Antibiotic abuse killing thousands in Thailand

webfact

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, BKKdreaming said:

Has anyone tried this in thailand ?

and how long does it take to cultivate the bacteria ?

People want "instant" help , and i doubt most want to wait for the results !

But most things like colds and flu go away after a few days with no drugs :)

I grew up getting lots of bugs, in New Zealand and Australia they used to send my sputum off for cultivation. This is no longer done as they save themselves the trouble by prescribing a very broad based antbiotic that should get the bug and if you are still sick at the end of that course they just prescribe you a different antibiotic. To be honest they always managed to give me an antibiotic that worked.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mook23

I heard you there.Especially with the doctor telling you that you were more educated than Thai's.

So he was really admitting that he can misprescribe and get away with it.

I had a friend come over a few years ago and he suffers with cervical Dystonia,i dont know if youve ever heard of it,its not common.Anyway he was toying with coming over for a year.While he was here, he inquired how much his monthly injections of Botulinum would cost.He visited several hospitals.Most of them didnt even know what the affliction was.One doctor did,and my friend was quoted 24,000 baht for each one.

But i also remember the post on here about 3 months ago, about the lady of 45,who went to her doctor and told him she had a ferang boyfriend and what was the best type of contraception for her at her age.The doctor asked her boyfriends age,she replied that he was 61.The doctor,waved her away and  told her(and this is gospel) 'not to be so concerned because ferang men over 60 cannot make babies' Gods honest truth.

Do the medical profession here doesnt exactly inspire me with confidence

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:55 PM, trogers said:

The word - Control!

The word is access to cheap health care. There is always a trade off between control and the access to healthcare. The more control you have the more expensive healthcare becomes and the less accessible it becomes. In the west they have chosen extreme control / nanny control that's why they have extreme medical costs. The answer should be education and better advise at the point of sale. Many pharmacies sell antibiotics to people without a pharmacist to provide the correct advise, that should be stopped.

38 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The word is access to cheap health care. There is always a trade off between control and the access to healthcare. The more control you have the more expensive healthcare becomes and the less accessible it becomes. In the west they have chosen extreme control / nanny control that's why they have extreme medical costs. The answer should be education and better advise at the point of sale. Many pharmacies sell antibiotics to people without a pharmacist to provide the correct advise, that should be stopped.

Control not only in access, but also price control of locally produced drugs.

You cannot educate those of would not listen. See them overloading their trucks to the extend of tipping them over...and not out of ignorance.

What would stop the extensive use in husbandry?

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:42 AM, jerojero said:

Not surprised. Wife's family used to take penicillin every time they caught a cold or sore throat, until I emphatically explained the difference between bacteria and viruses....and penicillin useless against viruses.

Surprisingly, even in Singapore where I spend a lot of my time, docs hand out antibiotics like candy. The slightest ailment and they'll give you some antibiotics just in case... very shocked by this when I first moved there from Canada 16 years back. I think part of the problem is that docs also make money of prescriptions, so there's an incentive to prescribe antibiotics for a sore throat or a bad sneeze. [In Canada, docs don't make money off prescriptions... they cannot sell you the medications they prescribe]. But the other problem is that in Thailand, the pharmacists don't act professionally... they will sell you prescription meds (at least certain meds) without a doc's prescription.

My gf is careful with antibiotics now and makes sure she completes a course when needed. But she said that in the past she would stop taking antibiotics when her symptoms went away. This is how superbugs start. She had more recently begun to understand that one must finish their prescribed course of antibiotics, but she thought that the result of not finishing them would be that she (alone) would become more susceptible to bacterial infection. I gave her a mini-course on how evolution works, and explained that she was just potentially harming herself but also family, friends, and the wider population. The Thai public needs to be educated on this stuff... [and I didn't even get into the differences between bacteria and viruses]

5 hours ago, Docno said:

My gf is careful with antibiotics now and makes sure she completes a course when needed. But she said that in the past she would stop taking antibiotics when her symptoms went away. This is how superbugs start. She had more recently begun to understand that one must finish their prescribed course of antibiotics, but she thought that the result of not finishing them would be that she (alone) would become more susceptible to bacterial infection. I gave her a mini-course on how evolution works, and explained that she was just potentially harming herself but also family, friends, and the wider population. The Thai public needs to be educated on this stuff... [and I didn't even get into the differences between bacteria and viruses]

is there a Website or YouTube video in Thai that explains this ?

there are a few people around me I would like to "educate"

thanks

This practice of only eating enough pills to make the symptoms go away bothered me 40 years ago when I was in Thailand.  And small-town Docs always wanted to give you a shot of something.  Who knows what it was. Back then, they had just recently restricted over-the-counter amphetamines.  Too many truck drivers driving day and night on speed until they died on the highway.  (Do they still have impound yards near rural police stations full of "Orange Crush" busses?)