Call for boost to tourism safety and security

webfact

Call for boost to tourism safety and security
By SUCHAT SRITAMA 
THE NATION 

BANGKOK: -- TOURISM-industry leaders have urged readiness to tackle safety and security issues as the sector is disrupted by many challenges.

David Scowsill, president and chief executive officer of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), said recently that safety, security and facilitation were high priorities for the tourism sector, and significant investment had been made in initiatives to promote these priorities across airlines, airports, cruise lines, ports, attractions and hotels. 

However, he said security threats could only be effectively addressed through strong and concerted collaborative efforts by governments, the international community, the private sector and civil society. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/macroeconomics/30299976

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-15

“… significant investment had been made in initiatives to promote these priorities across airlines, airports, cruise lines, ports, attractions and hotels. 

How about a little investment to ensure safety of tourists after they arrive. After all, the murders and sexual assaults we've been reading about were committed by people living here.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Always had a sense that tourists are to be preyed upon in Thailand.  Start with changing the attitudes of those serving in the tourist areas. 

I didn't have a ballpoint with me so i couldn't fill in the immigrationcard. At don muang there was 1 !! pen on the counter and there was a long qeueu waiting to use it :blink:

Then i asked the girl who arranged the immigrationqeueu's and she said she couldn't help me and walked away. 

So i went in the qeueu and asked the immigration-officer for a ballpoint. She referred me to the desk with 1 pen and said she didn't have one for me. I told her i couldn't fill in the paperwork without it so reluctantly she opened her suitcase and boroghed me pen.

Welcome to Thailand, in Singapore there are plenty of desks with ballpoints and the whole airport looks 10 times better.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Always had a sense that tourists are to be preyed upon in Thailand.  Start with changing the attitudes of those serving in the tourist areas. 

Starting a "Beware of Smiling Faces" program including bumper stickers, pamphlets and pins with the prime minister's photo on them and issued at every entry point might help.

I went to Mexican tourist areas many times, They do not allow the locals or workers to treat a tourist badly, If they do they are usually gone the next day. They need the business more I guess. I Saw this first hand as my flirtatious girlfreind at the time was flirting with a bartender that even came to the other side of the bar to sit with her. I didn't care and thought it was harmless. The next day we were there and asked where he was and were told he was sent home for inappropriate behavior.  I though it was a bit over the top but I guess they are to know better.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I didn't have a ballpoint with me so i couldn't fill in the immigrationcard. At don muang there was 1 !! pen on the counter and there was a long qeueu waiting to use it :blink:

Then i asked the girl who arranged the immigrationqeueu's and she said she couldn't help me and walked away. 

So i went in the qeueu and asked the immigration-officer for a ballpoint. She referred me to the desk with 1 pen and said she didn't have one for me. I told her i couldn't fill in the paperwork without it so reluctantly she opened her suitcase and boroghed me pen.

Welcome to Thailand, in Singapore there are plenty of desks with ballpoints and the whole airport looks 10 times better.

You base your travel plans on the number of pens ? How many pens get stolen or taken by accident during the day. They might have had 10 pens there 30 minutes before you arrived.  Why not fill in the immigration card on the flight. Ask the person sitting beside you to borrow for 5 minutes. It seems like you are travel a lot. I find it hard to believe that you would not travel with a 10 baht pen in your bag ? Just in the 5 minutes that you wasted filling in the card at immigration; instead of being organized and completing the form on the plane. I bet that 100 people got in Line before you did. At 10 people per line. You wasted another 20 minutes waiting. If you had been organized and completed the form before; you would have nothing to complain out in Thailand ?

15 minutes ago, bark said:

You base your travel plans on the number of pens ? How many pens get stolen or taken by accident during the day. They might have had 10 pens there 30 minutes before you arrived.  Why not fill in the immigration card on the flight. Ask the person sitting beside you to borrow for 5 minutes. It seems like you are travel a lot. I find it hard to believe that you would not travel with a 10 baht pen in your bag ? Just in the 5 minutes that you wasted filling in the card at immigration; instead of being organized and completing the form on the plane. I bet that 100 people got in Line before you did. At 10 people per line. You wasted another 20 minutes waiting. If you had been organized and completed the form before; you would have nothing to complain out in Thailand ?

Mate i'm very organised, so organised i even bought myself an expensive purse for men...but guess what? I forgot to bring it since i never use it in Thailand, it's just too expensive to carry around here or they will all charge me double prices if they see it.

Why not give EVERY person coming to thailand a free pen with the text "welcome to Thailand!"?? Will that be too expensive for them? OR what about having pens on chains at the airport? That costs too much brainpower to think off?

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Mate i'm very organised, so organised i even bought myself an expensive purse for men...but guess what? I forgot to bring it since i never use it in Thailand, it's just too expensive to carry around here or they will all charge me double prices if they see it.

Why not give EVERY person coming to thailand a free pen with the text "welcome to Thailand!"?? Will that be too expensive for them? OR what about having pens on chains at the airport? That costs too much brainpower to think off?

I guess from now on you will carry a pen in your back pack !

36 minutes ago, tonray said:
37 minutes ago, tonray said:

I am waiting for the "Get your Kicks (in the Head) at Hua Hin" ad campaign. That should be a winner !

I am waiting for the "Get your Kicks (in the Head) at Hua Hin" ad campaign. That should be a winner !

It would have a better ring to it if they rename the main drag to route 66  :smile: