Sugar Shocker: Thai street drinks are loaded with sugar

webfact

Can someone tell me who is this small coconut ?

Must be a genius to write so interesting things all the time ?

The rule in Thailand if you buy any juice is to mi it with 4L of water then you get a not so sweet juice.

Or buy Malee light, only 30cal for 1 glass, because they are doing exactly what I said, they mix it with 4L of water and sell it more expensive:

https://www.marketingoops.com/media-ads/video/malee-sexy-bellyface/

Edited by abab

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my humble opinion,this is a secret conspiracy between the vendors of such drinks and food,and the dentistry practices across Thailand.(well Pattaya at least)

When i first came here,i was stunned by the gleaming,brilliant white smiles of the Thai girls,Bar girls especially.Most of them had never been to the dentist in their lives.I was quite embarrassed to smile. It occurred to me that being a Dentist in this mans town was not altogether,a profitable profession.Soooo,the Dentists and the vendors did a deal,put in loads of sugar and i will drop you a few baht for every patient that comes through the doors.

I see a few more dental practices around town now,than ever before.

I know its bo#####s but it could just be true.:crazy:

21 hours ago, tso310 said:

Surely not !

Isn't it obvious these drinks are loaded with sugar. So is Coke .... one can of Coke contains 6 teaspoons of sugar. 

But what most people don't know is that much of the fresh orange juice and pomegranate juice sold on the streets has added white sugar .... and a lot of the pomegranate has red dye added to make it appear richer.

Fortunately I found an honest vendor near my Suk. Soi 10 condo who does it right. My wife buys 24 bottles at a time of her pomegranate juice and we freeze it. Great stuff. 

1 hour ago, HerbalEd said:

Isn't it obvious these drinks are loaded with sugar. So is Coke .... one can of Coke contains 6 teaspoons of sugar. 

But what most people don't know is that much of the fresh orange juice and pomegranate juice sold on the streets has added white sugar .... and a lot of the pomegranate has red dye added to make it appear richer.

Fortunately I found an honest vendor near my Suk. Soi 10 condo who does it right. My wife buys 24 bottles at a time of her pomegranate juice and we freeze it. Great stuff. 

One can of  Coke or Pepsi  regular has 10-12 teaspoons of sugar!!

Not so long ago,monks were complaining about the sugar laden food that was delivered to them.Plus the coke,etc they drink.They don't even walk to collect alms these days,just sit on their arse all day,maybe sweep a few leaves.This will be a diabetic explosion in the future.

19 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Serving their drinks in plastic bags and containers. Most discarded into the bushes or thrown out of cars or motorcycles. Some left on anything that you can hook a plastic bag on.

And how the animals suffer!!

1478867067198.jpg1478867078821.jpg1478867092141.jpg1478867107447.jpg

Just seen a doco on Thai tv,that had a dead whale who stomach was full of plastic.Looks like squid,underwater.Humans are a disgrace.

22 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I had cow pat (fried rice with prawns or pork or chicken) the other day from a street stall. The wife poured sugar over it when I wasn't looking, my goodness was it horrible. I ate 2 spoonfuls and left the rest, she does the same thing when we eat noodles, puts sugar in it. Why?

Also at work the boss gives us all free coffee and tea in our staff room. We don't use milk, we use coffee mate instead. I put one spoonful of each into my drink but the Thai's load their drinks with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of each.

Another worry for me is when I buy orange juice at my local market, is that sugar free or loaded with sugar? Soar fruit dipped in sugar and spice, sticky rice, how much sugar is in that? Ice cream sold locally? And the biggy, what about Thai beer, how many calories in a litre? I'm guessing 200 cal.

But, what suprises me most is like my missus, most Thai's are not fat, not fit, but not fat. Why is that? High metabolism in Asian people or natural born fat burners.

Most are not fat because they eat every two hours or it seems that way. That keeps their metabolism high. Athletes eat the same way. It's all the fat food from Western Fast food outlets causing a lot of weight gain.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

I agree with the news article and most of the comments here about too much sugar in drinks.

But what you wrote is simply not true.

First, yes, juices contain naturally a lot of sugar, fruit sugar.
But there is no sugar added in 100% fruit juice. You can run a lab test to determine if the sugar comes from the own fruits or is added from any other source.

Second, what you describe with the apple and orange juice is an oxidation reaction with the ambient air.
The non-refrigerated juice you can buy is pasteurised, aseptic packed and the air space in the packaging filled with N2 Gas to prevent spoilage from oxidation.

However, you should limit the daily consumption of juice and eat the whole fruit instead because it contains fibre and other things which are removed from the juice during processing.

I did not say sugar added in 100% natural fruit juices on shelf, what i meant r the preservatives that r added in these fruit juices that r harmful for u. The labels r misleading if it says no sugar n no additives no preservatives. package fruit juices cannot last that long without them. n naturally these package fruit juices will be high in sugar content as well. u can calculate how much oranges it takes to fill a glass. thats how much sugar it will bd in there minus the fibre n goodness of s whole fruit. my dad took so much fruit juices thinking it be so good for him that he is now diabetic n his blood sugar got high. after stopping he is now muvh better but the damage is done. he is still diabetic.

As for the comment on sugar added in fruit juices. if u go to a thai local market n buy the seemingly freshly squeezed bottled orange juices, they add sugar in those to make em sweet. i was answering a qns from another mate cos i have seen n tasted b4 what these orange juices r like with n without sugar.

Freshly squeezed orange juice will never look n taste like nicely packaged n bottled orange juice. 

"An average streetside plastic cup of the stuff contains a whopping 15.5 teaspoons of sugar."

What size of teaspoon did this expert use?

On food labels, the sugar content is generally indicated in grammes, in the USA perhaps in ounces.

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

"An average streetside plastic cup of the stuff contains a whopping 15.5 teaspoons of sugar."

What size of teaspoon did this expert use?

On food labels, the sugar content is generally indicated in grammes, in the USA perhaps in ounces.

Capture.PNG