Hand held UHF/VHF radios in Cm - where to buy ?

Sandy Freckle

Last evening while walking outside moat near Chang Phrouak gate I spied across the road a shop with Icom, Yaesua and Kenwood stickers across the top of it's front window..., it was not far from the coffee machine supply joint. Today went back to that area and could not find it. Can anyone tune me in to the location this place or a similar place that might also sell hand held duel band radios..., maybe even sells the Chinese Wouxons or similar ? 

Stay away. You even need a license for the red CB radios, and you wont get that as non Thai. If you talk amateur radio, you need type approval for the equipment from NBTC in Bangkok after getting an operator and station license, there is a list of a few allowed radios. 70cm is not available in TH, neither is 6m.

10 hours ago, MadMac said:

Stay away. You even need a license for the red CB radios, and you wont get that as non Thai. If you talk amateur radio, you need type approval for the equipment from NBTC in Bangkok after getting an operator and station license, there is a list of a few allowed radios. 70cm is not available in TH, neither is 6m.

Yes righto thanks..., I'm hearing you'all..., put your typing fingers back in there collective holsters.

Yes, Amorn sells the walkie talkies.    I bought four of them recently.   My wife had to show her ID card to purchase.    The red units only, and do not require a license.    The black units, DO require a license.  We bought them at the Hang Dong (mai Hia) Big C.    I know they carry them at the Big C Extra location.

You guys play with fire, just saying. There need only to be one BiB stopping you and sees the radio on your seat and you are done. Locals hearing you will report you as well. Happened not only once. Up to you.

Edited by MadMac

4 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Re: dual band radios...., If I need them that bad I guess I can get them online.., and much cheaper usually..., back in my home country ;) Thank you all for enlightening me.

As mentioned earlier, a Thai can purchase the red radios. Importation of radios is illegal.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As mentioned earlier, a Thai can purchase the red radios. Importation of radios is illegal.

It's not, but you need an import license, which you only get after an operator and station license. Then you can get that import one, bring the radio to NBTC in BKK, get a sticker on it, and you are good to go. 

Been there, done that.

HS0ZLJ

It's not, but you need an import license, which you only get after an operator and station license. Then you can get that import one, bring the radio to NBTC in BKK, get a sticker on it, and you are good to go. 

Been there, done that.
HS0ZLJ

Just curious , can a ham operator from Europe (Scandinavia) operate legally from Thailand ? I have a license but not been active since late 90's.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You need to apply for a reciprocal license at NBTC. But there are only a few countries covered, I believe SM is. Suggest to check with RAST, they have English info and can help, besides that you have to become a member anyway :)