Loy Krathong, who understands it?

kalbo123

5 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Thais seem to have very little grasp of why they do most things.

Personally, I could not say that..., I reckon generally, we have less understanding of Thai ways than the average Thai would probably like us to have. I reckon it's their bat, ball n game and I'm thinking I shouldn't judge them via the prism of my western mind..., but.., moreover 'try' to fit into their culture and ways etc. It's an ongoing, work in progress. 

I think Ying Dee/Loi Krathong is a wonderful festival..., I would love it if we were able to have a similar festival in my home country..., with similarly symbolic lanterns launched into the heavens..., maybe something with a name like 'The Festival of Forgiveness and New Beginnings '..., but the fuel loading and fire danger is way too high..., and there's often too much wind....., and then there's the fact that way too many stressed people would prefer to bury the hatchet in less positive and more destructive ways..., like in someones head or back..., or through a windscreen of another's car while stopped at an intersection...., and that's exactly why the West could use a festival or 3 like Loi Krathong :wai:

Well said Sandy. As you will have realised ThaiVisa is well populated by bored and ill mannered old farts who can do little but criticise. I was at Sapan Nawarat last night and there was a wonderful atmosphere, with many khum loy being fired up and released. The monochrome floats in the parade were most attractive and the whole evening was one of restrained fun. In fact more enjoyable than when we have fireworks being set off all over the place.

And my trip into the old city and along the river at ten am this morning showed not a race of litter from last night. The city authorities do an excellent job for these festivals, and we do not give them sufficient credit for the hard work that their crews put in on out behalf.

Archived