Has anyone recently installed CCTV at their house in Thailand

ghworker2010

I use a combination of cctv plus alarms (all doors plus motion detectors, siren & smoke detectors), all accessible through mobile, alarms with SMS.

Signs on the walls "advertise" the security systems to keep out opportunist burglars. IF they get through all, they find my valuables (documents, watches, bankbooks etc) inside a wall & floor bolted 100kg safe with PIN & key locks. For everything else they steal, i have insurance.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember:Google is your friend!

Search term:

barking dog alarm system

Here is one of many offerings.....

Zennox Electronic Barking Guard Dog Intruder Security Alarm Sensor Activated External Speakers.
by Clifford James

Price:     £59.99
Sale:     £49.99

Promotion Message Buy 2, get 5% off 1 Promotion(s)
In stock.

A barking dog is one of the most effective deterrents for keeping burglars away from your home.
    This barking dog alarm, gives you the same level of security without the commitment or responsibility of owning a dog.
    Providing an effective deterrent when you are not at home, and an audible alert convincing others of a canine companion when you are, it uses radar technology to detect intruders through doors, walls and windows.
    Once triggered it gives out the sound of a vicious barking German shepherd dog protecting your home 24 hours a day.
    If desired it can be set to sound an alarm sound instead to let you know when anyone is approaching your door. Operated by AC adaptor 6 x AA batteries.

In Spain, our two friends who gave been burgled repeatedly live in large isolated properties.

One has hidden cameras and both have dogs and bars.

The thieves only visit when they are out. and it is a very real blight on their lives.

Thieves will break in through a wall or the roof.

In Thailand we live in a gated moo-ban which has good lighting.

We use the house less than 5 months/year and so far no probs.

It has window bars, as many houses do but, we do not have a car and we are regarded as the farang with no money, perhaps this helps?

Our houses, we have two, have their small gardens maintained by locals and family members often stay at weekends.

My wife organised the Thai Buddhist style house warmings so friends, family and locals got to enjoy the parties and get to know us somewhat.

We also have a plot of land in the countryside but I will not put a house on it because it will be isolated and therefore more vulnerable.....

It is however, an ideal spot for my wife to move to after I pass.

It would be built by a local neighbour and everyone around would know that there was nothing to steal.

The main problem for us Foreign Johnnies is the myth that we are all rich!

Edited by laislica
spelling (It's darl in ere LOL)

14 hours ago, laislica said:

Remember:Google is your friend!

Search term:

barking dog alarm system

Here is one of many offerings.....

Zennox Electronic Barking Guard Dog Intruder Security Alarm Sensor Activated External Speakers.
by Clifford James

Price:     £59.99
Sale:     £49.99

Promotion Message Buy 2, get 5% off 1 Promotion(s)
In stock.

A barking dog is one of the most effective deterrents for keeping burglars away from your home.
    This barking dog alarm, gives you the same level of security without the commitment or responsibility of owning a dog.
    Providing an effective deterrent when you are not at home, and an audible alert convincing others of a canine companion when you are, it uses radar technology to detect intruders through doors, walls and windows.
    Once triggered it gives out the sound of a vicious barking German shepherd dog protecting your home 24 hours a day.
    If desired it can be set to sound an alarm sound instead to let you know when anyone is approaching your door. Operated by AC adaptor 6 x AA batteries.

In Spain, our two friends who gave been burgled repeatedly live in large isolated properties.

One has hidden cameras and both have dogs and bars.

The thieves only visit when they are out. and it is a very real blight on their lives.

Thieves will break in through a wall or the roof.

In Thailand we live in a gated moo-ban which has good lighting.

We use the house less than 5 months/year and so far no probs.

It has window bars, as many houses do but, we do not have a car and we are regarded as the farang with no money, perhaps this helps?

Our houses, we have two, have their small gardens maintained by locals and family members often stay at weekends.

My wife organised the Thai Buddhist style house warmings so friends, family and locals got to enjoy the parties and get to know us somewhat.

We also have a plot of land in the countryside but I will not put a house on it because it will be isolated and therefore more vulnerable.....

It is however, an ideal spot for my wife to move to after I pass.

It would be built by a local neighbour and everyone around would know that there was nothing to steal.

The main problem for us Foreign Johnnies is the myth that we are all rich!

i to live on a gated moo-ban,but you dont mention the ever alert YAMS,I FORGOT TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.:sleep:

I think there are MP3 files of barking dogs if you want to make something yourself , 

youtube has a 12 hour barking video....

But this only helps if the bad guys are "traveling" thru your area ,  if they are local they know you do not have a dog , 

when we were in Hawaii they had guard "geese" that would make a lot of noise and "bite" intruders , 

Is there an easy way to set up a camera "flash" so they know a picture has been taken ?

Edited by BKKdreaming

• 8 months later...
On 11/9/2016 at 9:17 PM, ableguy said:

Had six cameras installed, four outside two inside the pictures are brilliant access by mobile phone anywhere in the world, 23,000 baht.

company PSI. They also do satellite dishes

ps pictures in full color .

i live in Korat but they are a national company with highly trained work force.

