in Spain because there is a limiter on the house mains and my lovely wife often trips it because she has everything in the kitchen on at once LOL

The UPS is in use probably every 2-3 weeks but only for a few minutes at a time.

However, if the power went off for a few hours, then I doubt that the UPS would have anything like the original capacity.

very irregular but due to a special protection board which switches off a brown-out phase it happens for a few minutes and up to 2 or more hours. if only the phase goes to which PCs or TVs are connected we won't even realise that the inverters took over because switching time is less than 20ms. we realise it when also one of the phases are off and an aircon or two stop working. i am referring to Thailand.

in Florida it was different. thunderstorm with high winds = power off 2-5 hours total power cut. immediately obvious because only single phase connection and central airconditioning. unlike Thailand we had only our PCs connected.

deep cycle batteries which are recommended for UPS are dàmn expensive in Thailand.

Disturbing to say the least.

I myself have reached the conclusion (a long time ago) that it is not really recommendable to live in a country (and invest in such a country), that requires CCTV, walls around the property, guard dogs & private security guards, just to assure that life can continue tomorrow without being harmed.

Tropical Paradise, indeed !
Cheers.

8 hours ago, Dtrump said:

Brand. V­STARCAM

• Image Sensor. 720P 1.0 megapixel, H264
  • Lens. 2.8~[email protected]/88~23˚
  • Digital Zoom. 4xOptical Zoom
  • Pan/Tilt RangeHorizontal.Pan:355°,Tilt:85°
  • Water proof grade. IP66 Waterproof
  • Min. Illumination. 0.8Lux/F1.4(color mode),0.3Lux/F1.4(B&W mode)
  • IR Range. 15m 22pcs
  • Memory. Support TF Card up to 64GB
  • ONVIF. Yes
  • Warranty 1Y

3bb records everything cheap much as I remember.

There is  now an upgraded version with 1920hd available from them.

I have the same as you, heres  the night shot...........outside is 100% dark, there are  no streetlights by me.....or streets  hahaah

night.jpg

14 minutes ago, swissie said:

I myself have reached the conclusion (a long time ago) that it is not really recommendable to live in a country (and invest in such a country), that requires CCTV, walls around the property, guard dogs & private security guards, just to assure that life can continue tomorrow without being harmed.

Cheers.

Ive had no incidents of  anything except  fish stealing before  we built and thats  due to the Thai way of thinking its "anyones  land" if it isnt walled/fenced

I dont even have gates just a 4.5  metre  opening at  both ends  of the land although tuther end is barricaded to stop dogs/cows  coming in when they go for a  stroll past.

I wanted but never  did  build a 400m2 house   as its  too easy to lose everything here, instead with  almost 2  years of looking found 15  rai for 800k for the lot not per  rai close to Hua  Hin and  built  two  small 50m2  houses myself, total outlay  less than  2  million baht, Wife owns the land obviously, so  little  time spent indoors is  not worth it ,also easy to keep cold 24/7 indoors  when small with just one 10000btu aircon and double  block  walls . my monthly  bill is 900 baht cold season 2000 baht hot season on  almost permanently.

Of  course not everyones cup of tea  but for  me my love of growing trees is the overiding choice also doesnt  look like I have anything worth stealing I  guess.....dont even have a  TV but he cameras  do let me see whats  going on and I can watch my one staff boy if  needs  be, not that i really have to.

Your  summary though could also apply to my home country of the UK

5 hours ago, Naam said:

heat

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Igor is the families cctv. :biggrin:

images (6).jpg

A dog is usually the best home crime prevention.  That being said, that training collar should only be worn during training sessions and it's not fitted properly for that either. If you are going to have an animal provide a valuable service for you at least you could offer him some reasonable comfort while doing so.

Edited by csabo

6 hours ago, Naam said:

very irregular but due to a special protection board which switches off a brown-out phase it happens for a few minutes and up to 2 or more hours. if only the phase goes to which PCs or TVs are connected we won't even realise that the inverters took over because switching time is less than 20ms. we realise it when also one of the phases are off and an aircon or two stop working. i am referring to Thailand.

in Florida it was different. thunderstorm with high winds = power off 2-5 hours total power cut. immediately obvious because only single phase connection and central airconditioning. unlike Thailand we had only our PCs connected.

deep cycle batteries which are recommended for UPS are dàmn expensive in Thailand.

About 400 baht

battery.jpg

2 hours ago, swissie said:

Cheers.

Me too, I live in Thailand :)

Don't waste your money on fancy cameras ..they will only record your murder if indeed it is going to happen ... as kwasaki has said get yourself a mean looking loyal dog ...he will work even when the power is out ..he does not record and does not need electric . 

But certainly will stop any threat coming to your home and provide company if your alone . 

I'm in two minds about CCTV, I suppose much depends upon where you live. CCTV could indicate you have something worth taking as could window bars, we have neither (and nothing really worth taking).

