Getting products to market -- Can I use a trailer?

Monomial

I am looking for an inexpensive way to get produce from the village down to Talat Thai north of Bangkok. I am looking to do at least 3 tons per trip, and I don't want issues with the boys in brown, so I'd like to avoid the typical solution of dangerously overloading of a pickup.

A 6 wheeled truck is a possibility, but it is substantially more of an investment than I want to make.

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with hauling agricultural products on a street legal utility trailer? Is there any reason this can't be done? I know articulated vehicles are not legal in Bangkok, but Talat Thai is actually in Pathumthani, so this wouldn't seem to be an issue. Has anyone tried this before, or know someplace or someone who sells registered trailers? Can I drive a truck+trailer on a standard license?

Ideally I'd like to get a second hand model if possible, and keep the investment costs down to around 50,000.

Any advice or experience with this is appreciated.

Hi Momomial

Using a trailer is a good idea , if you can find  one ,a local engineering shop  could make one ,back  axle  from an old  pick up ,as the  axle  for the trailer ,channel iron for the chassis  ,and a steel body ,a  solid trailer  but a lot of weight ,I would say  using second hand steel  should  be able to make one for  bit  under 15 000 Baht ,I have seen  aluminium  bodied  trailers ,if they are made locally or are imported ,I do not  know ,they would be  a lot more  expensive .have a look at  Thai  Google , and  make shore  it has brakes on  never seen a Thai trailer with brakes .

A trailer as long as it has lights and indicators ,that work  should not be a problem ,as for driving  a pickup with a trailer on a standard licence  and the law ,ask your  local police .I live in a big cattle area ,and I see  pickups and trailers  hauling cattle all the time, trailers with  no lights  or  indicators at all  ,never seen one stopped by the local police

3 ton of your  produce is a lot bulk ,you do not say what it is ,3 ton of  mangos would  fit into a back of a pick up ,but would you get 3 ton of say  vegetables   into a pickup and  trailer ,a lot of  bulk , I am  about 100 km from the Datat  Thai ,and  I often see pick ups loaded with  sweet corn ,or  cabbages  pass by  here  on they way to the Dalart  Thai ,the way they are sitting well down  on the  rear shock absorbers  they must have 2 ton + on board .

I have a Thai friend who sells cassava waist for cattle feed  , direct from the factory ,very wet   he has said he can get 4 ton on a pick ,he has beefed up the back axel and the shock absorber's ,for the extra  weight ,he said  the police never bother him  .

I use to  drive a  van and trailer in the uk ,and a Land rover and horse box ,before that  never a problem ,not over fast ,had to think the whole time about the length of the outfit ,but here in  Thailand  ,the way they drive ,could have problems .

you might look if any of the front wheel drive vans have a straight axle in the back you can use , 

better than a rear wheel drive axle , 

also in Germany its the law that trailers have hand brakes so they do not roll away when parked , 

I always thought that was a good idea and could be rigged up with the handbrake cables .....

I've use trailers a lot in my work, but not in Thailand so I don't know the legalities. But consider that 3 tons is an overload for a pick up, and it's also a lot of weight for a trailer behind a small pick up unless you have trailer brakes. And then consider having to back a trailer at your point of delivery. Are you experienced in backing a trailer and how tight is the parking, turn around and off-loading area? 

I think a 6 wheeler is the best idea if you can find an affordable one, appropriate for the weight, and much easier to manuever.

Have you considered Nim See Seng or other delivery service? My wife used them regularly for delivery of food products from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, but not for anything close to 3 tons. http://www.nimtransport.com/web/service.php?idvis=1

Probably the best and easiest way is to hire a six wheeler. Many sit idle for most of the year. Those owners would be happy to have even a little work. My wife has two trailers, one can haul two tonne and the other five tonne. She once put three tonne of sugarcane on the small trailer and bent the axle. That's when she bought a second hand five ton capacity trailer.

She pulls then with my small four wheel drive diesel tractor. No way would they be suitable to be pulled with a pickup. During a very wet rice harvest period, she pulls small trailers out of muddy fields. The Kubota tak taks are useless in the mud. The farmers pay her with some paddy rice. It's more of a favor to the farmers than anything else. And yes, she drives the tractor herself.