Just had PSI here today

3 outside cameras - One has a center camera & 3 at 120 deg - 3900 bht

- the other 2 are latest cameras ( can't find them on the Net )

Quote : 17,500 bht fitted by PSI Korat

If the cameras are to be installed due to a story about someone being murdered, then surely there is no reason to hide the actual physical cameras. As the point of them is to be a DETERRENT surely, not really to actually catch anything. If you are murdered (in a botched robbery or whatever), who did it is irrelevant to you, as you're already dead lol. What you want is for them to see the camera, and think, no too risky to hit this place. 

Have 8 cameras set up around the house. Purely as a deterrent and to watch the dogs. The thing that Thai's do when robbing a place with CCTV is just rip out the hard drive and take that with them. 

Wouldn't spent ridiculous amounts on CCTV unless you have ridiculous amounts to spend. A group of friends paid for mine as a moving away present from memory as they heard of the country being dangerous. 

Strategically placing them is probably more beneficial, than some crack CCTV system - as it doesn't physically stop the intruder so better spending the money on something that will. Other things like lighting, walls and dogs are a better bet. Also front fencing that can be seen through (like stainless steal bars helps). If one massive concrete wall, then the neighbours will not be able to look out for the house, and the dog deterrent is not as effective also. 

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 11:36 AM, colinneil said:

Sir  i do not entirely agree with you.

Yes cameras do not stop people stealing, but i find them a deterent.

As most members know i am paraplegic, as only wife and myself live here security is a major point.

I have cameras placed so they can be seen, reason being they should deter most thieves.

They are  day time/ nightime cameras.

I want people to see them, so they will go away and not try to get in.

Also the company i used were first class, no shoddy work everything was done to my complete satisfaction.

A 50 baht cap will render security cameras pointless, as the crooks can not be identified.

So, not really a deterrent if the crooks know they are there.

High steel fences topped with barbed wire will be more of a deterrent and cost less.

A big regret of mine is that I paid to put ours in.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, ghworker2010 said:

I appreciate all the opinions. 

What about installing all the cameras inside the house pointing at the main access points. Similar to the one photo of the member above that has a camera pointing at the door on the inside. that way no one knows we have CCTV until when they are trying to gain entry. do you think thats a better idea than having them on the outside?

That would only work if your windows were in the right places. Ours weren't.

I think the one inside is a good idea.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A 50 baht cap will render security cameras pointless, as the crooks can not be identified.

So, not really a deterrent if the crooks know they are there.

High steel fences topped with barbed wire will be more of a deterrent and cost less.

A big regret of mine is that I paid to put ours in.

Your biggest regret was having your fitted, crazy talk.

Since having ours fitted 4 years ago, no problems what so ever, before having cameras fitted several items were stolen.

I'm no CCTV expert, but the general idea should be to have the cameras covering each other's locations, plus have one (or more) HIGH, out of easy reach of two guys on shoulders. Obviously power and data connections need to be protected too. CCTV is really a deterrent in a domestic situation.

With our geese, guineas and viscous dogs (OK 2 Chihuahuas), we're pretty secure, but our home is rarely left unattended for long.

If live in a village, then usually the villagers are pretty good at keeping an eye out. Every time something as small as a sack of rice is stolen, you get your 15 odd villagers on their bikes chasing. That is where the see through fencing/gates are good. 

Front and back fence are see through bars or black cage type fencing (mostly for the view of the rice fields out back). This also makes it easier for the dog to work. Dog has caught numerous city people stealing mangoes (valuable) in the back farm land (not fenced) through our see through fence, came to tell us and we then went to investigate. They saw the dog outside of the fence (leashed) and they dropped and ran - leaving us with the picked mangoes.. Also the dog acts as an alarm. One night the villagers were at the temple (200m away), a drunk friend of the brother in law came to get something. The dog (puppy then) went to the next level (as I wasn't comfortable with the situation - he was smoking near my kid) and a few family members heard the dog and left the temple and came with sticks thinking we were being attacked - amazed the hell out of me them being able to differentiate between the other hundred dogs barking from that far away. 

The village know our land is locked and restricted to only us. Also everyone knows the dog's name, but also knows the dog decides who is allowed in when we aren't there (only the in-laws). So if anything happens the villagers are alerted. Only other thing we have is 4m side and back walls on outside, but 2m high on inside (way the land is - never floods), 2 plus metre fence at front...and a 'No Entry' sign. 

We will happily leave windows open (whilst at work) because of these things (and nothing much to steal). Also the bottom of our windows start at 2m high from the outside. Head of village house is 100m away so people always going past (extra eyes). So if you live in a village, it is kind of easy to play the social/environmental dynamics of the village. Our CCTV camera are 4-5m high and stand out like dog balls, but I would think that the fencing, dog, and village set up  are probably more effective forms of security. But CCTV was a gift so why not....some things for the OP to think about. 

Finishing the install now I hope 

have 3 x C3 cameras but will swap 1 to a C5 so it will show colour during the night

The man is having trouble with the Cat 5 cable - The box of cable must be faulty as he has swapped the connectors & even ran a dummy line with new connectors all to no avail 

This has taken most of the day, & now will go to shop & buy some from them