Anyone who wants to get into our property uninvited will have to swim the moat, climb 3-4 metres of vertical concrete and then get past the guard creatures. Those who have visited our home will know I'm not joking :)

None of the above are intentional security, just a by-product of being in a flood-prone area and defending ourselves against those upstream who decide their dam is full enough.

19 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If the thieves know you have CCTV, they will just wear a balaclava or similar.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

we had the maxwell wisdom alarm system firred through out the house,with an alarm that can be heard a mile away,also its conected to a phone,home and mobile as soon as it goes off.

a cctv was fitted to a property near us,now they wish they never installed it,unless you are glued to the monitor all day its not much use if  a thief was to cover their face.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Do you get 40 hours backup from them?

And they are sealed-lead acid, not necessarily deep-cycle.

A couple of hours which is enough time for me to do something about any intruder.  I'm notified if the power goes out and I call my stand by SAS team.  I use 4 UPS's, at 400baht a battery not much expense every two or three years.

15 minutes ago, meatboy said:

we had the maxwell wisdom alarm system firred through out the house,with an alarm that can be heard a mile away,also its conected to a phone,home and mobile as soon as it goes off.

a cctv was fitted to a property near us,now they wish they never installed it,unless you are glued to the monitor all day its not much use if  a thief was to cover their face.

When I like it is when I'm out at the mall and I want to hang around some more or eat a long dinner.  I have an alarm but it's nice to check the house and dogs to make sure everything is OK and I have a leisurely dinner.  I can also watch my wife when I'm not home.:passifier:

maybe something that takes DNA samples :) like some rusty nails !

Put a few cameras out that they can see , and hid the good ones !

But really there is not much you can do yourself  if the cameras send pictures to your phone and you are away , 

unless you are on good terms with the local cops , but the thieves probably have a look out and will be long gone when the cops get there.....

One thing is to make it hard to get anything out of the house ,  if they need to go out the same window they went in ,  it this will slow them down , 

If they can go thru the front or rear doors than they can clear you out quick , 

we have double key dead bolt locks with a key on both sides ,  now they cannot get out !

but also do not lock yourself in if there is a fire.....

Edited by BKKdreaming

55 minutes ago, meatboy said:

we do have a backup,our neighbours are on the phone system,and also MEAN looking dog,but he is second in line after me.

We have a 16 channel CCTV system for our house. It may act as a small visual deterrent, but if any burglar wants to have a go, he could easily do so when we are out (assuming they have been watching our movements).

He would then have to get past the two Ridgebacks that roam the garden (high walled house).

Assuming he gets past the dogs and into the house, the PIR alarm system would initiate, the alarm company would notify us by phone and we would then have the pleasure of watching the break-in in glorious Technicolor on our CCTV via mobile phone ................... splendid system. (The alarm company would also send the police !)

I can also use it to see when the wife goes out shopping, and it reminds me to tell her to buy me a few beers !:shock1:

I assume the dogs are pretty big , do they trigger the motion sensors on the cameras and give false warnings ?

what about trees blowing , birds that get too close etc ?

When I set up a "Game camera" in my back yard I got many false readings , most were the wind and clowds changing the background

4 hours ago, csabo said:

A dog is usually the best home crime prevention.  That being said, that training collar should only be worn during training sessions and it's not fitted properly for that either. If you are going to have an animal provide a valuable service for you at least you could offer him some reasonable comfort while doing so.

Point taken BTW it comes off when Igor is inside home perimeter,  l don't like him wearing at all but because of the owners of stupid 4 legged soi crap machines just roaming around he has to be restrained sometime.

The family don't want him infected or near the poxy things.  

Edited by Kwasaki

The OP mentions getting CCTV in response to some recent incidents. With that in mind the first level of security would be, dont involve yourself with prostitutes, money lenders, drug dealers, dubious business affairs, property disputes, and your risk is probably minimal.

Statistics show that most break ins are crimes of opportunity, so dont present an opportunity. 

You can have high definition video footage with dolby surround sound, stored on a secure ups powered server.

Unless the thieves are wearing name tags, probably not much use.

Putting your worldly possessions in a safe, bolted to the floor, is probably a good low tech solution.

cctv footage keeps you from useless pointing to the police when a break in occured,and can solve cases quickly.

Be sure to have hidden canm in the house as well.

We have dogs and had 6 more, all dead.......ya bua!

be careful all

45 minutes ago, hgma said:

cctv footage keeps you from useless pointing to the police when a break in occured,and can solve cases quickly.

Be sure to have hidden canm in the house as well.

We have dogs and had 6 more, all dead.......ya bua!

be careful all

As said if they disable cams & alarms or wear a mask what good is a camera.

How did your dogs meet there end.

The family dog is trained to not eat food from strangers because of poisoning.

Many on here makes wonder where all these break-ins or attempted ones happen l guess large towns the nearest to us is 14k away and hear of burglaries there, l guess our village is too poor or some thieves live in it. :biggrin: